potatoes good or bad

Options

Replies

• CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've limited eating potatoes to once a week . they say there are alot of empty calories in them . anyone else eat potatoes often
    "They" are silly! Potatoes are a good source of fiber, potassium, carbs, and Vitamin C.

You needn't worry about classifying foods as good or bad. To lose, you just need to master this vocabulary: yummy, yucky, fits my macros, doesn't fit my macros.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I eat potatoes 1-3 times a week, and sweet potatoes a similar amount. I mostly roast them with olive oil, and don't see why they would be considered "empty calories." (I believe a decent amount of the nutrients are in the skin, however, so I typically prefer to eat them in ways that leave the skin on. This also fits with my inherent laziness, so is a win-win. On rare occasion I mash them, usually without adding anything, sometimes with a bit of butter or milk. Usually mixing them with the accompanying meat and meat fat provides enough extra, though.)
  • Eliz_99
    Eliz_99 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    What is an empty calorie? Surely calories are just calories. Anyway I think potatoes are nutritious and filling and so versatile can't think of anything bad about them.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When people say "empty calories" I assume they mean no micro-nutrients and little fiber. That's not true for the potato, especially if you keep the skin on.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    When people say "empty calories" I assume they mean no micro-nutrients and little fiber. That's not true for the potato, especially if you keep the skin on.
    I've been snacking on potato chips lately, once a week or so, after a nutritionist pointed out they beat out the more common but less stigmatized tortilla chips and pretzels. The kettle chips I buy have 2g of fiber and 650mg of potassium per 120 kcal serving. Not the worst snack. :)
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    JohnBarth wrote: »
    I roast yukon gold potatoes regularly. 10oz of potatoes are roughly 190 calories. Roast sliced or diced at 425 for 20-25 minutes, turning once. I'll use 5oz of potatoes and a 1/4 or so of onion, sautee in a bit of olive oil, add a bit of seasoning.

Oh, YES to Yukon Golds! They also have a lovely flavor and texture that makes the sparing use of toppings more palatable. (They are moister and richer tasting than russets, and creamier and less waxy than red potatoes. Mmmmm. Perfect potato)
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    I roast yukon gold potatoes regularly. 10oz of potatoes are roughly 190 calories. Roast sliced or diced at 425 for 20-25 minutes, turning once. I'll use 5oz of potatoes and a 1/4 or so of onion, sautee in a bit of olive oil, add a bit of seasoning.

Oh, YES to Yukon Golds! They also have a lovely flavor and texture that makes the sparing use of toppings more palatable. (They are moister and richer tasting than russets, and creamier and less waxy than red potatoes. Mmmmm. Perfect potato)

I like the way you phrased that. Now i want some taters. Its your fault you know. ;)
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »

I like the way you phrased that. Now i want some taters. Its your fault you know. ;)

MY WORK HERE IS DONE.
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    MrCoolGrim wrote: »

MY WORK HERE IS DONE.

200w.gifk
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Eliz_99 wrote: »
    What is an empty calorie? Surely calories are just calories. Anyway I think potatoes are nutritious and filling and so versatile can't think of anything bad about them.

Some calories come from foods that don't really do us much good and can negatively impact our health: spike our blood sugar, clog our arteries, raise blood pressure, etc. If I eat a piece of Edwards cream pie that's 400 calories, those calories aren't going to do anything positive for my health. That pie contains miniscule amounts of vitamins, a lot of potassium, a tiny amount of protein and 12g of saturated fat. Yikes. Oh, and 46g carbohydrates which includes 32g sugar. And that's added, white, processed sugar, not the kind you get from fruit. The pie is absolutely delicious. It is also empty calories, and I don't care what others do; I've cut all that out so I can eat more of the foods that provide...what's the word? Oh yeah --

Nourishment.

If I eat some broiled fish, a potato and some salad that adds up to 400 calories, that's a better quality meal: Lean protein, good oil, vitamins, minerals, fiber. Sure, the idea that CICO determines weight loss has merit, but are we just talking about losng weight and not about staying healthy while we do it?
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are low calorie. How they are prepared and what you top them off with will change that of course. As is the case with just about any vegetable.
    I like a baked russet with greek yogurt and a little cheese. Very filling for the relatively low calories.
    I don't eat potatoes all that often, but when I do I always wonder why I don't eat them more often.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    I
    Who are they?

I eat potatoes 1-3 times a week.

I have just read that mayby its not true

Really consider the source when you read information.
  • MichaelVakili
    MichaelVakili Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Oh man potatoes bad? Really ? Only if they are fried ,other than that they are great .
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Wrap a potato in foil and put in the slow cooker on low for 9 hours. That's the creamiest baked potato I've ever had. Then top it with salsa verde. Yum. Potatoes are good.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    kxbrown27 wrote: »
    Wrap a potato in foil and put in the slow cooker on low for 9 hours. That's the creamiest baked potato I've ever had. Then top it with salsa verde. Yum. Potatoes are good.

I need to try this!
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    A baked potato with crusty skin, and hot warm flesh, nothing better. Add some freshly ground pepper, some season salt, and a dash of cottage cheese.

High carbs, so if you are watching carbs, limit to a small potato. Weigh portion.

• Naley2322
    Naley2322 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I eat sweet potatoes or golden sweet potatoes literally 5 times a week
    I eat white potatoes at least once a week
  • shortntall1
    shortntall1 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I dont think theres any vegetable out there full of empty calories
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Eliz_99 wrote: »

Some calories come from foods that don't really do us much good and can negatively impact our health: spike our blood sugar, clog our arteries, raise blood pressure, etc. If I eat a piece of Edwards cream pie that's 400 calories, those calories aren't going to do anything positive for my health. That pie contains miniscule amounts of vitamins, a lot of potassium, a tiny amount of protein and 12g of saturated fat. Yikes. Oh, and 46g carbohydrates which includes 32g sugar. And that's added, white, processed sugar, not the kind you get from fruit. The pie is absolutely delicious. It is also empty calories, and I don't care what others do; I've cut all that out so I can eat more of the foods that provide...what's the word? Oh yeah --

Nourishment.

If I eat some broiled fish, a potato and some salad that adds up to 400 calories, that's a better quality meal: Lean protein, good oil, vitamins, minerals, fiber. Sure, the idea that CICO determines weight loss has merit, but are we just talking about losng weight and not about staying healthy while we do it?

I know I want the potato as a spike for insulin(see GI) and then maybe some honey, the sugar listed in the pie would be third. But all 3 provide a needed spike post workout. The fat you'd get from the pie will assist in brain function so not exactly worthless. Context is important when we discuss foods, and some knowledge of a glycemic scale wouldn't hurt. I may just grab what is handy, so if the pie is nearby it goes down the gullet. To broil fish, a potato and a salad I may eat this later. And depending on the workout, several miles of running and swimming, or heavy lifting session the pie may be less then 15% of the calories I need for a day.