Alkaline water?

Options

Replies

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Holy s---. I can't believe this is a "thing" and that people actually would believe this bulls---. Oh wait... this is the internet... never mind...

I can't believe you haven't seen the alkaline water marketing plastered all over the 'healthier' grocery stores. It's even supplanted the ads for coconut water. It's like the manufacturer realizes that it's a ready-made market for woo. Oh, wait ...
  • TheAnayalator
    TheAnayalator Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    anayapaya wrote: »
    Holy s---. I can't believe this is a "thing" and that people actually would believe this bulls---. Oh wait... this is the internet... never mind...

Well can you explain why its bull? I was only asking a question.

Have you not read the replies in this thread. They clearly show why it's bull.

I read the replies. I was just asking that person specifically because they wanted to be rude and not give any reason why.
  • TheAnayalator
    Options
    tibby531 wrote: »
    I'm glad I found this post. I had been getting the alkaline water from TJs, too. I was having leg cramps every night and was trying to get more magnesium in my system. I also got new workout shoes at the same time, and now I'm wondering if the cramps went away because of the shoes. guess I'll try going without the water and seeing what happens. fingers crossed that I'll be able to save $5/week! thanks, again, y'all! :)

Well i had noticed that since i had been drinking it i have been getting a much better sleep where as normally, i cant sleep straight without waking up for more than 1 hour. Hope your cramps go away.
  • zombiegirlfriend
    zombiegirlfriend Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It's amazing to me how things are sold to us as "healthy" - and if you do even the slightest bit of research, it's terrifying.
  • TheAnayalator
    Options
    It's amazing to me how things are sold to us as "healthy" - and if you do even the slightest bit of research, it's terrifying.

So true!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »

I can't believe you haven't seen the alkaline water marketing plastered all over the 'healthier' grocery stores. It's even supplanted the ads for coconut water. It's like the manufacturer realizes that it's a ready-made market for woo. Oh, wait ...

How is this post abusive?
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    If you want magnesium in water, just buy Natural Calm (it's a powder) and use a teaspoon in your glass of water. You'll save money.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

How is this post abusive?

I guess somebody's sensitive that they shop at Whole Foods or some such?
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    If you want magnesium in water, just buy Natural Calm (it's a powder) and use a teaspoon in your glass of water. You'll save money.

just drink hard water...
  • zombiegirlfriend
    zombiegirlfriend Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    just drink hard water...

Welcome to Arizona LOL

I drink water... HARD.

I am hilarious... I'll be here all night. :wink: :wink: :wink:
  • _John_
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    just drink hard water...

Welcome to Arizona LOL

I drink water... HARD.

I am hilarious... I'll be here all night. :wink: :wink: :wink:

yeah, I complain about our hard water at 18 grains per gallon...but I'd HATE much harder water.

Heck, even after you soften it, the TDS would still leave deposits everywhere when your water dried (and we have a slate tile shower with a glass door; HELL naw on poor water quality in this house)
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

I try to avoid those kinds of stores. I also don't go near the bottled water section of my usual store. I tend to be one of those "perimeter shoppers" and rarely venture into the middle except to get some cereal, rice, bread and a few things like that.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options

Well can you explain why its bull? I was only asking a question.

Read the replies. That is all you need. You cannot effect the "pH of your body" by drinking basic water any more than you can alter it by drinking something acidic. As was stated earlier if you could you would die pretty quickly. The body operates on a very narrow range of pH and any deviation from that would result in pretty serious illness quickly. This "alkaline water" thing is nothing more than a ploy to empty your wallet and make you think you are dependent on some product that nobody needs.

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I know many fitness models and competitors are now on the alkaline band wagon. They get so excited when they test their urine and it comes back "favorable" after they started drinking alkaline water. Unfortunately I don't think they realize that your urine only indicates how basic or acidic your diet is, not what the pH of your blood is. The body only allows a very tiny fluctuation of our blood's pH and they'd have to take in much more alkaline water to do that.

If you absolutely must try alkaline water just add baking soda to your water. It may help reduce heartburn, but it won't do much else.
  • wellz6
    wellz6 Posts: 81
    Options
    When they say it's more expensive, they mean it's more expensive than water from, say, your tap. Which is perfectly healthy to drink and is usually regulated more heavily than bottled water anyway. If you're worried about drinking it straight, get a filter for your tap, drink filtered water from your fridge, or use a Brita pitcher. No reason to buy bottled water, alkaline or otherwise.

Plus it's better for the environment.

