Cutting carbs

Options

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should get your protein based on levels of your body weight (0.6-0.8 grams per pound body weight as someone else pointed out) and not a percentage; and that percentage is pretty high for people who follow low carb.

You said you were trying low carb because you aren't seeing the scale move; that may be because you are eating more than you think or you are eating at too high of an intake level to lose at the rate you expect.

Try low carb if you like, but keep in mind that calorie deficit is key. You may find it easier to stick to a lower calorie goal with low carb, you may find that low carb doesn't work for you. Either way, make sure you're logging accurately and hitting your daily goal.

As for low carb, you seem to essentially want to do low carb vegetarian (well, not no meat, but low meat since you don't like eating it). I'd imagine it's doable, but a lot of the protein sources are going to also be carb sources. Many people doing low carb go by "net" carbs which is the grams of carbs minus the carbs of fiber. So, things like beans and lentils would be good because they are higher in protein and fiber even though they have a lot of carbs.

I don't do low carb, so I'm not a lot of help; definitely check out the group that others are mentioning.
  • LunaKate
    LunaKate Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I know some of it is water weight but I also feel so much better. Ive always hated exercising but now I have so much energy I want to. I tried a lot of things, even vegan for a time but felt like it was always a struggle. I like eating like this, it works well for ME. I know it isnt for everyone. But it also doesnt mean Im wrong and that others might not benefit from trying something new.

Einstein said "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results."
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

And you think OP is going to be able to hit 55% protein with that stuff? I use all that stuff to help me hit my protein goals along with a lot of meat, poultry, and fish...and my protein intake is still only usually around 30%.

I mean, I agree that I would swap out the protein for higher fat if I were to do this...if one doesn't like meat, I think a 55% protein goal is pretty lofty, don't you?[/quote]

Nope, I think the OP asked for "any suggestions on what to eat" to help her reach her goals, not what her goals should be. I think the OP has some more researching to do and that the link could be a place to start. That's what I think, thanks for asking though.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    kgutz90 wrote: »
    Ok so I've decided to play around with my macro. Before this I would just eat my daily allowance of calories but I'm at a stand still and want to try something different to see if it works for my body. I don't eat a lot of meat, just chicken and fish once in a while so it's hard for me to get in protein without the carbs. Right now I've decided on 15% carbs, 30% fat and 55% protein. Any suggestions on what to eat... Normally I've been eating around 100-120g carbs per day so this should be a challenge...
    What's your reason for such a high amount of protein?
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    If low-carbing is suicide, I'm taking a d*mn long time to die...
    I've had enough time to lose 84lbs, get healthy, and run 3 times a week. Oh, and lift twice weekly. But certainly us low-carbers will all drop dead any minute now. I'm sure there'll be a party. Make sure there's bacon-wrapped cheese, ok. That's my death-bed request.

Go on, you nearly typed bacon sandwich, admit it!!

• JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Im just gonna pop some popcorn and enjoy the show lol! WoW!
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »
    Brolympus wrote: »
    Honestly, no point in trying to reduce a macro nutrient group that low. If it is weight loss that you are worried about, just keep calibrating your calories down by 100 every 2 weeks (preferably through increased exercise) until you see consistent 1 lbs weight loss. Decreasing carb intake a little bit over normal consumption can be helpful to weight loss, but going super low carb is a great way to have low energy all the time and loose muscle mass. Carbs are muscle sparing. You some carbs in your diet, just make sure they are slow burning carbs (low glycemic index) A more reasonable macro split, like a 30/25/45 (f/c/p) is probably more sustainable over the long run.

She asking for suggestions on what to eat based on her desire to eat 15% carbs, 30% fat and 55% protein. She's not asking whether this is a good idea or not.

But she did say that she is at a stand still and doesn't know what to do. Taking my macros to those figures would be the last thing I would suggest. It just doesn't work in the long run. I did low carb for years and my results were subpar on every level compared to what I do now.

I know even though you can see that I am in peak condition you won't ask what I do now, because you've made your mind up that low carbing is the way, because you lost weight. I was like that too, but it's such a difficult lifestyle and it really screws with your brain chemistry. It becomes impossible to do long term.

When you discover carbs again, combined with calorie control, you won't believe how good you feel, and how well you perform.

• JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    LunaKate wrote: »
    I have been eating less than 20g of carbs for a week now, I have way more energy, Im not hungry, and Ive lost 5 lbs.

Placebo effects are awesome.

+1 for non sequitur of the decade.

lol I had to google to see what non sequitur was...I feel so dumb now

But I agree...
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    KangFuJie wrote: »
    I stepped down from approximately your daily goals to just less than 82 carbs per day. The two (2) keys were:

(1)searching my local food suppliers for less carb foods that were already part of my 120-130 goal as those food selections I had been eating were balanced and I was not starved or lacking the nutriments needed.

Step down examples: Pepperidge Farms Light Style bread--each slice 9 carbs; Half & Half (dairy) as it has less carbs and less fat than reduced fat milk; Spagetti squash in place of pasta; Coconut Oil rather than other oils; No carb salad dressings, etc.

(2) less portions and eating more frequently--up to five meals per day.

