Can I petition MFP users to use the terms "more ideal" and "less ideal" instead of good/bad foods?

Options

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Can we just call it food and leave the value statements out of it?

Can you just release yourself of the need to feel in any way impacted by someone else's value statements about food?

Because a value statement about a food that I eat is a value statement about my diet, even if that's not the intent of the person making the statement. I, personally, don't give a flying *kitten* because I'm gonna eat whatever I want and anyone who has something to say about it can kindly *kitten* right off, but for a lurker with an eating disorder, they don't need to be constantly reading that something they have successfully incorporated into their diet to aid in their recovery is "bad."

The idea that MFP is going to push someone back onto the ED train because someone said Oreos are "bad" is not evidence-based.

It may not be; I haven't looked. Being sensitive to others, especially on forums about food where we know there are people coping with disordered eating, isn't something I feel the need to scientifically support. I do know that food shame is often a major factor in triggering events for people with ED, and I can easily see how seeing a discussion that refers to food as being good or bad can lead to feelings of shame.

I think that encouraging people to emotionally release themselves from the value judgments of strangers on the internet is a pretty sympathetic and sensitive position...

I didn't say it wasn't. I don't think any of us are qualified to do that, though, and even if some of us are, this is certainly not the venue.

How can you not be qualified to provide encouragement?

reinforcement of destructive behavior often masquerades as encouragement.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I would like to suggest a substitution for "good" and "bad" foods. On a Sesame Street video my daughter has, they use the terms "sometimes food" and "anytime food." Those are the terms we use in our household. She is 7 years old and doesn't have an ED. Consequently, we can see that these are better than all other possible options. You're welcome.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't see that helping anything, its just going to be the same arguements with a different word inserted in it

"donuts are less ideal"
    "why is my donut less ideal, I needed more carbs"

so on, what not.......
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    sgthaggard wrote: »
    Newspeak. Food is either good or ungood, never bad.

But then there's the stuff that's plus ungood, or even double plus ungood. How do you think that food feels under this new categorization?
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    We do "sometimes" foods and "always" foods in our house. Seems to work. :)
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »

Can you just release yourself of the need to feel in any way impacted by someone else's value statements about food?

Because a value statement about a food that I eat is a value statement about my diet, even if that's not the intent of the person making the statement. I, personally, don't give a flying *kitten* because I'm gonna eat whatever I want and anyone who has something to say about it can kindly *kitten* right off, but for a lurker with an eating disorder, they don't need to be constantly reading that something they have successfully incorporated into their diet to aid in their recovery is "bad."

The idea that MFP is going to push someone back onto the ED train because someone said Oreos are "bad" is not evidence-based.

It may not be; I haven't looked. Being sensitive to others, especially on forums about food where we know there are people coping with disordered eating, isn't something I feel the need to scientifically support. I do know that food shame is often a major factor in triggering events for people with ED, and I can easily see how seeing a discussion that refers to food as being good or bad can lead to feelings of shame.

I think that encouraging people to emotionally release themselves from the value judgments of strangers on the internet is a pretty sympathetic and sensitive position...

I didn't say it wasn't. I don't think any of us are qualified to do that, though, and even if some of us are, this is certainly not the venue.

Perhaps, but that has no bearing on what I said or what he countered with. Generically, sure...but not in the context of the discussion we were having.
  • clipartghost
    clipartghost Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I suppose that's true, but it's not a given. Everyone I know I uses good and bad when talking about food. I don't know anyone with an eating disorder. Unless we are calling overeating a disorder.
    And as a contrast, I am very familiar with EDs, as I am a vegan athlete (both of these categories have higher rates of EDs). Nearly everyone with an ED I have known was harmed by the ideas of food restriction, good and bad foods, etc.

I don't know if obesity is considered a disorder in the same sense that anorexia is, and I'm not sure if I think it should be, but it's at least an unhealthy food relationship.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I think just changing the wording to something more specific would work much better. "In the context of the rest of your diet, [food1] would be a better choice than [food2]."

