TO SWEAT OR NOT TO SWEAT-GYM ETIQUETTE

Options

Replies

• kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    My gym has an attendant who walks around cleaning equipment after people and they also have stations with spray and a cloth for people to wipe equipment down after themselves. I would begin to wonder if I could workout and not sweat.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    OdesAngel wrote: »
    Things people should not be doing at the gym:
    1. Eating chicken soup on the Stairmaster.
    2. Hanging their undies in the squat rack
    3. Doing their taxes on the spin bikes
    4. Drinking champagne in the locker rooms

Sweating is ok. I think.

what about sex and champagne in the locker room???

Sex in the champagne room?

well that too ...
  • allie_00p
    allie_00p Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    wait, a guy was sweating in a gym? Why the hell would anyone sweat in a gym ...??? I don't understand what is going on here....

I thought you were supposed to stand around and do nothing in a gym...?

I'm thinking this may become a new rule at Planet Fitness...no sweat zone baby.

"sweat alarm"

or their new slogan will be:

"no sweat/no judgment zone"

Sweating = gymtimidation

• CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I don't see the big deal as long as you clean the machine when you are done with it. You can bring a towel, but if you are sweating that much, the towel will be damp/wet in short order. What do most people do with the sweat soaked towel? Throw it on some part of the machine...Just wipe the stupid thing down.
  • ndj1979
    edited March 2015
    Options
    these guys alwyas sweat at my gym ....

200.gif
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    In for sweat. In for champagne.

I sweat like a pig on the bike often next to a couple of guys reading the newspaper (they swap them halfway through their workout). Maybe I should use their newspaper to mop up my sweat?..
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    sweating, breathing hard, looking exhausted, turning red....

i mean, so inconsiderate!

^ :DB):#o:)>:) ^

I'm a dripping mess after a Zumba class - try not to get too close!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    belgerian wrote: »
    You would hate me I sweat immensely and I mean after my work out I look like I just jumped in the pool. I have yet found out how to turn off my sweat glands. If this offends you find another machine. Or another gym. Now a while back due to some other issues I had really bad gas (that is another story)

I was at the gym one day running on the treadmill. It was absolutely pouring outside, like the kind of rain that you are instantly drenched when you go out. As I was walking by the desk after my run to go to the locker room one of the employees made a comment about me having just come in from outside. LOL. Nope. I was just running.

(Don't worry, I wiped down the equipment and made sure that my ponytail wasn't flinging sweat).
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Lol, proper etiquette would be to sweat along right with him.

Etiquette would be to wipe down and/or disinfect equipment when done. When they're on there, it really shouldn't be anyone else's concern. Don't like sweating people? Then working out at home should be your option.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • doingItIn2012
    doingItIn2012 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    If it bothered you so much, you could have gone to the bathroom and then chosen another machine.

It did not bother me that much, this is just discussion.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    ellen_kay wrote: »
    You go to the gym to sweat. Just be courteous and wipe the machine down when you are done. Haven't you heard the saying, "If you still look pretty leaving the gym, you didn't do it right"

What if I'm a pretty when I sweat? Am I doing it wrong? :(

From a man, Women sweating. Nothing wrong with that :wink:

Just don't get it on his face.

HydeKelsoThread1acopy_zpsc4f53415.jpg
  • Shalaurise
    Shalaurise Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Were you upset because he was sweating, or because he wasn't wiping off the sweat with a towel before it hit the floor? This is an important question as my response relies dramatically on your answer.

Sweat yes, but contain it please.

If I'm going to sweat I wear one of these.

Z5H580.JPG

I less than three you so hard Waffle.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    If it bothered you so much, you could have gone to the bathroom and then chosen another machine.

I think if it bothered you enough to start this discussion on it then it's safe to say that it did bother you that much.

either that or this thread is not going how OP intended, so now she is just trying to blow it off as "no big deal"
  • doingItIn2012
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

I think if it bothered you enough to start this discussion on it then it's safe to say that it did bother you that much.

Hey if you read my entire post I was alo asking about what other things bother people. Some of you guys here are pretty mean. Can a person have an opinion?
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i dont sweat much, but i do turn beet red. like, i look like im having a heart attack (i promise im not!)

i wonder if that offends anyone?

i can hope....
  • doingItIn2012
    Options
    Wow.....can we not express ourselves without others hitting us over the head?
  • acook1679
    acook1679 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I sweat like crazy! Especially when they have the heat up too high. I think if you clean up the machine and aren't splashing others that is the place sweating should be acceptable. Everybody is different. Some sweat some don't.
  • doingItIn2012
    Options
    i dont sweat much, but i do turn beet red. like, i look like im having a heart attack (i promise im not!)

i wonder if that offends anyone?

i can hope....

Lol! someone might be concerned as long as they don't try to get you off the machine and give you first aid.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Wow.....can we not express ourselves without others hitting us over the head?

You expressed yourself and we are allowed to do the same, just because some of us don't agree with you doesn't mean we hit you over the head... that would be a fun feature though
This discussion has been closed.