"Cheese is not meant for human consumption"

Someone just said this to me. I love hard cheese. But I also love a lot of things this person doesn't, as they avoid entire food groups including dairy. I also love research/studies. So... discuss.

Why is cheese meant or not meant for human consumption?
What studies are available that I can review on this topic?

Thanks. :)

Replies

• JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Are they vegan?
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Are they vegan?

Nope. Not vegan or vegetarian.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Someone just said this to me.

"Someone" is dumb. Cheese is proof of God's love for mankind. It's just so ...wonderful....

• KameHameHaaaa
    newmeadow wrote: »
    How anyone could get anything that smells like that past their nose and into their mouth and then chew it and swallow it is truly a human mystery.

I've never eaten cheese in my life. Aside from a very occasional slice of pizza where the smell and taste of the cheese is disguised by the pork toppings and the tomato sauce. And even still, it skeeves me a little.

I understand the personal opinion because of the smell. I won't eat okra because of the smell. :)

But, opinions aside, I just want information as to why it's bad for human consumption LOL.
  • blazterx
    blazterx Posts: 10 Member
    What is it meant for then? Painting a picture?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Neither is seaweed, but people still eat it.
  • therealklane
    therealklane Posts: 2,172 Member
    Blasphemy. Cheese is delicious.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »
    Someone just said this to me.

"Someone" is dumb. Cheese is proof of God's love for mankind. It's just so ...wonderful....

IKR!! I love cheese. And I'm never gonna give it up

...Never gonna let it down..

...Wait...
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    i like cheese.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    edited March 2015
    She is probably referring to the fact that cows produce milk to feed their babies, like all mammals. Not so adult humans can make the baby into veal and then suck at mama cow's teats....
  • KameHameHaaaa
    blazterx wrote: »
    What is it meant for then? Painting a picture?

I dunno about painting WITH cheese, but paintings OF cheese.... <3

zh9t508o1ve5.jpg

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    What else would it be meant for? Home décor?
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    How is it not meant for human consumption? How far back should we go before something is considered natural or unnatural for humans? I would argue that some foods are more recent so technically more in the realm of 'not meant for human consumption' than cheese. The earliest guesses for when cheese was first made go back to about 8000 BC, the same as bread. So is bread not meant for human consumption, too? Bread, milk and cheese are some of the earliest foods civilized humans made! What about fish that live in the middle of the ocean and were not able to be caught until the last few hundred years?

I'm really not seeing your friend's point, or what they have against delicious (and healthy, if it fits your calories/macros...hello calcium!) food.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    What else would it be meant for? Home décor?

You could stack the wheels to make a coffee table, like in Skyrim.

• Docbanana2002
    herrspoons wrote: »
    She is probably referring to the fact that cows produce milk to feed their babies, like all mammals. Not so adult humans can make the baby into veal and then suck at mama cow's teats....

What?

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or actually confused. Assuming the latter, let me spell it out: Cheese is made from the milk of a cow (or goat). Cows don't make milk for humans, not willingly anyway. They produce it for their babies. The dairy industry operates by taking away the baby to slaughter or other uses and taking the milk for us humans.

Milk (and yogurt, cheese, other things we make from milk) is meant for baby cows. Not adult humans.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    There are studies citing that calcium may inhibit iron adsorption and that dairy consumption can actually pull calcium from the bones to stabilize blood pH. With all of the conflicting nutrition info out there, who knows.
  • Docbanana2002
    Whether humans are capable of enjoying the taste... or capable of digesting it...or powerful enough over cows to steal it... is a different question from whether milk and milk products are MEANT for us. They are meant for the babies of the animals that produce them.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    But, opinions aside, I just want information as to why it's bad for human consumption LOL.

But...it's not bad for human consumption, so you're asking for something that doesn't exist.