Lets talk about Walden Farms

Options

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    eazy__ wrote: »
    Are these products really zero calorie? I'm not concerned with taste.

I can't get past this part. The only reason I eat food is for the taste! Well, no, it's for fuel and nutrition, but if it doesn't taste good I'd rather go without.

Also, I've never heard of Walden Farms before reading these forums. I think I'll keep it that way.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,711 Member
    Options
    Ok, I lied. I had to search a few products just to see what the ingredients are. I searched "syrup". First of all, why is it called "pancake syrup" and not "maple syrup"? Second, partially, here is what is said: "About this item: Calorie free. Sugar free. Fat free. No calories, fat, carbs, gluten or sugars of any kind! Switch & save 330 calories a day lose 34 pounds a year."

??? What? How can they even remotely claim how many calories per day will be "saved" and how many pounds will be lost?! Yes, averages, I know. Just a rhetorical question because I find the claim to be so ridiculous.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Are these products really zero calorie? I'm not concerned with taste.

I can't get past this part. The only reason I eat food is for the taste! Well, no, it's for fuel and nutrition, but if it doesn't taste good I'd rather go without.

This is my reaction too.

Also calories are not inherently bad. I can make a super low calorie dressing that tastes perfectly good with vinegar and mustard already, but adding olive oil can make it taste even better and contribute to a healthy diet.

But I haven't tried the Walden Farms things.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I was not impressed with their salad dressings... but if taste doesn't bother you, go for it!
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    If it ain't water, then no.

I felt like it was to good to be true, why can they say it is, if it's not?
    Anything with less than 5 calories in a serving can be listed as 0 calories.

If you eat 1 serving of whatever it is and no other "0 calorie" stuff, you may not need to log it. Otherwise, you're gonna be best off logging it as 5 calories each time, just to make sure you're accounting for the calories.

~Lyssa

^^^^^^^^

Remember the thread about the girl who ate a bottle of WF ranch dressing every single day? Blecccccch.

OMG - talk about lack of portion control. Part of logging food is seeing what real portion sizes look like. Part of maintenance will be accepting those new portion sizes and putting them into practice every single day. An entire bottle of dressing everyday (ugh).....I can't see that as any kind of lifestyle change. No one needs to drown their veggies in dressing.

My personal tip to using dressing on salad:

Place 1 serving (generally 2 Tbsp.) in a small bowl, cup, whatever. Dip my fork in said dressing, place fork in salad, eat. By the time I finish my salad I usually have half left and I'm very happy. :)
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    First of all, why is it called "pancake syrup" and not "maple syrup"?

Probably because only maple syrup can be called maple syrup and I doubt this stuff contains any ingredient that remotely resembles real maple syrup.

Actually, most maple-flavoured syrups call themselves "pancake" syrup or just syrup.

(Yes, I live in the land of maple syrup, lol)

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Ok, I lied. I had to search a few products just to see what the ingredients are. I searched "syrup". First of all, why is it called "pancake syrup" and not "maple syrup"? Second, partially, here is what is said: "About this item: Calorie free. Sugar free. Fat free. No calories, fat, carbs, gluten or sugars of any kind! Switch & save 330 calories a day lose 34 pounds a year."

??? What? How can they even remotely claim how many calories per day will be "saved" and how many pounds will be lost?! Yes, averages, I know. Just a rhetorical question because I find the claim to be so ridiculous.

They can't call it "Maple Syrup" because it has no maple. I believe even caloric fake maple syrups like Log Cabin and Mrs. Butterworth's call themselves "Pancake syrup." I'm not sure, though, I'm a syrup snob, LOL.

The "Bottle per day of WF Ranch" thread was sad. We went through the whole thread telling the woman that yes, there were calories and that might be stalling her...and then we saw her photos. Apparently, the bottle of WF ranch and some carrots were ALL she ate. ever. She needed to have TWO bottles per MEAL of full-fat ranch on top of a steak and a therapy appointment. :(
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I mean, for *kitten*'s sake, they sell peanut butter. I don't know what kind of peanut butter has no calories, but certainly none that I want to try!

Trust me, you really don't. I spit it out it was so bad. Not even close. I'd eat PB2 over that stuff, and I hate that. LOL

• tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I want to know how they sucked all the fat and calories out of blue cheese, because I could have it on every salad I eat.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    FRANKENFOOD
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    macgurlnet wrote: »
    If it ain't water, then no.

I felt like it was to good to be true, why can they say it is, if it's not?
    Anything with less than 5 calories in a serving can be listed as 0 calories.

If you eat 1 serving of whatever it is and no other "0 calorie" stuff, you may not need to log it. Otherwise, you're gonna be best off logging it as 5 calories each time, just to make sure you're accounting for the calories.

~Lyssa

^^^^^^^^

Remember the thread about the girl who ate a bottle of WF ranch dressing every single day? Blecccccch.

Everything has calories. Spices have calories. Coffee has calories. Certainly all the flavors and gums and additives have calories (even in fractional amounts).

What I have done--because I can't stand even light dressing--is switch to salsa. 15 calories that taste good > 0ish calories that taste bad

I need to read that thad. Do you have the link?
  • LokiDokiArtichoki
    LokiDokiArtichoki Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Don't waste your money. I tried some that my friend had and it was disgusting (especially the fauxnut butter)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried these products. They sound pretty unpleasant and nothing but water is calorie free. It seems misleading. If you want to use these products, you would need to be careful and guess at calories if you are consuming a bunch of this stuff since they don't give you real calorie info.

Also wondering how a peanut spread can be zero calorie when 1 peanut has a least 6 calories. I'm sure it takes more than one peanut to make a serving of spread.
  • annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    The chocolate sauce is actually quite nice to drizzle on stuff like waffles, pancakes, miz in oatmeal or make chocolate milk with. I read somewhere that each bottle contains about 30 calories but like someone else said, they can label it as 0 if each serving has less than 5 calories. I've heard the pancake syrup is suppose to be okay too and everything else is *kitten* lol
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I wouldn't be so sure. It's probably peanut flavor only. "No peanuts were harmed in the production of this 'peanut' spread."

(Disclosure: I haven't actually checked.)
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Okay, I checked. The peanut spread contains (in order): water, vegetable fiber, salt, corn starch, xanthan gum, peanut flavor, peanut extract, caramel color, lactic acid, sodium benzoate, sucralose, yellow #5 and #6.

It also advertises itself as super healthy because no calories or--of course--sugar. Also, no peanuts, but eh, details. (If you want peanut butter without sugar it's super easy to make or find at WF or the like, but it has loads of calories, obviously.)
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter has sugar added to it in some countries? Yuck!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I think the mainstream brands do in the US.
  • rhonderoo
    rhonderoo Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    These dressings are absolutely disgusting. After tasting you won't want anything to eat because the flavor left in your mouth DOES NOT GO AWAY... :s
  • Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone eat something that doesn't taste good. I would much rather have a little bit of the real thing that tastes good than a whole bunch of something that is "0 calories" but doesn't taste that good. Food should be enjoyed.