Lets talk about Walden Farms

Options

Replies

• 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The only product I've tried of theirs that was good was the syrup. However, I perfer Hungry Jack sugar free syrup.

I've also tried the peanut spread(notice it does not say butter) is AWFUL!!!!! It went straight in the trash.
    The balsamic & ranch are just kind of ok. Pretty bad fake sugar taste to me.

That's what I did with the marshmallow "fluff", I threw it in the trash. Real peanut butter couldn't even save it, and I haven't thrown food away since I was little kid when my mom wasn't looking.

I also tried the PB, was super excited too...what a let down :anguished:
    The smell was a little "different" which should've been an indication but since it cost me so much more than my favorite Jif, I took a spoonful of absolute grossness, it was awful!
    I felt so horrible for throwing it away, I waited till my husband was gone to toss it because Id made such a big deal about it :neutral_face:
    The jelly, while not the absolute best is tolerable.

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I mean, for *kitten*'s sake, they sell peanut butter. I don't know what kind of peanut butter has no calories, but certainly none that I want to try!

It's kinda disgusting.

The syrups and bbq sauces are pretty good though.

OP: there are trace calories.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I was not impressed with their salad dressings... but if taste doesn't bother you, go for it!

Tried one of those also...nasty.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    2BeHappy2 wrote: »

Ok, I get this but wouldn't it hurt coming back out the other end?
    I mean its not like the back end has no senses....right?!?
    :neutral_face:

Check your sphincter privilege, please. Those of us unfortunate enough to be born without a functional rectum would love to get through one day without the constant reminder that the rest of you deuce-ableds are enjoying life without ever knowing the shame that comes with being called an *kitten* when yours doesn't work! Do you know what it's like to put something in your mouth and not know when it will come out or which nurse will be on duty when it's time to change the bag? Well, do you?
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Do you know what it's like to put something in your mouth and not know whether it's an apple or a potato? Well, do you?

This is unimaginable. I reckon all a person could go off of would be texture? I'd much rather have a potato loaded up with cheese and cold, smooth sour cream than an apple which would get its skin lodged between my teeth.

I also love your choice of foods. My grandfather's girlfriend claims that she used to eat potatoes like apples when she was a poor farm girl in Nebraska.
  • dragonmaster69
    dragonmaster69 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    The only product I've tried of theirs that was good was the syrup. However, I perfer Hungry Jack sugar free syrup.

I've also tried the peanut spread(notice it does not say butter) is AWFUL!!!!! It went straight in the trash.

That's what I did with the marshmallow "fluff", I threw it in the trash. Real peanut butter couldn't even save it, and I haven't thrown food away since I was little kid when my mom wasn't looking.

I couldn't even put it in the trash. I was so disgusted and horrified that I took that evil mess straight out to the dumpster. I was afraid it would kill me in my sleep.

Someone has a bottle of the ranch in our fridge at work and it stares at me each time I open the door. We go through industrial size bottles of Hidden Valley at my job and it's still a mystery to me who even brought it in the first place.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    Do you know what it's like to put something in your mouth and not know whether it's an apple or a potato? Well, do you?

This is unimaginable. I reckon all a person could go off of would be texture? I'd much rather have a potato loaded up with cheese and cold, smooth sour cream than an apple which would get its skin lodged between my teeth.

I also love your choice of foods. My grandfather's girlfriend claims that she used to eat potatoes like apples when she was a poor farm girl in Nebraska.

I've heard that without your senses of smell and taste, you couldn't tell the difference between an apple, a potato, and an onion. I feel like this might be an "internet fact," so I believe I know what I'll be doing for the next half hour or so.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options

Ok, I get this but wouldn't it hurt coming back out the other end?
    I mean its not like the back end has no senses....right?!?
    :neutral_face:

Check your sphincter privilege, please. Those of us unfortunate enough to be born without a functional rectum would love to get through one day without the constant reminder that the rest of you deuce-ableds are enjoying life without ever knowing the shame that comes with being called an *kitten* when yours doesn't work! Do you know what it's like to put something in your mouth and not know when it will come out or which nurse will be on duty when it's time to change the bag? Well, do you?

Are you talking about a personal problem :confused:
    Is this something you can relate to...cause I sure cant :blush:
    I know being on *this* end of the spectrum I sure would be feeling...Everything!

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

I've heard that without your senses of smell and taste, you couldn't tell the difference between an apple, a potato, and an onion. I feel like this might be an "internet fact," so I believe I know what I'll be doing for the next half hour or so.

I remember seeing this done on some show, and now it's bugging me which one it was. If you find any videos, please post links.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

I remember seeing this done on some show, and now it's bugging me which one it was. If you find any videos, please post links.

