Help! My 20 year old daughter is a closet eater!

Options

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    jelie3110 wrote: »
    Some folks are brutal. I think it's pretty amazing you are concerned about your daughters health. It sounds like you have a great relationship with your daughter. Instead of saying anything maybe suggest some new activities you can do together. Join a gym, signup for some dance classes. AND MFP! have you shared how supportive MFP can be. Maybe set some new fitness goals for yourself and get excited about it. Maybe it will rub off on her. Get her new BF involved.

I got her a gym membership, she was going initially an I was so excited and kept telling her I was so proud of her and how much fun it was to do it together. It only lasted for a short while then the excuses started, headaches, leg pain etc...... She never got back into it and she told me yesterday she wants me to cancel it. I hope she gets back on track....

Bolded. I understand being excited about someone doing what you want them to do, but when you keep telling her how excited you are, it gets annoying. You may not have said anything you felt was annoying or obnoxious, but it's easy to have your actions interpreted that way by someone who doesn't feel that excited.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was always a thin child but then at the age of 16 (same as your daughter) I left full time education, the world became a lot more stressful, McDonalds seemed a lot more appealing and the weight crept up. I've been really depressed (still am, just more manageable now) and I dare say the two are linked. Now if my mother had ever expressed concern about my weight then it would have more than likely pushed me further away, made me feel ashamed and then eat more out of stress. Thankfully I was helped not with eating, but with the depression and given a lot of time and understanding. The happy ending to this is that eventually of my own accord and without anyone harassing me about it I felt at 28 years old I wanted to lose all that weight and feel better about myself and by the time I was 29 (well before then actually) I was back to being slim. What I'm saying is, being a comforting presence but giving her time to deal with what's in her head is the only way to go. Being that person who she associates with being made to feel bad by will only make it worse.

I think someone else suggested it but maybe once a week get a nice treat to share between you and enjoy it with her and take the shame away from eating such food. It's not wrong to feel concerned and want to do something about it. But this is a tricky thing to deal with and you need to be very careful as to how you go about it.
  • NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of a closet eating problem; the minute i get home from my boyfriend's, i'm off to the shop to buy things to stuff my face with (it is an issue i'm battling and battling pretty well as i've started losing weight again, but i still have 'those nights'). I don't have any problems in my life, except i know that i am overweight. I was two sizes smaller than i am now when my boyfriend and I first met, which he genuiney doesn't care about, but i do, and so i hate indulging around him incase he judges me for wanting to lose weight yet stuffing my face (because i judge myself for that so i assume he would too). Also, he barely eats anything and when he does he eats very healthily (no issues, he's just tiny). So when i'm around him, i feel pressure not to eat, which leads me coming home occasionally and just over-indulging and binging like crazy.

Seriously, when he comes over he isn't allowed in my room in case he sees all the empty packets lying around the place (and i'm 26 years old and still exhibiting these behaviours). We will be moving in together soon though, and so i hope when i'm in an environment that is both ours and i feel more comfortable in, i will be able to kick that habit altogether. Sorry, i don't mean to be one of these 'all about me' kinda people that steal threads, but i consider myself to be in your daughter's shoes, and so i can honestly say (as a lot of people here have) that if you back off, try the 'indulging in food with her' idea and make her feel comfortable eating around you then it will definitely help her. I hope it all works out :)
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Back off

Leave her alone

She's an adult and it is none of your business

Your job is to tell her how much you love her, how beautiful she is not to pick at her for being overweight

yes to all this. I am a binge eater (a recovering one!) and my best advice would be to back off, she is an adult. She probably knows she has a problem, and isnt ready to deal with it yet.
  • stinegulliksen
    stinegulliksen Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My mom was just like this when I was younger. The food we had at home, was always healthy, but I would buy candy at any chance I got. I also hated exercise. When I moved out of the house at 19, it got even worse, and every time she would confront med about it, I would shut down. I told her, that the decision to loose weight had to come from me, and not from her. This made her back off. I am now 21. I stepped on the scale about a month ago, and discovered I´d gained 20 lb in 6 months. That was the shock I needed to make me loose weight. I´ve lost 10 lb so far.

Give her space and time. She most likely knows that she has a problem, and she´ll do something about it when she´s ready.
  • fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I began closet eating when I was young too. And today, I still battle my weight more than ever. When I was young, I didn't gain weight, because I was very active. I played every sport I could. But I would also sneak my dad's little Debbie snacks from the pantry, or eat a whole bag of chips in one sitting. Of course, I was busted with wrappers a few times, and my parents would tell me how unhealthy it was. I didn't have a bad childhood. My parents stayed together, were happily married. Honestly, I think the worst thing about my childhood, was that I was the middle child, and sometimes overlooked...I had no reason to closet eat....but for some reason I did, I loved junk food. I can honestly say, if my mother had stepped in at that point, and made me feel bad about it, it would have gotten worse. Still, to this day, my mother is nothing but supportive, and would never say anything to hurt me, in anyway. If I bring up my weight or health, my mom doesn't even so much as nod in agreement, and I KNOW she is concerned. I know it, because she loves me, and she shows me all the time that she loves me, how could she not be concerned. So if you are telling her and showing her you love her, that's all she needs. I know it must be hard to watch her go down this path, but she does not need anyone telling her what she is doing is unhealthy. Trust me, she knows. Be there for her, love her, and say nothing of her health and weight if you want to keep her in your life. Unfortunately, this is not something YOU can fix for her. She'll get there.
  • NEWMEKELLIB
    NEWMEKELLIB Posts: 49 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Trust in your self that you've raised a great person who is now an adult, who can make decisions for her/himself, everyone has a breaking point...eating covertly is a sign of shame or hiding because she/he already feels that its weird/wrong and has to hide to do it.
    when he/she is ready to make a move or change they will do it. believe I am 24 , ive had binge / purge for years and I broke the cycle...but I had to come to a breaking point with myself ... luckily my parents werent pushy or weird about my weight, and never knew my disorder..they raised a great person who figured out thier own demons. I prevailed.

edited to add: your a great mom for having concern for your daughter... I hope she finds the help she needs...it will happen...
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    I don't think you are being over bearing. You should be concerned. It seems that you and her are very close and you don't say anything that would hurt her or make her feel unloved or unwanted. Your daughter is developing very detrimental habits and you see that and you want to help her fix the problem. There is nothing wrong with that. My opinion is that you need to be gentle with her, but honest. Tell her you will always love her and be there for her and express that you are only trying to help. If you come off respectful and non-shaming, there shouldn't be any issues. No one wants to see their child balloon up to 400, 500 lbs. There are so many risks of obesity including heart disease, high blood pressure, strokes, diabetes, etc. The list could go on and on. I don't for one second believe that you want your daughter to be stick thin, I know you want her to be at a healthy weight. So I am unsure why people are beating up on you for showing concern. I think if your daughter got sick or became morbidly obese, later on in the future, you would kick yourself for 'Backing off'. As a mother, you have every right to express worry and concern.
  • daydreams_of_pretty
    daydreams_of_pretty Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I was strict as in telling her she could never eat junk. I just didn't keep junk food at my house and I have always been fit because of that so that is what she was used to seeing. I would let her get Ice cream and candy sometimes if we were out. I really haven't even brought it up since she turned 18 because she is an adult, but I guess after seing all those cookie boxes this morning, it really made me think again.

Everyone has made great points so far, but no one has specifically mentioned this, which stood out to me. Sure, not eating "junk food" regularly would help you stay fit, but it's not necessary to avoid "junk food" to be fit or to maintain a healthy weight. You seem to believe that it is, or at the very least make statements that suggest that.

If your daughter grew up watching you/listening to you talk about eating a very healthy diet with little "junk food" in order to maintain fitness, then she may also perceive that eating exactly like you do is necessary for her to maintain a healthy weight. If she also likes to eat the foods that you label "junk" then it could make her feel like there's no point in trying to eat a healthier diet or lose weight because it means that she'd have to be deprived of such foods forever. Thinking like that also creates a vicious cycle of indulgence in preparation for the eventual day that she will finally give it all up and be "healthy" for once.

I'm not saying that you intentionally restricted things because I don't know if you did that or not. (I know that you say that you didn't restrict, but your daughter could feel differently.) From the statements that you have made in this tread, I do believe that you have made your daughter think that she needed to eat a very healthy (based on what you believe is healthy) diet to achieve a healthy weight/desired level of fitness.

All of the other comments about depression, loss of her father, the divorce, etc. are huge factors as well.
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Some folks are brutal. I think it's pretty amazing you are concerned about your daughters health. It sounds like you have a great relationship with your daughter. Instead of saying anything maybe suggest some new activities you can do together. Join a gym, signup for some dance classes. AND MFP! have you shared how supportive MFP can be. Maybe set some new fitness goals for yourself and get excited about it. Maybe it will rub off on her. Get her new BF involved.

I got her a gym membership, she was going initially an I was so excited and kept telling her I was so proud of her and how much fun it was to do it together. It only lasted for a short while then the excuses started, headaches, leg pain etc...... She never got back into it and she told me yesterday she wants me to cancel it. I hope she gets back on track....

Bolded. I understand being excited about someone doing what you want them to do, but when you keep telling her how excited you are, it gets annoying. You may not have said anything you felt was annoying or obnoxious, but it's easy to have your actions interpreted that way by someone who doesn't feel that excited.

Yes, how incredibly insulting of the mom to express excitement or pride to her daughter about her making better, healthier choices that will help her in life. Shame on you, mom.

I too have put in bold, something you said. The mom is not trying to get her daughter to 'do what she wants her to do', she is trying to help her improve her quality of life.
  • MsJennyffer
    MsJennyffer Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I read some of other's post and some are spot on , some are harsh. Here is the thing, she is more than aware of her problem, otherwise she wouldn't be hiding it. In her mind she knows there is a problem and it probably consumes most of feelings and thought and makes her feel bad. Its normal as a concerned mother that you want the best for her, but when you bring it up, you are just bringing something up that she already knows, and it makes her feel worse. I am 24, and have struggled with my weight since I was a child, and ranged from 180-200 in highschool. When I began driving it was the same thing, it got worst when I stopped living with my mom and moved in with my bf. I think you need to "make a deal" with her of some sort, tell her you won't bring it up again, not mention or push if she agrees to go to counseling ON HER OWN, unless she tells you its ok for you to come in, but these issues are deep, diet and exercise aren't going to help, she might lose the weight, but she will end up gaining it back. I love that you are concerned for her, a lot moms are, but it comes off as superficial sometimes because they want us to be thin and beautiful like other girls, but other girls that don't have to work for it. Anyway, hope that helps.
  • jelie3110
    jelie3110 Posts: 433
    Options
    jazmin220 wrote: »
    I don't think you are being over bearing. You should be concerned. It seems that you and her are very close and you don't say anything that would hurt her or make her feel unloved or unwanted. Your daughter is developing very detrimental habits and you see that and you want to help her fix the problem. There is nothing wrong with that. My opinion is that you need to be gentle with her, but honest. Tell her you will always love her and be there for her and express that you are only trying to help. If you come off respectful and non-shaming, there shouldn't be any issues. No one wants to see their child balloon up to 400, 500 lbs. There are so many risks of obesity including heart disease, high blood pressure, strokes, diabetes, etc. The list could go on and on. I don't for one second believe that you want your daughter to be stick thin, I know you want her to be at a healthy weight. So I am unsure why people are beating up on you for showing concern. I think if your daughter got sick or became morbidly obese, later on in the future, you would kick yourself for 'Backing off'. As a mother, you have every right to express worry and concern.

