17 day diet?

Options

Replies

• GlindaGoodwitch
    GlindaGoodwitch Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty pleased thus far - I'm down 7 pounds since March 1st, and one pant size. I'm not missing the carbs, and otherwise eating better than I have in years :) I will say, I stuck to the food lists pretty strictly, but didn't pay much attention to the time of day, or some of the ultra specifics. I have tried to make it as easy and realistic on myself as possible. We are a family of 4, so keeping it real is pretty important. And 7 pounds may not seem like much to some, but it's pretty motivating to me!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Lolz.

Meanie

Grow up.

Pot meet kettle.

^^^This got a flag....seriously?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Lolz.

Meanie

Grow up.

Pot meet kettle.

^^^This got a flag....seriously?

I know right? LOL
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Noticed the OP passes over the people who have done the 17 day diet and gained it all back plus some!!

LOL, Op you will do well.

I think some of these people, WK's, will pat/push people on the back right over a cliff. JS
  • GlindaGoodwitch
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Noticed the OP passes over the people who have done the 17 day diet and gained it all back plus some!!

I think some of these people, WK's, will pat/push people on the back right over a cliff. JS

Everyone is different. I can see how one would gain back everything if they go back to their previous eating habits. You might gain too, if you went back to your previous eating habits.

I think what we need to understand is where everyone is coming from. I could sit here and give you a full menu of what I used to eat vs what I've been eating over the past few weeks, and then again what I plan to eat in the future, but all you're reading is "fad diet = will fail". You haven't taken a moment to get to know me, or ask me what my goals are, or what my plans are, how I'm doing, etc. I could have started this post with "I'm thinking of reducing the number of carbs I eat, and increasing my fruites, veggies and lean proteins".
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I tried it a couple of years ago and about a week and a half into the first phase wanted to stab people... intense carb reduction doesn't work for me. XD So DBF and I joined the Y and started reducing portions and changing the proportions of protein/carbs/fats and I've lost weight without hurting people.
  • GlindaGoodwitch
    Options
    ljmorgi wrote: »
    I tried it a couple of years ago and about a week and a half into the first phase wanted to stab people... intense carb reduction doesn't work for me. XD So DBF and I joined the Y and started reducing portions and changing the proportions of protein/carbs/fats and I've lost weight without hurting people.

Yes, I'm actually really curious how I will feel once I start my run training next week. I have a feeling I'm going to be starving, and will have to adjust my tactics ;) This has been working as most of my day is fairly sedentary, but once I start training 3+ times a week, I'm going to need a lot more protein.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Everyone is different. I can see how one would gain back everything if they go back to their previous eating habits. You might gain too, if you went back to your previous eating habits.

I think what we need to understand is where everyone is coming from. I could sit here and give you a full menu of what I used to eat vs what I've been eating over the past few weeks, and then again what I plan to eat in the future, but all you're reading is "fad diet = will fail". You haven't taken a moment to get to know me, or ask me what my goals are, or what my plans are, how I'm doing, etc. I could have started this post with "I'm thinking of reducing the number of carbs I eat, and increasing my fruites, veggies and lean proteins".

I have done all the crazy fad diets and restricting certain food groups and it got me no where, yeah I lost, but never learned anything!! Until I started listening to the "mean" people and they are correct, I can eat what ever I wanted in moderation, lost 121 pounds doing it and it it's sustainable and now been maintaining almost 6 months.

Forget the diet, keep track of calories, making sure you eating and hitting all your macs/micros and move more equals weight loss which equals sustainable life eating.
  • GlindaGoodwitch
    Options

I have done all the crazy fad diets and restricting certain food groups and it got me no where, yeah I lost, but never learned anything!! Until I started listening to the "mean" people and they are correct, I can eat what ever I wanted in moderation, lost 121 pounds doing it and it it's sustainable and now been maintaining almost 6 months.

Forget the diet, keep track of calories, making sure you eating and hitting all your macs/micros and move more equals weight loss which equals sustainable life eating.

So what you're saying is, you had to get there on your own? And realize your mistakes for yourself, and figure out what works for you?
  • ingridehikwe
    ingridehikwe Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This is my second time doing this diet ad like the first time I'm quiet impressed with the result. Did it in 2012 and kept the weight off till I had my LO nine months ago....funny thing is I still weighed less than I did when I initially started the "diet" in 2012. So for everyone who's dead setting that you'll gain the weight back, I'm proof it's not alway true for everyone. Not matter what you choose to do if you lose weight and go back to a terrible eating habit you will always gain weight!!! Heck even if you have gastric surgery if you still eat *kitten* you'll gain the weight back.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Does this look challenging? Not only am I making healthier meals for my family, but the only things I've cut out of my diet thus far, are a daily bagel or muffin on my way to work, or a bowl of cereal while I watch tv at night. I'm not saying I'm never going to have these things again, or pizza or whatever - it's 4 cycles, the 4th is maintenance, by which time you can have these things again in moderation - instead of regularly. That sounds pretty reasonable. I think you 'veterans' have already figured out your zen place and how to get there. Not every has. Some people need a little help to get to where you are. I'm not looking for YOU to get me there, and you don't know me, or care if fail or succeed or don't log on tomorrow.

Breakfast: 2 egg omelet, with mushrooms and bell peppers
    Lunch: Spinach Salad with chicken, cucumbers and bell peppers
    Dinner: Souvlaki chicken with steamed broccoli and caramelized carrots, side of greek salad.
    Snacks: 1 100g greek yogurt, apple, berries (throughout the day)
    Green tea, and adequate water throughout the day.

This sounds healthy and very manageable. Mostly how I am trying to eat. Keep up the good work!
  • bhealthy1516
    bhealthy1516 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree that eating in moderation is key.

I am not currently disciplined enough to do that, which is why I wanted something with more structure, and work up to eating in moderation. Clearly what I WAS eating, wasn't working, so I wanted a plan, and a change. This is what I chose.

Hi, I'm going to do something that's not for everyone either, I can't seem to
    Control my eating, so gonna just do green smoothies with some fruits, mainly veggies, some seeds, Chia and hemp too.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty pleased thus far - I'm down 7 pounds since March 1st, and one pant size. I'm not missing the carbs, and otherwise eating better than I have in years :) I will say, I stuck to the food lists pretty strictly, but didn't pay much attention to the time of day, or some of the ultra specifics. I have tried to make it as easy and realistic on myself as possible. We are a family of 4, so keeping it real is pretty important. And 7 pounds may not seem like much to some, but it's pretty motivating to me!

That is awesome! I agree cutting carbs...pastas....starches helps a TON! I still eat some but not like i used to....hence why I gained my weight back :-(
    And like you I would rather cut out a food entirely than try to eat in moderation. Like pizza....I cannot eat one piece....I want to eat 4! So I stay away or modify it and eat it on a whole what pita or make my own dough made with whole wheat organic flour.
    I don't think you are using this like a "fad diet" like most people are saying. It is simply a better, more regulated way to get you back to eating healthy. I am the same way. I will print out a list of foods I should be eating and shop only for those and get creative in my recipes so I don't get bored and binge or get off track.
  • randomtai
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Lolz @ this thread. Never change MFP
  • brcossette
    brcossette Posts: 89 Member
    Options

This makes sense
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options

I think I've skipped over "facepalm" and gone straight to facedesk. smh.
  • randomtai
    Options
    SconnieCat wrote: »

I think I've skipped over "facepalm" and gone straight to facedesk. smh.

So much this!

latest?cb=20150216184222
  • JeneeAnne
    Options
    I re-started on the 1st cycle on 03/23/2015 :) I LOVE this diet!!! I am down 47 lbs since last August 2014. I have not gained any of the weight back and it kickstarted my metabolism. Try it and PHOOEY on the na-sayers! It works for me, I love it, and I am more active and healthy because of this diet. I am learning about my body and how it reacts to food, excercise, etc. I no longer have heartburn, have tremendous amounts of energy and am sleeping better than I have in years. PLEASE do not listen to those who would discourage you by offering their "friendly" non-professional advice on what YOU should do for your own body. All that does is make you more discouraged and more likely to say SCREW IT and not try it. I am a walking testament that this diet does work and works well. If you want a support buddy, let me know :)
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    JeneeAnne wrote: »
    I re-started on the 1st cycle on 03/23/2015 :) I LOVE this diet!!! I am down 47 lbs since last August 2014. I have not gained any of the weight back and it kickstarted my metabolism. Try it and PHOOEY on the na-sayers! It works for me, I love it, and I am more active and healthy because of this diet. I am learning about my body and how it reacts to food, excercise, etc. I no longer have heartburn, have tremendous amounts of energy and am sleeping better than I have in years. PLEASE do not listen to those who would discourage you by offering their "friendly" non-professional advice on what YOU should do for your own body. All that does is make you more discouraged and more likely to say SCREW IT and not try it. I am a walking testament that this diet does work and works well. If you want a support buddy, let me know :)

Kickstart your metabolism, eh? I didn't realize metabolism was a dirtbike.

Congrats on the weight loss... and since you're new here, let me just say that the forums are a great place for people to get advice on both sides of an issue. It's not all going to be pom-poms and spirit fingers, telling the OP to dive into whatever it is that he or she has his or her heart set on.

Down 47 pounds in 8 months is good. Have you been doing the same diet on repeat for the last 8 months?
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    It depends, I have seen lot of people stop counting calories once they lose weight and then gain back. I see ton of posts here about people starting it again and again. Its not the fault of a weight loss diet that they gained back the weight. The problem is maintenance, they didn't have a good maintenance plan. Stop blaming weight gain on something which helps you lose weight. Take calorie counting, moderation, low carb, paleo or anything, if some one doesn't have a good maintenance plan they will fail. I rarely eat carbs, every told me that I can't sustain the life style, but for me its the right fit. I don't even have to use the will power to moderate. I eat what ever I want till I am full and don't even count calories. There is nothing wrong with a cycle of weight loss diet followed by good maintenance plan, lots of athletes do it.

See, that's just my point, learning to maintain is where people struggle, and cutting out foods to lose weight only to add them back in during maintenance is a recipe for failure for many people. I didn't say that it's a 100% certainty, some people make it work, and that's great, but the vast majority don't.

Rigger

Like you said, it is hard when you re-introduce these foods. For me, it took a good 2-4 weeks and a hell of a face plant to find a balance. But the fact that I had already lost 12lbs helped me hang in there until I was able to gain somewhat of self-control. So it might not have prepared me to face these foods, but it did help me to build a momentum big enough so that even when I did fall, I got back up. And it also helped me to learn basing my meals around other important nutrients like protein and fats. Because let's face it, most junk is carbs (ice cream, chocolate, donuts, chips).

Now that I am well into my journey, I can enjoy a little bit of everything, and sometimes I even go way overboard, but I am always back at it the next day!