Senior Golden Sneakers -May 2011

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Buzz, we only take the ferry when we have some place to go on the other side of the water........driving around the south end of the Puget Sound takes several extra hours so in many cases, the time on the ferry is far less than the long drive around would be. From Port Townsend to Seattle and any place north would take much too long to drive around....the ferry would be the most direct and shortest route.:bigsmile: when we are on the ferry we look around and think that many of the people have saved all year to come to NW Washington to take a ferry ride that we take casually as the only way to get where we're going.

:bigsmile: Jackie, your photos are fabulous.....how great to have something so useful growing in your garden already.:bigsmile: the photos of the bees make them seem much more personal:bigsmile: usually I see bees only buzzing and threatening around me and don't have a chance to notice how beautiful they are and then you make it even more personal by calling them "naughty little girls"

:laugh: After a few minutes of whining about the rain while the dogs sat next to me looking sad and wondering why we weren’t going for a morning walk, I put on my coat and hat and got my umbrella and went for a walk by myself to contemplate what to do with the rest of the day……imagine my surprise when I remembered that I had made the decision months ago to take the dogs to the dog park no matter what the weather.:laugh: So I came home, changed into my walk in the mud shoes and loaded the dogs in the car and went to the dog park where they chased birds and ran or more than an hour. They wanted to stay longer but I was getting soaked and still had to stop at the market on the way home. So now the dogs are asleep, I’m showered and wearing dry clothes and my pedometer has recorded over 12000 steps.:bigsmile:
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Well, I've logged my meals for the day and can honestly say my appetite has been satisfied and I can't think of a thing I want to use up any more calories. I'm sipping a cup of tea as I type but fingers crossed I won't need an early morning visit to the loo for a pee!! I went to the bottom of the garden to shut the hens away for the night and then checked on the swarm of bees but they seem to have moved on. Sadly they probably won't survive long out in the wild but that's nature for you; they felt the urge to move and nothing was going to stop them.:ohwell:

Barbie ~ I'm delighted to hear you can now appreciate the beautiful side of a honey bee. Now, next time you hear a buzz close by just greet the bee with a "hello buzzy bee" or "hey busy bee!" and she'll sense your calm spirit and have no inclination to sting because, like all bees she'll be amazingly intuitive. I loved your story about the walk in the rain this morning. If it were possible your dogs will love you even more for going back home to collect them. You should be feeling proud and satisfied with yourself for not only getting soaked but racking up those steps. Well done!!:flowerforyou:

Buzz ~ I buy mint jelly to smear on meat before it goes in the oven to be roasted and sometimes toss potatoes in it before popping them in the oven but making the mint sauce for the Sunday roast was always my job as a child at home so it rather stuck with me. I went to a plant sale at a local village hall yesterday and bought a pot of Moroccan mint to go with one I've already got because a friend has given me a recipe for mint jelly so I plan to make my own this summer. It calls for 1.5 pints of vinegar, 1.5 pints of water, 2 lb of sugar, 4 sachets of geletine and a large bunch of fresh mint so that's going to be an awful lot of jars!!!:bigsmile: I pulled yet more rhubarb today and have stewed it this evening while I was washing the dishes so that's breakfast organised!
    I loved your comment to Deb about retaining a life rather than becoming obsessed and will probably borrow it for one or two people I know. It'll go in the box that I keep Sandy's pity pot in!!:laugh:

That's it because the radio station I'm listening to is playing such mellow music I feel I want to curl up in bed with a book. We've gone from Elvis singing Can't help falling in love to Sarah Mclachlan's Angel, for me the most beautiful song ever written so I'll say goodnight and head in that direction.

Jackie:heart:
  • gigi46
    gigi46 Posts: 196
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Same old here, has been raining for two days, can't do anything outside. Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Phoebe - Lovily picture, so glad to see your pretty face.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Jackie - The vegetables are beautiful, so early, will be sometime before I can pick anything out of the gargen, great job, and the bees are so awesome.:heart::heart: :heart:

Debz - Don't worried about the scale maybe you should measure yourself and you will see results like Donna, she was disappointed and now she is losing weight and inches.:love::love: :love: I believe in doing both, so if you loose inches instead of lbs is ok, the cloths will be looking much better.

Next week will be a busy one, leaving on thursday for wedding:noway: :noway: :noway: and going over my list of things to get for the trips, you guys know without a list I won't remember if I'm coming or going.:grumble: :grumble:

Have a great night sneakers.

