Is Pizza Fast Food?

Options

Replies

• mildollarsmile
    mildollarsmile Posts: 41 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My thought is anything with a drive thru is considered fast food. As for pizza I home-make mine. I do feel some of the nationwide "chain" pizza places would be considered fast food.

According to Wikipedia:
    Fast food is the term given to food that is prepared and served very quickly, first popularized in the 1950s in the United States. While any meal with low preparation time can be considered fast food, typically the term refers to food sold in a restaurant or store with preheated or precooked ingredients, and served to the customer in a packaged form for take-out/take-away.
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Also, Dominoes isn't pizza...don't know what it is, but it's not pizza....

No, that is not pizza...in my opinion it's a piece of carton with overused fried oil and some frozen products on it.... I ate so many NY slices and american style pizzas that were very tasty and delicious...not Domino guys let's be serious...

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    I am Italian, born and raised there and pizza for us is just a staple...replaces pasta for lunch sometimes... a neapolitan margherita pizza with just tomato sauce and nice mozzarella can't be seen as junk food honestly. I live in NY now and I never order domino pizza or equivalents because I think there's too much stuff on them and they're not as healthy... HOWEVER... you can eat domino pizza or whatever you like for that matter as long as you keep it within your calorie goal...

Do you have a recipe you'd share for that margherita pizza? I love that food! I want to make it so badly...
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    I am curious why OP wants to know...

I guess she is not coming back to clarify

Fairly certain OP has decided "fast food == bad food" and wants to know if she has to classify pizza as a "bad food"
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    fast food is *generally* considered anything with a drive thru. so mcdonalds, burger king, wendys, etc anything beyond that is highly subjective.

This ^^^

Fast because you can get it fast. Pull the car up, tell them what you want and within a minute or so you have it.

That being said, the definition is flexible. For example, Little Caesar's Pizza has a drive thru where you can pick up a limited selection of pizzas. Does that make pizza fast food? Not necessarily.

When people talk about fast food negatively, they are generally referring to the typical burger/fries/soda meal that is commonly sold at McDonald's and the like but not all fast food is bad. For example, at some drive thru restaurants you can get a salad. Similarly, you can get a burger, fries and a soda at a "sit-down" restaurant where a waitress comes and takes your order.
  • brandigyrl81
    brandigyrl81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I categorize the large pizza chains (Dominoes, Pizza Hut, Papa Johns etc. ) as fast food, mainly because of their affiliation with fast food chains. For example, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell and KFC are owned by a particular brand.

If you're wanting pizza but are trying to stay away from larger, fast food brands, try a local neighborhood pizza parlor. I find their pizza tastes way better than the big chains, anyway.
  • giannigreco83
    giannigreco83 Posts: 282 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

VeryKatie wrote: »

Do you have a recipe you'd share for that margherita pizza? I love that food! I want to make it so badly...

Hi, this is the link that gets closer to a good recipe in my opinion....http://www.fornobravo.com/pizza/pizza_dough.html

You have GOT to use that flour or you won't get it right....pizza is the simplest of meals and the dough is the key... for the rest just use high quality tomato sauce and milky mozzarella, not the dry ones. Successful restaurants in NYC won't give away their recipes for the dough...so sometimes I just go to my favourite pizzeria and I buy the pizza dough balls and then I bake it at home....

• Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »
    like dominos pizza for example. or pizza from your local pizza parlor. is that considered to be fast food?

I am curious on the subject in general. I am a non-native speaker of English and would like to know what the expression really includes. I have American neighbors and they consider for example Rice-a-Roni to be fast food compared to a rice dish cooked from scratch. The same goes for Mac & Cheese from Krafts, while home made Macaroni and Cheese is not.
    I always thought that only food from chain stores like Burger King, Wendy's etc was " fast food ". Does KFC, Taco Bell, or Pollo Loco fall under fast food ?

fast food is *generally* considered anything with a drive thru. so mcdonalds, burger king, wendys, etc anything beyond that is highly subjective.

lol......Then subjectively speaking nothing is fast food here in Mexico City, because due to a lot of regulations we have no drive throughs. Most of all it is because drive-throughs take away parking space required by law and because that space is at a minimum and because people here don't have the custom to buy fast food and take it elsewhere to eat. They usually eat at the place they buy the food.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

Fairly certain OP has decided "fast food == bad food" and wants to know if she has to classify pizza as a "bad food"

What makes you fairly certain of this?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    No, pizza is pizza...it is it's own thing...

Also, Dominoes isn't pizza...don't know what it is, but it's not pizza....

That's why I stick to the chicken at Dominos
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    like dominos pizza for example. or pizza from your local pizza parlor. is that considered to be fast food?

Context please.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

that is my guess too ..
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    If I get it from like, a food court or sams club... Any place that sells it by the slice. Otherwise it's not very fast. You have to wait for them to make it
  • ndj1979
    Options
    gouldyftw wrote: »
    One look at the nutritional content will tell you it's at least as unhealthy as McDonald's and other fast food!

what the hell??

it has carbs, protein, and fats all three essential macros...
  • glevinso
    Options

Because this is MFP and this sort of thing gets posted here all the time
  • glevinso
    Options
    One look at the nutritional content will tell you it's at least as unhealthy as McDonald's and other fast food!

what the hell??

Seriously. What is wrong with pizza? Sure it has lots of calories but that doesn't make it "bad" or anything.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I would say Little Caesar's Hot N Ready is fast food.

Or crap in a box, whichever term you prefer.
  • ndj1979
    Options

what the hell??

Seriously. What is wrong with pizza? Sure it has lots of calories but that doesn't make it "bad" or anything.

who knows...

some people think pizza = dirty = bad

it must be nice to view things in such simplistic terms...
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

Because this is MFP and this sort of thing gets posted here all the time

It's a fitness site and this is a Food and Nutrition category. OP has a food question where else will they ask their question.

I can understand it gets old and boring but hey it's their 2nd post let's give them a break.