Pet Peeves @ Gym l v

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    I'm also not sorry to say that I do judge people at the gym (well not just at the gym). After all I have nothing better to do in-between sets haha.

"As sentient meat, however illusory our identities are, we craft those identities by making value judgements. Everybody judges all the time. Now, you got a problem with that, you're living wrong." Rust (Matthew McConaughey) from True Detective
  • Dustinryan24
    Dustinryan24 Posts: 233 Member
    Why are people attacking each other so much? She asked a simple question. Yes I have several gym pet peeves. Who doesn't?
  • WitchofWashington
    WitchofWashington Posts: 158 Member
    MrM27 wrote: »
    When the gym supervisor for the cardio room brings in their dinner (usually McDonald's)

YOURE MAKING ME HUNGRYYYY
    Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

Gross. Who eats crap like that if they are at or going to the gym. Ew.

I do. Because I can.
    When the gym supervisor for the cardio room brings in their dinner (usually McDonald's)

Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

People who have figured out exactly how they can fit a Double Down into their day? Or cardio bunnies willing to sweat 600 calories out?

That stuff is gross and I don't think it's even real food. I don't see how those fatty maybe not even foods could help you do a double down or sweat out 600 calories? Not to mention, have you see what it does almost immediately to your blood, so gross.

What does it do to our blood? And I've never had a double down

Hight fat food straight to your bloodstream
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    After reading all the way through this, I'm gonna add two to my list. One that I've actually encountered at the gym and one that some have confessed to here:

Setting up portable speakers so you can blast your own music instead of wearing headphones. I'm already using my earbuds to listen to my own music instead of whatever's playing on the intercom (or whatever you want to call the in house system). I don't need you blasting your music so loud that I hear it over what's playing directly into my ears. If you want to listen to your own music that's cool, just do it with headphones for the sake of others around you.
    Granted, this only happens when I work out late when the staff isn't there.

Also, touching other people's stuff. Unless it's obvious that something's been forgotten or left behind, don't touch it. Setting a bag aside when the owner is busy elsewhere is one thing and turning something in to the desk is understandable...but pulling stuff out of a locker??? That's ridiculous. You're infringing on their privacy and their property. Them not having a lock doesn't take away their right to store their belongings safely.
    And throwing away their stuff??? I don't care how long it's been there, where they've been or how badly you want to use that machine. That's theft. You may not have taken it home and kept it for yourself but you still stole it to throw it away. I don't care who you think you are, you are not so high and mighty that you have a right to trash another person's belongings no matter which of your made up rules you think they've violated.
    If someone is saving the machine you want to use and that annoys you, fine, be annoyed. But then get over it. And then get over yourself because, again, you are not so important that you have the right to impose your own rules on others. Nor are you so special that your desire to use a machine trumps my right to have my own personal property respected.

Sorry for the rant but wow...I'm just blown away that people are openly admitting and defending this stuff!! Most of the thread is debating whether or not it's annoying when people hold the bars on the treadmill; meanwhile, others are proud to admit they empty lockers or would throw people's stuff away for spending too long on the pot.
    This is unbelievable.

My jaw is hanging down ... setting up their own speakers...what the actual what?!?!?!?!?! I'm getting a headache just imagining it.

I totally agree with you about people touching other people's stuff w/r/t the locker incident. Super sketchy.

• PeachyCarol

Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

People who have figured out exactly how they can fit a Double Down into their day? Or cardio bunnies willing to sweat 600 calories out?

Just a mini confession here. I'm not a cardio "bunny"... but I LIKE walking. I just like it. I also like strength training. I find both enjoyable. I don't like the term because ... why can't we all get along?

• PeachyCarol

Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

I do. Because I can.

Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

That stuff is gross and I don't think it's even real food. I don't see how those fatty maybe not even foods could help you do a double down or sweat out 600 calories? Not to mention, have you see what it does almost immediately to your blood, so gross.