Gigi
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Gigi, Where's the wedding, and who is getting married? Also, where? I must have missed that post :blushing:
    Buzz
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,126 Member
    Options
    Hi Sneakers,
    Thanks for the good weather,it was sunny but very windy,but at least no rain. The graduation was great and I was so proud of my granddaughter. It is hard to post with my phone but wanted to say hi. Will be flying home tomorrow afternoon.
    Talk to you soon.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,126 Member
    Options
    By the way Phoebe, love the picture,so great to put a face with your post.
  • marlouise
    marlouise Posts: 286
    Options
    Hello ladies, I am needing to appologise for not being here every day. I have been getting sore and swelling, the work at Tim's is very hard on me in that respect so as to avoid another visit to the hospital I laid on my back for a few days reading to give me some rest and reduce the swelling.

I have lost some drive to get back into shape, not really knowing why other than maybe what my back trouble has dumped in my mind. I will though keep plugging away, no bad foods. I am trying to stay on the raw vegetables and fruits, with chicken or fish as the main meats and dairy goods as other protein sources. My body some how responds to those foods better and I can loose the inches with out the exercises. I also don't have cravings. Yes and water!! Two to three litres a day.

Until I can be organized in my work and home days I will be in and out of here like the sun peaks through clouds, however like the sun, I will be here. Anyone who would like to give me a shout via e-mail please do. I would appreciate some conversation, and keep up to some topics. It is hard to read all the posts and remember the next time I get in the who's and what's, writing notes can work however page 5 is different from page 15.

Take care ladies, I do think about you all even when I'm at work or taking a break from reading, my hopes you all get through and to your goals. Keep on plugging and be true to yourself!

Love to all...

Marilyn
  • Grandee47
    Grandee47 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Me thinks that Maddie is back! You know, Maddie, being a MIL is hard, but being MIL to DILs is REALLY hard. I am MIL to a DIL and a SIL. I felt like I was walking on eggs around the DIL for the first few years, but during their 11th year of marriage there were some issues and our relationship changed for the better. I pray that over time that will happen to you.....not bad issues, but something that will change her attitude. You have been honest with her and that's all you can do. I pray that all will turn out okay and that your DS will not allow you to be cut off from your DGS. From what you said about your DS, I don't see you being estranged from your DGS. He sounds like a nice guy.

Gotta go. Have a hugely busy day and wasn't planning on posting, but I just had to say something to Maddie.

Have a :happy: day everyone! Carpe Diem!

Dee
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Good morning sneakers
    This is the kind of food I will be eating this week no bread, sugar, potatoes icecream, cereal. no high carbs.
    foodlistpictures.jpg
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    MADDIE posted:
    I AM WOMAN, HEAR ME ROAR!!!
    and I agree with DEE, that's the Maddie we haven't seen in awhile! She's back :wink:

So GIGI...where is that wedding?

MARIE, what are you on now? Has this diet a name? Good luck; at least you won't be bored! (nice picture!)

SANDY...safe trip home!

Buzz
  • judz46
    judz46 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - I just came across these 2 interesting articles. I think a lot of us can relate to this link.. Serious stuff this morning.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_public_journal_individual.asp?blog_id=3926473

and this article.

Effects and Advantages of Bananas on the Brain....

A Professor at CCNY for a Physiological Psych Lecture on Bananas explains to class the expression
    'going Bananas' is - from the effects of Bananas on the Brain. Read on:

NEVER !!! put your Banana in the Refrigerator!!!
    This is interesting.
    After reading this, you'll never look at a Banana in the same way again !..

Bananas contain three natural sugars - Sucrose, Fructose and Glucose combined with fiber. A Banana gives an instant, sustained and substantial boost of Energy.

Research has proven that just two Bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90-minute workout. No wonder the Banana is the No.1 fruit with the world's leading Athletes.

But energy isn't the only way a Banana can help us keep fit. It can also help overcome or prevent a substantial number of illnesses and conditions, making it a must to add to our daily diet.

Depression: According to a recent survey undertaken by MIND amongst people suffering from depression, many felt much better after eating a Banana. This is because Bananas contain Tryptophan, a type of protein that the body converts into Serotonin, known to make you relax, improve your mood and generally make you feel happier.

PMS: Forget the pills - eat a Banana. The Vitamin B6 it contains regulates blood glucose levels, which can affect your mood.

Anemia : High in Iron, Bananas can stimulate the production of haemoglobin in the blood and so helps in cases of Anemia.

Blood Pressure: This unique tropical fruit is extremely high in potassium yet low in salt, making it perfect to beat blood pressure. So much so, the US Food and Drug Administration has just allowed the Banana industry to make official claims for the fruit's ability to reduce the risk of Blood Pressure and Stroke.

