If you miss pizza, this is a great substitute.

Options

Replies

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I still eat pizza, just work it into my calorie amount for the day. I have changed over to veggie pizza though to eliminate the extra calories.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Pizza dough is so easy to make: http://www.pizzacrustyeast.com/
    Just roll your dough thin. Tortillas.....not a substitute for me...not a lifestyle change I'm going to make.

Turkey pepperoni has a good flavor. The texture is a little "stiff" so I cut my pepperoni slices into quarters. Nice bite sized pieces....yum.

I love cheese. 2% mozzarella still has a decent texture, and it browns. Fat free is just nasty.

Rolling it very thin isn't really the answer to getting a thin and crispy crust. I finally learned that last year. Letting it rest in the refrigerator for 24 hours improves both the texture and flavor. Give it a rest -- then roll it out thin. I make six crusts at a time, half bake them and then freeze with parchment paper between them. It's very easy (too easy!) to pull one out and throw a pizza together.

This is THE super thin crackery crust document and recipe:
    pizzamaking.com/thincrust.phphttp://
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I would do this and use part skim mozzarella. For those who say "make room for real" honestly if all you get is 1200 cals a day, then the idea of making room is a joke unless you think eating just once a day is enough. :P Nothing wrong with having an alternative!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    yum! yes nothing beats "real pizza' but you're right I would definitely prefer a healthier alternative. Thanks! :D

why is pizza not healthy?

The cheese on regular pizza is high in saturated fat, which increases risk for high cholesterol and heart disease. A 5-ounce slice of cheese pizza typically contains 675 mg of sodium or more. Consuming too much sodium could increase your risk for high blood pressure and cause water retention which some people may or may not care about

pizza can be healthy if made right most of the pizza you buy counts as junk food because of the high amount of refined carbohydrates, fat and sodium it contains.

Obviously it's perfectly fine to have every now and then. No one is telling you to stop eating your pizza

pizza is not "unhealthy" is has protein, fats, and carbs which are essential macro nutrients. And fat is 'bad" now, what are we in the 1980's?

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I would do this and use part skim mozzarella. For those who say "make room for real" honestly if all you get is 1200 cals a day, then the idea of making room is a joke unless you think eating just once a day is enough. :P Nothing wrong with having an alternative!

There are 72 calories in 1 oz of part skim mozz.

There are 85 calories in 1 oz of whole milk mozz.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Dude quit trolling. It's like you have this axe to grind about food and it's the same old same old, eventually ppl don't even read. :P Some ppl's doctors have told them to eat lower sodium and fat. So we do that. Nobody cares what you eat.
  • PRMinx
    edited March 2015
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Dude quit trolling. It's like you have this axe to grind about food and it's the same old same old, eventually ppl don't even read. :P Some ppl's doctors have told them to eat lower sodium and fat. So we do that. Nobody cares what you eat.

If this is directed at me, I'm not trolling. Just because you don't like what someone has to say, doesn't mean they are a troll. I told the OP that I understand her need for a lower calorie choice.

I'm sorry you don't like that I pointed out that the difference between cheeses is only 13 calories. Other people might find that helpful though - I know I did.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I make something similar when I'd like pizza, but it just doesn't fit for the week. Pizza is yummy and I eat sometimes, but I can't fit it in as often as I'd like. This is a good substitute IMO.

I don't like fat free cheese. I use a little part skim mozzarella and a little parmesan.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ellaskat wrote: »
    If you miss pizza, why not have pizza? I make pizza with store bought fresh dough for between 200-300 a slice of a 6 slice pizza depending on the toppings. At so low a cal count, why not have the real thing?

I eat pizza. I eat alternatives (tortillas, polenta, cauliflower, whatever). It all depends on the day. If you get to dinner and you have 15 carbs left, do you "meet your macros" or just ignore it? If it doesn't fit your macros? Then what?

I don't count calories or macros, but if I feel like I've eaten a lot, or have been eating a lot, or whatever, I'll make choices.

Regardless, having alternatives shared is never a bad thing.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    meh…I can make a homemade pizza that comes in at about 170 calories a slice and it is way better than this. I appreciate what you are trying to do, but that is not pizza, or anywhere close to it…

Then don't call it pizza. That doesn't mean the OP can't.
  • hj127
    hj127 Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    why are so many of y'all so mean, she was just providing a recipe, YOU CAME TO THIS THREAD, she didn't force you to read her recipe OR make it...as far as I'm concerned she was trying to be helpful and so many people here are just plain RUDE

if you don't like the recipe or want your full-calorie "normal" pizza go ahead! It's your prerogative. But no need to trash her recipe it's not like any of you even tried it so CHILL OUT maybe the people hating on this really do need to eat something
  • ndj1979
    Options
    hj127 wrote: »
    why are so many of y'all so mean, she was just providing a recipe, YOU CAME TO THIS THREAD, she didn't force you to read her recipe OR make it...as far as I'm concerned she was trying to be helpful and so many people here are just plain RUDE

if you don't like the recipe or want your full-calorie "normal" pizza go ahead! It's your prerogative. But no need to trash her recipe it's not like any of you even tried it so CHILL OUT maybe the people hating on this really do need to eat something

last time I checked it is an open forum and all can comment...

why don't you start a private group and label it "The non pizza lovers substitution gang" or something ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    meh…I can make a homemade pizza that comes in at about 170 calories a slice and it is way better than this. I appreciate what you are trying to do, but that is not pizza, or anywhere close to it…

Then don't call it pizza. That doesn't mean the OP can't.

I never said she couldn't...

but it does not mean that I can't express an opinion on said recipe..
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited March 2015
    Options
    yum! yes nothing beats "real pizza' but you're right I would definitely prefer a healthier alternative. Thanks! :D

The post to which you replied did not say pizza was unhealthy.

In the context of overall diet, SOME pizza is not unhealthy. But for those with limited calories, to balance the overall diet pizza may not be something that fits often. And if the diet isn't balanced, it's unhealthy.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options

@hj127‌ thank you!

And some of these people are the same people that post threads or statuses wondering why the scale isn't moving or inches aren't being lost -___- It is what it is. I know many people whether they posted here or not, will enjoy and benefit from the recipe and that gives me satisfaction :)
  • ndj1979
    Options

In the context of overall diet, SOME pizza is not unhealthy. But for those with limited calories, to balance the overall diet pizza may not be something that fits often. And if the diet isn't balanced, it's unhealthy.

yes, I was referring to the blanket statement that it is "unhealthy"

I see you are once again not reading through all the comments before jumping in ...
  • ndj1979
    Options

@hj127‌ thank you!

And some of these people are the same people that post threads or statuses wondering why the scale isn't moving or inches aren't being lost -___- It is what it is. I know many people whether they posted here or not, will enjoy and benefit from the recipe and that gives me satisfaction :)

really? so the people saying you can eat pizza are not losing weight? Interesting notion ...

• PRMinx
    Options

@hj127‌ thank you!

WOAH WOAH WOAH

Who here is sharing other information that is also posting threads complaining about not losing weight? There is no basis to that claim.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    edited March 2015
    Options

I see you are once again not reading through all the comments before jumping in ...

No, it didn't. It said they prefer a healthier alternative. You changed it to unhealthy.
  • ndj1979
    Options

No, it didn't. It said they prefer a healthier alternative. You changed it to unhealthy.

yea, again, I was not talking to you, I was referring to another poster..but you decided to make this about you...
This discussion has been closed.