Senior Golden Sneakers -May 2011

Options

Replies

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Marie said:
    Connie you are so smart.you really know your computer
    Don't have to be smart when you have Google. For example, need to know the square root of 689? Ask Google, You don't even have to hit the "search" button - it will give you the answer immediate

Connie We don't need Google when we got you. But I may try it out Thanks
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Connie, do you ever think about the old prisoner chain gangs, busting rocks? Lol, maybe they worked on your land, way back when.
    your land is beautiful, so green.
    marie, if I am to believe the scales in the fuel stop that we frequent, I have lost 5 more pounds since we left home. I wont record it til I weigh at home. I will be content with anything except a gain!
    hope you got your plan back on track today. Your apple dessert sounds great. It reminds me of a baked apple.
    Sandy, take it easy and dont worry if you forgot anything(except your husband or Daisy). It'll work out.
    Elli, hope you are better tonight. Seven days is my limit, then I go to the doctor. That is for sinus stuff. I know, I like to think my natural immune system can and will protect me, but germs are meaner and faster to spread nowadays. Be well
    maddie, hope you are not exhausting yourself, but you probably are. Were thinking of you.
    and all the rest of you who are feeling unwell in mind body or soul, bless your hearts and prayers go to all Gods golden sneakers.
    today is national prayer day.
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Busy as all get out, but wanted to check in to let you all know I'm with you in spirit! Fridge comes from 7:30 to 9:30 tomorrow morning so heaven forbid they should take away a dirty old one, huh? Or find dust around the walls or floor! So I cleaned the entire area so the new on has a spotless home, and we covered up over 100 miles today running from one end of Palm Beach County to the next picking up glasses and shoes and who lnows what else??? Exhausted tonight as we started the day at Drivers' Classes till 3. Oh and I have a haircut appointment at 7 AM tomorrow morning before the refrigerator arrives! Yikes :huh: will I get through the day? Let you know tomorrow!
    Buzz
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Busy as all get out, but wanted to check in to let you all know I'm with you in spirit! Fridge comes from 7:30 to 9:30 tomorrow morning so heaven forbid they should take away a dirty old one, huh? Or find dust around the walls or floor! So I cleaned the entire area so the new on has a spotless home, and we covered up over 100 miles today running from one end of Palm Beach County to the next picking up glasses and shoes and who lnows what else??? Exhausted tonight as we started the day at Drivers' Classes till
    Buzz

Who is taking drivers lesson. ? My license expire in Nov. but I am not going to renew it for I know my eyes would not let me pass.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,131 Member
    Options
    I Owe My Mother

1. My mother taught me TO APPRECIATE A JOB WELL DONE.
    "If you're going to kill each other, do it outside.. I just finished cleaning."

2. My mother taught me RELIGION.
    "You better pray that will come out of the carpet.."

3. My mother taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
    "If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!"

4. My mother taught me LOGIC..
    " Because I said so, that's why."

5. My mother taught me MORE LOGIC.
    "If you fall out of that swing and break your neck, you're not going to the store with me."

6. My mother taught me FORESIGHT.
    "Make sure you wear clean underwear, in case you're in an accident."

7. My mother taught me IRONY.
    "Keep crying, and I'll give you something to cry about."

8. My mother taught me about the science of OSMOSIS.
    "Shut your mouth and eat your supper."

9. My mother taught me about CONTORTIONISM.
    "Will you look at that dirt on the back of your neck!"

10. My mother taught me about STAMINA.
    "You'll sit there until all that liver is gone.."

11. My mother taught me about WEATHER.
    "This room of yours looks as if a tornado went through it."

12. My mother taught me about HYPOCRISY.
    "If I told you once, I've told you a million times. Don't exaggerate!"

13. My mother taught me the CIRCLE OF LIFE.
    "I brought you into this world, and I can take you out.."

14. My mother taught me about BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION .
    "Stop acting like your father!"

15.. My mother taught me about ENVY.
    "There are millions of less fortunate children in this world who don't have wonderful parents like you do."

16. My mother taught me about ANTICIPATION.
    "Just wait until we get home."

17. My mother taught me about RECEIVING .
    "You are going to get it when you get home!"

18. My mother taught me MEDICAL SCIENCE.
    "If you don't stop crossing your eyes, they are going to get stuck that way."

19. My mother taught me ESP.
    "Put your sweater on; don't you think I know when you are cold?"

20. My mother taught me HUMOR.
    "When that lawn mower cuts off your toes, don't come running to me."

21. My mother taught me HOW TO BECOME AN ADULT .
    "If you don't eat your vegetables, you'll never grow up."

22. My mother taught me GENETICS.
    "You're just like your father."

23. My mother taught me about my ROOTS.
    "Shut that door behind you.. Do you think you were born in a barn?"

24. My mother taught me WISDOM.
    "When you get to be my age, you'll understand."

And my favorite:

25. My mother taught me about JUSTICE.
    "One day you'll have kids, and I hope they turn out just like you!"
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,997 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :bigsmile: :flowerforyou: I've been busy all day....rain in the AM then warm enough for Jake to cut the grass and me to take the dogs for a long dog park visit.

