Pet Peeves @ Gym l v

Options

Replies

• ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    Options
    RhineDHP wrote: »
    Pet peeves at the gym?

1. When people don't re-rack their weights.

2. When I'm wafting in a cloud of cologne/perfume.

3. When people don't wipe down their machines.

4. When these two guys (always the same two guys) plant themselves in a gap of space in the weight area and shout conversations at each other louder than my earbuds can block out.

Brings to mind a story -- though this isn't really a pet peeve, but rather curious -- about something that happened the other day.
    There's 3 stair climber machines at my gym, and I hopped on the only available one. To my right was a woman, and to her right was a man --both had been on them for a bit, before I got there. After I was done with my workout I hopped off to go grab a towel and spray, like 2 steps from the machines, to wipe down the machine. I turn around and saw that that girl hopped on the machine I was just on. Then she looked at me with a deadpan expression and shrugged. And I'm like....ok? Have fun with my sweat splayed all over the bars and console.

She must love the smell of your BO that much...she probably got turned on by it o.0 lmao
  • ScorpioJack_91
    edited March 2015
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »
    My pet peeves at the gym are people who ask me if I'm using a bench or spot I stopped using like 5-10 minutes ago even though they clearly saw me move to a new spot (though they probably might be thinking I'm doing interval training), people who try to talk to me when I'm on the treadmill, people who try to talk to me for unnecessary long periods of time (unless they're a friend or someone I find interesting, that's rare though), people who get in my way of me looking at the mirror to see if I'm doing a particular exercise right and people who try to take my spot even when there is my bottle AND a towel on the machine or bench to indicate to people that I'm still using it.

Other than that, I don't really give a damn what other people do in the gym or what they wear....I'm more worried about myself. And no I'm not really antisocial, an introvert or shy; I'm actually an ambivert, I'm just really concentrated in my workout and don't have time to worry about petty things.

You shouldn't be saving the spot to begin with. If you aren't using it, it is not yours.

He's not allowed to walk to the end of the rack to get heavier dumbbells? Or get a sip from the water fountain in the hallway?

Exactly on point. Lol I don't complain when I see someone's towel or bottle on a machine, I just wait. People need to think deeper into this because if I gotta go take a piss or go get heavier dumbbells, why should I give up my spot. No offense to her but it seems like people who are not that experienced with gym etiquette talk like that.
  • meljustcole
    meljustcole Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    ....this thread makes me glad I work out at home! LOL! Other people's rank butt sweat on benches, B.O. (Axe or funk), loud people on their phones hogging equipment, lazy people not putting weights away. Don't miss the gym atmosphere. I used to belong to a bootcamp style gym and had an encounter with a girl doing frog hops where a group of us were assigned to do army crawls. She basically had her Vajajay almost on top of my head and she proceeded to give me attitude and tell me I was in her way. I politely pointed out that she was the one in the wrong area, and she told me that she could be wherever she wanted to be because she was friends with the trainer/owner and was there every day and I only went once a week. Needless to say...It didn't end well and I no longer go. Not to mention it was 60$ a month for once a week!!! I now have a beautiful room in my basement that I love and don't have near head on collisions with someone's privates. :smiley:
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    lngrunert wrote: »
    MizzMaamI1 wrote: »
    I use to hold on too, so I don't know why I bugs me now?

Because it makes you feel superior to them that you don't have to anymore?

This^
  • lasarabande
    lasarabande Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Honestly I could care less about what other people do as long as they don't occupy my personal space at the gym.

And also, OP's profile picture is pretty hypocritical when starting a thread like this.
  • MizzMaamI1
    MizzMaamI1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Anybody else cringe when people hold the treadmill while walking/jogging and or on incline?

Yep. I totally do this. Sorry I'm not as fit as you. You must be so awesome, which is...you know...just really, really cool.

I'm far from fit, but hopefully one day!

