How do you do 1200 Calories?

Options

Replies

• Sophsmother
    Sophsmother Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    P.S. Since there's no finish line, why does everyone want to lose 2 pounds per week? That's a good way to lose muscle mass with your fat loss. Do you want to be skinny fat? If not, slow down and work on your body composition! Is your goal just to be smaller and not leaner? If so, 2 pounds a week is a great way to go!

1. My body, my business.
    2. Doctors orders.

Body comp will be closer to my weight goal. This is easier for me as I adjust my lifestyle and eating habits.

Love that response!! Why do people always question the 1200 calories choice? Makes no sense to me at all. Way to stand up for yourself! It works for me too.
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm set to 1200cal a day. I actually eat mostly carbs. For me, eating about 5-6 small meals a day helps. I'm constantly eating throughout the day. And I second vegetables. They really fill you up!
  • lisafrancis888
    lisafrancis888 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've been on MFP for two weeks. 48 year old... On 1200. Exercise 3 or 4 times a week. Would appreciate some more friends if anyone wants to add me.. Thanks
  • GWehsling
    GWehsling Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian. I find I have to pad up (with beer, too!) or MFP won't allow me to close the day off. Mostly, I'm not in love with food, so it is easy to ignore eating or find myself exhausted because I forgot a meal. If you are vegetarian with some strength goals, feel free to FR me.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,951 Member
    Options
    How do I do 1200 calories?

With great difficulty, it's definitely not easy for me :disappointed:

This ^^

I read every label to pick the lowest calorie food items. For example, I selected the canned chicken in springwater rather than tuna in springwater because the chicken was about 40 calories less than the tuna.

Eggs are quite low cal.

The yogurt I eat is the lowest calorie yogurt on the shelf.

Veggies are great ... but no butter, margarine or sauces of any kind.

And then I exercise, exercise, exercise to give myself a few extra calories to play with. I rarely eat back all my exercise calories (I did yesterday, for the first time in a month), but if I can burn, say 400 calories through exercise, I might eat 200 of that back, upping my 1200 calories to 1400 calories. That's the difference between eating a mango for an after work snack, or not.

• minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Lots of eggs, cheese, fish, chicken, brocolli, cream cheese and two big meals per day works best for me.
  • rehanaa17
    Options
    I love kale in a salad. Took some getting used to, but now I like it. Though, admittedly I make a wilted salad. I make a regular salad and then toss it in the microwave for 30 seconds or so to wilt it up a bit and then eat it.

Snip

Curious. Why would you eat a microwaved salad? Wilted salad sounds kinda gross IMO and don't think I could eat it
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Most days I actually find I'm under 1200 with out issue. I have like 3 meals etc and then I have a bunch left over so I eat some more not because of hunger but more to avoid that mfp warning :p
  • Cking1162
    Cking1162 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    jt880 wrote: »
    I kept a food journal for a long time (way before coming here) and we discussed it at length. He suggested I stay away from soy and anything that is inflammatory food wise. Causing a physical reaction (without sounding gross) There was more than just soy on the list however one of the worst offenders.

That just seems like something a GI would be more likely to diagnose. I'd question an endo giving dietary advice that isn't directly related to endocrinology.

When I'm seeing him for a thyroid condition he made all sorts of suggestions from sleep studies to suggesting a special dietitian. He only offered advice and didn't diagnose anything other than my hashimoto's thyroid condition which I just found out the other day is still cancer free yay.

Soy products interfere with a lot of thyroid replacement hormones....so that could be why.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of proteins and fat, to keep me sated longer. When I find I'm hungry, I can always earn more through exercise.
  • iamchuckbass78
    iamchuckbass78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Lots of fruit and vegetables, meal replacement protein shakes (breakfast or lunch), low carb - except for low calorie whole wheat wraps if im extra hungry, water, and I exercise to accommodate going over in calories.
  • musicandarts
    musicandarts Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I'm minimal carbs, focusing mainly on vegetables, including sweet potatoes, as my main carb source daily and grains on workout days, but still find it hard to do my set base of 1600 calories. How do those of you doing 1200, not give up or kill someone because of hunger? Not judging, genuinely curious!

It is very difficult to live on 1200 calories a day. Current guidelines do not recommend going below 1500 cals per day. I keep my net calorie intake low by eating about 2000 calories and by working 800-900 cals.
  • SunshineSwirl
    SunshineSwirl Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your answers, very informative. I'll happily continue with the 1600 calorie route, but now I know how you guys do it!
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ^ Thats awesome I hope to be running next year after I fix the rest of me!

Awesome?? It sounds like a recipe for burnout to me. But each to their own, if a person is happy AND healthy I ain't gonna judge.

