How many carbs do you eat daily?

Options

Replies

• Sunshine48205
    Sunshine48205 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    I don't really count carbs. My macros are set for 40% carbs, but I usually exceed it. Today, it's 170 grams. I have 64 lbs off, so carbs haven't slowed me down.

Thank you! Thats what I was a bit worried about. I can enjoy my carbs without feeling guilty :smiley:
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    hotsungirl wrote: »
    My daily goal is 240 which right now is 40% of my macros. Carbs are fuel.

You have a choice for fuel -- carbs (glucose) or ketones (fat).

So you're saying that if I eat carbs I won't burn fat? Interesting...I wonder what all this weight I dropped was then. I know it wasn't muscle because I'm pretty good on that end...Hmmm...must have been some kind of magic dust or something since I was eating carbs so obviously couldn't burn fat.

You people are hilarious....it's not sweat off my back if you want to low carb or keto or whatever...but stop spewing nonsense.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-15735-1387571325-10.gif

Uh..where did anyone say you wouldn't burn fat while eating carbs!?

Cause..all I saw from what you quoted was someone saying you also have a choice to get your energy from fat rather than carbs. As in..the fat a person who low carbs is eating is used as fuel instead. Therefore, carbs aren't necessarily everyones main fuel.

......ugh

It's an either or statement....

which is actually true whether you low carb or not...my point being that low keto folk and low carb folk seem to missrepresent this all of the time...as if the only way you're burning fat is if you're taking in very little carbohydrates.

People use fat as fuel all of the time regardless if they are low carb, high carbs, whatever...

JonStewartUgh.gif

I wasn't commenting on whether or not everyone uses fat calories for fuel.

I was responding to your claim that anyone said people can't burn fat and eat carbs.. Because you said "I wonder what all this weight I dropped was then. I know it wasn't muscle because I'm pretty good on that end...Hmmm...must have been some kind of magic dust or something since I was eating carbs so obviously couldn't burn fat."

Mentioning using ketones vs glucose as a fuel in no way suggests anything about burning body fat to lose weight..which is what your quote above sounds like you are referring to.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

So you're saying that if I eat carbs I won't burn fat? Interesting...I wonder what all this weight I dropped was then. I know it wasn't muscle because I'm pretty good on that end...Hmmm...must have been some kind of magic dust or something since I was eating carbs so obviously couldn't burn fat.

You people are hilarious....it's not sweat off my back if you want to low carb or keto or whatever...but stop spewing nonsense.

Cause..all I saw from what you quoted was someone saying you also have a choice to get your energy from fat rather than carbs. As in..the fat a person who low carbs is eating is used as fuel instead. Therefore, carbs aren't necessarily everyones main fuel.

......ugh

which is actually true whether you low carb or not...my point being that low keto folk and low carb folk seem to missrepresent this all of the time...as if the only way you're burning fat is if you're taking in very little carbohydrates.

People use fat as fuel all of the time regardless if they are low carb, high carbs, whatever...

JonStewartUgh.gif

I was responding to your claim that anyone said people can't burn fat and eat carbs.. Because you said "I wonder what all this weight I dropped was then. I know it wasn't muscle because I'm pretty good on that end...Hmmm...must have been some kind of magic dust or something since I was eating carbs so obviously couldn't burn fat."

Mentioning using ketones vs glucose as a fuel in no way suggests anything about burning body fat to lose weight..which is what your quote above sounds like you are referring to.

The either or comment of...

Is meant to insinuate just that...it's classic keto zealotry...why call ketones "fat" otherwise?

• blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

......ugh

JonStewartUgh.gif

The either or comment of...

Is meant to insinuate just that...it's classic keto zealotry...why call ketones "fat" otherwise?

Probably because I thought the poster meant carbs/glucose = fuel and fat/ketones = fuel..rather than jumping to the assumption that said person was insinuating that one can't burn fat while eating carbs. Considering it was in response to a "carbs are fuel" comment and not an I burn fat while eating carbs comment.
  • wackyncrazy1
    wackyncrazy1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    ok i have a question with those eating low carbs how do you keep your fiber up?
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I eat between 235-300gms/day. 90+ pounds lost and still going strong.
  • Braincatcher
    Braincatcher Posts: 66 Member
    Options

I'm interested in this answer as well--my solution at this point is to load up on veggies and supplement (y'know, Metamucil), but there are probably better ones.
  • SarenaWM
    SarenaWM Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    80-150g. I like fruit. I tried low carb, and it didn't work for me. I didn't see any difference in my body and my runs were really painful to get through. I just try to make sure the carbs I consume are good quality.
  • monii702
    monii702 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've set my carbs at 25%, for a goal of 87 carbs a day.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    110-130ish on average.
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    150-200. Mostly coming from sweet potato
  • mypersonalfitnessjourney
    Options
    I try to stay in the sweet spot between ketosis and glycolysis. I typically eat around 50 to 60 net carbs per day.
  • Technodynamic
    Options
    I'm just over 3 weeks into Atkins, hitting about 20 carbs a day and the good news is the fat is melting away. 17 pounds in 3 weeks. Went from 207 pounds to 190 as a 5'9 male. I'm starting to add about 5 carbs now so daily carb goal is 25. I'm approaching my goal rapidly, so carb intake will be increased as the days progress.

When you track everything you eat, you become ultra aware of what foods hide what. So that's good.
  • Technodynamic
    Options

High fiber, low carb veggies are generally the dark green veggies and just added black beans to the diet which are loaded with fiber, lowering the carb total. In Atkins, you take carbs - fiber = total carb count.
  • kalin73
    kalin73 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    None or no more than 20g. I do high protein and have natural fats.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

Lowering carbs won't make you lose any faster than any other method. As long as you're eating at a deficit you will lose.

Unless you have a medical condition..then things can get trickier.

Yes, eating at a deficit will help you lose weight, but that isn’t the end all be all. The proportion of macros can make a big difference in the speed and type of weight loss. Point in case, protein takes more calories to digest and use than simple carbs. If a person eats nothing but simple sugars and another person eats a low carb, moderate protein diet the person eating simple carbs will lose more muscle and less fat.

When I’m cutting, I go on less than 50 grams of carbs, otherwise, I’ll eat about 150 grams.

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I eat 100g to 125g total carbs daily, of which ~30g is fiber. Not sure if you would consider that low carb, but it is relatively high fiber. Things I eat every day are legumes, almonds or other nuts, flax seeds on fruit&yogurt. Chia seeds work nicely in some soups & salads and boost fiber, too. The key for me are legumes, though--a few Tbs lentils in my soup, black beans with eggs for breakfast, red beans/rice for dinner (sometimes with andouille, sometimes sub spinach for rice), blackeyed peas hot or as a cold salad. Seeds have almost 100% of carbs=fiber. Some vegetables like spinach & collards have about half their carbs in fiber. Nuts, although calorically dense from the fat, also have roughly half their carbs in fiber. If you pick carefully, you can meet minimum fiber guidelines and stay low carb. I'm not trying to go low carb (30-40% tot calories), but I do love these fiber rich foods.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    as many as i want. i'm a distance runner. carbs = fuel.
  • truckers_wife
    truckers_wife Posts: 51
    edited March 2015
    Options

Exactly. Low carbs will make your body burn fat for fuel instead of the carbs.
  • paullynch1
    paullynch1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    365 carbs which is 46% of my micronutrients. I use free weights and supposed to slowly gain weight but its not really moving upwards at the moment.