Brain Power: 200 students at a Twickenham (Middlesex) school ( England ) were helped through their exams this year by eating Bananas at breakfast, break, and lunch in a bid to boost their brain power. Research has shown that the potassium-packed fruit can assist learning by making pupils more alert.

Constipation: High in fiber, including Bananas in the diet can help restore normal bowel action, helping to overcome the problem without resorting to laxatives.

Hangovers: One of the quickest ways of curing a hangover is to make a Banana milkshake, sweetened with honey.. The Banana calms the stomach and, with the help of the honey, builds up depleted blood sugar levels, while the milk soothes and re-hydrates your system.
    Heartburn: Bananas have a natural Antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from Heartburn, try eating a Banana for soothing relief.

Mosquito bites: Before reaching for the insect bite cream, try rubbing affected area with the inside of Banana skin. Many people find it amazingly successful at reducing swelling and irritation.

Nerves: Bananas are high in B Vitamins that help calm the Nervous system.

Overweight and at work? Studies at the Institute of Psychology in Austria found pressure at work leads to gorging on comfort food like chocolate and chips. Looking at 5,000 Hospital Patients, researchers found the most obese were more likely to be in high-pressure jobs. The report concluded to avoid panic-induced food-cravings, we need to control our blood sugar levels by snacking on high-carbohydrate foods every 2-hours to keep levels steady.

Ulcers: The Banana is used as the dietary food against intestinal disorders because of its soft texture and smoothness. It is the only raw fruit that can be eaten without distress in over-chronicler cases. It also neutralizes over-acidity and reduces irritation by coating the lining of the stomach.

Temperature control: Many other cultures see Bananas as a 'cooling' fruit that can lower both the physical and emotional temperature of expectant mothers. InThailand , for example, pregnant women eat Bananas to ensure their baby is born with a cool temperature.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD): Bananas can help SAD sufferers because they contain the natural mood enhancer Tryptophan.

Smoking &Tobacco Use: Bananas can also help people trying to give up smoking ! The B6 + B12 they contain, as well as Potassium and Magnesium found in them, help the body recover from the effects of nicotine withdrawal.

Stress: Potassium is a vital mineral, which helps normalize the heartbeat, sends oxygen to the brain and regulates your body's water balance. When we are stressed, our metabolic rate rises, thereby reducing our Potassium levels. These can be rebalanced with the help of a high-potassium Banana snack.

Strokes: According to research in The New England Journal of Medicine, eating Bananas as part of a regular diet can cut the risk of death by strokes by as much as 40%!

Warts: Those keen on natural alternatives swear that if you want to kill off a wart, take a piece of Banana skin and place it on the wart, with the yellow side out. Carefully hold the skin in place with a plaster or surgical tape!

So, a Banana really is a natural remedy for many ills. When you compare it to an apple, it has four times the protein, twice the carbohydrate, three times the phosphorus, five times the vitamin A and Iron, and twice the other vitamins and minerals. It is also rich in potassium and is one of the best value foods around So maybe its time to change that well-known phrase so that we say - ' A Banana a day keeps the Doctor away ! '

PS: Bananas must be the reason monkeys are so happy all the time! I will add one here; want a quick shine on our shoes?? Take the INSIDE of the Banana skin, and rub directly on the shoe...polish with dry cloth Amazing fruit !!!
  • gigi46
    gigi46 Posts: 196
    Options
    Good afternoon sneakers,

I'm so tired, started a the gym for 2 hrs, then a friend asked me to play 9 holes of golf, after got home ate lunch and then I trimed all the grass around the brick work, so Mike's only has to cut the center of the yard, I need to take shower so I can look normal.:noway: :noway: :noway:

Happy Birthday Elli:heart::heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Hope you're having a great day:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Buzz - The wedding is in Fort Lauderdale the reception is at the Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six, my brother's son is getting married at 4:30, on friday night I'm making the center pieces for the rehersal dinner, I need to be there by 5:30 to have everything finish by time everyone gets there, we're all very happy and we can't wait for the big day.

Sandy - Hope you had a wondeful time at the graduation:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Marie - The picture of all the foods you're going to be eating looks delicious, makes me hungry:tongue::tongue: :tongue:

Phoebe - Did you get home this past weekend?

Irene - So good to hear from you.

Maddie - Praying for all of you and hoping things are better and you were able to work things out.

