Is there such thing as good and bad calories?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    laurielima wrote: »
    rsm193 wrote: »
    Is there a difference between good and bad calories or are calories just calories...like is it ok to eat fried food from home made in the deep fryer? Are those considered bad calories?

I did not mean to be so abrupt but asking if cals are good or bad starts a big rukus on this site. in my opinion...there are bad cals in the food world. I do eat them but I know they are bad and I adjust ALL of my eating to support the fact that I am eating bad calories.

other people want to call it healthy cals v unhealthy cals or empty cals v nutritious cals.

Its just splitting hairs. IMO

What makes specific calorie bad?

When it's more than you need.

that is a ridiculous definition ..

so if you go 100 calories over your day is "bad"....

I wouldn't consider 100 calories over on a single day "bad" because that's easy enough to make up the next. But in all honesty I would consider the calories bad because I have to think about making them up. It's not a definition though, it's my opinion.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited March 2015
    Options
    deksgrl wrote: »
    EvanKeel wrote: »
    Is there a difference between good and bad calories or are calories just calories...like is it ok to eat fried food from home made in the deep fryer? Are those considered bad calories?

I did not mean to be so abrupt but asking if cals are good or bad starts a big rukus on this site. in my opinion...there are bad cals in the food world. I do eat them but I know they are bad and I adjust ALL of my eating to support the fact that I am eating bad calories.

other people want to call it healthy cals v unhealthy cals or empty cals v nutritious cals.

If the calorie is more than you need, it's no better or worse because of the eating. It just is what it is either way. The act of eating the excess calorie may lead to a undesired effect. To me it's an important distinction.

Are you honestly telling me that the calories from a ...tomato and from a fried dough..are somehow similar calories in your eyes. One calorie count is packed with nutrition and one calorie count is not. wow. i can't believe you have to be told that but...ok.

You're confusing "good for you" with the definition of a calorie as a unit of measure.

Are calories good or bad? No, they are equal, as a unit of measure of energy.

Are some foods more good for you than others? Yes. Are some foods more nutritious? Yes. Are some foods more satisfying? Yes.

Why is this a difficult concept to understand?

Well, if you read the OP it really doesn't sound like she was talking about a unit of measure. Since, as an example, she asked if fried foods were bad calories it sounds more like the thread is about nutrition.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

If the calorie is more than you need, it's no better or worse because of the eating. It just is what it is either way. The act of eating the excess calorie may lead to a undesired effect. To me it's an important distinction.

Are you honestly telling me that the calories from a ...tomato and from a fried dough..are somehow similar calories in your eyes. One calorie count is packed with nutrition and one calorie count is not. wow. i can't believe you have to be told that but...ok.

You're confusing "good for you" with the definition of a calorie as a unit of measure.

Are some foods more good for you than others? Yes. Are some foods more nutritious? Yes. Are some foods more satisfying? Yes.

Well, if you read the OP it really doesn't sound like she was talking about a unit of measure. Since, as an example, she asked if fried foods were bad calories it sounds more like the thread is about nutrition.

direct from OP

"Is there a difference between good and bad calories or are calories just calories...like is it ok to eat fried food from home made in the deep fryer? Are those considered bad calories?"

I don't see anything in there about nutrition, do you?

sounds like a pretty specific question ...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

direct from OP

"Is there a difference between good and bad calories or are calories just calories...like is it ok to eat fried food from home made in the deep fryer? Are those considered bad calories?"

Nope. I inferred it from the mention of a specific food that is often considered "bad". Specifically, fried food. That's why I said it "sounds more like...".
  • ndj1979
    Options

direct from OP

Nope. I inferred it from the mention of a specific food that is often considered "bad". Specifically, fried food. That's why I said it "sounds more like...".

sounds like you inferred wrong...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

direct from OP

sounds like you inferred wrong...

To your ears perhaps. ;)
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options

All calories are not "equal as a unit of measure of energy"

Drink a REDBULL when you wake up in the morning and the next day at the same time drink a water. Let me know if the unit of measurement of energy is the same.

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Drink a REDBULL when you wake up in the morning and the next day at the same time drink a water. Let me know if the unit of measurement of energy is the same.

O.M.G....

r8KTUWM.gif
  • urloved33
    Options

yes, they are units of energy; however, they are not nutritional twins.

you are conflating calories with nutrition, not the same thing.

Dude...the name of the site is MY "FITNESS" PAL. not my skinny pal ....
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Just a question on CICO. Given how gluttonous many Americans are, and that the rates of obesity have skyrocketed, why don't we have more 400-pound people?

Seems like there is a weight "ceiling" that most people can't break through, no matter how much they eat.

That makes no sense.

What doesn't make sense? You run 1,500 daily calorie surplus from the time you are 18 to the time you are 50. One would think that would lead to a weight of 400 pounds for many.

1) Weight loss, and likewise weight gain, are not linear. There's nothing about CICO that implies that they are. There are plenty of complicating factors in the CO part of the equation. People generally use 3500 calories =1 lb fat because that's what it is. You won't necessarily lose 1lb per week at a 500/day deficit, though. I don't know that that's ever been in dispute.

2) Energy needs change as one gains and loses weight. Eventually you'll find an balance until something comes along to mess up the balance (decreases/increases in activity, changes to eating behavior due to emotional states, etc).

EDIT: I should add that whether or not we're in a deficit is actually determined by whether or not we lose or gain weight; beforehand we're just guessing because we don't know what the CO is going to be. When people say they're eating at a deficit, they really mean that they're eating at an attempted deficit.
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    There are no individual are bad food, stuff was trans fat would be the one exception. Look at the overall contents to see if your eating habits are good or bad. If you're meeting to caloric goals while making sure you hit at least your fat and protein minimums along with vitamins and minerals the you're fine.

If you had to label something as good or bad I would have to say that bad would be the stuff that puts you over your caloric goals. The specific food isn't bad but the choice at the moment could have been better.

Didn't feel like bringing alcohol into it, eh?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

:huh:

When did he say that? He didn't even infer it.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Are you responding to the wrong thread or something?
  • ndj1979
    Options

eh?

and that has what to do with my post?

• urloved33
    Options
    ok lets do gal. is a gal of gas and a gal of water the same thing. they are both a gallon so would you advize us to put them both in our car?
  • ndj1979
    Options

bahahahahahahahaha..

talk about apples and oranges...

so you want to compare the calorie content of a red bull vs water...

considering water has zero calories that is going to be impossible...

• Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

An 8.4oz can of Redbull has 110 calories
    A 8oz glass of water has 0 calories.

I'm confused at your comparison.