How do you do 1200 Calories?

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    I just changed my calories up to 1690. Which is my goal weight maintenance calories. I'm so happy I could cry :bigsmile:
    . It means the weight will come off slower, but with only 7lbs left to go, I really don't care. And there's no hard and fast rule that I have to eat every single calorie, I'm sure there'll be days I'll be able to do 1200 calories. It's just nice to have another doable option :+1:

Christine, I think you made a wise choice for the moment as it seems to be getting you down too much at the moment. Sometimes I think it is a good idea to stop doing what you are doing and refocus and I really should take some of my own advice. :p
    Good luck and don't forget to eat your veggies!! :)

oh lordy... Yes Mum :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: xx I've been trying.
    Definitely the best thing for me at the moment, as diet burnout was rearing it's head :(

• LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    As they say on meditation tapes - "Breathe in, relax and let it happen." :D
  • Mitzimum
    Mitzimum Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Mitzimum wrote: »
    honestly, I really don't think 1200 calorie diets work. This is from my own experience of course, basically you should work out how many calories you need to eat to lose weight based on your height, weightloss goal, age and a few other factors. I found I actually hold onto weight if I eat less than 1600 a day and can't lose weight at all. I highly recommend working out your calories using a calculator such as this http://www.losebabyweight.com.au/weight-loss/body-mass-index/
    it could make your life a whole lot more enjoyable and successful

I've lost 142+ lbs in just under 11 months eating on average 1200ish cals. It works just fine and I don't suffer from hangry, lack of energy or what have you. I still have nearly 80lbs to lose and will likely continue to ride the 1200-1300 train as far as it will take me, until I reverse diet out to maintenance.

That's an amazing achievement you have obviously found what works for you. Well done :smile:
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    flaminica wrote: »
    1200 a day is easy if you're 5'0", small-boned and over 50. Even my future maintenance weight is probably only 1600 or so. I got fat in the first place because I spent a few decades eating a larger person's portions out of social and family obligation. It's a relief now to have an excuse to eat what what I need and no more. I've never been hungry since after the first week. If anything I have to force myself to finish that last hundred at the end of the day.

Seriously?
    I don't think very many people "want" to eat 1200 or feel its "easy" (although do-able) to eat at 1200.
    Im 4'2 and 41 yrs old and I enjoy eating so for me its not "easy" but necessary.
    We didn't get at our weight by not enjoying ALL kinds/types of foods, that's why most of us are here to fix this issue!
    Being short or of "age" does not mean we don't like our food(s)
    ETA: Just as soon as I get taller or Im in maintenance, whichever comes 1st, then my count may go up :wink:
    Like everyone else, when exercise is counted into my day then I may have more but this # is w/out.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Chipotle burrito and bag of chips for 1500.

That's on big exercise day.

I know that's more than 1200, but I don't have any meal that is right at 1200.
  • yasmine334
    yasmine334 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I have a 1200 calorie goal and workout six days a week. I RARELY net over 1000 calories. And sometimes I don't even net it on my rest day. I'm training for a half marathon and doing a lot of running. But I'm trying to up my protein and calories so I'm doing it in a healthier way. :neutral_face:

But I don't really have many issues with feeling hungry anymore. I drink a lot of water and try to make filling food choices. :)

sorry, but this sounds so unhealthy and malnutrition.
  • yasmine334
    yasmine334 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    For breakfast :) I do Crossfit & powerlifting. I maintain on 2800 calories per day.

Awesome! whats your stats and your height, if I may ask :)

• krissyreminisce
    krissyreminisce Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    yasmine334 wrote: »
    I have a 1200 calorie goal and workout six days a week. I RARELY net over 1000 calories. And sometimes I don't even net it on my rest day. I'm training for a half marathon and doing a lot of running. But I'm trying to up my protein and calories so I'm doing it in a healthier way. :neutral_face:

But I don't really have many issues with feeling hungry anymore. I drink a lot of water and try to make filling food choices. :)

sorry, but this sounds so unhealthy and malnutrition.

I know, I'm working on trying to fix it but I'm struggling to get past my own fears and anxieties about gaining the weight back. :frowning:
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    KBmoments wrote: »
    whatatime wrote: »
    There seems to be some assumptions that if you are on 1200 calories per week, that you are trying to lose fast or 2 lbs per week. That is not necessarily true. Whether I set my goal as 1 or 1.5 lbs per week, I get 1200 calories per day. I'm 5'1, 40 years old, and have a sedentary (desk) job. For someone short like me, trying to lose any weight, 1200 calories is what my body needs. Don't assume that everyone at 1200 calories are trying for fast/big losses. I'm definitely not.

YES

I guess I need to disagree on that sentiment. When that advice or "assumption" is brought up on here it's normally directed at the 5'8" 20something who's eating 1200 gross calories trying to cut that last 4lbs of vanity weight at 2lbs per week, not really the sedentary 40 something that's 5ft tall.
  • Sarahsteed92
    Sarahsteed92 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I too also do a pint of artic zero ice cream every night! Love all these posts
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure Arctic Zero is *not* "ice cream".

Please do not besmirch the good name of actual ice cream.
  • littlebabooshka
    littlebabooshka Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins!
  • Sarahsteed92
    Sarahsteed92 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

You're so right not ice cream! But it's a good treat:)
  • JokerAndThief
    Options
    I'm minimal carbs, focusing mainly on vegetables, including sweet potatoes, as my main carb source daily and grains on workout days, but still find it hard to do my set base of 1600 calories. How do those of you doing 1200, not give up or kill someone because of hunger? Not judging, genuinely curious!

I eat Kale, which holds lots of proteins and drink green tea, that combination is healthy and has low calories ^-^
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

You're so right not ice cream! But it's a good treat:)

:+1:
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    Options
    Some of these meals sound like snacks :(
  • 4bettermenow
    4bettermenow Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    debrag12 wrote: »

My lunch today was two pieces of sourdough toast with laughing cow cheese and avocado. It filled me up. I do try to drink a glass of water before I eat though...so maybe that helps? I know I will be fine till dinnertime which is in about two hours. So...it does work for some.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options

If you eat enough well-timed "snacks" you don't really need a big "meal," so it works out. :smile:
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options

I know what you mean. I am a three meals a day kinda girl (with snacks in between.) I have always been a big eater but have never been overweight until I hit menopause and even now I only have a few kilos to lose. Eating 1200 calories is bloody hard.