Pushy Co-Workers

Options
Looking for some help to handle a bit of a sticky situation.

Our work is ordering in for a mandatory "celebration lunch" (yes, attendance is mandatory, don't ask) for all of the employees in our location. We're all expected to put in our order to the chain restaurant they've chosen.

But I'd rather bring my own lunch and use the calories for better food that I actually enjoy and that doesn't make me feel ill.

When I told my boss this I was told to "just get a salad."

How do I get out of this without causing awkward friction without my employer?

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Unless you have an allergy, I would get the salad, or find something on the menu, like salmon no sauce, steamed veg on side
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Get a side salad with dressing on the side. Or, since it's already in a go box, take it home for someone else.

I'm one of those that orders a salad with no bacon, no cheese, dressing on the side, any nuts/dried fruits on the side...etc since somehow restaurants get their salads to epic calorie numbers lol. I've had to deal with a boss insisting too.
  • fish2find
    fish2find Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    My 1st thought was just eat the salad, way less stressful than 100 what ifs later. That said if the food makes you sick your doc can put that on a note and your clear. We frequently have celebrations at my work and I just strip down the food to what I can have and toss the trash part.
  • bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I get that I can order a salad, but I don't see why I should have to get a boring salad when I could just eat my own delicious lunch. I mean, there's nothing wrong with bringing my own food and eating it at the table with them, is there?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Can you eat part of the salad and enjoy the celebration with your peers and use your lunch items to snack before or after the event?

It doesn't really matter what we think. It matters what your boss thinks. I guess you know better than we do if you can push him further on this issue.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I think since you already asked your boss and were told just order a salad that maybe you should eat your actual lunch before or after this celebration.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Can you eat part of the salad and enjoy the celebration with your peers and use your lunch items to snack before or after the event?

It doesn't really matter what we think. It matters what your boss thinks. I guess you know better than we do if you can push him further on this issue.

I have to agree with this. We don't know your work dynamics like you do. At mine, there'd be no issue with someone not ordering a lunch with the group and bringing their own. If your boss is insisting it may just be best for you to suck it up and make a show of eating some of the salad while you're in the meeting.
  • bigblondewolf
    edited March 2015
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

I have to agree with this. We don't know your work dynamics like you do. At mine, there'd be no issue with someone not ordering a lunch with the group and bringing their own. If your boss is insisting it may just be best for you to suck it up and make a show of eating some of the salad while you're in the meeting.

Yeah I suppose that's true. It's just frustrating because a lot of foods upset my stomach and at this office going out for big greasy lunches together is the only way to get ahead.

It's almost like they look down on anyone making healthier choices.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    Be a team player here. Just making the effort speaks louder of your integrity rather than opposing. It's one meal not a commitment to eating that way forever.
    We always have potlucks at my office gym and people bring food that's considered "unhealthy" by many standards. Some eat it, some don't. But they at least show up and don't mock the others for doing so.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • bigblondewolf
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Be a team player here. Just making the effort speaks louder of your integrity rather than opposing. It's one meal not a commitment to eating that way forever.
    We always have potlucks at my office gym and people bring food that's considered "unhealthy" by many standards. Some eat it, some don't. But they at least show up and don't mock the others for doing so.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's not just about the healthy value of the food - as I stated earlier, a lot of the menu options they're giving make me feel very ill. And my boss is not accommodating.

And I didn't "mock" anyone for the way they eat. I don't care what other people eat, I just don't want to be forced to eat food I don't want and that doesn't make me feel good for the sake of keeping the social peace.
  • Burt_Huttz
    Burt_Huttz Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Bring your own lunch. If you get a hard time from anyone, let them know that you feel uncomfortable taking instructions from coworkers about what to put inside your body.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

Yeah I suppose that's true. It's just frustrating because a lot of foods upset my stomach and at this office going out for big greasy lunches together is the only way to get ahead.

It's almost like they look down on anyone making healthier choices.
    It's a balance and every office has its own dynamics. You often have to do what is necessary to fit in and get ahead. Of course, gaining weight shouldn't be one of those things but learning to compromise to at least appear like you fit in is part of the game. There's nothing that says you can't take the offered cookie, make a show of taking one bite and then tossing the rest in the trash when you get back to your desk. If there's an office pot luck, bring something healthy that you know you'll eat and at least you'll have that.

Where I'm working now it seems there's always junk food around. I'm a culprit sometimes but people bring in cookies, cupcakes, donuts, etc. all of the time. At the same time, there's been a recent movement for people to get more healthy. A bunch of the male engineers have started a contest where they get points for eating all of their fruit and vegetable servings, losing a certain percentage of weight, etc. They all recently ran the Tough Mudder race, too. It's changed things. At a recent meeting someone even brought in a vegetable tray and a platter of apple slices with low calorie caramel dip instead of the usual baked goods. Perhaps you might look into starting a similar challenge in your own office?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's not just about the healthy value of the food - as I stated earlier, a lot of the menu options they're giving make me feel very ill. And my boss is not accommodating.

You don't have to order one that will make you feel ill. You can, as your boss suggested, order the salad. I get that it isn't exciting, but one lunch isn't really going to make you die of boredom.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Just get a salad and don't be overly difficult. Why would you want to create friction with your boss and coworkers? Bring healthy snacks and lean proteins to have before and after if you don't think that the calorically favorable choices at this place will keep you full.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    Looking for some help to handle a bit of a sticky situation.

Our work is ordering in for a mandatory "celebration lunch" (yes, attendance is mandatory, don't ask) for all of the employees in our location. We're all expected to put in our order to the chain restaurant they've chosen.

But I'd rather bring my own lunch and use the calories for better food that I actually enjoy and that doesn't make me feel ill.

When I told my boss this I was told to "just get a salad."

How do I get out of this without causing awkward friction without my employer?

I would bring this to HR dept. if you have one within your company.

• Travis_2
    Travis_2 Posts: 1,445 Member
    Options
    Find a new place to work.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Get the food, have a couple bites and pretend to enjoy it! Then throw the rest away and eat your own lunch at your desk. Problem solved.
  • tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    This sounds like total BS to me! They might be able to require you to be at the lunch (like they could a meeting), but they can't dictate what you eat. I'd tell your boss again that you will bring your own lunch to the gathering and there is no need for them to spend money on a meal you don't need. If he insists, maybe order something, but I'd still bring and eat my own food.