:flowerforyou: Sandy, have a great trip......Daisy and Babe will be fine:bigsmile:

:bigsmile: Buzz, enjoy your new fridge :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Phoebe, I'll think positive thoughts about your weight loss.....be safe :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: Connie, your garden path is fabulous :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Judi, when I read about all the plants you bought, I couldn't imagine that your climate was enough warmer than ours to be planting all that stuff and then you said that most of them would have to stay in the greenhouse for awhile and that made a lot more sense to me.........Our weather is warm one day then rainy and cold for many days in a row.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Elli, I hope you are feeling better.:flowerforyou: I miss hearing from you

:flowerforyou: Marie, it sounds like you are continuing to do well on your food plan :bigsmile:
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Marie says:

Who is taking drivers lesson. ? My license expire in Nov. but I am not going to renew it for I know my eyes would not let me pass.

That's too bad. You'll miss having it. When my Mom didn't renew hers she felt very lost without out. However, she never drove any more (we took her everywhere). It was not being able to. It is much better when YOU make the decision though, not someone else. My Mom took the test 2 times and failed both times. It was very hard on her. However, she is living in a city now and lived in the country her whole life. Driving on city streets is much different.
  • fancyladyJeri
    Options
    . Sandybwrote:
    And my favorite:

25. My mother taught me about JUSTICE.
    "One day you'll have kids, and I hope they turn out just like you!"

My Mom used to say this to my sister and then felt very guilty when my sister's daughter DID turn out exactly like her. LOL
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    41.jpg

In Honor of my Mother, she would have been 100 years old this coming July
    I love you Momma
  • Grandee47
    Grandee47 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: What beautiful flowers, Marie! My Mom's bday was in July also, the 1st of July. She passed when I was in my 20s and would be 92 this year. I miss her a lot and am sorry on all she missed out on. My kids were really little when she died. She had a terrific sense of humor and a great laugh. Back in the 50s I can remember getting home from school and walking out onto the back porch to listen.....All the ladies in the neighborhood got together for coffee in the afternoons when their work was done. I'd know whose house they were at when I heard Mom's laugh. Good memories. :love:

Dee :smile:
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Sandy, thanks for the reminders, we will all have a little more to be thankful for this Mothers Day. ;-)
    buzz, it is exciting to get a brand new appliance. I hope you love it. Fill it with good things.
    Marie, very pretty flowers. Happy Mothers Day to You.
    Dee, I lost my mom in my 20s too. Devastating.
    We are working our way toward home. Arkansas has a section of freeway closed because of flooding, to avoid a delay, we will have to change our route.

I dont know how they know it, but the ones who know say that fuel prices are dropping and will be lower on Saturday than today.

Have a great weekend
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies ~ Funny couple of days diet-wise as yesterday I didn't each very much but didn't have time to log in to see how much more I could eat after a swim in the morning and ended up having an extra couple of biscuits (cookies) before I went to bed which was not the best choice at all. Today I went to my allotment to do a small amount of gardening before the forecast rain turned up. Six hours later it still wasn't raining so I continued weeding and tidying, having missed lunch. Got home around 5 pm and gobbled a bagel and cream cheese with a cup of tea and am now waiting for an appetite before I cook a stir-fry dinner. My poor old system will be wondering what on earth is going on but perhaps it will kick start it into losing another pound after a couple of weeks with nothing moving. Six hours of gardening will probably allow me thousands of calories this evening but I can't see me eating them all back even if I attack a whole pack of biscuits!!:laugh:

Connie ~ Your blackbeery honey sounds devine. At the moment my ladies are bringing in pollen from the dandelions that are everywhere in the local fields and along the roadsides. They also love hawthorn flowers. In the summer they find clover and autumn time we have a mass of Himalayan balsam in the streams on the moors that has the most beautiful nectar. My pinkperil name is the common term for it and as it is a tall willowy plant I had visions of how I might look one day if I lose the weight that I need to!!:laugh: :laugh: I'm sure you know that eating local honey is extremely good for you as you build up immunities to hayfever and asthma as well as ingesting a healthy and natural form of antibiotic. I too love it on my breakfast, especially porridge.

Jeri ~ Another favourite, honey on toast, mmm!!