Sorry but that is no way a reputable source.

Got any that isn't a blog?

Also, that video doesn't even support your argument. Sorry.

(We need a bigger picture of Leo now that we can see him.)
  • MelissaH0910
    MelissaH0910 Posts: 67 Member

[/quote]I'm curious to know how many of you people saying you'd throw away people's belonging or remove their stuff of a machine if they took to long in the bathroom actually would in real life. How many would be brave enough to touch someone's things not knowing what frame of mind that person is in and if they would confront you for it. I'm sensing a lot of this is just e-talk.[/quote]

I wonder how many of them would have a meltdown if the shoe was on the other foot & someone else moved their stuff from a machine or threw their belongings away. Quite a few, I'd bet.

• jouttie
    jouttie Posts: 109 Member
    Well I live in Germany and people are erm... not particularly well-known for their friendliness. I go spinning sometimes, and hardly anyone acknowledges you when you walk into the room which, despite having lived here for a century or two, I still cannot get used to. After an hour's spinning and sweating alongside each other and not talking to each other, you go into the shower. Now, after taking a shower, these people you haven't spoken to will GLADLY do without the towel and lie NAKED - men and women - on loungers with EVERYTHING hanging out. Not as much as a fig leaf between them. So they are not willing to say Hi! or exchange first names, but assume you want to see their erm... bits and pieces? Call me an English prude if you want... I sit there in my towel and avert my eyes.
    There is worse but... no, I won't go there...
  • Delilahhhhhh
    Delilahhhhhh Posts: 477 Member

Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

I do. Because I can.

Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

Sorry but that is no way a reputable source.

Got any that isn't a blog?

Also, that video doesn't even support your argument. Sorry.

(We need a bigger picture of Leo now that we can see him.)
    I'm in for larger pictures of Leo. ah bless bless
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    jouttie wrote: »
    Well I live in Germany and people are erm... not particularly well-known for their friendliness. I go spinning sometimes, and hardly anyone acknowledges you when you walk into the room which, despite having lived here for a century or two, I still cannot get used to. After an hour's spinning and sweating alongside each other and not talking to each other, you go into the shower. Now, after taking a shower, these people you haven't spoken to will GLADLY do without the towel and lie NAKED - men and women - on loungers with EVERYTHING hanging out. Not as much as a fig leaf between them. So they are not willing to say Hi! or exchange first names, but assume you want to see their erm... bits and pieces? Call me an English prude if you want... I sit there in my towel and avert my eyes.
    There is worse but... no, I won't go there...

Yeah, I read something about that in history class. (Joke!)

• oceangirl37
    oceangirl37 Posts: 37 Member
    MizzMaamI1 wrote: »
    Anybody else cringe when people hold the treadmill while walking/jogging and or on incline?

Not really. I have slight balance problems and I would definitely have to hold onto the side of a treadmil if I were so inclined to use one. Is this something that people really notice and cringe about? These threads make me cringe because there are posters on here who are thinking of joining a gym and then read something like this and just think, nope. So to all you people who want to join a gym or are thinking about it, most people aren't noticing things like this and most people who are at the gym are there to work out.

• noaddedsugarx
    noaddedsugarx Posts: 169 Member
    I don't judge anyone for it but I do wonder what the point is in putting the treadmill on an incline to just hold on to it. Like when people are on the steppers and put all their weight on the side
    I cringe at the men with big muscles strutting around in tiny little vests and shorts who clearly love themselves.
    When people don't wipe down the machines..
    I was in a Zumba class the other day and there was LOADS of space and a woman came into the class late and stood right next to me so I was practically bumping into her. That annoyed me.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member

Sorry for that.

Not McDonald's but KFC

this may be the most ignorant statement in this thread….
  • PeachyCarol
    I don't judge anyone for it but I do wonder what the point is in putting the treadmill on an incline to just hold on to it. Like when people are on the steppers and put all their weight on the side
    I cringe at the men with big muscles strutting around in tiny little vests and shorts who clearly love themselves.
    I was in a Zumba class the other day and there was LOADS of space and a woman came into the class late and stood right next to me so I was practically bumping into her. That annoyed me.