I like this. I also have no problem with more or less nutrient dense food. And, full disclosure, I don't mind junk food and would use it more happily than fun food (I hate the "fun size" terminology and can't shake the association, just me being weird). But I don't think of it literally and calling it "junk food" doesn't make me less likely to happily eat something. It is vague, though, in that there are numerous foods that I might consider junk food that others wouldn't and vice versa, so I get why it seems bothersome or unhelpful to people.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    tibby531 wrote: »
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    Good luck. :flowerforyou:

ETA: Also, apparently dirt food exists, and I'm an idiot for not knowing what the hell it means...

Isn't that like... dirt cake? You know, made out of oreos and pudding and gummy worms, etc?

OOH! I am in for dirt food, then!

*kitten*, I'd eat the *kitten* outta some dirt cake right now!

the-best-dirt-cake-marcies.jpg
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

Perhaps, but that has no bearing on what I said or what he countered with. Generically, sure...but not in the context of the discussion we were having.

In rereading your statement, you're right. I read encouragement as helping, and I think there's a distinction to be made there. There's nothing wrong with encouragement. The mere act of encouragement can come from anyone, I suppose, but if someone is that emotionally invested, they should probably be dealing with that in some way that involves help from someone trained to do so. It's a bit moot, though, isn't it? If you don't make the value judgement in the first place, there's no need to provide encouragement to overcome the feelings associated with that judgement.

Here, let me give you a papercut. Here's a band-aid to help you heal from the papercut.
  • _John_
    Options
    tibby531 wrote: »
    auddii wrote: »
    Good luck. :flowerforyou:

ETA: Also, apparently dirt food exists, and I'm an idiot for not knowing what the hell it means...

Isn't that like... dirt cake? You know, made out of oreos and pudding and gummy worms, etc?

OOH! I am in for dirt food, then!

*kitten*, I'd eat the *kitten* outta some dirt cake right now!

the-best-dirt-cake-marcies.jpg

ermagerhg...get in my bellie.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I suppose that's true, but it's not a given. Everyone I know I uses good and bad when talking about food. I don't know anyone with an eating disorder. Unless we are calling overeating a disorder.
    And as a contrast, I am very familiar with EDs, as I am a vegan athlete (both of these categories have higher rates of EDs). Nearly everyone with an ED I have known was harmed by the ideas of food restriction, good and bad foods, etc.

I don't know if obesity is considered a disorder in the same sense that anorexia is, and I'm not sure if I think it should be, but it's at least an unhealthy food relationship.

Oh man, if I could petition for word usage it would be to stop "food relationship".
  • _John_
    Options

Oh man, if I could petition for word usage it would be to stop "food relationship".

but it's so descriptive of the process...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

What process?
  • _John_
    Options

What process?
    deciding what to eat on a daily basis.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

What process?

Seems an odd choice of words.

re·la·tion·ship
    /rəˈlāSH(ə)nˌSHip/

noun
    noun: relationship; plural noun: relationships
    the way in which two or more concepts, objects, or people are connected, or the state of being connected.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

This also isn't a venue where those sensitive to getting "disordered" should be, either.

I'm not sure I agree with that, but the reality is that they are here and we know that.

I can't be responsible for that. If someone saying Oreos are "bad" or "unhealthy" is enough to cause people to fall off a metaphysical cliff, the primary responsibility lies with the person choosing to stand on the edge of that cliff.

I'm not trying to be harsh, but at some point people do need to take responsibility for the situations they choose to put themselves in.

And wandering the chat boards at MFP is definitely a choice.
  • _John_
    Options

What process?

re·la·tion·ship
    /rəˈlāSH(ə)nˌSHip/

noun
    the way in which two or more concepts, objects, or people are connected, or the state of being connected.
    you just did my rebuttal work for me...thanks.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

What process?

re·la·tion·ship
    /rəˈlāSH(ə)nˌSHip/

noun

I share a connection with my food. See my last post.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I would suggest talking about quality foods and what that means for the average person. In Italy there is a constant discussion at meals, in restaurants, on television,etc. about where food comes from, how it arrives to the consumer, etc. Quality is part of the culture and directly influences taste. There are constant programs going out to the farms and producers showing step by step how products arrive at markets and stores. The name brands are proud to show off their quality, and how it all begins. Many products have DOP or IGP on their labels, meaning that they are high quality, controlled from their origins. I haven't lived in the USA for almost 30 yrs now. Do you have this information available to consumers? I am always searching for the best quality I can afford. The bad vs good food debate goes round and round, let's discuss quality and taste once in a while--for a change. B)