Lets talk about Walden Farms

Options

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Sweets1954 wrote: »
    Why would anyone eat something that doesn't taste good. I would much rather have a little bit of the real thing that tastes good than a whole bunch of something that is "0 calories" but doesn't taste that good. Food should be enjoyed.

Check your tastebud privilege, ma'am. Those of us unfortunate enough to be born without a sense of taste would love to get through one day without the constant reminder that the rest of you flavorcentrics are enjoying life without ever knowing the pain of tastelessness! Do you know what it's like to put something in your mouth and not know whether it's an apple or a potato? Well, do you?
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone eat something that doesn't taste good. I would much rather have a little bit of the real thing that tastes good than a whole bunch of something that is "0 calories" but doesn't taste that good. Food should be enjoyed.

Because they have a different palete than you, and what tastes bad to you tasted good to them. See also: people who hate dark chocolate vs people who love dark chocolate.
  • NikiMG1681
    NikiMG1681 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Ok, I lied. I had to search a few products just to see what the ingredients are. I searched "syrup". First of all, why is it called "pancake syrup" and not "maple syrup"? Second, partially, here is what is said: "About this item: Calorie free. Sugar free. Fat free. No calories, fat, carbs, gluten or sugars of any kind! Switch & save 330 calories a day lose 34 pounds a year."

??? What? How can they even remotely claim how many calories per day will be "saved" and how many pounds will be lost?! Yes, averages, I know. Just a rhetorical question because I find the claim to be so ridiculous.

I think that is assuming you switch out syrups you will save that many calories a day. And that is assuming someone eats 330 calories worth of syrup a day, and if you're in a 330 calorie deficit you could lose 34 pounts in one year? Silly marketing strategies.

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Because they have a different palete than you, and what tastes bad to you tasted good to them. See also: people who hate dark chocolate vs people who love dark chocolate.

I believe that comment was directed towards the "It tastes terrible...but NO CALORIES, WOO!" idea.

I haven't even tried it, myself. Sucralose tastes absolutely terrible to me. I wish they had to put a warning label on stuff with it, it's annoying how many food items have it in there with no warning. I can tell after one bite. Blergh.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options

Check your tastebud privilege, ma'am. Those of us unfortunate enough to be born without a sense of taste would love to get through one day without the constant reminder that the rest of you flavorcentrics are enjoying life without ever knowing the pain of tastelessness! Do you know what it's like to put something in your mouth and not know whether it's an apple or a potato? Well, do you?

Wow, do YOU have this? I've heard of it, but never known anyone who had it. I think I'd probably waste away and die if I had it. I do know someone who lost her sense of smell after taking a medication and she has a hard time eating since she can't enjoy the aroma of food.

I've also wondered why someone hasn't come up with something similar as a weird diet trick: take something that temporarily deadens your taste buds so that you don't eat as much. (not healthy; wouldn't encourage it; just saying it's crossed my mind when I read those "craziest diet tips?" threads)
  • tincanonastring
    edited March 2015
    Options

Wow, do YOU have this? I've heard of it, but never known anyone who had it. I think I'd probably waste away and die if I had it. I do know someone who lost her sense of smell after taking a medication and she has a hard time eating since she can't enjoy the aroma of food.

I've also wondered why someone hasn't come up with something similar as a weird diet trick: take something that temporarily deadens your taste buds so that you don't eat as much. (not healthy; wouldn't encourage it; just saying it's crossed my mind when I read those "craziest diet tips?" threads)

Oh, god no. That would be horrible, wouldn't it?! No, I wouldn't need MFP if I couldn't taste anything. I didn't think that was actually a thing and now I feel bad that people might really go through life not knowing the joy that is peanut butter!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Ok, I lied. I had to search a few products just to see what the ingredients are. I searched "syrup". First of all, why is it called "pancake syrup" and not "maple syrup"? Second, partially, here is what is said: "About this item: Calorie free. Sugar free. Fat free. No calories, fat, carbs, gluten or sugars of any kind! Switch & save 330 calories a day lose 34 pounds a year."

??? What? How can they even remotely claim how many calories per day will be "saved" and how many pounds will be lost?! Yes, averages, I know. Just a rhetorical question because I find the claim to be so ridiculous.

They can't call it "Maple Syrup" because it has no maple. I believe even caloric fake maple syrups like Log Cabin and Mrs. Butterworth's call themselves "Pancake syrup." I'm not sure, though, I'm a syrup snob, LOL.

