Lets talk about Walden Farms

Options
Are these products really zero calorie? I'm not concerned with taste.

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If it ain't water, then no.
  • laura3977
    laura3977 Posts: 191 Member
    Options

What he said :smile:
  • Eddie__Jones
    Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
    Options

I felt like it was to good to be true, why can they say it is, if it's not?

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    eazy__ wrote: »

Anything with less than 5 calories in a serving can be listed as 0 calories.

If you eat 1 serving of whatever it is and no other "0 calorie" stuff, you may not need to log it. Otherwise, you're gonna be best off logging it as 5 calories each time, just to make sure you're accounting for the calories.

~Lyssa
  • anatmoed
    anatmoed Posts: 5 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

I really doubt you know better than the lab that examined their products.

OP, I've been using their maple syrup (which is amazing, by the way) for a while now and it did not stall my weight loss.
    I also tried their Italian (I think) salad dressing which was fine but not too exciting. Their peanut butter is nasty, though, really disgusting.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    From their website:
    How can Walden Farms Calorie Free Specialties be so delicious without sugar, fat or carbohydrates?
    We use Concentrated Natural Flavors. Walden Farms irresistibly sweet calorie free specialties are prepared with ingredients such as real fruit extracts, rich cocoa and other natural ingredients, all sweetened with Splenda. Our savory specialties are prepared with ingredients such as dozens of freshly ground herbs and spices, the finest aged imported and domestic vinegars, soy sauce, lemon juice, natural blue cheese, Worcestershire Sauce, crushed tomatoes, minced garlic, sliced onion and other concentrated natural flavors.

All of the ingredients they use to avoid sugar, fat, & carbs have calories, so unless they have some magical decalorie-izer, I'm guessing there's a catch.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I mean, for *kitten*'s sake, they sell peanut butter. I don't know what kind of peanut butter has no calories, but certainly none that I want to try!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    At less than 5 calories per serving (I think...or is that 0.5?), companies can claim zero calories.

If you're having multiple servings a day, I'd probably count a few calories for it, but that's just me.

I can't choke down most WF products, but the caramel is actually pretty good on ice cream.
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    The only product I've tried of theirs that was good was the syrup. However, I perfer Hungry Jack sugar free syrup.

I've also tried the peanut spread(notice it does not say butter) is AWFUL!!!!! It went straight in the trash.
    The balsamic & ranch are just kind of ok. Pretty bad fake sugar taste to me.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I mean, for *kitten*'s sake, they sell peanut butter. I don't know what kind of peanut butter has no calories, but certainly none that I want to try!

This^

I've read that their syrups get pretty good reviews.....but be wary of anything else. Many other products get horrible reviews. Waste of money for me because it's nothing I see using long term.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The only one I ever tried (by accident) was the jam. I couldn't get it to spread or stay on the toast. I binned it.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    look at the ingredients in a lot of their foods,flavorings,artificial sugars/sweeteners(lots of splenda),food coloring,their sour cream dips have sour cream flavoring, lol I think I would rather have real sour cream.
  • Eddie__Jones
    Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »

If you eat 1 serving of whatever it is and no other "0 calorie" stuff, you may not need to log it. Otherwise, you're gonna be best off logging it as 5 calories each time, just to make sure you're accounting for the calories.

~Lyssa
    thanks for that advice. i didn't even measure it. poured straight from the bottle, like the old days.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I liked the maple syrup and would buy it again. I also enjoyed the poppy seed dressing. I am glad I didn't try the peanut spread.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    anatmoed wrote: »

I really doubt you know better than the lab that examined their products.

OP, I've been using their maple syrup (which is amazing, by the way) for a while now and it did not stall my weight loss.
    I also tried their Italian (I think) salad dressing which was fine but not too exciting. Their peanut butter is nasty, though, really disgusting.

I'm sure they are low calorie, but read the label. It states in plain English, "Contains trace calories."

75kmcjqqq87d.gif

• betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I love their products. Use the different types of salad dressing. Their peanut butter "flavored" speads, etc. Sure they dont taste that good but they serve their purpose...
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,771 Member
    Options

~Lyssa

^^^^^^^^

Remember the thread about the girl who ate a bottle of WF ranch dressing every single day? Blecccccch.

Everything has calories. Spices have calories. Coffee has calories. Certainly all the flavors and gums and additives have calories (even in fractional amounts).

What I have done--because I can't stand even light dressing--is switch to salsa. 15 calories that taste good > 0ish calories that taste bad
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    51sPwYt9zgL._SY445_.jpg
    (ETA: I'm not completely against artificial ingredients. But this is pretty close to how I feel about Walden Farms.)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

~Lyssa

^^^^^^^^

Remember the thread about the girl who ate a bottle of WF ranch dressing every single day? Blecccccch.

OMG - talk about lack of portion control. Part of logging food is seeing what real portion sizes look like. Part of maintenance will be accepting those new portion sizes and putting them into practice every single day. An entire bottle of dressing everyday (ugh).....I can't see that as any kind of lifestyle change. No one needs to drown their veggies in dressing.
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,454 Member
    Options
    I haven't run across these products and from some of the comments will stay away if I ever do. I find it easier and more realistic to just use the real thing and make it fit.