Thank you for being so compassionate:) you are absolutely right:)
  • jelie3110
    jelie3110 Posts: 433
    Options
    Trust in your self that you've raised a great person who is now an adult, who can make decisions for her/himself, everyone has a breaking point...eating covertly is a sign of shame or hiding because she/he already feels that its weird/wrong and has to hide to do it.
    when he/she is ready to make a move or change they will do it. believe I am 24 , ive had binge / purge for years and I broke the cycle...but I had to come to a breaking point with myself ... luckily my parents werent pushy or weird about my weight, and never knew my disorder..they raised a great person who figured out thier own demons. I prevailed.

edited to add: your a great mom for having concern for your daughter... I hope she finds the help she needs...it will happen...

Good for you:) and thank you:)
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    A lot of people post on here looking for validation for what they want to hear, and ignore the rest. You want to help her, you want to do something, and those seem to be the posts you're focusing on and listening to.

IMO, your daughter's issues are probably rooted in the trauma of the divorce & the death of her father.

Maybe instead of listening to the people who are just validating your 'right' to fix her, you need to listen to the people who have been there, done that.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Back off

Leave her alone

She's an adult and it is none of your business

Your job is to tell her how much you love her, how beautiful she is not to pick at her for being overweight

No clue why this is blocked and members have decided to click abuse on this member. What she's shared is the truth. 20 year old daughter is not 16 anymore..it's for her to make life decisions now. You may truly care but it's only her that can make the decision to change her habits.

As @rabbitjb shared... Love her up and make her feel accepted just as she is... try the opposite approach.. don't say ANYTHING about her body, weight, eating habits. Yes, tell her she's beautiful and you love her just as she is. <3

She's lost her father at a very young age and now has a Mother that cares but to your daughter it might not be coming across that way. If someone constantly brought up my eating, exercise, food choices etc. etc. I'd shut down too.
  • krysmuree
    krysmuree Posts: 326 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I too was a closet eater, because my grandmother was constantly nitpicking me on my weight, on my habits, on what I ate, how much, where, when (meanwhile, insisting I eat entire cans of microwaved hash and Dinty Moore stew for dinner - 2x/3x what I should have been consuming at age 12).

Here I am, 50lbs overweight and I know the exact emotional drive that put me here, and that was her. Obsessive nagging leads right into it. If you attempt to confront or change her, you will only exacerbate the problem. She's an adult and will either grow out of it or grow tired of it, or address the emotional problems driving it.

But! It's great that you're concerned for her and that you want to help her, but if anything, approach it without her weight in mind. Worry about her emotional health. See how she's feeling, try to talk to her, maybe encourage therapy. That's a tough spot to be in, but pointing out her hidden containers and emotional eating will only make it worse.
  • marlanaperry
    marlanaperry Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I get where people are coming from in saying you need to back off, but as a 20 year old, it actually helps when my mom is totally honest with me about my weight and the way I've been eating. I think it just depends on your daughter's personality. If she's not the type that will benefit from you saying she needs to do something, then you do need to back off a little bit. Overall, you need come from a place where you're concerned about her health, not how she looks; if you take on being more healthy as well and maybe challenge her to do the same with you, I bet she would respond.
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    All you can do is offer support. Don't pester her, don't confront her. Just offer her love and understanding. If you stop bringing it up she will soon come to a realization on her own if she wants to loose weight but if not you just need to give her support.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Anyone that tells you that they wish their mom put them on a diet has never had a mom that makes everything about your appearance! I agree with everyone else. My mom made me feel horrible when I was literally 10 lbs at most overweight! Take a breath and stop making it about what you want.

I do not and would never put my daughter down, this is not about looks, she is beautiful inside and out which I tell her all the time. This is about her health

A person can be beautiful on the outside even if overweight. Do you not see the words that you use on here are showing how you treat your daughter? I've bolded them so you can see how you wrote this out... she knows that you feel this.. Can you not love her right where she's at in life?
  • nicfitnesszone
    nicfitnesszone Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Very sensitive topic. As a mum, it is hard to look the other way when we know there are health consequence. However, I agree with those who said your daughter needs to make the decision for herself to deal with her issues that goes beyond closet eating.