Help! I hate the treadmill!

Options

Replies

• kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I do a little of both. I enjoy jogging outside, can't stand the treadmill! And it does strengthen my legs a lot. But lifting will help the weight loss too. As your muscles build up they will utilize more energy for longer so that will help you as well. Strength training is also very important for women because it helps keep us strong into our older years.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    urloved33 wrote: »
    Cardio is the key to weight loss. How about a tv in front of the treatdmill. Jogging or powerwalking outside...how about that. Lifting does not induce weight loss.

How can someone who's been on these forums for long enough to make 622 posts believe something like this?

Because all of her posts have been in the last week.

She's not new. She changed her name and her profile picture. Her old name is on the profile picture.

I know she changed her name.
    I only started noticing her last week, prior to the name change.
    Hard to miss the ridiculousness from her....
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    While it's hard to pinpoint just how long this effect (of aerobic exercise) lasts (it varies depending on body composition and level of training), "it’s safe to say metabolic rate can be elevated with aerobic exercise for at least 24 hours," says Wharton.

If you want to prolong this calorie-burning effect, Wharton advises exercising for longer periods.

"Studies have shown that with increases in exercise time, the elevation in resting metabolic rate is prolonged," he says.

2. Do Strength Training to Build MuscleWhen you exercise, you use muscle.

This still has nothing to do with your original post...

That's pretty much how all her posts go.
  • ericaeast92
    ericaeast92 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Run/walk/bicycle/rollerskate outside
    Jump rope
    Any kind of jumping/plyometrics/burpees/mountain climbers
    Do sprint intervals on the treadmill, really helps break up the monotony.
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    kaotik26 wrote: »
    Strength training is also very important for women because it helps keep us strong into our older years.

this is very true. any weight-bearing exercises are great for women. walking on a hard surface (concrete, etc.) is great for keeping bones strong. lifting weights also helps prevent osteoporosis as we age. :smile:

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Lot's of in home cardio options. Find something you like or at least tolerate. I liked the treadmill for awhile....now I hate it. Then I started doing Leslie Sansone Walking DVDs. These are more interesting (but still not choreography...yeah). You walk for awhile, do knee lifts for awhile....just keep changing the moves. You might like kickboxing, or dance, or rebounding....just keep trying new things.

YouTube is great for test driving new things...to see what you can find

These are free.....
    www.jessicasmithtv.com

If you want to buy DVDs check out collagevideo.com and totalfitnessdvds.com
    You can watch video clips and most DVDs have at least a few reviews.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Cardio is the key to weight loss. How about a tv in front of the treatdmill. Jogging or powerwalking outside...how about that. Lifting does not induce weight loss.

How can someone who's been on these forums for long enough to make 622 posts believe something like this?

She's not new. She changed her name and her profile picture. Her old name is on the profile picture.

She used to haunt more of the good food/bad food threads with clean eating talk.

• Emilia777
    Emilia777 Posts: 978 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Strength training is awesome and can be very effective - like (almost) everyone else said.

If you want some form of cardio to do at home (not because it’s necessary but because you want to burn more calories), maybe look into power yoga and kickboxing exercise videos or skipping rope. Power yoga isn’t super intense, but it can be a great workout and very good for stretching. I like Bryan Kest’s Power Yoga routine, which comes in three levels (energize, tone, sweat) and is available on Youtube. Kickboxing can be a lot more intense (i.e. lots of sweating and being out of breath). I like Billy Blank’s Tae Bo routines, and some of his stuff is also available on Youtube. Skipping rope is a fantastic workout and there are many programs for it on YouTube (I don’t really have a favourite).

As for the treadmill, it can be really boring. I personally prefer going for a run outside. A brisk walk works too. Some people on here suggested listening to audio books while doing so, which I think is an awesome idea.

Good luck, and I’m sure you’ll find something that works for you.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options

She used to haunt more of the good food/bad food threads with clean eating talk.

I avoid those. They annoy me
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Just don't leave the treadmill to urinate and leave your towel to indicate you aren't done using it. No gym owner would stand for that gross violation of gym rulez.

Mwhahaha!

I personally like the treadmill. I tend to do 4MPH at a 8-11% incline for 25-30 minutes every other day. I put my phone on the machine and switch on something from YT. Time kind of flies by from the distraction. I hate rowing because there is nowhere to put my phone to be able to watch it and it isn't as mindless as the treadmill because you have to pay attention to form. But I do 15km a week of rowing because I can't argue with results. I've lost several inches from chest, stomach, and hips since I started a month ago without really any significant change in weight.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    What's the issue here?

Eat at a calorie deficit. Some people use cardio to achieve that. Some utilize diet alone. Weight lifting is very beneficial.

