No Grain...No Pain!!!

Options

Replies

• heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Welcome CALIECAT! 89 years old? Wow I wish I have your motivation if I reach that age!

Just back from a weekend away at the beach (see the Paleo group) for pix ... it was a weekend of treats and funs! We ate huge T-bones, shrimps and langostinos mmm! Even found out that I can now buy clothes in the shoppes here! I'm offically NOT size 56F - US 26 .... but a 46F - US 16!

And according to this weeks challenge I did track all my eating ...
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    i want in on this group. I will be working towards 100 grams of carbs a day and if all goes well will try to go lower.

Name:Marie
    Kids: 3
    Pets: 1
    Married/SO: maried for 54 years/
    Eating Lifestyle: low carbs
    Starting weight: 204
    Goal Weight: 160
    Goals for this 8 wks: lose 10lbs ln 8 weeks

This is a coections I am 80 years of age not 89. Hit the wrong key.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    Had a cheat day on Saturday - Nacho's for dinner :embarassed: but I knew it was a cheat and made up for it with a proper day yesterday. FWIW, the nacho's were overcooked and the cheese was hard... so it sucked hard and cured me of that craving. It think I was just craving the idea of melted cheese, Jalapeno's, Salsa, guacamole and shredded chicken. I could have made it myself nacho-less.
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Had a cheat day on Saturday - Nacho's for dinner :embarassed: but I knew it was a cheat and made up for it with a proper day yesterday. FWIW, the nacho's were overcooked and the cheese was hard... so it sucked hard and cured me of that craving. It think I was just craving the idea of melted cheese, Jalapeno's, Salsa, guacamole and shredded chicken. I could have made it myself nacho-less.

I had a cheat day too, the cheat tasted horrible ... but look at the up side you will think twice next time. Trish posted a great tortilla chip recipe ... why don't you make your own.

80 or 89! I say BRAVO dear for your efforts!
  • SMJohnson27
    SMJohnson27 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm still hanging in there but this has proven to be a difficult lifestyle change for me. I am so used to a low-fat high-carb diet it is hard to change my whole mindset. Especially during the week it is so much easier to grab a yogurt and a lean cuisine than make something primal/paleo/low carb.

Can you all please share what you do for work/school lunches? Do you have any quick and easy ideas? I work for 12 hour shifts so I usually take breakfast (I work at 6 am and can't eat at home beforehand -- too early), lunch, and an afternoon snack. Those are usually greek yogurt/oats/fruit, a lean cuisine/cheese stick/orange, and some type of protein/energy bar. I am looking for healthy substitutions.

I just started meal planning for my hubby's breakfasts. Last month, I started making an extra serving of dinner for his lunches, because he was limited to vending machine sandwiches-not only unhealthy, but he said they were disgusting and over-priced. Now he has a filling lunch everday. But last Friday, my youngest told him,that him and I eat bacon and eggs for breakfast everyday, and he was jealous. So, I picked up an extra dozen and a half of eggs and a package of bacon and made him a egg, cheese, veggie frittata with bacon on the side. He doesn't have time to microwave anything at work, other than lunch time, but now I package it and he pops it in the micro before he walks out the door and eats it on his way to work. His usually breakfast was poptarts and rice krispie treats, so he likes this better! I make two frittatas (8 servings) on Sunday to last all week. The frittata and bacon heats in 30 seconds and tastes as good reheated. I will be picking up beef jerky and cheese sticks for him too.

I just now considered the boys' school breakfasts and lunches. I never realized how many carbs and sugars are in the stuff they eat everyday. Cereal, bagels, toast, danishes, pancakes, french toast, biscuits, hash browns, waffles, poptarts, etc. Not much different with lunches either. But the school year is almost over, so I have all summer to plan for them next year. My youngest is a special needs child and has done so well (complete 180, yay) since going primal, so I am going to make sure he continues, even at school (as those are two of his three big meals).

WELCOME TO ALL THOSE WHO JUST JOINED!! :flowerforyou:

Nikole- So glad you had a nice weekend! T-bones and shrimp sounds really good right now! And congrats on the clothes sizes!!

