• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    herrspoons wrote: »
    How anyone could get anything that smells like that past their nose and into their mouth and then chew it and swallow it is truly a human mystery.

I've never eaten cheese in my life. Aside from a very occasional slice of pizza where the smell and taste of the cheese is disguised by the pork toppings and the tomato sauce. And even still, it skeeves me a little.

Because it tastes awesome.

That's so wrong. It smells like extreme body odor. When it's a person, that smell is considered SOCIALLY DISGRACEFUL. When it's cheese that smell says LET'S EAT. :grey_question:

I find the smell of cheddar surprisingly erotic.

So many people say that. It must be some visceral pre historic thing.

You can't hang around with people who smell like cheese and then accuse other posters of being cavemen. Come on now.

I would really struggle to hit my fat macro if it wasn't for cheese. I don't eat enough nuts or oils or fatty meats and have at least one serving of cheese every day.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    What else would it be meant for? Home décor?
    You could stack the wheels to make a coffee table, like in Skyrim.

cheesuswearewheelingwiththesameproblemoverhere_686f9d33265169ffd2544bde6b37125e.jpg

You can never have enough cheese wheels....

I can feel my computer grinding to a halt just looking at that.
  • tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Imagine if you based your dietary decisions on things they don't like eating... I am lactose intolerant but totally understand why people eat dairy.

I eat kimchi. And squid. And grasshoppers. And raw meat and fish (sushi and tartare). And sauerkraut. And miso. And tofu. And anchovies. And ox tail. I do not like liver but I'm ok with kidney.

Eat what you like. Do your homework and draw your own lines. If someone gives you grief about it then maybe consider they are not that pleasant to be around and decide if it's worth your while...
  • TomZot
    TomZot Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    This.
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »
    Someone just said this to me.

"Someone" is dumb. Cheese is proof of God's love for mankind. It's just so ...wonderful....

• KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    tycho_mx wrote: »
    Imagine if you based your dietary decisions on things they don't like eating... I am lactose intolerant but totally understand why people eat dairy.

I eat kimchi. And squid. And grasshoppers. And raw meat and fish (sushi and tartare). And sauerkraut. And miso. And tofu. And anchovies. And ox tail. I do not like liver but I'm ok with kidney.

Eat what you like. Do your homework and draw your own lines. If someone gives you grief about it then maybe consider they are not that pleasant to be around and decide if it's worth your while...

Ha, I love all those things plus liver. ;) And yep, making this post was part of my homework! :D

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    She is probably referring to the fact that cows produce milk to feed their babies, like all mammals. Not so adult humans can make the baby into veal and then suck at mama cow's teats....

What?

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or actually confused. Assuming the latter, let me spell it out: Cheese is made from the milk of a cow (or goat). Cows don't make milk for humans, not willingly anyway. They produce it for their babies. The dairy industry operates by taking away the baby to slaughter or other uses and taking the milk for us humans.

Milk (and yogurt, cheese, other things we make from milk) is meant for baby cows. Not adult humans.

You forgot to add "in my opinion" at the end.

Milk and dairy products have been a staple foods for humans for thousands of years, just because it offends your vegan sensibilities doesn't make it wrong for the rest of us......

• evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I never really understand this whole "meant to" thing. People weren't "meant" to fly either but your friend has probably been in an airplane.

right?? people will say "no animal on earth drinks the milk of another animal." and i'll counter with the whole "yeah, no other animal on earth invented cars either."

"And no other animal cooks their food" is how I normally reply
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmm cheese
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Whether humans are capable of enjoying the taste... or capable of digesting it...or powerful enough over cows to steal it... is a different question from whether milk and milk products are MEANT for us. They are meant for the babies of the animals that produce them.
    a0823f7c_Oh-Boy-here-we-go-again.jpg

In for the inevitable arguing.

OT: I don't know of any unbiased, scientific studies stating that cheese is "bad" for human consumption (allergies excluded).

Pretty sure there is a study that "shows" eating cheese causes a higher risk of getting cancer, or some other speculatory disease. and then another study that if we have one glass a day, we will live longer...oh. whoops. Sorry. News presents those studies about once a week. Sometimes I mix them up.
  • ldhudsonjr
    ldhudsonjr Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I also enjoy cheese, but if you're looking to see the opposite point of view (and it sounds like you are) watch "Forks over Knives" or google "The China Study"
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Whether humans are capable of enjoying the taste... or capable of digesting it...or powerful enough over cows to steal it... is a different question from whether milk and milk products are MEANT for us. They are meant for the babies of the animals that produce them.

You could then argue that no food is MEANT for us. Those strawberries? They're there for birds and small mammals to eat, because they then poop out the seeds to make more strawberry plants. The wheat in that bread? Same thing, it's actually meant for small mammals. The yeast in bread? Not meant for us either, just something that wants to multiply. Seeds, like sunflower seeds? Their purpose is to fall to the ground to make more sunflowers. Even if you argue that eating fruit could be for us because we defecate too (though no longer onto the ground) seeds can't survive if we chew them, which we do for sunflower seeds and things like pomegranate.
    I think that any food that we can eat that doesn't kill us can be meant for us.

Exactly. That's what it means to be an omnivore. We're just particularly clever omnivores who have worked out how to make other foods from the ones nature provided.

Also, cheese is awesome. And as someone of Dutch descent, I will argue till my dying breath that I am genetically adapted to eat lots of it.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Forks over Knives is basically propaganda and The China Study has been widely discredited.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-china-study-revisited/
    http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Forks_Over_Knives
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Strange statement. Only humans make cheese, I'm guessing they intended to eat it. A good way to store calories wihtout spoilage. Consider when it was invented and calories were not always available.

We are fortunate to live in a time when there is always enough food to become fat.
  • turbosad
    turbosad Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Cheese is meant to go with wine. :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Someone just said this to me. I love hard cheese. But I also love a lot of things this person doesn't, as they avoid entire food groups including dairy. I also love research/studies. So... discuss.

Why is cheese meant or not meant for human consumption?
    What studies are available that I can review on this topic?

Thanks. :)

So... if my dog could type he might post that cheese is meant for dogs. He thinks that is true for most foods humans eat but has not published a study backing up his claim.
    Pretty sure cheese was always meant to be eaten by people since the first cheese was made.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    the only cheese not meant for human consumption is Kraft singles.

i happen to like kraft singles. dont be a hater!
  • kimsko2010
    kimsko2010 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I love cheese. It is protein. I am a big fan of cheese sticks of any kind. At 45-100 calories each, they are yummy, quick to eat, and I feel like they are a good snack if you have one or two. A lot of people are anti dairy, for a variety of reasons. Personally, I like dairy, and I weighed just as much when I didn't eat it at all.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    So... if my dog could type he might post that cheese is meant for dogs. He thinks that is true for most foods humans eat but has not published a study backing up his claim.

Especially if it is Cheeze Wiz. Oooh. Our pack refers to it as "Crack Wiz" cuz' it's so addictive. Too bad we gotta depend on Monkey Boy to work the nozzle.

Now I'm jonesing for a hit on a Nylabone. "Hey Monkey Boy get over here!"