Have a good one,

Gigi
  • LUV2CRUZ
    LUV2CRUZ Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Once again, thank you all. I had to call my son to tell him that if his wife didn't talk to me, there would be no babysitting. He started to apologize for her and I said no, no...that's for her to do. Well, about 3 hours later, she finally called. She didn't get any of it. She thought that when she was an hour late and said "I'm sorry but I had things I wanted to do" (with an attitude) that was the apology. Ummmm, NOT. Anyway, we did get it straightened out, mostly because I'm so damn nice and Nate was here bright and early and laughed at himself all day. She was here by 2:10.....close.

I see that Sandy and Gigi are still running around, Marie is still changing her diet, Buzz's picture looks like she's growing pot......some of you are working too hard and some not enough. Eating was better today but still not good. Little more active thanks to Nate!

The banana info was great! I will be eating more of them!! And did you know that they can dance, too?????

dancing.gif

Maddie :glasses:
  • debzwill
    debzwill Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hello Sneakers,

I took my daughter to her monthly associates ballet class in Twickenham yesterday. It was a lovely day and my dh & I walked along the river into Richmond. We had a couple cups of coffee, then walked back along the river to go pick her up. I do love the water. It is so calming. I think I would like to live by a river or lake when I retire!!!

Phoebe: I love your picture. Its so nice to be able to picture you now. :happy: Has your DH had his test yet? How did he get on?

Jackie: I felt sad for your bees. Do you have any left?:frown: How long have you had your allotment? You must be the envy of your village, they are like gold dust are'nt they.

Sandy: Glad to hear you are back safely and that you had a lovely time. How did Babe manage with his daughter taking care of him?:wink:

Maddie: Glad to see you are back and with your dancing logo's:bigsmile: Glad you have sort of resolved it with your DIL. The main thing is you had a great time with Nate.:bigsmile:

Judz: Loved the banana facts. I love them and I eat one before I go to Zumba. It does get me through I swear!

Gigi: Hope you have a lovely time at the wedding. I was going to say have a well earned rest, but it sounds like you will be busy helping out lol. Not long for Italy now ! :bigsmile:

Marie: The picture of your food looks delish and healthy:bigsmile:

Elli: Happy Birthday:flowerforyou: :drinker:

Barbie; Has Jake fixed your bike yet?

Jake: I am sure you will have fixed Barbies bike. What a good job. lol :bigsmile:

Barbie: I tried! :laugh:

Well off to bed now I am straining to stay awake:yawn:

Nite nite xxxxxxxxxxx
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Yes Mattie I am on a new diet.for me. It is the paleo diet. I am posting on the No grain No pain thread. No grains/ , no sugar no process food. etc.I made it 2 says being below 100 carbs.. they weigh in every Tuesday I want have a lost since I just started yesterday. I have order the book.
    So glad you and your daughter in law. got things streghten out.. I know you enjoy having Matt back.
    Hello to all of you sneakers.
  • delraybuzz
    Options
    Quick note to anyone interested in the Platelet report that scared the living Be .... .. out of me! Seems it is a not to worry thing since my other stats don't indicate anything serious. Doc's nurse took 5 vials of blood to look at things not usually included in normal Lab reports, but he was very encouraging so I won't worry! Changed my aspirin dosage, took me off Trental, and said the new report will take close to 2 weeks, and I have another appointment after that! Whew! I think it was good news!

Gigi, goona be hot down here, but also just lovely for the wedding!

Judy, I promise to add bananas!

Elli, H A P P Y B I R T H D A Y to you! All year, dear! :love: :flowerforyou: :love: :drinker: :love:

Glad Sandy's home safe

Deb, just picturing you with baby at dancing clas...Love it!

Maddie, ya did real good...and took care of yourself, too! Proud of you, DD!!!

All of you, I'm not able to go back to the previous page, so forgive me; also, can't sit here as I woke with a a horrible ache in my right upper back this morning, probably from the stress before seeing the hematologist! It should disappear shortly, but I need a heat pad , says DH!

SO I'll be back tomorrow to read everyone's posts ...

Buzz
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Happy birthday elli. It plum slip my mind. So invole in this new diet I just wasn/t thinking.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY.69178472862370.jpg

Love' ya
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday Elli!! wherever you are, etc.
    Buzz, sorry about your sore back, ahhh, a heating pad would feel good for me too! I have one that is made for shoulders, the heating pad, I mean, and I put it on the bed for my cat to lay on, she loves it. Good news from your report, what is your dosage on aspirin? is it lower or higher? we take 325mg daily..or dh does, I forget.
    Judy, you hit the spot with the banana facts, I also tear the skins crosswise, and put them around shrubs and houseplants. Roses love them. I love them too!, bananas, yum
    Sandy, see ya tomorrow- have a great time tonight, hope you knee is okay now.

