1200 is really difficult

Replies

• StarlightAria
    StarlightAria Posts: 81 Member
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Then eat more food and don't set your goal to 2lb/week.
    1580 and 1830, btw, are the numbers MFP gave me right now after I created an account with your stats and selected 1lb/week. 1580 if selecting sedentary (which most people are not), and 1830 if selecting lightly active. This is without even eating back exercise calories on top of the number.

How can I tell the difference between sedentary and lightly active?

If you walk and stand at least 1-2 hours a day you're probably lightly active. I stand and walk maybe 2 hours on average max and I have to use the lightly active setting on MFP if I use neat method. Alternatively you can estimate your average activity levels on a calculator such as health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced or exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.htmland compare it to each of these two numbers. For sleeping, include any laying down you do outside of sleep. Subtract 500 calories from the number to get a comparable number to MFP.

First link gave 2160, second link gave 1900, when estimating 1hr of standing/walking (the 2nd link does not put those two together, so 1hr of walking only) and 9hrs sleeping. If you shower and cook and walk to/from your car or bus then you probably qualify as lightly active.
    At work I sort mail into bins which means standing and walking around. I do this 1-2 hrs per day, does even stationary standing and little walking count?
  • littled1986
    littled1986 Posts: 101 Member
    Not to be a paun, but if 1200 is too low mfp wouldn't give that amount. I agree that it can be too low psychologically for some that fit the stats for that number, but it's not dangerously low or anything. Now if you're not super short like us, your body obviously needs more than that.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Why do I see some of the posts as having Like a lock around them?

they in jail
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    1580 and 1830, btw, are the numbers MFP gave me right now after I created an account with your stats and selected 1lb/week. 1580 if selecting sedentary (which most people are not), and 1830 if selecting lightly active. This is without even eating back exercise calories on top of the number.

I don't see how you got these numbers. I am 5'2" and even .5 pounds per week doesn't give me 1500.
  • marinabreeze
    marinabreeze Posts: 141 Member
    Without knowing exactly what you're currently eating, my thought is this...

You may want to focus on eating more protein and vegetables, and fewer carbs. It can help you feel fuller on fewer calories. It can also help with the insulin resistance and PCOS (which I also contend with so I get it).
  • StarlightAria
    arditarose wrote: »
    Why do I see some of the posts as having Like a lock around them?

they in jail

Um why? I've never seen this before
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Not to be a paun, but if 1200 is too low mfp wouldn't give that amount. I agree that it can be too low psychologically for some that fit the stats for that number, but it's not dangerously low or anything. Now if you're not super short like us, your body obviously needs more than that.

That doesn't mean an OP has to eat that to lose weight.

We don't have to go a low as we can without being "dangerously low."

It is okay to want to lose weight while eating more than 1,200 and it is totally acceptable.

• littled1986
    maidentl wrote: »

I don't see how you got these numbers. I am 5'2" and even .5 pounds per week doesn't give me 1500.

Agreed. 1600 is maintenance for me (without exercise of course)
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Go for 1500 to 1600 by exercising for an hour...perhaps you can take in a bit more.
  • StarlightAria
    It seems my TDEE is 1933. What do I do with that?
  • littled1986

That doesn't mean an OP has to eat that to lose weight.

We don't have to go a low as we can without being "dangerously low."

It is okay to want to lose weight while eating more than 1,200 and it is totally acceptable.

Very true. Definitely eat more calories if it's easier to sustain. Although I would suggest to try it for a week then see how it feels. If you'll binge because you feel deprived then you're just undoing all of your hard work. I also think that if you're eating the right foods it helps tremendously, but overall it's the long road that's important.
  • I'm on a 1,200 calorie / day diet, too, and I feel your pain. One thing that's really helped me is walking for 30+ minutes. The longer I walk, the more calories I earn. If you have access to a treadmill, stationary bike, elliptical machine, etc, it's really helpful to watch TV while exercising (it makes you forget you're exercising). And the endorphins released by the exercise make you feel great (I can't emphasize enough the positive affect this has on one's state of mind) . If 1,200 is too low, then up your calorie count but eat lean meat and good vegetables. In my humble opinion, the type of food you eat is more important than keeping calories so low. I wish you all the best!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    I'm on a 1,200 calorie / day diet, too, and I feel your pain. One thing that's really helped me is walking for 30+ minutes. The longer I walk, the more calories I earn. If you have access to a treadmill, stationary bike, elliptical machine, etc, it's really helpful to watch TV while exercising (it makes you forget you're exercising). And the endorphins released by the exercise make you feel great (I can't emphasize enough the positive affect this has on one's state of mind) . If 1,200 is too low, then up your calorie count but eat lean meat and good vegetables. In my humble opinion, the type of food you eat is more important than keeping calories so low. I wish you all the best!

How's come you're eating 1200 calories as a male with 6 pounds to lose? Sorry, maybe too forward of a question.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    You need to eat more. There's no way you're going to be able to stick with a 1,200 calorie a day diet. I know I would starve.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

I came up with just shy of 1,800 a day, sedentary.
  • bleighb21
    bleighb21 Posts: 6 Member
    If you focus more on high protein foods even if you go over on your calorie goal you will find it a lot easier to loose the weight. Things like oats and beans are really good to help keep you full. It's more about what you're eating than how much. You can do it!

It's also really important to remember that MFP isn't an exact science. Everyone's body metabolizes differently and the numbers that work for others won't necessarily work for you. Just test the waters and you'll find the sweet spot that keeps you full and loosing weight. Good luck!!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member

How can I tell the difference between sedentary and lightly active?

If you walk and stand at least 1-2 hours a day you're probably lightly active. I stand and walk maybe 2 hours on average max and I have to use the lightly active setting on MFP if I use neat method. Alternatively you can estimate your average activity levels on a calculator such as health-calc.com/diet/energy-expenditure-advanced or exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.htmland compare it to each of these two numbers. For sleeping, include any laying down you do outside of sleep. Subtract 500 calories from the number to get a comparable number to MFP.

First link gave 2160, second link gave 1900, when estimating 1hr of standing/walking (the 2nd link does not put those two together, so 1hr of walking only) and 9hrs sleeping. If you shower and cook and walk to/from your car or bus then you probably qualify as lightly active.
    At work I sort mail into bins which means standing and walking around. I do this 1-2 hrs per day, does even stationary standing and little walking count?

Yes. Honestly I'd say just choose lightly active (which most people can probably pick by default if they work a standard job), and eat back at least half of your exercise calories. If you don't lose 1lb/week on average, and if it's significantly less than 1lb/week, then try the sedentary level instead. Give whatever goal you choose at least a month to see if it's working or not, if you are new to exercising then I'd say stick it out for 2 months to bypass initial water weight gains you might experience.
  • ana3067
    edited March 2015
    It seems my TDEE is 1933. What do I do with that?

Where did you get that number from? MFP does not do TDEE. It does NEAT, which means it does not include your exercise. And either number should be for maintenance, so you eat up to 20% or 500 calories below maintenance. Smaller deficit = slower weight loss.
  • ana3067

MFP is just a calculator. It goes to 1200 by default for 2lb/week. It's unnecessary for the majority of people who want to lose weight.
  • Posting without reading the above posts. But when did you start the metformin? Ad me I would love to be support for you.
  • StarlightAria
    Someone posted some type of calculator. Honestly I'm just confused now.