The "Bottle per day of WF Ranch" thread was sad. We went through the whole thread telling the woman that yes, there were calories and that might be stalling her...and then we saw her photos. Apparently, the bottle of WF ranch and some carrots were ALL she ate. ever. She needed to have TWO bottles per MEAL of full-fat ranch on top of a steak and a therapy appointment. :(

They might get by with calling "Maple flavored syrup" but to be labeled as "Maple Syrup" it would have to be made from the sap of a sugar maple. I think they would have a hard time explaining "sugar free maple syrup."
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    From their website:
    How can Walden Farms Calorie Free Specialties be so delicious without sugar, fat or carbohydrates?
    We use Concentrated Natural Flavors. Walden Farms irresistibly sweet calorie free specialties are prepared with ingredients such as real fruit extracts, rich cocoa and other natural ingredients, all sweetened with Splenda. Our savory specialties are prepared with ingredients such as dozens of freshly ground herbs and spices, the finest aged imported and domestic vinegars, soy sauce, lemon juice, natural blue cheese, Worcestershire Sauce, crushed tomatoes, minced garlic, sliced onion and other concentrated natural flavors.

All of the ingredients they use to avoid sugar, fat, & carbs have calories, so unless they have some magical decalorie-izer, I'm guessing there's a catch.

The catch is, all of their products are made of Satan poo. At least that's how they taste.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    From their website:
    How can Walden Farms Calorie Free Specialties be so delicious without sugar, fat or carbohydrates?
    We use Concentrated Natural Flavors. Walden Farms irresistibly sweet calorie free specialties are prepared with ingredients such as real fruit extracts, rich cocoa and other natural ingredients, all sweetened with Splenda. Our savory specialties are prepared with ingredients such as dozens of freshly ground herbs and spices, the finest aged imported and domestic vinegars, soy sauce, lemon juice, natural blue cheese, Worcestershire Sauce, crushed tomatoes, minced garlic, sliced onion and other concentrated natural flavors.

All of the ingredients they use to avoid sugar, fat, & carbs have calories, so unless they have some magical decalorie-izer, I'm guessing there's a catch.

The catch is, all of their products are made of Satan poo. At least that's how they taste.

I like this! LOL complete agreement.

• iamchuckbass78
    iamchuckbass78 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    From their website:

You had me at magical decalorie-izer.

*swoon*
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

Several people have said that they don't taste that good, but... or that they don't care about their taste. So it's a valid question, IMO.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    Raynne413 wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    From their website:

I like this! LOL complete agreement.

Satan poo. I don't think this little guy is doing it right.

hail-satan-said-poo.gif
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    From their website:

You had me at magical decalorie-izer.

*swoon*

Patent pending...
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

my son has a best friend who cant taste or smell, his brothers (4 of them) have limited taste abilities. which means they cant taste most things unless its really sweet or strong. they were born that way. I guess it was a genetic defect because neither parent is like that
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I'm not skerred of no chemikillz myself (HELLLOOO my precious Diet Coke Zero and Splenda <3 , LOL). But I just can't do Walden Farms anything. It's just a taste/texture preference. I'd much rather make room for a little salad dressing/peanut butter/etc. to satisfy my palate.
  • tincanonastring
    edited March 2015
    Options

my son has a best friend who cant taste or smell, his brothers (4 of them) have limited taste abilities. which means they cant taste most things unless its really sweet or strong. they were born that way. I guess it was a genetic defect because neither parent is like that

Dammit. Now I feel like *kitten*. Is there, like, a foundation where I can make a donation or something?
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Wow. This company would really concern me. They claim all of their food is "gluten free" but also admit to using soy sauce. Granted there are some gf soy sauce, but soy sauce is NOT gluten/wheat free (unless they specifically say they are).
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options

Dammit. Now I feel like *kitten*. Is there, like, a foundation where I can make a donation or something?

You are forgiven solely on the basis of your gift to humanity, the Peep Cleanse.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    The only product I've tried of theirs that was good was the syrup. However, I perfer Hungry Jack sugar free syrup.

I've also tried the peanut spread(notice it does not say butter) is AWFUL!!!!! It went straight in the trash.
    The balsamic & ranch are just kind of ok. Pretty bad fake sugar taste to me.

That's what I did with the marshmallow "fluff", I threw it in the trash. Real peanut butter couldn't even save it, and I haven't thrown food away since I was little kid when my mom wasn't looking.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    The only product I've tried of theirs that was good was the syrup. However, I perfer Hungry Jack sugar free syrup.

I've also tried the peanut spread(notice it does not say butter) is AWFUL!!!!! It went straight in the trash.
    The balsamic & ranch are just kind of ok. Pretty bad fake sugar taste to me.

That's what I did with the marshmallow "fluff", I threw it in the trash. Real peanut butter couldn't even save it, and I haven't thrown food away since I was little kid when my mom wasn't looking.

I couldn't even put it in the trash. I was so disgusted and horrified that I took that evil mess straight out to the dumpster. I was afraid it would kill me in my sleep.