Pet Peeves @ Gym l v

Options

Replies

• Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Somebody tell this fool to get his hands off the rails:

Dude is clearly not burning enough calories.

No lie, though, videos of people dancing on the treadmill give me life. I think they're awesome. If I could (a) dance and (b) use a treadmill without getting vertigo I would totally do the same thing.
  • ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    Options
    I said it annoyed me - NOT DISTURBED me - to watch people on the treadmill and holding onto the front bars. What is wrong with you for taking that so out of context? Annoyed and completely bothered are two entirely different things. I don't CARE if they hold onto the bars, I just don't understand why not, which annoys me. However, it does NOT make me homicidal. You people really need to lighten up. Maybe reducing your calories has put you in a really bad state of mind.

If it annoys you so much, go to the hippie gym known as Planet Fitness where they probably have rules about holding onto the bars of the treadmill. :)
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    When the gym supervisor for the cardio room brings in their dinner (usually McDonald's)

YOURE MAKING ME HUNGRYYYY
  • BraveNewdGirl
    BraveNewdGirl Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    If it annoys you so much, go to the hippie gym known as Planet Fitness where they probably have rules about holding onto the bars of the treadmill. :)
    Oh *kitten*, he said the 'H' word. It's about to go down!

• ScorpioJack_91
    ScorpioJack_91 Posts: 5,241 Member
    Options

LOLOLOLOL!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Had a guy ask how long I was gonna be in the squat rack today. I had just finished my last set so I told him I was done.
    He then drags the flat bench over and starts bench pressing off the safety rack. The bench press is right next to the squat rack. No idea why he was doing this.

Does your bench press setup have safeties? He might have been doing max-effort lifts. Everyone at my gym benches in the power racks because the bench press setup doesn't have safeties so you can't safely bench close to your 1RM without a spotter.

I judge people who get to the good C2 rower before I do and leave me with the crappy one where you have to stop rowing every two minutes to tighten the foot straps. I judge those people hard. I'm pretty sure they're judging me right back when I get to the good machine first.

That's the weird thing. Not only does our bench have safeties, but he was definitely not trying to max out. He was doing pretty low intensity lifts (judging by his exertion level and reps, not just amount of weight since weight intensity is relative for everybody).
    Again, it didn't bother me. It just struck me odd.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    Probably the only thin tht bothers me other than indirection/Taylor swift generic pop music blaring away is the people who are clearly drenched in sweat but don't wipe down or towel down a machine after use.

So you go to use it and there is the outline of them still there.

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Merkavar wrote: »
    Probably the only thin tht bothers me other than indirection/Taylor swift generic pop music blaring away is the people who are clearly drenched in sweat but don't wipe down or towel down a machine after use.

So you go to use it and there is the outline of them still there.

Oh yeah, the butt sweat outline. Nice.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    Somebody tell this fool to get his hands off the rails:

This is so freaking cool! I would love to be able to do this however I know it would end in a need for the paramedics... I'm just not coordinated enough to pull this off.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    After reading all the way through this, I'm gonna add two to my list. One that I've actually encountered at the gym and one that some have confessed to here:

Setting up portable speakers so you can blast your own music instead of wearing headphones. I'm already using my earbuds to listen to my own music instead of whatever's playing on the intercom (or whatever you want to call the in house system). I don't need you blasting your music so loud that I hear it over what's playing directly into my ears. If you want to listen to your own music that's cool, just do it with headphones for the sake of others around you.
    Granted, this only happens when I work out late when the staff isn't there.

Also, touching other people's stuff. Unless it's obvious that something's been forgotten or left behind, don't touch it. Setting a bag aside when the owner is busy elsewhere is one thing and turning something in to the desk is understandable...but pulling stuff out of a locker??? That's ridiculous. You're infringing on their privacy and their property. Them not having a lock doesn't take away their right to store their belongings safely.
    And throwing away their stuff??? I don't care how long it's been there, where they've been or how badly you want to use that machine. That's theft. You may not have taken it home and kept it for yourself but you still stole it to throw it away. I don't care who you think you are, you are not so high and mighty that you have a right to trash another person's belongings no matter which of your made up rules you think they've violated.
    If someone is saving the machine you want to use and that annoys you, fine, be annoyed. But then get over it. And then get over yourself because, again, you are not so important that you have the right to impose your own rules on others. Nor are you so special that your desire to use a machine trumps my right to have my own personal property respected.

Sorry for the rant but wow...I'm just blown away that people are openly admitting and defending this stuff!! Most of the thread is debating whether or not it's annoying when people hold the bars on the treadmill; meanwhile, others are proud to admit they empty lockers or would throw people's stuff away for spending too long on the pot.
    This is unbelievable.
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    If people have made it to the gym, they are terrific. If they are working out, they are terrific. If they are working out while holding on to railings, they are terrific. If they moving really slowly, they are terrific. People working out are terrific.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    In light of the fact that a poster thinks 60 seconds is a reasonable amount of time to go to the bathroom and get back to your bike: My #1 pet peeve, in all life situations, is people who use the restroom and do not wash their hands. Please, take 10 minutes if you need to do so.

Unless the person is on the bike for a couple hours or has a bladder problem what is wrong with using the bathroom before or after using the bike instead of taking a random break and expecting the bike to be "held" for them?

See and now we're back to the ableist handrail argument--how do you tell if someone has a bladder problem? I certainly do not want to ask. Especially since they might answer in hideously illustrated detail.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    In light of the fact that a poster thinks 60 seconds is a reasonable amount of time to go to the bathroom and get back to your bike: My #1 pet peeve, in all life situations, is people who use the restroom and do not wash their hands. Please, take 10 minutes if you need to do so.

Unless the person is on the bike for a couple hours or has a bladder problem what is wrong with using the bathroom before or after using the bike instead of taking a random break and expecting the bike to be "held" for them?

See and now we're back to the ableist handrail argument--how do you tell if someone has a bladder problem? I certainly do not want to ask. Especially since they might answer in hideously illustrated detail.

Personally I love the new thou shalt potty only once per hour rule. I suppose if someone steals a machine like this and moves the previous owner's stuff out of the way, they shouldn't be surprised if their earphones get yanked out of their ears and they get asked WTF is going on. It's fair to go around touching people's stuff because they've infringed on what you believe to be yours, right?

• WitchofWashington
    WitchofWashington Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    When the gym supervisor for the cardio room brings in their dinner (usually McDonald's)

Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

Gross. Who eats crap like that if they are at or going to the gym. Ew.
  • barbecuesauce
    Options

Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

People who have figured out exactly how they can fit a Double Down into their day? Or cardio bunnies willing to sweat 600 calories out?
  • barbecuesauce
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Personally I love the new thou shalt potty only once per hour rule. I suppose if someone steals a machine like this and moves the previous owner's stuff out of the way, they shouldn't be surprised if their earphones get yanked out of their ears and they get asked WTF is going on. It's fair to go around touching people's stuff because they've infringed on what you believe to be yours, right?

I love this new rule can't wait to wipe pee off machines
  • WitchofWashington
    WitchofWashington Posts: 158 Member
    Options

Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

People who have figured out exactly how they can fit a Double Down into their day? Or cardio bunnies willing to sweat 600 calories out?

That stuff is gross and I don't think it's even real food. I don't see how those fatty maybe not even foods could help you do a double down or sweat out 600 calories? Not to mention, have you see what it does almost immediately to your blood, so gross.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    The people who consistely do cheat reps. Wouldn't call it a pet peeve or even that I find it annoying because it doesn't really affect me but more so puzzling. Why bother going to the gym to workout if you're going to use your whole body or momentum to cheat on your lifts (and not just the last one or two at the end of the set but every rep of every set). It's mostly things like bicep curls and lat pull down and various other isolation lifts. The idea is to get stronger/gain muscle not to pretend you're stronger than you are.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options

The H word, he said the P F words. Look out!