It appears to be quite untrue.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    anatmoed wrote: »
    If it ain't water, then no.

I really doubt you know better than the lab that examined their products.

I don't even *doubt*, but I KNOW you know next to nothing about nutrition labeling regulation in The US, right, and don't know enough about common sense to keep quiet about it, too.

Here's your homework.

HINT: 101.60(b)(1)(i)

Did that just say that so long as the typical serving size was less than 40 calories it could be labeled as zero cals? So 39 calories per serving = 0? Damn. I have the mayo arriving tomorrow. If it doesn't taste good, I suppose there's no loss in just using light mayo
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    betuel75 wrote: »
    I love their products. Use the different types of salad dressing. Their peanut butter "flavored" speads, etc. Sure they dont taste that good but they serve their purpose...

What purpose is a salad dressing serving if it doesn't taste good?

Delivery system for vegetables for me. Just something to make em go down a little easier. Yesterday I did red wine vinegar and then just a tiny dollop of mayo so that could be an option. I'd just like to not worry about tracking this particular item, and ideally (which probably won't happen at this point), even use liberal quantities of the stuff and not break the calorie bank
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

I also tried the PB, was super excited too...what a let down :anguished:
    The smell was a little "different" which should've been an indication but since it cost me so much more than my favorite Jif, I took a spoonful of absolute grossness, it was awful!
    I felt so horrible for throwing it away, I waited till my husband was gone to toss it because Id made such a big deal about it :neutral_face:
    The jelly, while not the absolute best is tolerable.

I have to have real peanut butter, I never tried their spread. I wasn't even brave enough to add water to PB2 to see if I liked that. I'll stick with my Trader Joe's salted, because salty peanuty goodness.

For salad dressing, Bolthouse Farms makes good ones with only about 45 calories in a serving. If I use a vinaigrette, I only use half a serving, because I realized half of it's sitting at the bottom of my salad bowl when I'm done if I use a full serving.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    eazy__ wrote: »
    Drewlssix wrote: »
    Sweets1954 wrote: »
    Why would anyone eat something that doesn't taste good. I would much rather have a little bit of the real thing that tastes good than a whole bunch of something that is "0 calories" but doesn't taste that good. Food should be enjoyed.

Because they have a different palete than you, and what tastes bad to you tasted good to them. See also: people who hate dark chocolate vs people who love dark chocolate.

No, the OP said specifically that they don't care about flavor... At all. Not that she thought the stuff tasted good. Now the question stands, why would someone chose to eat in volume something that THEY think doesn't taste good?

OP here. I only said taste wasn't a factor because that's a matter of opinion. I am only concerned about my logging and intake.

Yesterday I had the Walden Farms Chipotle Ranch Dressing. It was flavorful. I couldn't believe it had no calories, to good to be true. I use 300 calories most days on dressing. If I use this dressing I can have more of other things(beer) and still make my goal.

Then I saw they have other products. I am willing to try things. Before I ordered the bbq sauce I wanted to get opinions on the zero calorie claim.

Ever think of just using less dressing?

Every 30mL of ranch is 140 calories. 4 tablespoons over 300 grams of lettuce alone, plus the other salad vegetables, is still dry.

My vinaigrette is about 35 calories for 2 tbsp. Fat free ranch is 40 calories for 2 tbsp.

Too spendy for me right now, but this...
    http://www.bigsurgourmet.net/#!big-sur-gourmet/c1th1
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Why would anyone eat something that doesn't taste good. I would much rather have a little bit of the real thing that tastes good than a whole bunch of something that is "0 calories" but doesn't taste that good. Food should be enjoyed.

Because they have a different palete than you, and what tastes bad to you tasted good to them. See also: people who hate dark chocolate vs people who love dark chocolate.

No, the OP said specifically that they don't care about flavor... At all. Not that she thought the stuff tasted good. Now the question stands, why would someone chose to eat in volume something that THEY think doesn't taste good?

OP here. I only said taste wasn't a factor because that's a matter of opinion. I am only concerned about my logging and intake.

Yesterday I had the Walden Farms Chipotle Ranch Dressing. It was flavorful. I couldn't believe it had no calories, to good to be true. I use 300 calories most days on dressing. If I use this dressing I can have more of other things(beer) and still make my goal.

Then I saw they have other products. I am willing to try things. Before I ordered the bbq sauce I wanted to get opinions on the zero calorie claim.

Every 30mL of ranch is 140 calories. 4 tablespoons over 300 grams of lettuce alone, plus the other salad vegetables, is still dry.

My vinaigrette is about 35 calories for 2 tbsp. Fat free ranch is 40 calories for 2 tbsp.

Too spendy for me right now, but this...
    http://www.bigsurgourmet.net/#!big-sur-gourmet/c1th1

Those look really good, but yeah, spendy. Especially with the shipping.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    betuel75 wrote: »
    I love their products. Use the different types of salad dressing. Their peanut butter "flavored" speads, etc. Sure they dont taste that good but they serve their purpose...

What purpose is a salad dressing serving if it doesn't taste good?

Delivery system for vegetables for me. Just something to make em go down a little easier. Yesterday I did red wine vinegar and then just a tiny dollop of mayo so that could be an option. I'd just like to not worry about tracking this particular item, and ideally (which probably won't happen at this point), even use liberal quantities of the stuff and not break the calorie bank

No, you can call it "low calorie" if it has less than 40 calories in 2 tablespoons or 30grams.

You can only say no calories if it has less than 5 calories in a "typical serving" <- and that's hilarious because I know people who get excited and in no way use a typical serving. Specifically thinking of spray butter and non-stick spray. Only no calorie because the serving size is so small, but then everyone goes crazy because "no calories".
  • Eddie__Jones
    Eddie__Jones Posts: 197 Member
    Options

Pshaw, I say. I use 3 tablespoons of Ken's Steakhouse Lite Caesar (actually 45g weighed out) for 135 calories on my salad every day. That salad contains 100g lettuce, 50g spinach, 100g celery, 50g onion, 100g carrots, 100g cucumber, 100g tomato, and either 100g chicken or 3 hard boiled eggs. If you're adding up with me, that's 700g of food using only 3/4 of what you're using. There's no way your salad is dry using 4 tablespoons of dressing.

Also, knowing what 100g of lettuce looks like from weighing it out every day for the last 2 years, I have a hard time believing you eat a salad that big. Mind taking a picture of your scale showing that much in your bowl and posting it?

How many mL's is 45g of Ken's Steakhouse Lite Caesar?

Why are some liquids measured by volume and others by weight but both say tablespoon is the serving?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Also calories are not inherently bad. I can make a super low calorie dressing that tastes perfectly good with vinegar and mustard already, but adding olive oil can make it taste even better and contribute to a healthy diet.

I'd even go so far as to say calories are inherently good. The fundamental thing that we need from food is energy, aka calories. Calories are what keep us alive. It's excess calories that are the problem :)
  • tincanonastring
    Options

Pshaw, I say. I use 3 tablespoons of Ken's Steakhouse Lite Caesar (actually 45g weighed out) for 135 calories on my salad every day. That salad contains 100g lettuce, 50g spinach, 100g celery, 50g onion, 100g carrots, 100g cucumber, 100g tomato, and either 100g chicken or 3 hard boiled eggs. If you're adding up with me, that's 700g of food using only 3/4 of what you're using. There's no way your salad is dry using 4 tablespoons of dressing.

Also, knowing what 100g of lettuce looks like from weighing it out every day for the last 2 years, I have a hard time believing you eat a salad that big. Mind taking a picture of your scale showing that much in your bowl and posting it?

How many mL's is 45g of Ken's Steakhouse Lite Caesar?

Why are some liquids measured by volume and others by weight but both say tablespoon is the serving?

Not sure about the mL count. I don't think the bottle listed it. I measure in grams because it's always going to be more accurate than using a spoon.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    If it ain't water, then no.

I felt like it was to good to be true, why can they say it is, if it's not?
    Anything with less than 5 calories in a serving can be listed as 0 calories.

If you eat 1 serving of whatever it is and no other "0 calorie" stuff, you may not need to log it. Otherwise, you're gonna be best off logging it as 5 calories each time, just to make sure you're accounting for the calories.

~Lyssa

^^^^^^^^

Remember the thread about the girl who ate a bottle of WF ranch dressing every single day? Blecccccch.

Everything has calories. Spices have calories. Coffee has calories. Certainly all the flavors and gums and additives have calories (even in fractional amounts).

What I have done--because I can't stand even light dressing--is switch to salsa. 15 calories that taste good > 0ish calories that taste bad

I need to read that thad. Do you have the link?

It took forever but http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10030513/discouraged-by-trace-calories

It's a seven-page monster and if I remember right, a lot of that is clean eaters picking a fight. But from the OP:
    So I have been trying to lose weight and I know it takes time and patience but this is what my days look like

[edit]

I drink a lot of water with zero calorie mio water enhancer maybe 10 bottles of water per day
    And I use a lot of the dressing sometimes a bottle per day if I have salad
    I recently heard about tracable calories with "zero calorie" products. Am I going to gain from the amount of zero calorie products since I didn't count them before?

Thanks for digging through the millions of threads for me!