Gigi, you are going to be very busy for the next month or so, hope you will take good care of yourself, and don't overdo it.. Florida will be fun! I cant even imagine being at the gym for two hours, I count the minutes until one hour!! And then to play golf.. please, your wearing me out!
    Marie, I know everyone says they like your picture, but to me, yuck!! maybe if it was cooked meat LOL, but you know I love ya.
    Marilyn, pain will get you down, that's a fact, and chronic pain will get you depressed, and its something to try to fight, but it is hard. I assume the swelling and pain are in your back, you know the swelling is not a good sign. I hope you will not mess around with it, and go back to your doctor asap. As far as losing your drive, well you can't be expected to focus on anything when you are miserable. Please take care.
    HI Dee! glad you checked in, be safe.
    Maddie, good for you! Glad you had a good day with Nate, love your banana
    Deb, your riverwalk sounds wonderful, if its warm enough to do it, wouldn't be fun in cold and wind. DH went to the cardiologist, and got an 'A' for his heart score. yay!
    I feel bad about Jackie's bees too. They are really pretty insects, as long as they are not mad at me, then they look pretty horrific!
    I hope you hint worked for Barbie's bike! lol

This is the coolest May I can remember. in the 40's tonight. I went to the doctor today for a recheck of my vitamin b12 and D levels. While I was there, I told my dr. about the way my weight seems to flucuate, even in the same day. She suggested I double my diuretic sometimes, but not all of the time. I hope that will get me off of this yo yo weight thing. Really now!! I don't know what weight to record anymore. I gained five pounds today! I managed to get to the gym today, two days in a row is kind of a record for me! Hopefully, I will go again tomorrow.
    I've got to restart my computer to finish an update. See ya tomorrow!
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    You know what Phoebe i did not like it either. I like the veggies but the meat raw meat turn me off. What made me do it. Just cause I could. I don't even like to cooked it. I had canned salmon patti tonight with just an egg in it and some season with my 1T. olive oil. I might have left the oil off o my dairy come to think o it.Didn;t miss the corn meal and cracker crumbs. Have a good night.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,992 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: today was colonoscopy day for Jake. I got up early so I could take the poodles on a long walk so they'd be OK being left for hours..........we had a long wait at short stay surgery and while Jake had his procedure I took a short walk and ate the lunch and water I brought for myself and then danced to music on my mp3 player while waiting in his room....:bigsmile: the news was all good and he doesn't have to go back for five years.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: I wanted to take the dogs to the dog park when I got home so after an applesauce snack I got them ready and half way there it started raining.:brokenheart: when we got there, the parking lot was closed so we parked at the lot at the other end of the park, walked the ten minutes to get to the off leash area and discovered that it was closed:brokenheart: :brokenheart: :brokenheart: there was no one around to ask for an explanation but the huge puddles in the dog park and in the parking lot suggested that standing water was the problem

:brokenheart: :brokenheart: :brokenheart: my bike is still not fixed :brokenheart:

:brokenheart: Jackie, I'm so sorry to hear about your bees leaving.:brokenheart: is there a chance they will come back?

:bigsmile: Phoebe, I'm glad to finally see your face.....thanks for adding a picture :bigsmile: good job getting to the gym

:brokenheart: Marilyn, sorry to hear that you're fighting with your back and your feelings.:brokenheart: Take it one day at a time

:bigsmile: Marie, I have heard many good things about the paleo diet.:bigsmile: I wish you the best on it.:bigsmile:

:bigsmile: Judy, I bought some bananas today so it was great fun reading about how great they are:bigsmile: thank you for sharing all that great information

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Gigi, how great that you can go to Florida and be such a big part of your brother's son's wedding:bigsmile: :bigsmile: have a great time

:flowerforyou: Maddie, when I saw the dancing banana, I knew the real Maddie was back :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :heart: :heart: :heart: Good for you to not let your son apologize for his wife :bigsmile: she needs to grow up:bigsmile:

:bigsmile: Deb, I love the water, too.....we have a sign on our wall that says "if you are lucky enough to live near the water, then you are lucky enough". I got to walk a bit near the water this morning :bigsmile: thanks for your efforts to get Jake to fix my bike:bigsmile: I noticed that now that the bike is broken Jake doesn't complain about my dancing while we watch TV:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:flowerforyou: Buzz, I was thinking about you today so I'm glad you let us know that the report from the doctor was good:bigsmile: