Can I petition MFP users to use the terms "more ideal" and "less ideal" instead of good/bad foods?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Can we just call it food and leave the value statements out of it?

Can you just release yourself of the need to feel in any way impacted by someone else's value statements about food?

Because a value statement about a food that I eat is a value statement about my diet, even if that's not the intent of the person making the statement. I, personally, don't give a flying *kitten* because I'm gonna eat whatever I want and anyone who has something to say about it can kindly *kitten* right off, but for a lurker with an eating disorder, they don't need to be constantly reading that something they have successfully incorporated into their diet to aid in their recovery is "bad."

So most of the arguing over good/bad food is just a benevolent effort to help those with an ED? ::huh::
  • clipartghost
    clipartghost Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    no, because there are arguably no bad foods. There are no less ideal foods.
    Trans fats are pretty unarguably bad.

That's all I got.

And here's where it turns into a bad food thread. I've heard there's already one of those going on. Grass-fed dairy and meet products have trans fat. Are those bad foods? No, they are food that one either chooses to eat or chooses not to eat. There's no reason to place a judge the value of food outside of a contextual conversation.
    Absolutely right, I apologize. It might be possible for a specific type of trans fat to bad bad if the naturally-occurring ones are different from the manufactured ones, but I don't have a strong enough chemistry or biology background to know that. This is just another example of why more specific wording and context would solve the problem.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Can you just release yourself of the need to feel in any way impacted by someone else's value statements about food?

Because a value statement about a food that I eat is a value statement about my diet, even if that's not the intent of the person making the statement. I, personally, don't give a flying *kitten* because I'm gonna eat whatever I want and anyone who has something to say about it can kindly *kitten* right off, but for a lurker with an eating disorder, they don't need to be constantly reading that something they have successfully incorporated into their diet to aid in their recovery is "bad."

The idea that MFP is going to push someone back onto the ED train because someone said Oreos are "bad" is not evidence-based.

It may not be; I haven't looked. Being sensitive to others, especially on forums about food where we know there are people coping with disordered eating, isn't something I feel the need to scientifically support. I do know that food shame is often a major factor in triggering events for people with ED, and I can easily see how seeing a discussion that refers to food as being good or bad can lead to feelings of shame.
  • tincanonastring
    Options

So most of the arguing over good/bad food is just a benevolent effort to help those with an ED? ::huh::

I can't speak for others who are arguing about it, you'll have to ask them, but that's my reason for not wanting to discuss food that way, yes.
  • rinteusp
    rinteusp Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Macstraw wrote: »
    I checked with my food, none of it is offended by any terms used to describe it & it promised it's feelings won't get hurt..........

Lol! Perfect.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options

The idea that MFP is going to push someone back onto the ED train because someone said Oreos are "bad" is not evidence-based.

It may not be; I haven't looked. Being sensitive to others, especially on forums about food where we know there are people coping with disordered eating, isn't something I feel the need to scientifically support. I do know that food shame is often a major factor in triggering events for people with ED, and I can easily see how seeing a discussion that refers to food as being good or bad can lead to feelings of shame.

I think that encouraging people to emotionally release themselves from the value judgments of strangers on the internet is a pretty sympathetic and sensitive position...
  • tincanonastring
    Options

I think that encouraging people to emotionally release themselves from the value judgments of strangers on the internet is a pretty sympathetic and sensitive position...

I didn't say it wasn't. I don't think any of us are qualified to do that, though, and even if some of us are, this is certainly not the venue.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

I didn't say it wasn't. I don't think any of us are qualified to do that, though, and even if some of us are, this is certainly not the venue.

This also isn't a venue where those sensitive to getting "disordered" should be, either.

• CountessKitteh
    CountessKitteh Posts: 1,505 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

If, as @tincanonastring said, they're LURKING on the forum, we'll never be able to quantify what helped or hurt them, since they won't tell us. This isn't a cut and dry sentiment, since there's no way to record data on the topic, but does that mean we shouldn't at least consider it as part of the the discussion? Especially since MFP isn't a loss-specific website, but rather for maintaining, and GAINING as well.

ETA - I forget how typing works sometimes.
  • tincanonastring
    Options

This also isn't a venue where those sensitive to getting "disordered" should be, either.

I'm not sure I agree with that, but the reality is that they are here and we know that.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I find this post to be .. less ideal.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    sullus wrote: »
    I find this post to be .. less ideal.

yeah, your post was pretty worthless. I actually agree ;)
  • gtslow
    gtslow Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You make the assumption that you are dealing with rational individuals that have better things to do than argue over the internet about semantics.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

I think it's very unfortunate that this is true.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    I think a simple changing of wording will make everyone happy and fit inside everyone's safety box...

A pototo is a more ideal if thrown at someone but it's less ideal in a smoothie? Does that work ;-)
  • clipartghost
    clipartghost Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Anyone can develop an ED, not just people who are "sensitive" to them (whatever that means). Classifying foods as good or bad can certainly contribute to developing one.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options

I think it's very unfortunate that this is true.

the entire forum world is just not healthy for the "disordered". Hell, we're all ****ed up some just for being here everyday...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Anyone can develop an ED, not just people who are "sensitive" to them (whatever that means). Classifying foods as good or bad can certainly contribute to developing one.

I suppose that's true, but it's not a given. Everyone I know I uses good and bad when talking about food. I don't know anyone with an eating disorder. Unless we are calling overeating a disorder.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Newspeak. Food is either good or ungood, never bad.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options

How can you not be qualified to provide encouragement?