Phoebe ~ Bees normally plan to leave home because they get too crowded when their numbers increase rapidly if it is a healthy colony. In the natural world they would go and find a hole in a tree but these days they struggle to survive in the wild due to diseases so it's a terrible waste if they do fly off into the sunset. When I inspect the hive I look for what is known as a queen cell which the bees create when they know the original queen is going to leave. Normally the baby bee cells are small and flat but a queen cell is ten times the size so tends to stick out for all to see. The bees feed the baby with royal jelly to create a queen but unfortunately you have to destroy that cell to ensure a new queen doesn't emerge because if she does old queenie is off!!! It's better to add layers to the hive to give them more room, rather like turning your house into a highrise!! The cold area near me is on higher ground. Where I live we are about 600 feet above sea level but if I drive up to my friend's area just a mile away she is 800+ feet above sea level. I always joke with her that she has her own weather. I can be sitting in sunshine and chat to her on the phone and she will tell me she can't see beyond the garden because of the low clouds. It can be pretty wild!! In fact the promised rain has just arrived and is lashing against the windows and my cat Jasper has run in to rub his wet body against my leg!!:huh:

Judi ~ I had a couple of Tumbling Tom tomatoes last year that were amazing. I grew them in a hanging basket outside the dining room window and they were so sweet and delicious. One of my swimming buddies Jill grows tomatoes from seeds she takes from supermarket tomatoes. Just squishes them on to the top of a pot of compost and off they go!! For her anyway; I can't get it to work!! She's given me a couple of plants from an Italian variety of small tomatoes so I can't wait to see how they do.

Thunderstorm on the way so I'm going to switch off the computer before the power goes off as there is a transmitter on top of the mentioned hill and boy, does it ever attract lightening!!

Be back once the storm passes.

Jackie:flowerforyou:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Thanks Jackie for the lesson in bees. They are fastnyateing little devils.aren't they. I have seen roual jelly advertise do you think it is as good as they say...... Thanks for the ideal on tomatoes.

Phoebe sound like you are half way home. Be careful of all the floods. It is beautiful here really lovely day. Waiting on Jerry to get home from his last treatment. His neck looks much better this morning, that new med must have really been good stuff. Then we will make a quick run to the store and then go out to eat to celebrate him completinghis 30 days. We are going to Golden coral buffet They have roastieer chicken lots of veggies,. Won't even look at their desert.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies:

Beautiful flowers Marie. :heart:

Having fish fry tonight which the husbands caught (fresh perch) and having company over to enjoy it.
    Enjoy your Friday everyone !!
  • jeffrey71
    jeffrey71 Posts: 432
    Options
    Hi all!

Remember me??? I am well and doing fine. Day is well as are the girls. Amanda's wedding is June 11 and that is the constant focus now. Day's mother is now in hospice, but doing very well. I have the knee rehabbed and last week I did my first race. It was biathlon. 3.1 mile run and then 11.1 miles on the bike. I won my age group and finished 12th overall. I have a triathlon 2 weeks from sunday in Columbus, Oh. It is 1/4 mile swim and then 15 miles on the bike and then a 3.1 mile run. Now we shall see what the knee has in it. I was told that I will probably need a knee replacement in 2-3 years but I am using this one up first!

Work is going well, but I need a change! LOL Joe the Cat is good. Fat and happy! Not too much else going on with me. Just work and training and wedding! I am sorry for my absence. I miss you all!

Marie whats new with you?

Sandy thanks for the "nudge"!

Everyone else I will catch up on the postings!

I have not had any weight gains and feel great. You can find me on facebook! Jeffrey Writtenhouse or Jeffrey Writtenhouse Triathlete. also! Joe Writtenhouse has his own page. I have to help him some!

Take care!

Jeffrey
  • jeffrey71
    jeffrey71 Posts: 432
    Options
    HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO EVERYONE!
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Having fish fry tonight which the husbands caught (fresh perch) and having company over to enjoy it.

We have lake perch shipped to us from a fishmonger back in Sheboygan, Wisconsin. They are Lake Michigan perch and there is nothing like a Friday fish fry with those delicate little fillets, some crunchy french fries, a dish of cole slaw and some thick, homemade marble rye bread. it's pretty expensive but it is on of very few food luxuries so its worth it. While we're at it we also get six whitefish fillets, too. Something about fish from the Great Lakes that is so good.

Enjoy!

Happy Mother's Day to everyone. Will be a quiet day for us since gas is so expensive the kids can't afford to drive the 1200 miles round trip.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Thanks Jackie for the lesson in bees. They are fastnyateing little devils.aren't they. I have seen roual jelly advertise do you think it is as good as they say...... Thanks for the ideal on tomatoes.

Marie ~ I think any local honey is good for you. Don't know about royal jelly and always worry about how on earth they extract so much to make jars of it, but that's just me. Too soft!! I've grown plants from seeds out of supermarket peppers and melons and it's also supposed to work with cucumbers so if you've bought them to eat anyway you may as well give it a go. You can also start them off on a piece of damp kitchen paper towel in a container covered in clingfilm. You call it something else don't you, some sort of wrap or brand name??

That's great news about Jerry. Have a wonderful celebration:heart::heart:

Jackie
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    41.jpg

In Honor of my Mother, she would have been 100 years old this coming July
    I love you Momma

Amazingly beautiful!!!!

L.
  • fancyladyJeri
    Options
    A priest and a Hindu are makin toast. The priest exclaims: "Look there is an image of Jesus in my margarine!" The Hindu replies: " I can't believe its not Budda!"

A nice day here today. I shamed my dh into going for a walk with me. It was fun. We saw lots of crocuses blooming. Too bad I didn't have my camera with me.

Have a great evening.