Forgive me, MFP for i have sinned

Options

Replies

• Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    mayawalz wrote: »
    Please, to all you superstars who have won and are still winning the battle of the flab, where do you get the self control to just turn away from all the sweet and unhealthy goodies in life? How do you just not eat them? Sorry for the rant

Im still working on my battle, but I don't end up over indulging on foods I cant have, because there are no foods I cant have. Just knowing I can eat something whenever I want to keeps me from going bat-s**t crazy when I finally get my hands on it lol Instead I just have a bit and work it into my day without feeling guilty about it.

Im in this to win it, Im in this as a lifestyle. Telling myself I can never eat something ever again, especially if its something I love, would be unrealistic and setting myself up for failure. I don't want to fail, so for me, self control means not allowing myself to do things that will cause me to fail...like deciding I cant have chocolate when I know full well I will want to one day.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with chocolate, in moderation. What's the problem?

For some people (me included), the moderation part is the problem. For some people, it would almost be comparable to telling an alcoholic it's all right to have one drink. I have had a problem like this since I was a child, have had therapy because of it, and it still plagues me. So for my own good, I'm not having chocolate, and to be honest, I'm not missing it one bit.

But I know if I were to get that mad craving, the kind that throws all good judgement out the window, I would binge on chocolate, but not dark. Milk chocolate, preferably in a pie. One day, I hope to develop the ability to eat sweets in moderation, but for now, no way.

did you just compare a piece of chocolate to offering an alcoholic a drink?????

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Honestly... Moderation. I actually have a bit of chocolate or ice cream most days so I don't get those crazy cravings that make you eat the whole box. I haven't had a binge in 10 days since I started doing that, which is pretty amazing for me as I've been stuck in the binging/restricting cycle for months.

So, if I have calories left, you bet I'll have a piece of chocolate.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I seem to be losing weight faster since I started eating chocolate frequently. I probably needed more fat in my diet.

The bars that I am eating are hazelnuts covered in dark chocolate--a fairly small portion.

Chocolate has antioxidants, phytochemicals--it's not a nutritionally empty food. If it fits your goals for the day, why not?
  • bababs89
    bababs89 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is my weakness too. I actually eat chocolate almost everyday - it helps me avoid chocolate cravings and binges! Don't stress out about eating it, just work towards moderation!
  • TheEats
    TheEats Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Please, do not be hard on yourself. Log it (you are in control of your logging, it is an important psychological step in my opinion) and move on.

As for the future, speaking as a fellow chocolate-lover: I -always- keep 85% cocoa chocolate in my bag and on my desk. It is a healthy addition to my diet and it is nearly impossible to eat more than two squares at a time, which adds up to about 120 calories. It takes care of the chocolate craving 90 % of the time.

Other times, I actually just want soft, sweet milk chocolate and no super-dark chocolate is going to fill that craving - and then I have some. I have learned to buy 100 grams, max, at a time. If I buy 200 gram bars, I am going to eat it all, so it is far better to do a controlled purchase.
  • JordisTSM
    JordisTSM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I've lost 29lbs so far since the start of this year and the main thing that has helped has been all the advice on MFP to not demonize food, and to eat what I like, just in moderation. To that end, I always make room at the end of my day for some ice cream and chocolate. I don't feel deprived, and it is much easier to say no to overeating during the day if it means I can't fit in my dessert :)

As for today, don't beat yourself up. Just log it, and move on. In the grand scheme of things, this wont even register as a blip.

Good luck :smiley:
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    I eat chocolate pretty much every day. I get the GOOD stuff and enjoy a small, rich, delicious portion. Because I let myself have it every day, I never feel deprived and I am comfortable with how much I get to savor on.

The only exception is the first two days of my period. During that time, I eat a lot of chocolate and drink a lot of milk. At first, I would eat 6-8 setvings of chocolate for each of those days, but I am now comfortable with half that as an indulgence.
  • LoveMyBabes3
    LoveMyBabes3 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I ate an entire family size bag of gummy life savers, some ice cream and some pizza this week. I was afraid to weigh today cause I knew it was a horrible week but I got on the scale. I was shocked to see I was down 1.5 pounds. All the good habits help so don't let one slip get you off track for the whole day or week. Instead log everything from today so you can see how a small slip isn't that big of deal and you can do that occasionally.
  • allenpriest
    allenpriest Posts: 1,102 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Make the next right choice.You can't change what is done so move on and don't let the bad choice define the whole day or worse cause you to quit.