There are plenty of ways to skin the cat..........

alf.jpg
  • Sbivens2383
    Sbivens2383 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Exercise to Burn CaloriesChristopher Wharton, PhD, a certified personal trainer and researcher with the Rudd Center for Food Policy and Obesity at Yale University, put it simply: "The more time spent exercising and the more vigorous the exercise, the more calories will be burned."

Indeed, obesity expert George Bray, MD, with the Pennington Biomedical Research Center in Baton Rouge, La., believes that taking a brisk walk every day is probably the single most important piece of advice for anyone wanting to burn more calories.

You can't out-exercise a bad diet

You do not know what you think you know

I completely agree that you cannot out-exercise a bad diet. About a year ago I attempted to lose weight by exercising a ton (6 days a week) but I still allowed my self to eat whatever I wanted. I did lose about 20 lbs but it took me over 3 months and once I stopped exercising I gained it back plus some.

I took a different approach about 5 weeks ago. I cleaned up my eating habits and I still work out about 5 days a week, but I am already down 13lbs. While exercising certainly doesn't hurt, 90% of it is what you eat.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options

:joy::joy::joy:

wut
  • UppityWoman66
    Options
    Try something called "guerilla cardio workouts") (or maybe it's gorilla). This is where you revv up your cardio sessions. Basically: warm up for 5 minutes, then for the next 10 minute period you do 1 min of medium-exertion then 1 minute of all-out running, then the min of medium, etc for the 10 minute period. Then cool down. Look it up on the web. That might help and it keeps you from getting bored. : )
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I go on On Demand and find cardio workouts. I do mostly the walking workouts, where you do various types of walking in place along with arm motions. They go pretty fast and are quite a workout.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 15 to 20 pounds but I hate the treadmill!! I do not have a gym membership and do all of my workouts at home. I love to do strength training workouts but have heard that this will not help me lose the weight. Does anyone have any other suggestions for cardio workouts that can be done at home? Or had any experience with strength training and how it affects weight loss?

I see the lifting only zealots are out in force...

If you don't like using the dreadmill then don't use it. I'd agree, it's incredibly boring so I'd suggest going outside and running in the real.

As far as weight loss is concerned:
    • Calorie deficit to manage your rate of weight loss
    • Cardiovascular exercise to improve stamina and CV health. Also allows you more volume of food to more easily manage your deficit without being too tightly constrained
    • Resistance training to help retain lean mass and strength.

The three aspects are complementary, but without managing your deficit the other two aren't going to help you lose weight.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

wrong-gif.gif
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Try treadmilling like these guys and you might have fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTAAsCNK7RA
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I need to lose 15 to 20 pounds but I hate the treadmill!! I do not have a gym membership and do all of my workouts at home. I love to do strength training workouts but have heard that this will not help me lose the weight. Does anyone have any other suggestions for cardio workouts that can be done at home? Or had any experience with strength training and how it affects weight loss?

I see the lifting only zealots are out in force...

If you don't like using the dreadmill then don't use it. I'd agree, it's incredibly boring so I'd suggest going outside and running in the real.

As far as weight loss is concerned:
    • Calorie deficit to manage your rate of weight loss
    • Cardiovascular exercise to improve stamina and CV health. Also allows you more volume of food to more easily manage your deficit without being too tightly constrained
    • Resistance training to help retain lean mass and strength.

The three aspects are complementary, but without managing your deficit the other two aren't going to help you lose weight.

Where would that be? It seems everyone in this thread is saying the same thing you just said.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »

This is wrong. Cardio does nothing for weight loss, it just allows you to eat more and lose the same as you could with diet alone.

Strength training will help ensure that a larger % of your weight loss comes from fat, instead of fat and lean muscle.

Complete rubbish to say it does nothing. Cardio does burn calories and that helps you lose more, all things being equal. The actual effect it has depends upon duration and intensity.

The weight loss depends on calorific deficit from whatever source.

OP read up and you will see you are misinformed, but common sense says if you hate it then why do it, but go and find an alternative form of exercise that you enjoy and can do consistently, from walking to swimming, yoga etc. Anything that gets you moving and burns calories. If you join a gym and want to maximise weight loss, then do both cardio and resistance becayse they complement each other and have different benefits.

urloved33 assume thats a troll or yr wonger than a very wrong thing.

OP there are plenty of workouts on youtube or try fitnessblender.com.

Actually 100% true... if you burn 400 cals on the treadmill and eat 1800 calories would be the same as eating 1400 and not stepping one foot on the treadmill. It is the deficit that matters. In this example, like I stated earlier, cardio allows you to eat more (400 cals in this case) and lose the same amount of weight you could by diet alone (1400 cal diet above) as 1800-400 = 1400-0.