And I don't think anyone is really understanding what I'm trying to say and it's coming off wrong. I didn't say there's anything wrong with holding the bars. It just bothers me, like a weird tick? I wouldnt say OCD... That probably doesn't make any more sense.

I do apologize if it's offended anyone, absolutely nothing wrong with it.
  • MizzMaamI1
    MizzMaamI1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Why do some peoples post look like jail cells?
  • Tzinn1992
    Tzinn1992 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I understand you are at the gym to work out and sweat but some people it wouldn't kill them to apply deodorant, and I also hate when Im sprinting 6 miles killing myself and someone tries to have a conversation with me!
  • ScorpioJack_91
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    My pet peeves at the gym are people who ask me if I'm using a bench or spot I stopped using like 5-10 minutes ago even though they clearly saw me move to a new spot (though they probably might be thinking I'm doing interval training), people who try to talk to me when I'm on the treadmill, people who try to talk to me for unnecessary long periods of time (unless they're a friend or someone I find interesting, that's rare though), people who get in my way of me looking at the mirror to see if I'm doing a particular exercise right and people who try to take my spot even when there is my bottle AND a towel on the machine or bench to indicate to people that I'm still using it.

Other than that, I don't really give a damn what other people do in the gym or what they wear....I'm more worried about myself. And no I'm not really antisocial, an introvert or shy; I'm actually an ambivert, I'm just really concentrated in my workout and don't have time to worry about petty things.

You shouldn't be saving the spot to begin with. If you aren't using it, it is not yours.

He's not allowed to walk to the end of the rack to get heavier dumbbells? Or get a sip from the water fountain in the hallway?

Not if it takes more than 60 seconds.

There's a time limit on how long we can get different weights and use the bathroom? I didn't know that.

She's just being ignorant lol. So I gotta piss in under a minute or I will lose my spot?.......lmfao dat logic tho!?!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Not racking weights
    Dragging benches across the room and not replacing them
    Curling in the squat rack

Beyond that, not really any peeves as long as you don't cause problems. I am a people watcher though (not just at the gym) and sometimes I just watch in total bewilderment.

Had a guy ask how long I was gonna be in the squat rack today. I had just finished my last set so I told him I was done.
    He then drags the flat bench over and starts bench pressing off the safety rack. The bench press is right next to the squat rack. No idea why he was doing this. Oh well, just put the bench back when you're done and move if someone wants to squat.

Oh, but it did bug me when another dude dragged a bench up to the dumbbell rack and started doing dumbbell presses right there where people couldn't get to all the weights.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Anybody else cringe when people hold the treadmill while walking/jogging and or on incline?

No, why would I? How another performs on the treadmill or any other machine is their business. Besides, I'm there to workout and to focus on my won behavior, not to focus on others. :)

Why does it make you cringe?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Nope, because it's not my business what other people choose to do. They are in charge of their health, not me.

The only time i get mad is when people "hold" equipment that others are waiting to use and they aren't actually using it.
    I.E. they set their bag on the machine and walked away, they aren't performing any exercise and are chatting, they are texting/surfing the web on their phone. In these scenarios i just kindly ask them if i can jump in really quick.

Some people on their phones are resting between sets on weight machines. It's okay to ask to work in, though. They might or might not let you depending on how long their rest period is.

I agree that holding a treadmill is rude.

Holding a treadmill is rude? To whom? The treadmill?

It was build to handle it, I assure you. Does it actually offend you that someone who many not be as strong or as fit needs to lean on the handles for a while? That's kind of sad.

No! I meant saving it with putting a duffel bag on it! Not holding onto it.

Why? If I get a treadmill I have to go to the bathroom, I'll put my bag on the treadmill and go. There is nothing wrong with that at all.

Now, if they don't come back for ten minutes or more, then it's fair to just remove their stuff, or tell a staff member they left their stuff and have not come back, and then just use the treadmill.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options

LOL people do it all the time and I don't complain...so you're telling me if I gotta use the bathroom and I'll be back in two minutes and I'm still not done with my exercise, I should relinquish my spot over to someone?.....LOL gtfo. That would be fine if I was just texting and someone wanted to get in on a workout with me but if I gotta use the bathroom and I'm not done with my exercise....nope.