You can eat whatever you want In moderation. If you are "dieting" you are likely to struggle. If you are deciding to make a change in your lifestyle, it is much easier. Attitude makes a huge difference.
  • txrn123
    txrn123 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Just think of it as starting anew the next day. I overate and overdrank when I went away last week for my bday 4 day weekend..yeah, I gained a couple pounds BUT got back on track and yesterday the scale had me 2 pounds lighter then before my celebrations!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I eat chocolate nearly every day. Mmm! Chocolate! Because I can eat it (within my calorie goals), I don't end up going crazy and overeating it, bar after bar. Works out great.

• mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I have lost 123 pounds and been maintaining for a year. Yesterday I ate a tub and a half of Ben and Jerrys ice cream. When I was done with that deliciousness, I told myself "no guilt"
    The trick is you just carry on. In the big scheme of things one day doesnt matter. What screwed me up for years, and screws up a lot of us I think, is the process that we go through. 1. We attempt to lose weight. 2. We have a meal or a snack or a day where we over eat. 3. We indulge in self loathing, shame and guilt. 4. We give up because we tell ourselves we just can do this. This thought process is what caused me to fail for years. It's perfectly ok to mess up sometimes, were only human, the trick is to just keep going and forgive yourself. I still struggle with this sometimes, but I think it's important to not let our food govern how we define the kind of person we are.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with chocolate, in moderation. What's the problem?

For some people (me included), the moderation part is the problem. For some people, it would almost be comparable to telling an alcoholic it's all right to have one drink. I have had a problem like this since I was a child, have had therapy because of it, and it still plagues me. So for my own good, I'm not having chocolate, and to be honest, I'm not missing it one bit.

But I know if I were to get that mad craving, the kind that throws all good judgement out the window, I would binge on chocolate, but not dark. Milk chocolate, preferably in a pie. One day, I hope to develop the ability to eat sweets in moderation, but for now, no way.

Oh man, I can't believe you said that (bold part). Many a recovering alcoholic would vehemently disagree with you. Even someone me, who is not an alcoholic but has been dealing with practicing and recovering alcoholics her entire life, is put off with that statement.

If you eat too much, you can always moderate food. Overeating means you are not practicing willpower.

If you're an alcoholic, you cannot moderate, you must eliminate booze. While the first step is to stop drinking, alcoholism is a disease and requires abstinence.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    "For some people, it would almost be comparable to telling an alcoholic it's all right to have one drink"

My gosh keep it in your pants its an analogy that makes sense to people WHO CANNOT EAT ANY CHOCOLATE...BECAUSE THEY HAVE A CHOCOLATE OR SUGAR ADDICTION.

Addiction is addiction.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    laurielima wrote: »
    "For some people, it would almost be comparable to telling an alcoholic it's all right to have one drink"

My gosh keep it in your pants its an analogy that makes sense to people WHO CANNOT EAT ANY CHOCOLATE...BECAUSE THEY HAVE A CHOCOLATE OR SUGAR ADDICTION.

Addiction is addiction.

No it's not, you can't do it because you haven't learned how to. Moderation takes learning. Are you snorting sugar to fill your addiction?
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate almost every day. I get individually wrapped ones, and only eat one or two. Sometimes I want more, but I just remind myself that I can have another one tomorrow. They fit into my day pretty easily. I'm a fan of Dove, myself.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    addiction is addiction. yeah it is!
  • Juvenica
    Juvenica Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Rome wasn't build in a day girl ! cut urself some slack!
    my mothers birthday was yesterday and we had a delicious chocolate cake, I had 3 slices during the day and needless to say I loved every bite but the feeling at the end of the day.I had gained a pound and a half so what?! It'll take me a week more to lose it and that's what I'm up for , but at least I enjoyed yesterday to the max :smiley: