Attn: WOMAN what birth controls are effective without rapid weight gain?

Options

Replies

• Improve1
    Improve1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    so avoid the shot, I found the nuvaring with no side effects
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    On the Levelen pill and no problems - losing. Slowly, but losing. The "gain weight on birth control" myth is just that.
  • emily9423
    emily9423 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    triciab79 wrote: »
    FYI though I would seriously advise abstinence if you are not in a long term committed relationship. I work for a public health company and if you think the side effects of birth control pills are bad, you will not like the side effects of STDs or their medications. Babies are not the only thing that you can get from playing it fast and loose.

"What kind of birth control should I use?"

DONT HAVE SEX, YOU IMBECILE.
    THAT'S WHAT KIND.

Lol I've been with my boyfriend for 5 years...we're good.
  • emily9423
    emily9423 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    triciab79 wrote: »
    FYI though I would seriously advise abstinence if you are not in a long term committed relationship. I work for a public health company and if you think the side effects of birth control pills are bad, you will not like the side effects of STDs or their medications. Babies are not the only thing that you can get from playing it fast and loose.

I've been with my boyfriend for 5 years and living together for over a year. We are both all set.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Condoms.
  • lilbea89
    lilbea89 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm starting the skyla IUD tomorrow. Its just like mirena but smaller and designed for women who haven't had babies yet. It lasts 3 years instead of 5 but my gyno recommended to me because my insurance runs out soon and I won't need to replace it for some time. She assured me if there was weight gain shed only seen minimal (5lbs tops). I think because its local and the hormones don't circulate your blood stream they don't have a chance to effect your appetite as much as a pill there for I could continue my weight loss more easily. I'm excited
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    swallow-01.jpg
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I tried three birth control pills before being placed on one called Cryselle. No appetite change, no weight gain, no bloating, light bleeding, very few bouts of cramps.

Key is finding a pill with the right balance of hormones, which only your doctor can help with. My first pill made me furious, moody and homicidal. Not fun.

My best friend nearly died after getting an implant; it dislodged and implanted into the side of her uterus. Every method has risks, but all work for someone, somewhere!

My sister-in-law swears by Nuva Ring.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've been on a generic vesion of Mircette called Azurette since 2008. I've been putting on weight pretty steadily since 2001, so who knows if it's made it worse at all, but I'm not having trouble losing weight yet. My cycles have stopped altogether, so I don't go through so many ups and downs, but my doc says that's actually uncommon (but not worrisome) for this pill.
  • pollypocket1021
    pollypocket1021 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    emily9423 wrote: »
    Mirena, but my strings poke my hub

That's what I'm worried about with mirena. Well also the idea of having something constantly up there is very uncomfortable to me haha

I'm on my third IUD. I have had three kids and get them put back in asap after childbirth.

The second was problematic because of the strings. I talked to multiple OBs about this and they said the strings where cut too short. So this last time I made sure the string was longer. Hubby can't tell it's there.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Meggers003 wrote: »
    I've been using nuvaring, it's been great alternative to taking hormonal contraceptive. There are still hormones but they're directly delivered to the area

This might be a super invasive question so feel free not to answer but do you find yourself noticing that the nuva ring is in?

I used it back in college and never noticed it. A partner noticed it and ripped it out/threw it across the room once though.
  • krysmuree
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I've been using nuvaring, it's been great alternative to taking hormonal contraceptive. There are still hormones but they're directly delivered to the area

This might be a super invasive question so feel free not to answer but do you find yourself noticing that the nuva ring is in?

I used it back in college and never noticed it. A partner noticed it and ripped it out/threw it across the room once though.

.. I'm hoping you mean they noticed it, freaked out and threw it across the room in terror, not that they noticed it and flew into a rage, hahaha. :s;)
  • tinkerbug83
    Options
    I was on the pill for about 10 years, and while I didn't notice any weight gain or loss. A few months ago, my DH and I decided to start trying for a family and so I went off the pill and decided to try the FAM method.
    There are different options: try to conceive, try to avoid and just tracking. It may not be the solution for you, but it's worth looking into if the pill is making you feel sick. I use the Kindara app, which has been great so far.

• arditarose
    Options

.. I'm hoping you mean they noticed it, freaked out and threw it across the room in terror, not that they noticed it and flew into a rage, hahaha. :s;)

Yeah, not in a rage. He just didn't know what it was. Oh college.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

*cannot identify*

*must destroy*
  • arditarose
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

*cannot identify*

*must destroy*

lol

• BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    I've been on and off oral contraceptives for over a decade. I'm currently taking Mirvala and I've experienced no appetite change, no weight gain, very light bloating, bleeding and cramping. I don't smoke, I make damn sure I take my pill around the same time every day and I've never experienced a single issue!
  • krysmuree
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

*cannot identify*

*must destroy*

Hahaha! :#
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    IUD...you can get a kind that contains no hormones called Paragard.

Edit...I see someone already mentioned this with a good list of pros and cons. Still worth considering even with some of the cons. The worst for me was getting it put in. Not the best experience.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Goodness, the visual on this!

I took the pill for close to 10 years. During that time, I tried probably 8-12 different kinds. It just wasn't a good fit for me. After having my daughter, I tried a diaphragm for a very short period of time. I found it to be awkward and weird and that's when I decided on ParaGard, which I've had for 4 (or 5?) years with no problems.