I like the running. It's just the eating part. I'm just so terrified of being big again that I just don't eat. :( I'm working on it this week, though. I got a migraine today after a year of being free of them, so I know I'm starting to push it.

@krissyreminisce, if you're looking for some support with overcoming that fear come join us over here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100766-eating-disorder-support-group. We're a pretty small bunch at the mo', but growing, and definitely qualify as an active group now :). It's a nice, safe environment where you can work on those issues with others who are either going through it or have gone through it.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I do 1200 a day (though actually I aim for it to average out over the week, so some days are under, some are over, it all comes out in the wash :) ), and for the most part it's fine. I have times when my hormones are doing crazy *kitten* where I may eat more (which I get at ovulation and TOM, joy), and also on days when I'm doing fieldwork I eat more (but am also a lot more active). My fat macro is set at 40%, so that probably helps. I will also eat more if I truly feel I need it.
  • plumppork
    plumppork Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm on 1200 and I can tell you it isn't easy. Been doing great last couple weeks but blew it this weekend. Just make sure I get totally back on track tomorrow. The best way I can stay on track is smoothie (plain greek yogourt, fruit and spinach with a pack of sweetener and a little water) and then try to keep lunch around a few hundred. A hundred calorie afternoon snack and then I have a decent amount left for supper. When your cooking for others for supper its easier to just modify your supper a bit rather than making something totally different than what yourfamily wants. Oh yah and if you really want a sweet try skinny cow drumsticks they really hit the spot! I have to clear house of all chips etc as they are my Achilles heel! And nobody say just have 10 because 10 to me because a full big bag! haha stay strong everyone!
  • meganelisabeth31
    meganelisabeth31 Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I consume 1,000 calories per day and have been for around 5 months now. At first I was practically always starving until I found out the key to a low calorie diet and not literally starving myself. MFP shows I usually consume 30% protein instead of the 20% (which helps me save drastically on my carbs). Grilled chicken breasts, salads, cottage cheese and egg whites are protein life savers with low calories! I will eat 80 grams of protein with other foods of course throughout the day and then usually always have like 50-75 calories left for a satisfying cookie or a couple marshmallows! Therefore, I feel rewarded daily without necessarily cheating! Suckers reeaallyyy help if I'm feeling hungry, they last a long time and have sweet flavors to help with cravings as well.

I also changed to eating 5 small meals a day instead of 2/3 as well as drinking 5-6 17 oz. bottles of water. I generally eat every 2 hours and find that I don't get that starved feeling hardly at all. I've consistently lost 2 pounds per week for around five months with this diet.. with NO exercise. I'm just slowly starting to add excersice in with my diet this week. I wish I would've had these tips when I first started so I wouldn't have felt so hungry 24/7!
  • angelgreathouse9
    angelgreathouse9 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I'm minimal carbs, focusing mainly on vegetables, including sweet potatoes, as my main carb source daily and grains on workout days, but still find it hard to do my set base of 1600 calories. How do those of you doing 1200, not give up or kill someone because of hunger? Not judging, genuinely curious!

check out my journal... i've been down to 1200 calories per day for a while now... and i eat ALL the time... it's all about the quality of the food you eat... veggies have so little calories you can have your fill of them...

Your diary is awesome btw. I'm the same way veggies, I just need to get off my PB as fill calories at the end of the day.
    thanks i've worked hard to make my life about health and fitness, good luck to you and your journey.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    ^ Thats awesome I hope to be running next year after I fix the rest of me!

Awesome?? It sounds like a recipe for burnout to me. But each to their own, if a person is happy AND healthy I ain't gonna judge.

I like the running. It's just the eating part. I'm just so terrified of being big again that I just don't eat. :( I'm working on it this week, though. I got a migraine today after a year of being free of them, so I know I'm starting to push it.

Good for you for being open to re-evaluate the strategy. Sounds like your body is speaking to you. xo
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    by eating all day long - I'm always finishing something up or getting ready to eat something else ... and I learned early that what I thought would be a great little snack every morning is actually a ton of calories. I eat often enough that if I can find a way to reduce calories slightly, it makes a big difference. A good example is my two hard boiled eggs each morning - I like the yolk, but that's where the calories are. So I eat one with and one without. Ta da!

I run almost every day, so I get some back, and I make sure I have at least 500 (usually more) by dinner. I don't eat a big dinner, but I don't like to feel restricted, so I plan not to be.

Also, I eat Lifesaver peppermints at work (when I start getting antsy for chocolate or whatever) - usually three or four a day - it takes a while and the mint stays with me, too. I feel like I've had a treat. Nothing wrong with chocolate, btw, but I will eat the whole Pounder bag, so best for me to avoid it.

Good luck.