The point is that there is still benefit to it for them, but the larger point is that it really isn't an issue that is your concern. It's their workout, how they do it has zero effect on you.

This is why I don't get why any of this annoys, makes someone cringe, or even causes anyone to wonder.... it has zero effect on you personally. Why is it even a thing? The denial that you are, in fact, judging, is just silly.

• noaddedsugarx
    noaddedsugarx Posts: 169 Member

The point is that there is still benefit to it for them, but the larger point is that it really isn't an issue that is your concern. It's their workout, how they do it has zero effect on you.

This is why I don't get why any of this annoys, makes someone cringe, or even causes anyone to wonder.... it has zero effect on you personally. Why is it even a thing? The denial that you are, in fact, judging, is just silly.

Yeah but turning the incline right up then holding on for dear life defeats the point of the incline in the first place. I know it has no effect on me but just because I'm curious about why someone would do this doesn't mean I'm in the wrong or being judgy about it.
  • Sbivens2383
    Sbivens2383 Posts: 199 Member

Yeah but turning the incline right up then holding on for dear life defeats the point of the incline in the first place. I know it has no effect on me but just because I'm curious about why someone would do this doesn't mean I'm in the wrong or being judgy about it.

I will usually do different intervals on the treadmill and one of them is a brisk walk at an incline of 11. Trust me I would love to not hang on for dear life, but physically I can't do that yet. And it's not really taking that much away from me because my legs still feel the burn afterwards.
  • mburgess458
    mburgess458 Posts: 480 Member
    I have a couple....the guys who obviously don't brush their teeth prior to going to the gym in the morning. I have had to change treadmills because the stench coming from their mouths made me want to vomit. I felt like I couldn't breathe. Then later in the locker room I'd see them brushing their teeth and/or using mouthwash. I don't understand how they don't know they are stinking up the place when they are huffing and puffing during a workout.

The old guy (60's) who uses the community hair dryer to blow dry his nether region. First, no one wants to see you with your foot up on the sink while you dry your privates. Second, it's a blow dryer the gym provides for everyone to use and no one wants to dry the hair on their head with the same thing you were just waiving around an inch from your privates.

And finally, the friendly guy who comes over and starts talking to me in the middle of a set. Not between sets, in the middle. It is annoying and a little dangerous because losing concentration while holding heavy weights isn't a good thing.
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Bad gym etiquette...

-Not wiping down equipment after use (I SAW you sweating like a dog on that treadmill for 45 minutes, and you're not going to wipe your butt sweat off the chest/leg press you just used? Gross)
    -People that talk on the phones when they're in the gym... My gym has a no talking on your phone rule, but they never enforce it... It's just a major distraction to others. I understand picking up to say "hey, I'm at the gym. Call you when I'm done", but nobody ever does that.
    -People taking other people's stuff out of a locker... Locked or unlocked it doesn't matter... I'm not going to take my bag of clothes to change into onto the floor just because I don't have a lock... And I would expect nobody would move it, just like I wouldn't move anyone else's stuff!

And I'm one of those people who holds onto the railing... Often I bump my speed up to 4.5 when I walk, and I don't walk that fast outside, so the rails just help so I don't break my face... But when I jog on it, no rails. And I walk straighter when holding the rails...

I don't pay attention to how people get their workouts done, but when I see someone putting in hard work, no matter how they do it, I feel happy for them (like there's an older woman at my gym, always walks at a 1.5-2.0mi/hr pace, but she'll be on the treadmill for the long time, and huffs and puffs her way through it, and I feel happy for her, because she's getting out there and doing it... It doesn't matter if she needs to hold onto something to get it done-she's exercising and that's what's important!)