Why did you come to the conclusion to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• rebeccaschlaht
    rebeccaschlaht Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I always say that I would protect my family if I had to. Well I noticed that in my current shape I was kidding myself. I am dependent on others to take of me and my family and I hate that. I am losing the weight and eating healthy to be there for my family if they need me. We own property and on the weekends we working the the garden, clear land, chop wood, take hikes and I just cant keep up. If I want to take care of my family I have to prove it and show them i will do anything to do that.
  • doingItIn2012
    doingItIn2012 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    After eating out daily for six months with my co-workers at my new job I went to my favorite store to buy a new pair of my pants only to find the size the rack did not have the next size up. I asked the sales person if they had it in stock to which she than said pointing to the one I was holding. 'Oh no that is the largest size. Maybe you would like to check the store next door they have may have a similar on there.' I was like ok and went next door only to find that it was a plus size store. Their clothes were too big for me I so went home and cried. And then made the decision to do something about it.
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Two things. My doctor told me I was pre-diabetic, and I read a scary article about visceral fat, which was where I had the very vast majority of my fat.
  • angeltilo
    angeltilo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    First, I not only got to 200 but surpassed it by a few pounds. I have heartburn and back aches constantly. I look at pictures and don't like how I look. I am getting to an age where getting in shape is just going to get harder so I need to do it now. I would really like for once to not be chubby.
  • mountwc
    mountwc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I ignored it for a long time. But my moment was when I went to the doctor and was 400lbs. I was mortified. Now, 2 months later, I'm already down to 380.. On my way to a goal of 275. Then we set another goal :smiley:
  • JeffS435
    JeffS435 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I had a conversation with my diabetic case manager and we discussed this site. Also, that it might be easier to control my diabetes if I was closer to 180 pounds. I'm 7 pounds away now.
  • hyIianprincess
    hyIianprincess Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    dougl004 wrote: »
    LoL......please explain skinny fat??!!
    I was a healthy weight for my height (115lbs) but I had high body fat.
  • nxiety
    nxiety Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I wanted to get back into shape. No real reason other than that. Being healthier was a good enough reward and made it easier to be lighter on my feet.
  • Redbeard333
    Redbeard333 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I weighed myself 2 months ago and saw I was at 286 lbs; heaviest I've ever been. Since then I've been religiously logging on MFP and have lost 16 lbs. My doctor was happy last week in my bi-annual check-up since my weight and bp have dropped, but I still have a ways to go. I'm hoping to hit 250 before my summer break, which would be the lightest I've been in years.

It's not easy to work 60+ hrs/week and still get out and move, but I'm trying out hitting the gym on the weekends to aid the loss.
  • thursdayswoman
    thursdayswoman Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    My fat is literally getting in the way of my ability to move.
  • wathjo1
    wathjo1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I purchased a pair of jeans in December and couldn't button them mid-January. baaaad deal.
  • chrissyfitter
    chrissyfitter Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I was asked if I was pregnant. And nothing in my closet fit except my t shirts and fat pants. :(
  • dougl004
    dougl004 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I was asked if I was pregnant. And nothing in my closet fit except my t shirts and fat pants. :(

I can relate. I was still wearing maternity pants and my daughter was one. This prompted me to get serious about getting healthy and losing weight.
  • maxxi
    maxxi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    When someone I don't know that well asked me if the could ask a personal question.

I said: 'umm o.k?'

They said: 'Do you want to lose some weight?'

I said:(a little surprised!) Of course I do (can't deny whats obvious to see!)

They proceeded to offer me advice on how to do it...

and then said: ' you could be very good looking if you did!'

At this point I was a bit stunned and didn't know what to say, I'm still not sure if I should be insulted or not! It has made me wonder, 'how bad do I look now?'

Appropriate or not, it has made me really think, sometimes comments from (relative) strangers can hit home harder than those from loved ones.

This was yesterday but the comments are still stinging a bit - I must look worse than I think I do, a bit of a reality check.

What way would you take a conversation like that from someone you don't really know?

• NotQuiteNorm
    NotQuiteNorm Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Finding out that my BMI classed me as overweight and for once not being able to blame muscle mass because I am far weaker than I was last time I was active (October) and over 20lb heavier.

It's surprising how hard something I don't usually care too much about hit me, but I'm so glad I did!
  • maxxi
    maxxi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh and plane seats, cinema seats, theatre seats etc. are feeling a little snug (thanks pear shape genes!)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Nothing dramatic. My pants were getting tighter and I didn't want to buy new.
  • Nuka_Gina
    Nuka_Gina Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    When my doctor told me I would be diabetic by 40 if I didn't lose weight.
  • Mick63116
    Mick63116 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I just turned 30 in January my wife i want kids i realized walking across the yard i got really winded how am i gonna be able to chase my mini mes down and play with them?

Always look to motivate and help motivate if youd like folks ad me
  • MirryhaD
    MirryhaD Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The Dr. says my BMI is Obese for my height, my entire family is huge, diabetes and cancer run as thick as the Nile in my family, I want to be able to wear a swim suit and not want to hide, and above all none of my pants fit the way I want them to...