Can I petition MFP users to use the terms "more ideal" and "less ideal" instead of good/bad foods?

Options

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    Good luck. :flowerforyou:

ETA: Also, apparently dirt food exists, and I'm an idiot for not knowing what the hell it means...

Isn't that like... dirt cake? You know, made out of oreos and pudding and gummy worms, etc?
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I usually say "foods that are traditionally thought of as 'healthy'" because most people can figure out what that means. Anyone who claims they can't is being disingenuous and just trying to start a fight IMO.

Me too. Although I do continue to describe the midnight greasey drunk burger from the death vans as 'bad food' or 'a loose facsimile for food' or 'questionably edible' or other such euphemism for the disgusting snacks that are so yummy to eat when drunk but you would not touch with a barge pole when sober.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    _John_ wrote: »
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    What would we argue about?

dunno. but I'm running out of popcorn for watching that other thread.

It's all a philosophical battle over whether "we'd" like someone to think exclusionary about food or inclusionary...

Is there butter on your popcorn? Because I'd like to suggest plain popcorn, which is more ideal.

Or, you could switch to something more nutrient dense, like kale!

Just give me the butter thanks. Fat is not "bad" after all, but corn is toxic for me :. :smile:
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Can we just call it food and leave the value statements out of it?
  • clipartghost
    clipartghost Posts: 32 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    no, because there are arguably no bad foods. There are no less ideal foods.
    Trans fats are pretty unarguably bad.

That's all I got.

Edit: No they're not, tincanonastring is right.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

That's all I got.

Truth
  • tincanonastring
    Options

That's all I got.

And here's where it turns into a bad food thread. I've heard there's already one of those going on. Grass-fed dairy and meet products have trans fat. Are those bad foods? No, they are food that one either chooses to eat or chooses not to eat. There's no reason to place a judge the value of food outside of a contextual conversation.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

That's all I got.

And here's where it turns into a bad food thread. I've heard there's already one of those going on. Grass-fed dairy and meet products have trans fat. Are those bad foods? No, they are food that one either chooses to eat or chooses not to eat. There's no reason to place a judge the value of food outside of a contextual conversation.

but those fall under the "natural" umbrella and are protected. As are "oreos" made from organic ingredients...
  • Macstraw
    Macstraw Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I checked with my food, none of it is offended by any terms used to describe it & it promised it's feelings won't get hurt..........
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

ETA: Also, apparently dirt food exists, and I'm an idiot for not knowing what the hell it means...

Isn't that like... dirt cake? You know, made out of oreos and pudding and gummy worms, etc?

OOH! I am in for dirt food, then!
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    Such an idealist idea.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    People really need to stop feeling personally attacked by other peoples lifestyle choices, opinions, and preferences. Honestly, I don't even care if people on the forums OUTRIGHT JUDGE me. It totally makes no difference in my day to day life.

I do want to snuggle warmly inside this so-called "safety box" though.
  • tincanonastring
    edited March 2015
    Options
    tibby531 wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »

OOH! I am in for dirt food, then!

*kitten*, I'd eat the *kitten* outta some dirt cake right now!
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options

Can you just release yourself of the need to feel in any way impacted by someone else's value statements about food?
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

Can you just release yourself of the need to feel in any way impacted by someone else's value statements about food?

that would be fine if everyone posting here was well informed and logical.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    I think a simple changing of wording will make everyone happy and fit inside everyone's safety box...

It's more typing that way.

More typing leads to more global warming per unit of information conveyed.

So I'm thinking...no.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    "Neurosis is the inability to tolerate ambiguity."

-Sigmund Freud
  • tincanonastring
    Options

Because a value statement about a food that I eat is a value statement about my diet, even if that's not the intent of the person making the statement. I, personally, don't give a flying *kitten* because I'm gonna eat whatever I want and anyone who has something to say about it can kindly *kitten* right off, but for a lurker with an eating disorder, they don't need to be constantly reading that something they have successfully incorporated into their diet to aid in their recovery is "bad."
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Because a value statement about a food that I eat is a value statement about my diet, even if that's not the intent of the person making the statement. I, personally, don't give a flying *kitten* because I'm gonna eat whatever I want and anyone who has something to say about it can kindly *kitten* right off, but for a lurker with an eating disorder, they don't need to be constantly reading that something they have successfully incorporated into their diet to aid in their recovery is "bad."

The idea that MFP is going to push someone back onto the ED train because someone said Oreos are "bad" is not evidence-based.