A short rant about many of the posts I have been seeing here. May come off as harsh but must be said

Options

Replies

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    joejward95 wrote: »
    I meant it as a phrase not a statistic. You know, like how you say you're 99% sure of something? You cant literally have done the maths to work it out, its a phrase.

There is this little thing called the quote button. It might help when responding to people.
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I agree with the OP...he didn't say it was easy so I'm not sure why people are implying that. He said that people are responsible for their own success (if a little harshly put!) Yes, people do better with motivation from others and yes, circumstances like health and life dramas make it harder, but when it comes down to it, it's up to no one else other than the individual to succeed.
  • joejward95
    joejward95 Posts: 104 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • jxmom
    jxmom Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wow, you just solved the obesity epidemic. Congratulations!

Haha, I was gonna say the same thing. Congrats on having the easiest time losing weight, OP. WOULD YOU LIKE AN AWARD? most of us are on here for motivation and support. Harsh posts like this, deter people from posting anything. Sad really, because The people that need to the most are the ones that won't speak up because of stuff like this. Just know, it isn't as easy for everyone. Consider yourself lucky to not have a third shift job or thyroid disease, or hormonal imbalance. Congrats.

Well said!!!!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    the butthurt in this thread is amazing....
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »
    Every single one of you who disagreed with the OP's post is going to fail. Every single one of you. Maybe not now, but in a year or so's time when you put the weight back on.

All of you.

Except a lot of those are people disagreeing or pointing out the flaw in the way he said it rather than the fundamentals of what he said.

What flaw? Tell me anything in the original post that isn't true. It's not relevant if someone's feels are damaged. Christ, a lot of posters on this site could do with a good verbal slap. Maybe even a physical one.

While true, that slap might have more gravitas were the messenger someone with a little more experience under his belt.

Doesn't make Joe wrong. He's precious. I have a teenager of my own and was one once.

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    the butthurt in this thread is amazing....

from the OP it was always going to be like this. dont think this will end up being a stickie for the newbies. i suspect a lock down soon.
  • Cking1162
    Cking1162 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Can anyone suffering from thyroid disorders or PCOS please state exactly why that, after effective medication and nutrient profile modification had been applied, CICO would not apply to them?

We understand these are tough medical conditions. Equally they are treatable.

My doctors cannot find the effective dosages of medication for me. But, I plug along with the calorie counting and exercise because they make me feel good and I know that once the proper dosage is reached, I will be able to lose weight. It is a lifestyle for me.
  • shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Though this horse has been beaten to death, I totally agree with the OP. He also supplied ample warning of the contents of the post, then laid out the rant. Not everyone will respond favorably to his advice...big deal. We're all adults with free will, and have the ability to take away what we need from these posts. If there's nothing here that suits your needs, then move on to the next one and don't let it bother you. It's such a miserable existence to always be so easily offended, life's too short to waste on misguided anger.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hijack the thread, but anybody knows a good thread where people told their denial/excuses/fatlogic stories? I used the search fonction, but I came out with way too many result.

I do find it fascinating what excuses we give ourselves and how we do not see ourselves as really fat when we clearly are. I feel fatter today with a bmi of 28 than when I had one of 36.

That is a great idea for a thread. You should start one.

• Cking1162
    Options
    This is what I looked like at 20.
    Back when I didn't understand that sometimes life is not black and white. I thought, if you eat less you lose....everyone is the same......
    I have learned a lot in the past few years....
    366w6oqmleaw.jpg

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I am happy for people to hate me for what i have said. What I wont have is people accusing me of things I have/haven't done, telling me I don't know anything because I am too young and telling me my life has been easy(without knowing a thing about me)

OP, you're upset about people making accusations and assumptions about you without knowing the details of your life, yet you just wrote an entire rant to the community essentially doing the same to other people without knowing the details of theirs.
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I'm not pissed off by your post, I just don't understand why you think you are such a 'special snowflake' that your opinion of other peoples posts is valid or useful? It seems to me that this is all about your journey, not theirs. You're frustrated with Others for some reason- not sure why, but if I had to take a guess it's because you think you've got this whole weight loss thing down, and it feels nice to you to act like some sort of expert now that you've taken control of your own journey.

How about you try not judging? People come here looking for help. If you can't provide help, that's ok, but why antagonize, judge, offend? People learn things when they're ready- it has nothing to do with your magical powers to be harsh and help others see the light. You can't do that for them- they have to do it for themselves.

Look you're a kid- 18- I get it. You're at an age when you think you're a genius expert based on the things you've learned in your life. In the nicest way possible, I'd like you to hear that you don't know *kitten*. I'm so happy for you that you've figured things out for yourself. That is so amazing and I Applaud you for what you're doing on your own journey. Stop being such a teenager though and thinking you understand anything about the experiences of other people though.

You know what I've learned in my 36 years? That I don't know *kitten* either. And that's why I do my best to not judge, to be helpful, and if I can't do that, I try to keep my mouth shut, and my heart open.
  • judiness101
    judiness101 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hijack the thread, but anybody knows a good thread where people told their denial/excuses/fatlogic stories? I used the search fonction, but I came out with way too many result.

I do find it fascinating what excuses we give ourselves and how we do not see ourselves as really fat when we clearly are. I feel fatter today with a bmi of 28 than when I had one of 36.

That is a great idea for a thread. You should start one.
    Allright give me ten
  • Cking1162
    Options
    apparently.....i was a bit off back then (sideways pic) :)
  • joejward95
    joejward95 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Nope, I have stated that personal circumstances are irrelevant due to weight loss. So when people bring them up and make assumptions about me it gets a tad annoying.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    No, I am saying that hardships in life have nothing to do with weightloss. My hardships are none of your business, yours are none of mine. Because it is irrelevant to weight.
    Just wanted to quote this. Wow. How incredibly naïve you are!

• shamcd
    shamcd Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    shamcd wrote: »
    give me one of those cookies! and for the love of God people:

Loose

Loose is an adjective, the opposite of tight or contained.

My shoes are loose

I have a loose tooth

There’s a dog running loose in the street

Lose

Lose is a verb that means to suffer the loss of, to miss.

I win! You lose!

Don’t lose your keys

I never lose bets

THANK YOU! My grammar nazi is nearly uncontrollable when I see the misuse of these two words.

My inner usage nazi gets out of control when people call usage errors grammar errors.

"In linguistics, grammar is the set of structural rules governing the composition of clauses, phrases, and words in any given natural language. The term refers also to the study of such rules, and this field includes morphology, syntax, and phonology, often complemented by phonetics, semantics, and pragmatics."
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    No, I am saying that hardships in life have nothing to do with weightloss. My hardships are none of your business, yours are none of mine. Because it is irrelevant to weight.

Is it now?

Hmm, are you saying that it is irrelevant to consider how someone's financial, educational or mental state might influence their behaviour and choices? And that addressing the presnece of clinical depression, for example, might just, maybe, be relevant to long term adherence in a weight loss program?

Oh, wait!

I have a friend, she's been paralyzed from the waist down from an infection a few years ago. The resulting trauma impacted her ability to exercise and along with mental issues, other concomitant metabolic issues, overeating, etc. she's gained a lot of weight. Her hardships are irrelevant to the weight gain?

Okay!
    I'll send her a postcard to harden the eff up!

If your friend consumed less calories than she required would she lose weight? Yes or no.

Individual circumstances change, fundamentals do not.

she will lose weight your right, but the OP is saying saying that hardships in life have nothing to do with weightloss. In this example of the lady going through alot, it really wont be as easy for her as someone like me who really had no excuse.
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Cking1162 wrote: »
    apparently.....i was a bit off back then (sideways pic) :)

Gorgeous then, and now!