butbygrace206 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    reneewill wrote: »
    I am interested in joining. 50! :)

Absolutely :-)
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    I just joined, but I'll "visit" on here, too!

Me too!
  • DaneanP
    DaneanP Posts: 433 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm new to 50, so be gentle... ;)

I'm a native Oregonian and have been using MFP off and on for a couple of years. I had no idea there was a community because I really only logged on my phone. Nice to see such an inviting group here.

I'm a community health nurse - going on 16 years now, working with pregnant women, newborns and kiddos up to age 3 - most with disabilities. I have an 18 year old daughter and have been married 25 years this September.

My immediate goal is to drop 25 pounds (already down about 6 of those) by October. Then I will evaluate whether I am comfortable there or want to go down another 15.

My passion right now is cooking and I mostly stick with healthy recipes. I'm also a wine snob which I cannot help because I live in one of the most spectacular wine regions in the world. So if you want a recipe or a wine recommendation (especially pinot noir) I'm at your service!

And yes, I exercise for wine. :p
  • HappyTrails7
    HappyTrails7 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »

I'm a native Oregonian and have been using MFP off and on for a couple of years. I had no idea there was a community because I really only logged on my phone. Nice to see such an inviting group here.

I'm a community health nurse - going on 16 years now, working with pregnant women, newborns and kiddos up to age 3 - most with disabilities. I have an 18 year old daughter and have been married 25 years this September.

My immediate goal is to drop 25 pounds (already down about 6 of those) by October. Then I will evaluate whether I am comfortable there or want to go down another 15.

My passion right now is cooking and I mostly stick with healthy recipes. I'm also a wine snob which I cannot help because I live in one of the most spectacular wine regions in the world. So if you want a recipe or a wine recommendation (especially pinot noir) I'm at your service!

Welcome! I know what you mean about exercising for wine. :)
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    DaneanP wrote: »

Welcome !!
  • BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    For any of you that are interested, I belong to another group (Over 50 Group) which is in the groups area and not restricted to just a single thread. Check it out: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100593-over-50-group
    :)
  • HappyTrails7
    Options
    BRaye325 wrote: »
    For any of you that are interested, I belong to another group (Over 50 Group) which is in the groups area and not restricted to just a single thread. Check it out: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100593-over-50-group
    :)

Hi Braye325, I clicked on the join button, to request membership a couple days ago but haven't been accepted yet.
  • mommylern5
    mommylern5 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! Hope your all staying motivated! I did my 4 mile run today! Wooop woooop! Tomorrow is toning day
  • kezane
    kezane Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I was introduced to this by a work colleague yesterday. I am looking for all the motivation I can get. I'm 58 and finding it really hard to shift the kilos. I eat well, never eat junk and don't have much of a sweet tooth but I do like to cook and probably my portions are bigger than they should be. When I was younger I only had to think about losing weight and it would fall off. Now, it doesn't matter how much I exercise or show restraint, nothing budges. Anyone else have the same problem?
  • 607sara
    607sara Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Is there something special we have to do to join the group? Besides being over 50, lol. I've been on MFP for a couple of weeks after not really doing much with the site since I joined about 2 years ago. I really like the conversations In this group, very positive and motivational.
  • HappyTrails7
    Options
    607sara wrote: »
    Is there something special we have to do to join the group? Besides being over 50, lol. I've been on MFP for a couple of weeks after not really doing much with the site since I joined about 2 years ago. I really like the conversations In this group, very positive and motivational.

It is pretty straight forward to join the group, go to the following:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/104713-fifty-plus-or-so-support-group

From there you should be able to click "Join", if not let me know and I will send you an invite.
  • 607sara
    607sara Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It worked. Thanks!!!
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    kezane wrote: »
    Hi,

I was introduced to this by a work colleague yesterday. I am looking for all the motivation I can get. I'm 58 and finding it really hard to shift the kilos. I eat well, never eat junk and don't have much of a sweet tooth but I do like to cook and probably my portions are bigger than they should be. When I was younger I only had to think about losing weight and it would fall off. Now, it doesn't matter how much I exercise or show restraint, nothing budges. Anyone else have the same problem?

I've read if you don't have much to lose it comes off VERY slowly. I have quite a bit to lose and its averaging about 2 pounds a week. Just started exercising though.
  • sylviajackson23
    sylviajackson23 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Well done on 4 mile run that fantastic
  • mommylern5
    mommylern5 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Well done on 4 mile run that fantastic

Thank you Sylvia :-)
  • butbygrace206
    Options
    mommylern5 wrote: »
    Hey everyone! Hope your all staying motivated! I did my 4 mile run today! Wooop woooop! Tomorrow is toning day

Great job on 4 miles. Have fun toning today. I may get some of that in also :)
  • jloeffler651
    jloeffler651 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Going to be 53 need to lose 15 more pounds and start going to the gym like I did 10 years ago. After seeing a couple of my relative close to my age have strokes and heart attacks, it figured it's time to start getting in better shape. Please count me in and add me as your friend
  • beachgal0626
    beachgal0626 Posts: 1,910 Member
    Options
    Going to be 53 need to lose 15 more pounds and start going to the gym like I did 10 years ago. After seeing a couple of my relative close to my age have strokes and heart attacks, it figured it's time to start getting in better shape. Please count me in and add me as your friend

I hear ya -- heart disease runs in my family, as well, and I've let my exercise routine slack off -- but, no more! Welcome!
  • butbygrace206
    Options

Welcome , I just recently began exercising. Have way more than 15 pounds to lose though :)
  • klm62505
    klm62505 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Just joined - keep losing the same three pounds - don't they know there's 25 other ones that need to be lost as well? I'm one of those people who never had a weight problem (I am 5ft 8 in tall and weighed 125 until about three years ago, blessed with a super metabolism) until I quit smoking and began the dreaded menopause. NOW I know what my mother complained about! I slip and backslide but have a fitbit zip and try to walk 10,000 steps a day (approximately 5 miles, which can be difficult with a desk job) and log my food. Sometimes I go over and gain, sometimes I lose. The losing is finally becoming more common than the gaining (even though it's the same three pounds!) since I'm slowly realizing I can't eat like I used to without weight gain! I miss that wonderful metabolism of my youth! I'm learning, it's a long, slow process but I will get this! You know, until someone puts out the chips and dip and I eat it all. :blush: