A short rant about many of the posts I have been seeing here. May come off as harsh but must be said

Options

Replies

• Cking1162
    Cking1162 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Cking1162 wrote: »
    Can anyone suffering from thyroid disorders or PCOS please state exactly why that, after effective medication and nutrient profile modification had been applied, CICO would not apply to them?

We understand these are tough medical conditions. Equally they are treatable.

My doctors cannot find the effective dosages of medication for me. But, I plug along with the calorie counting and exercise because they make me feel good and I know that once the proper dosage is reached, I will be able to lose weight. It is a lifestyle for me.

Cool. I hope they find medication that works for you soon. It's a tough condition to manage.

Thanks. Yes..it is. But I WILL get there.
    And right now...I am doing everything i can to ensure success!
  • Ellaskat
    Ellaskat Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    joejward95 wrote: »
    I love these people responding about my age! Is this really the only thing yo can say to discredit me? Does you being older somehow make you understand weight loss better than me?

Obviously not, Joe. No ONE knows weight loss better than you!

It doesn't make anyone understand weight loss better joe. A little age teaches you how little you know about life- about the experiences of others and their struggles, and if you're lucky, it teaches you not to judge, and to have kindness when you can.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    apparently.....i was a bit off back then (sideways pic) :)

Gorgeous then, and now!

Agree!
  • joejward95
    joejward95 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Unless your personal circumstances involve someone force feeding you how do they cause you to overeat? Or you're in the minority who have some form of hormonal issue that make the calories out bit harder to work out.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    judgy-face.jpg
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I am all for positive motivation and trying to understand the individual person without judging. However, one universal truth that the OP touched on is that YOU need to make the choice to do it, YOU need to take the responsibility and YOU need to really want it (not just half want it or just want it on Mondays etc.). The OP may come off as harsh and immature to some (and maybe he is) but from my experience (and I am only 29 and do not in any way consider myself an expert) you will not get the results you "want" unless you really want it deep down. Everyone has their own unique obstacles and life situations, but if you truly deep down really want it you will figure out how to overcome those obstacles. This goes for any challenge or goal in life. Also, if you do really want it, the right people will show up in your life to give you the help you need because we all need a little help. But it starts with you!
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    No, I am saying that hardships in life have nothing to do with weightloss. My hardships are none of your business, yours are none of mine. Because it is irrelevant to weight.
    Just wanted to quote this. Wow. How incredibly naïve you are!
    not sure if i would use the word naive, but like to be polite. lol
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    No, I am saying that hardships in life have nothing to do with weightloss. My hardships are none of your business, yours are none of mine. Because it is irrelevant to weight.

While hardships might not directly affect weight gain/loss like eating a kilo of lard a day would, they can cause mental issues which can affect how a person feels.

If you feel worthless, you don't feel like taking care of yourself. If you do not sleep, you do not feel like exercising. Depression and lack of sleep can also help you to be awesome at catching any germ that goes around so you constantly are ill and feel like poo. Lack of sleep I believe is meant to mess with hunger also.

These things are hard to overcome. I should know. I've been on various bloody pills for nearly 15 damn years.

I'm trying. Some days I do better than others. Some days I feel better than others. Most days I wish I could just hide away in bed and sleep all day but I have to get up and go to work to pay my bills etc...

Saying that a person deserves to be fat without walking a mile in their shoes is just mean. And not at all constructive.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Eat less. Move more.

Cheques can be made payable to Jimmer. Thanks in advance.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    shamcd wrote: »
    sullus wrote: »
    shamcd wrote: »
    give me one of those cookies! and for the love of God people:

Loose

Loose is an adjective, the opposite of tight or contained.

My shoes are loose

I have a loose tooth

There’s a dog running loose in the street

Lose

Lose is a verb that means to suffer the loss of, to miss.

I win! You lose!

Don’t lose your keys

I never lose bets

THANK YOU! My grammar nazi is nearly uncontrollable when I see the misuse of these two words.

My inner usage nazi gets out of control when people call usage errors grammar errors.

"In linguistics, grammar is the set of structural rules governing the composition of clauses, phrases, and words in any given natural language. The term refers also to the study of such rules, and this field includes morphology, syntax, and phonology, often complemented by phonetics, semantics, and pragmatics."

Right. So lose v loose is usage, not grammar. Thank you.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    jimmmer wrote: »
    Eat less. Move more.

Cheques can be made payable to Jimmer. Thanks in advance.

Op should have just kept his post simple like this.

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Is it now?

Hmm, are you saying that it is irrelevant to consider how someone's financial, educational or mental state might influence their behaviour and choices? And that addressing the presnece of clinical depression, for example, might just, maybe, be relevant to long term adherence in a weight loss program?

Oh, wait!

I have a friend, she's been paralyzed from the waist down from an infection a few years ago. The resulting trauma impacted her ability to exercise and along with mental issues, other concomitant metabolic issues, overeating, etc. she's gained a lot of weight. Her hardships are irrelevant to the weight gain?

Okay!
    I'll send her a postcard to harden the eff up!

If your friend consumed less calories than she required would she lose weight? Yes or no.

Individual circumstances change, fundamentals do not.

Obviously, if she eat less than her daily needs she would lose. A tautology is a tautology.
    Ah, but individual circumstances (hardship) matter - "eat less" for her now means going from something like <2400 cals to <900 cals to lose.

However, it is also much easier for me to have a 500 calorie deficit than it is for her.
    And I will need to adhere to an eating regimen without secondary metabolic modifications (pituitary, etc) for a lot less time to reach the same loss goal.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    This is what I looked like at 20.
    Back when I didn't understand that sometimes life is not black and white. I thought, if you eat less you lose....everyone is the same......
    I have learned a lot in the past few years....
    366w6oqmleaw.jpg

But that IS how it is. Just the amounts differ.
  • owngoal64
    owngoal64 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    In my experience the general message of the OP is correct. Physics works, and bottom line is that long-term weight control is all about calories in vs. calories out. The key is that calorie burn rates vary significantly per individual, so in order to make this work you need to determine what your burn rate is. It might take months of trial and error to find out what your burn rate is (with and without exercise), but if you carefully track you will eventually get a good idea about how many calories you can take in per day to maintain weight. From there if you want to lose weight, just set up a deficit and stick to it.

Sounds easy, but the psychological aspect of maintaining a caloric deficit is probably the most challenging part of this formula (at least for me - I am always hungry).
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    the butthurt in this thread is amazing....

In addition, I'm seeing so much projection that I want to watch Cinema Paradisio again.

OP: Excuses won't get you anywhere
    Everyone else: OMG MY EXCUSES ARE REAL, YOU FETUS!

SMDH. Nobody said that individual people don't have certain factors in life that present challenges in reaching their goals. Thing is, that doesn't make life "impossible." So, you know....~shrug~
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Every single one of you who disagreed with the OP's post is going to fail. Every single one of you. Maybe not now, but in a year or so's time when you put the weight back on.

All of you.

Except a lot of those are people disagreeing or pointing out the flaw in the way he said it rather than the fundamentals of what he said.

What flaw? Tell me anything in the original post that isn't true. It's not relevant if someone's feels are damaged. Christ, a lot of posters on this site could do with a good verbal slap. Maybe even a physical one.

While true, that slap might have more gravitas were the messenger someone with a little more experience under his belt.

Doesn't make Joe wrong. He's precious. I have a teenager of my own and was one once.

In my 46 years of life I have learned that just because someone is older doesn't mean they are wiser. It just means they've been making stupid decisions longer.

Listen to the message, not the messenger.

In my 52 years of life, I've learned that I'm a pretty good judge of character. I agree with listen to the message, not the messenger.

The entirety of the thread isn't just the initial message, though.

Again, youth. He is right though. There has been a rash of excuse makers recently.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I'm not agreeing/disagreeing with OP. I'm just here for the arguing. Mostly free entertainment, yo.
    giphy.gif
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    judgy-face.jpg
    That face is gonna appear in my nightmares.
  • Khamerta
    Khamerta Posts: 23
    Options
    I love how people keep telling joejward95 to ignore the posts and not to have posted his OP, then why are you posting your own negative comment to his OP? Maybe you should take your own advice and ignore his post if it bothers you....
  • owngoal64
    owngoal64 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    From the title I was expecting a "mean people" thread. I'm glad it's not.

His delivery might be off, but I have found the crux of what he's saying to be true for me.

When I got honest with myself and stopped making excuses, I started losing weight. When I stopped relying on others for motivation, I started losing weight. I like talking to people about weight loss (hence why I hang out here), but I can't rely on someone else to motivate me. Heck, I can't even rely on motivation. I rely on habits.

But what do I know, I'm only 28. Apparently you have to be over 30 to know anything at all.

Sing, I am 50 and my feelings and experiences are quite similar to yours. So I apparently don't know much either :-)