I have a distiller that I use at home to purify my tap water. Even after distilling one gallon there is some white residue left over at the bottom of the distiller. I distill 1-2 gallons a day and after a week there is a hard layer of white crust stuck to the bottom of the distiller that can only be removed by a chemical residue cleaner. This is the stuff that is in tap water (dissolved solids) and that your body has to filter out when drinking tap water daily. How is that perfectly healthy to drink?
  • wellz6
    wellz6 Posts: 81
    Options

Sorry im new to this app and im just now seeing all of these replies lol. Thank you for your detailed reply. I was wondering if the alkaline from my water would be messing with my stomach acid. Where do you get your structured water from?

Also to all the people saying alkaline water is more expensive its really not. I get my alkaline water for 1.19 a liter at whole foods which is a lot cheaper than dasani or any of those other brands.

You can purchase items to structure your own water (preferably after it's been purified first). Clayton Nolte makes some good ones and there is also the Vitalizer Plus that works well. Both are expensive up front but Clayton's are a one time purchase that requires no ongoing maintenance costs and will last for years.
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    wellz6 wrote: »
    When they say it's more expensive, they mean it's more expensive than water from, say, your tap. Which is perfectly healthy to drink and is usually regulated more heavily than bottled water anyway. If you're worried about drinking it straight, get a filter for your tap, drink filtered water from your fridge, or use a Brita pitcher. No reason to buy bottled water, alkaline or otherwise.

I have a distiller that I use at home to purify my tap water. Even after distilling one gallon there is some white residue left over at the bottom of the distiller. I distill 1-2 gallons a day and after a week there is a hard layer of white crust stuck to the bottom of the distiller that can only be removed by a chemical residue cleaner. This is the stuff that is in tap water (dissolved solids) and that your body has to filter out when drinking tap water daily. How is that perfectly healthy to drink?

Because what you are seeing is mostly calcium and magnesium deposits. Other trace minerals too. Once they precipitate out they are hard to remove. In solution they will pass right through you.

• _John_
    Options
    This is the stuff that is in tap water (dissolved solids) and that your body has to filter out when drinking tap water daily. How is that perfectly healthy to drink?

MOST of any waters dissolved solids are minerals that are essential to cellular function. Cations like calcium, magnesium, sodium, potassium, and anions like carbonate, chloride, sulfate, nitrate...
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    The main problem with the concept is that it is impossible to alter the pH of a patient's blood without causing severe health concerns. Mammalian blood contains a vast number of different pH buffers which evolved to automatically raise or lower the blood pH if a deviation occurs.[4] These buffers heep the pH of human blood between 7.35 and 7.45. If the buffers become saturated and the pH of the blood is altered more than +/-0.4 pH, death will result.[5] It is commonly claimed by alkaline diet proponents that cancer cells are killed in an alkaline environment, which is true, but so are almost all other cells in the human body.

Proponents will attempt to disregard the above by reminding us that it is possible to alter the pH of urine by eating or drinking particular foods, which is also true, but is completely independent of the blood pH. This is based on the metabolites of certain food chemicals (referred to as "Ash") becoming concentrated in the urine.[6] As a (healthy) bladder is an independent receptacle in the body, the pH of the fluid contained therein also has no effect on the blood pH. A different attempt at disregarding this is the claim that blood pH is balanced not by buffers but by excess acid being dumped from the blood into the cytoplasm of cells, meaning that blood pH won't reveal that your cells are dangerously acidic; needless to say, this is false.

Another clue of the ineffectiveness of an alkaline diet is that whatever food you eat will (obviously) pass through your stomach. The acidity of the stomach is affected by things such as stress, amount of food eaten, or infections. Eating acidic or alkaline foods has no effect on stomach pH, in much the same way as it has no effect on the pH of blood.[7]
    More recently, proponents claim that the benefits arise from reducing acid load in the body. It is claimed that when acid load is too high, "alkaline minerals" such as calcium are reclaimed by the body from bones leading to conditions such as osteoporosis. Meta-analysis studies have shown this is not the case.[8]

Far from being healthy, alkaline diets could actually be harmful, as they recommend removing certain food groups altogether rather than reducing certain types within the groups. Examples would be removing all fats and oils from the diet which provide Essential Fatty Acids, and dairy products, which are excellent sources of vitamins and minerals, especially vitamin D which is difficult to find in foods outside of dairy products.[9]
    A further theoretical problem comes from the definition of "acid/alkaline food" used by many proponents of the diet, which is based on burning the food in air and testing the pH of the resulting ashes and remains. The results of this uncontrolled oxidation have only the vaguest resemblance to the by-products created by the actual process of human digestion and respiration, which involves breaking down the food into its consistuent molecules and metabolising them separately.

[citation: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Alkaline_diet ]

/thread

Nice. I love a bit of nerdery in the evenings :-)
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    wellz6 wrote: »

Water quality will vary from region to region, but most places are fine to drink. Drinking distilled water is personal preference (I personally don't like the taste of distilled) but most municipal water is safe to drink unless you are publicly warned to avoid drinking the water due to contamination.

There is nothing inherently wrong with tap water...