In my city we have free seminars at diabetic clinics where doctors, food scientists, and dieticians provide all sorts of free information. Their information is a good source of planned diets and foods. I'm not diabetic, but following some of the programs has lowered my weight by 50 pounds, decreased my waist by 4 inches, caused less dental issues with gum pockets, etc. due to sugar, and has given me more stamina, better sleep, and overall better general health.

You can do it!

I have done this as well- the suggestions above anyway. But I only get 30 carbs a day - my dr prescribed diet for my PCOS (I am one of those have to be for medical reasons low carbers)

I just google low carb recipes- had to do this for thankgiving- there are a lot of good websites out there with awesome recipes!
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I've had enough time to lose 84lbs, get healthy, and run 3 times a week. Oh, and lift twice weekly. But certainly us low-carbers will all drop dead any minute now. I'm sure there'll be a party. Make sure there's bacon-wrapped cheese, ok. That's my death-bed request.

Only if you have a true medical reason for eating low carb. :wink:
  • hotsungirl
    hotsungirl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    I would suggest switching your fat and protein macros if you are trying to go low carb, especially if you don't eat a lot of meat. You only need adequate protein, not high protein, and the fat is what keeps the hunger and cravings away. And I agree about coming to the low carb group. There are a lot of people with a lot of experience who completely disprove the "not sustainable" theory.

*perfectly* well said! :-)
    Come hang with us.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options

Go on, you nearly typed bacon sandwich, admit it!!

No, I meant bacon-wrapped cheese. It's a thing.
    But now I'm thinking of a bacon sandwich, with two pieces of carne asada as the bread, with avocado mayo, bacon, and melted cheddar inside.
    So, yeah, I change my mind. When the grim reaper, wearing his bad-*ss black cloak, comes calling, in...well...about 50-odd years, that's what I want at my wake. To go with the bacon-wrapped cheese sticks.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,259 Member
    Options
    Playing with your macros a little at a time should be fine but making long term or drastic changes I would say it would be prudent to contact your doctor and/or a dietitian and discuss it with them.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Let's see how many pages this goes until the OP comes back if at all. My just be baiting. But if it's not then how about we get the questions below answered. All this nonsense and who knows, based on just 1 profile picture maybe the OP needs to lose like 2 pounds, or 20 or maybe she's trying to be underweight. Who knows. Might be a good idea to actually ask for more information before people give out thoughtless advice just to be supportive.
    You will need to find other sources of protein to hit minimums which should be between .6.87g per lb of bodyweight.

If you say you were eating at the caloric intake it takes to be in a deficit and lose weight but you were not losing weight then you were eating too much and not in a deficit.

How tall are you?
    How much do you weigh?
    Do you weigh and log all your food?
    What's your training like?
    Exactly this!

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Let's see how many pages this goes until the OP comes back if at all. My just be baiting. But if it's not then how about we get the questions below answered. All this nonsense and who knows, based on just 1 profile picture maybe the OP needs to lose like 2 pounds, or 20 or maybe she's trying to be underweight. Who knows. Might be a good idea to actually ask for more information before people give out thoughtless advice just to be supportive.
    You will need to find other sources of protein to hit minimums which should be between .6.87g per lb of bodyweight.

If you say you were eating at the caloric intake it takes to be in a deficit and lose weight but you were not losing weight then you were eating too much and not in a deficit.

How tall are you?
    How much do you weigh?
    Do you weigh and log all your food?
    What's your training like?

Just curious, which was the thoughtless advice - the one suggesting a website with low carb vegetarian protein sources, or the one suggesting OP was doing something akin to suicide?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    If OP returns, what is the goal? Doe she consume 5,000 calories a day?
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The most common diet of restricting carbs is know as the Atkins diet. It has a pretty strong record as many really obese people have been put on it by doctors to reduce their weight often for surgery. One major draw back is that it is really restrictive on carbs, but the users do in fact lose weight. It might be worth checking out if you are sure you want to try this route.
    http://www.atkins.com/
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kgutz90 wrote: »
    Ok so I've decided to play around with my macro. Before this I would just eat my daily allowance of calories but I'm at a stand still and want to try something different to see if it works for my body. I don't eat a lot of meat, just chicken and fish once in a while so it's hard for me to get in protein without the carbs. Right now I've decided on 15% carbs, 30% fat and 55% protein. Any suggestions on what to eat... Normally I've been eating around 100-120g carbs per day so this should be a challenge...

I agree with those who said that 55% protein is kind of extreme, especially if you struggle to get in the low MFP recommendation, and probably unnecessary.

I tend to eat a lot of protein, basically around my body weight in grams (125), and that's more like 30%. Granted, my goal could be much higher than yours, but I would find 55% protein a huge challenge and I really like meat, eggs, and dairy, and normally eat a lot of them, plus somewhat regular protein bars. (Significant protein sources other than meat and eggs tend to have carbs, also, as with beans.)

What I would do to figure out what to eat if I wanted to modify my macros to eat more protein and fat and less carbs would simply be to look at my meals and figure out how to up the protein and reduce the carbs--for example, replace a starch/grains course with a larger serving of whatever the protein course was plus some non-starchy vegetables and reduce the other high-carb food servings across the board. The trick, though, is that you will need to replace the calories with fat or protein, rather than just reduce carbs alone. (And I also agree with those who have suggested that 30% fat with 15% carbs probably doesn't make that much sense--normally when people cut carbs that much they increase fat as that will be your basic energy source and there's no need for all that extra protein.)