What do you all do with sweet potatoes?

Replies

• MegGuerard
    MegGuerard Posts: 1 Member
    With baked sweet potatoes I top/stuff them with a little feta cheese, kalamata olives, and some chopped spinach. It sounds like a strange combination at first but the salty/briny taste really balances out the sweet potato!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member

Wow, who knew such a thing existed? I've just ordered myself a spiralizer, thanks for that!!!

I bought one two years ago and used it at least 3 times a week since. After having it for two days, I bought one for my mom. Now everyone borrows mine, so I'm going to be buying more as gifts soon!
  • Bailey_432
    Bailey_432 Posts: 55 Member
    Bailey_432 wrote: »
    exstromn wrote: »
    Sweet potato brownies, super satisfying!

:open_mouth: how do you make these?! Sound so good! A friend of mine bought some sweet potato cake into class and it was luuuush :blush: forgot what she said the recipe was though...

Thankyouu! :blush:

• JCM1969
    JCM1969 Posts: 141 Member
    Skinnytaste Sweet potato hash with chicken and eggs... She has some awesome sweet potato recipes
  • arkham_ma
    arkham_ma Posts: 62 Member
    MegGuerard wrote: »
    With baked sweet potatoes I top/stuff them with a little feta cheese, kalamata olives, and some chopped spinach. It sounds like a strange combination at first but the salty/briny taste really balances out the sweet potato!

that sounds really tasty - I might have to try that.

Love sweet potatoes, and while the wife will occasionally make fries or something out of them, they're great just with a little butter, salt & pepper. Though adding a bit of sour cream doesn't hurt :p
  • beachlover83
    beachlover83 Posts: 68 Member
    Love sweet potato fries! Also, I found a new recipe I love...pulled pork sweet potatoes. Cook a pork loin in the slow cooker. Microwave your sweet potato, add some pork on top and a little bit of BBQ sauce. Delicious!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    I wrap 'em in foil and bake them until a fork pokes through easily. They can sit in the fridge for several days that way. When I want to use them, the skin slides off easily and I can just eat them mashed, put them in soup, turn them into a pasta sauce, whatever. Sweet potatoes are surprisingly good with red cabbage. Also, google 'sweet potato recipes' and you'll find lots of ideas. Today, I googled 'barley sweet potato recipes' and found lots of suggestions so tonight we're having chicken/barley/sweet potato soup.
  • spanglish
    spanglish Posts: 14 Member
    MegGuerard wrote: »

This.
    Or with ground turkey, carmelized onions, and salsa.
    Or with shredded carrots, roasted cauliflower and peanut sauce.
  • tephanies1234
    tephanies1234 Posts: 299 Member
    bake with chili powder, salt and then dip them in mayo like fries or Eat them mashed with maple syrup or eat them mashed with cheese/broccoli topping
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    My favorites are cube and toss in a little EVOO and garlic salt and roast them or baked plain (nothing on them because they are yummy as is). I love sweet and savory, and some of the suggestion in this thread sound so good. Will have to try some of them.
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    I use left over mashed sweet potatoes to make a quick and super tasty dessert:
    1 cup cooked mashed sweet potatoes
    1 tbsp real maple syrup
    30 g chopped walnuts.

I eat it cold but this can also be enjoyed warm.
  • fivelongmiles
    fivelongmiles Posts: 54 Member
    Sweet potato fries are my favourite.

Nando's are going to be selling sweet potato wedges from Tuesday onwards. EXCITED. :D
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Bake/cook them in the microwave (cause I eat them at work) 6tsp brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice.
  • NateMcG76
    NateMcG76 Posts: 44 Member
    Bake/microwaved then topped with Garlic & Herb Ms. Dash, some Sriracha, and nooch.
  • As anyone used can yams for any recipe?
  • SwedishSarah
    SwedishSarah Posts: 4,350 Member
    I use sweet potatoes for baked sweet potato fries and smoothies.

^I use canned sweet potato for smoothies too. Delicious!
  • JiveDoc
    JiveDoc Posts: 284 Member
    I put peanut butter on mine!
  • Jcbohman
    Jcbohman Posts: 1 Member
    I have an addiction to sweet potato fries. Only time I eat anything other than the fries is either sweet potato pie or mashed at family holiday meals. I did see a recipe on pinterest for sweet potato hummus. I may have to give that a go because I also have an addiction to hummus. Haha
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Use 1/2 of a cooked,small sweet potato in a smoothie.
  • The glycemic index of sweet potatoes doubles if you bake or roast them so, if you're diabetic, you should be aware of that. If you boil it with the skin on, GI is 43. Roast it or bake it, it jumps to 94. Anything with a GI of more than 55 is going to create a spike in blood sugar so keep the GI in mind when you prepare sweet potatoes.