Yes, I am telling you that. Other people need to finish their workouts too. Some of us are in a hurry. Your time is not any more valuable than someone else's.

Thanks for making the rest of us pick up your dirty towel when we need to use the space that you are hold up. If you were in my gym, you would come back to find your water bottle and towel in the garbage. I'd probably turn you in to the front desk too as any kind of supersetting is against the rules if anyone is waiting.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Yep. I totally do this. Sorry I'm not as fit as you. You must be so awesome, which is...you know...just really, really cool.

I'm far from fit, but hopefully one day!

And I don't think anyone is really understanding what I'm trying to say and it's coming off wrong. I didn't say there's anything wrong with holding the bars. It just bothers me, like a weird tick? I wouldnt say OCD... That probably doesn't make any more sense.

I do apologize if it's offended anyone, absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Actually I think I do understand what you are saying. They are doing something that is "wrong" and it bothers you when you notice it. It happens to me too, to notice people around me do things that make no sense at the gym. It does not "bother" me, as in I will not really consciously spend time thinking about it, will not talk to them, stare at them etc, but I definitely subconsciously have a mental "WTF" if someone is doing something like this right in front of me.
  • ScorpioJack_91
    edited March 2015
    Options

LOL people do it all the time and I don't complain...so you're telling me if I gotta use the bathroom and I'll be back in two minutes and I'm still not done with my exercise, I should relinquish my spot over to someone?.....LOL gtfo. That would be fine if I was just texting and someone wanted to get in on a workout with me but if I gotta use the bathroom and I'm not done with my exercise....nope.

Yes, I am telling you that. Other people need to finish their workouts too. Some of us are in a hurry. Your time is not any more valuable than someone else's.

Thanks for making the rest of us pick up your dirty towel when we need to use the space that you are hold up. If you were in my gym, you would come back to find your water bottle and towel in the garbage. I'd probably turn you in to the front desk too as any kind of supersetting is against the rules if anyone is waiting.

How about nope...I'll do what I want as other people have did the same thing I have (putting their stuff on a machine as an indicator of them still using it) and I don't complain and cry about it. If you want to use the machine I'm on, just ask and I'll gladly let you use it along with me. Don't be rude and touch my stuff if you're not allowed to. Sorry but nope. Go to Planet Fitness then (which I don't go to btw judging by your previous comment.....LOL). Not my problem. Maybe I'm just too hardcore for people like you as it seems like older people just *kitten* about this issue the most.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Okay, now you're just trolling us. Because no one in the free weight section of the gym can be this ignorant.

Lol@turning me into the front desk. PUHLEEZE do this

• stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    _QueenE_ wrote: »
    Same people on here talking about judging are probably in other threads sharing their pet peeves.

I'm much too busy hitting on random women that just got to the site to have time for sharing pet peeves

:o lmao, I like what you did there!
  • debrag12
    debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Mine is a treadmill that you can't pause! yep my gym has treadmills only in km, don't show pace, and doesn't sync to my HRM. At first I was like 'what?' but now I can run for over 30 mins it doesn't bother me.

Another is a gym with no water fountain. I drink so much water while I run I need to refill my bottle. When I was new to running I'd run a mile, pause and refill. My last gym didn't have them so I left lol

I do wonder when leg day happens at my gym though lol

Oh people who just have to use the cross trainer/treadmill next to me when there are about 5 others free. The one who has to then clear his nose every 5 seconds (sorry that noise goes right through me). We have 5 treadmills at my gym I was just finishing my workout (no-one else on a treadmill) and a guy went on one two treadmills away from me, then moved next to me then took mine as soon as I'd gotten off, all in less than 30 seconds. Clearly I had been so good with my workout that he thought he could do the same but have to use the same one ;)