So sorry Kim:blushing: , Haven't been on much to log food and exercise, we have been pretty busy with end of the year school stuff, the gym, yard work and enjoying the nice weather with the boys. I have been doing well though.
  • DebRives
    DebRives Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Welcome new folks!!

and Marie! you rock!!! I am so impressed with your effort! It is never too late to be healthy! and no such thing as too old!

Well Y'ALL, I did awesome this weekend!!! I'm down a full five pounds from my weight in at work thursday. I know that's it's mostly water weight b/c I've been eating clean for the last several days, but hey, I'll take it! and that five pounds was me weighing with bluejeans on this morning verses the lightest clothes i could find that i wore for weigh in thursday! lol I really think I have this contest!!!

Stephanie, sounds like your doing a great job getting your family to eat healthy. and it's okay if your not logging b/c obviously you don't have a problem sticking to it. I do! so i love the challenge of logging everyday, it really helps keep me accountable!
    and i too am amazed in what schools feed kids, it's horrible, not to mention all the foods that are "aimed" at kids. nothing but sugar and starchy carbs. no wonder kids don't like vegetables.

Thanks everyone for telling me how horrible cheating was for you :) just the motivation i need! lol
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I need some motivation, I was strong for two weeks but I knew I was going to splurge at a wedding this weekend-cake and wine. I haven't gotten to the store and already things are falling apart for me, cookie for breakfast, nothing here for lunch...
    I really need to get it together on Sundays and make a crustless quiche to snack on for breakfast and get some lunch stuff lined up-salads and protein. this week I have busy evenings but I can usually do pretty good.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday, all!

Today I am starting to track my food again. Haven't had much luck losing without doing so. My ratio is 10/30/60. This week I'm experiment with keeping my fat intake high and see if that helps me lose more. I'm also paying more attention to my net carbs too. Anyone else do that?

I have one huge weakness, and that's red wine. I have it every weekend. I know that's probably hurting my weightloss too. But come one! I gave up grains, I can't give that up too. Life would really not be worth living at that point. Lol.

I have a really good breakfast idea for folks that are sick of eggs. Here's what I had this morning:

Paleo Muesli

2 tbls Almonds
    1 tbls Walnuts
    1/2 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes (you can freeze so they are crunchy)
    1/2 - 1 scoop of protein powder
    1 cup of coconut milk or almond milk
    1 tbls flax seed
    1 tbls dark chocolate

It's so yummy and holds me until lunch.

Hope everyone has a good day!!!
  • SOOZIE429
    Options
    I need some motivation, I was strong for two weeks but I knew I was going to splurge at a wedding this weekend-cake and wine. I haven't gotten to the store and already things are falling apart for me, cookie for breakfast, nothing here for lunch...
    I really need to get it together on Sundays and make a crustless quiche to snack on for breakfast and get some lunch stuff lined up-salads and protein. this week I have busy evenings but I can usually do pretty good.

Actually what motivates me is being afraid to eat grains and sugar. I have no idea how my body will react now that I haven't eaten that stuff for 46 days (but who's counting). I picture myself being violently ill, so I don't eat it.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the Muesli recipe, sounds good! What about the protein powder, though, doesn't it just fall to the bottom?
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options

Actually what motivates me is being afraid to eat grains and sugar. I have no idea how my body will react now that I haven't eaten that stuff for 46 days (but who's counting). I picture myself being violently ill, so I don't eat it.

love what you said. this is how i pictured it. grains/sugar are drugs.....i'm going through rehab. it ain't easy, i'm going to want to relapse, it's going to suck sometimes, but when i finally get clean, it's going to all be worth it!! if i mess up even a little bit, it's going to start me all the way over. I will be off of sugar/grains for real this time.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody and welcome to all the new comers. I have already walked 3.6 miles today at work. When I get to the gym this evening I think I am going to just stretch and hit the weights tonight. Who needs more cardio???? I am averaging about 4-6 miles per day walking around the job site.

I had an amazing lunch, leftovers from last nights amazing pork roast. I ate a bit of meat with all of the fat on the top of the roast. It was slightly carmelized and sticky and so full of flavor.

It filled me right on up. I am trying to do about 4 or 5 days of mostly meat and fat due to my TOM coming on out of the blue........having a hormone challenge in my body so I am going to let it straighten itself right on out. I won't eat too many carbs because that will just delay the hormonal healing taking place in the body right now.
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    I'm still hanging in there but this has proven to be a difficult lifestyle change for me. I am so used to a low-fat high-carb diet it is hard to change my whole mindset. Especially during the week it is so much easier to grab a yogurt and a lean cuisine than make something primal/paleo/low carb.

Can you all please share what you do for work/school lunches? Do you have any quick and easy ideas? I work for 12 hour shifts so I usually take breakfast (I work at 6 am and can't eat at home beforehand -- too early), lunch, and an afternoon snack. Those are usually greek yogurt/oats/fruit, a lean cuisine/cheese stick/orange, and some type of protein/energy bar. I am looking for healthy substitutions.

For work lunches (i luckily have a fridge in our breakroom. there's a micro too, but i don't use that much)- I'll being things like a bug tupperware full of spinach and chicken breast (i'll cook and slice up the chicken the night before, so it's cold for my salad in the morning), or I'll just take a baggie with macadamias and almonds and some veggies, like a green pepper. Hard boiled eggs and cheese sticks are an easy go to. Also, I pack "breadless sandwiches", instead of a sandwich, I just toss all the stuff I would have put between the bread in a little tupperware thing. A few slices of meat, some cheese, a bit of lettuce and some other sliced veg, and I'm good to go. And almond butter on celery is another easy to pack snack or side!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I did the following for the week:

Made home made mayo
    Grilled 10 chicken breasts for salads and chicken salad
    cut up celery, radishes, peppers and made carrot sticks.
    Washed and chopped up 3 head of romaine lettuce
    Washed and cleaned leaves of a 4th romaine lettuce
    Made chicken salad with the home made mayo and chicken breasts
    Made a pork roast
    Made a beef roast
    Boiled 3 dozen eggs
    Made home made paleo banana bread for my husband
    Cleaned strawberries, washed apples and pears for my husband

We put chicken salad in celery and also almond butter
    We roll up chicken salad, roast meat in lettuce leaves
    Sometimes we eat just the meat.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options

Made home made mayo
    Made a pork roast
    Made a beef roast
    Boiled 3 dozen eggs

I LOVE chicken salad. It's delicious on it's own :) You did SO much yesterday! 3-dozen eggs! Wow. I eat like 3 eggs a week. I love your profile pic by the way. I really want a rottweiler puppy. I have a full grown girl.
  • SOOZIE429
    Options
    Thanks for the Muesli recipe, sounds good! What about the protein powder, though, doesn't it just fall to the bottom?

Nope. I just stir it right in with the milk.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options

First of all... I'm not like a lot of the other low-carbers. I eat quite a few carbs but far fewer then I have in the past! I'm working on limiting carbs from grains. I still eat lots of fruit. So my suggestions might not be helpful to you?

For lunch today I had a spinach salad with strawberries, pecan pieces, feta cheese, and poppy seed dressing with carrots on the side. Still like 20g. of carbs there but all from fruit and veggies!

I recently found larabars- they are SO good! They all have 5 or less ingredients! They are made with dates as a base... full of fruits - so still high in carbs and sugar but it's the good stuff :)

All my other snack ideas have been mentioned!
  • SOOZIE429
    Options

Made home made mayo
    Made a pork roast
    Made a beef roast
    Boiled 3 dozen eggs

I LOVE chicken salad. It's delicious on it's own :) You did SO much yesterday! 3-dozen eggs! Wow. I eat like 3 eggs a week. I love your profile pic by the way. I really want a rottweiler puppy. I have a full grown girl.

Wow! Impressive and motivating! Can you share your mayo recipe??
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Is tomorrow WI day??