If you miss pizza, this is a great substitute.

Options

Replies

• Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Adam2k10 wrote: »
    20140505_160629.jpg
    That's one I made about 4 months ago!
    Around 500cals, 58g protein delish!!!!

Looks good!!
  • Altagracia220
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    meh…I can make a homemade pizza that comes in at about 170 calories a slice and it is way better than this. I appreciate what you are trying to do, but that is not pizza, or anywhere close to it…

Just because this is not something you'd enjoy doesn't mean other people won't enjoy or benefit from a low calorie substitute. Thanks though :)
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried turkey pepperoni. I like chicken or turkey smoked sausage on mine. Another great option is zucchini pizza boats. Scoop out zucchini and top with pizza toppings then bake. Really good. Thanks for sharing. :)
  • MariahMichaels
    MariahMichaels Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    May I suggest Chicago's Home Run Inn Frozen Pizza, thin crust with sausage, uncured peperoni, and uncured bacon. It's so yummy and only 380 calories for a huge slice. I like the fact that is doesn't have a bunch of artificial ingredients and no preservatives. I find it at Sam's Club in the Freezer section. It's a great Friday night meal and the whole family loves it, it's better than most take out pizza.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    lol You guys. Always so positive. Of course real pizza is 100x better. And of course if you'd prefer the real deal no need to look at my post. But this recipe is for those like myself, who can't order a pie and stop at 1 or 2 slices. Also great for those who don't want to use up 400-700 calories from their daily limit for one meal. It's for those who prefer a healthier, lighter, less greasier option. Thanks though!

Everyone else who left positive feedback, thanks and enjoy!

I get that you want a lower calorie option.

But, just as an FYI, lower calorie and healthier are not the same thing.

I really like the Amy's Margarita frozen pizzas. I think the whole thing comes in around 700 calories. Highly recommend to anyone looking for a quick frozen pizza option where you can eat the whole d&mn thing. LOL.
  • NewMeSM75
    Options

I really like the Amy's Margarita frozen pizzas. I think the whole thing comes in around 700 calories. Highly recommend to anyone looking for a quick frozen pizza option where you can eat the whole d&mn thing. LOL.

Sounds good!
  • NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    You know, I don't mind the tortilla substitute as much as I loathe the fat-free "cheese" substitute. Ick. I'd rather melt rubber over my pizza.

For the few extra calories, I'd rather have part-skim mozzarella cheese. That at least melts like normal!

Actually, if I want pizza but don't have the calories in my budget on that particular day, I use a portabello mushroom cap as the "crust" and then top as normal with veggies, turkey pepperoni and cheese. I do like turkey pepperoni. I actually prefer it over regular pepperoni.
  • NewMeSM75
    Options
    You know, I don't mind the tortilla substitute as much as I loathe the fat-free "cheese" substitute. Ick. I'd rather melt rubber over my pizza.

For the few extra calories, I'd rather have part-skim mozzarella cheese. That at least melts like normal!

Actually, if I want pizza but don't have the calories in my budget on that particular day, I use a portabello mushroom cap as the "crust" and then top as normal with veggies, turkey pepperoni and cheese. I do like turkey pepperoni. I actually prefer it over regular pepperoni.

Agreed about cheese. Portabello mushroom sounds awesome! I love mushrooms!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

This is a great point. Fat free mozzarella is so gross.

A 1 oz serving of fat free mozz is 42 calories.
    A 1 oz serving of regular mozz is 78 calories. It also melts better so you don't need to use as much.

I'll take the regular mozz any day of the week over the fat free rubber crap that doesn't melt.
  • aquamarina_182
    aquamarina_182 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    yum! yes nothing beats "real pizza' but you're right I would definitely prefer a healthier alternative. Thanks! :D
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    yum! yes nothing beats "real pizza' but you're right I would definitely prefer a healthier alternative. Thanks! :D

why is pizza not healthy?
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Ellaskat wrote: »
    If you miss pizza, why not have pizza? I make pizza with store bought fresh dough for between 200-300 a slice of a 6 slice pizza depending on the toppings. At so low a cal count, why not have the real thing?

I agree. All the pizza makeovers just disappoint and make me want the real thing -- especially that weird cauliflower crust pizza that feels like a fruit roll-up.

I make a homemade pizza that is very very similar to the Palermo's Supreme Ultra Thin Crust frozen pizza, which is really good. It has sausage, pepperoni, green peppers, onions and black olives, and two good slices (1/3 of a pizza) is 360 calories. Two slices and a salad are a great dinner, and this Italian with a lifelong love affair with pizza is happy with two slices.

myfitnesspal.com/food/calories/108617586http://
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I make my own dough. It's 56 calories an ounce. So a 6 ounce crust (which is about an 8" personal pizza, depending on how you roll it out) is just over 300 calories. It's not what I'd call bad at all. It's half wheat, half white and delicious. I can have a pretty big pizza to myself for around 550 calories.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Nothing trumps pizza.

/thread.
  • mikeshockley
    mikeshockley Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Naysayers will nay say, no matter what. Thanks for sharing this recipe. : )
  • Altagracia220
    Options

The cheese on regular pizza is high in saturated fat, which increases risk for high cholesterol and heart disease. A 5-ounce slice of cheese pizza typically contains 675 mg of sodium or more. Consuming too much sodium could increase your risk for high blood pressure and cause water retention which some people may or may not care about

pizza can be healthy if made right most of the pizza you buy counts as junk food because of the high amount of refined carbohydrates, fat and sodium it contains.

Obviously it's perfectly fine to have every now and then. No one is telling you to stop eating your pizza
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Pizza dough is so easy to make: http://www.pizzacrustyeast.com/
    Just roll your dough thin. Tortillas.....not a substitute for me...not a lifestyle change I'm going to make.

Turkey pepperoni has a good flavor. The texture is a little "stiff" so I cut my pepperoni slices into quarters. Nice bite sized pieces....yum.

I love cheese. 2% mozzarella still has a decent texture, and it browns. Fat free is just nasty.
  • Altagracia220
    Options
    *EDIT*

Apparently, some people are getting the idea that I am trying to shove my ideas down their throats and force them to use my thin crust recipe. Not the case at all! If you don't want a low cal option that's okay, you are welcome to continue on eating takeout pizza. Sorry for any confusion! ^___^
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »

The cheese on regular pizza is high in saturated fat, which increases risk for high cholesterol and heart disease. A 5-ounce slice of cheese pizza typically contains 675 mg of sodium or more. Consuming too much sodium could increase your risk for high blood pressure and cause water retention which some people may or may not care about

pizza can be healthy if made right most of the pizza you buy counts as junk food because of the high amount of refined carbohydrates, fat and sodium it contains.

Obviously it's perfectly fine to have every now and then. No one is telling you to stop eating your pizza
    Pizza also has lots of micro nutrients: calcium, fibre, bacon...

Who cares WTF you label it as - eat it if you want or eat your tortilla/cauliflower choice if you want.

Pizza is totally healthy if it fits your goals.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I make my own dough. It's 56 calories an ounce. So a 6 ounce crust (which is about an 8" personal pizza, depending on how you roll it out) is just over 300 calories. It's not what I'd call bad at all. It's half wheat, half white and delicious. I can have a pretty big pizza to myself for around 550 calories.

need.

I mostly order pizza because I'm lazy.

But It clocks in around 17-2000 calories for the night alone because I typically eat the whole damn thing.
    I need to step up my game and make my own- I can make 5-900 calories fit much better than an extra 2000.
This discussion has been closed.