Irritated!

Options

Replies

• jigglyjessica
    jigglyjessica Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, opening your diary would help people get a better idea of how to help
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    You're 5'4" and trying to lose weight by eating 1,700 calories?! That's more than I'm eating and you could chop off my head and shoulders and I would still be taller than you. Try eating less and you're sure to lose weight.

NO. I'm 5'6", and eat between 1800-2200 calories each day, depending upon exercise and am consistently losing 1.5# per week.

Her calorie goals are fine.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    You're 5'4" and trying to lose weight by eating 1,700 calories?! That's more than I'm eating and you could chop off my head and shoulders and I would still be taller than you. Try eating less and you're sure to lose weight.

Terrible advice.
    Ignore this.
  • alyciamoyer5
    Options
    Why is weight loss important?
    Can you give some info?
    Weight
    Appx body fat%

Maybe I can help you understand.
    It's important because I want to look sexy naked. What of it? I'm 5"4, 181.8, 20 years old, and I don't know bfp..

Okay perfect.
    The defensive tone isnt necessary since I'm nonjudgmental.
    What's the best goal weight for you in 6 months?
    Recommendations are between 6-10% body weight reduction.

I was just kidding. I would like to be at 160 lbs.

Okay so 160 x13=2080 or 2100.
    I know its hard to believe but eating 70% of your calories as unprocessed or close to unprocessed as possible, and the other 30% as whatever you like, you should naturally lose weight at 2000-2100/day.
    Focus on resistance training.
    Walk daily and shoot for 10k steps.
    Optimize sleep as best you can.
    Understand that it takes time to resume balanced hormones after giving birth and its easier once hormones are all at optimal levels.
    Undereating and over training will further set you back.
    Thank you so much!

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Hormones do take a while to get back to normal after a baby. I've had 2 and didn't even try to lose weight until at least 6months out with both. However, I'm 5'4 and 188 and to lose 1.5lbs a week MFP puts me at 1200. Of course, I'm a lot older than you at 36. I do eat back my exercise calories which probably puts me near 1500-1700 daily. On my rest day....I only eat the 1200 unless I have calories banked from another day.

Maybe lower yourself by 100 - 200 calories a day and see if that makes a difference.
  • alyciamoyer5
    Options
    Everything is entered accurately. VERDICT: BUY A FOOD SCALE!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    if you are not weighing your food on a scale, you are (more than likely) eating much more than you THINK you are.

which would explain why you are not losing weight.

until you are consistently and accurately weighing your food, none of our tips will help. You have to know what you are truly taking in, in order for us to help.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I would purchase a digital food scale and use it for one week without making any changes to your intake.

Weigh and log every bite that goes into your mouth and for one week prepare as many of your own meals as possible (reduce restaurant frequency).

The purpose of this is to get a full week of being as accurate as you possibly can with regards to intake tracking.

See what happens in that time.

Note that this doesn't mean that your CURRENT calorie and macronutrient intake is ideal, but this is a good starting point to get an accurate assessment of what calories are coming in.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Not breast feeding.
    I had my baby 8 weeks ago.
    I do Not weigh my food.. Should I?

there is your problem right there. You are underestimating calories.

get a food scale and weigh/log/measure everything for two to three weeks.

• Helloitsdan
    Options

Terrible advice.
    Ignore this.
    SideSteel wrote: »
    I would purchase a digital food scale and use it for one week without making any changes to your intake.

Weigh and log every bite that goes into your mouth and for one week prepare as many of your own meals as possible (reduce restaurant frequency).

The purpose of this is to get a full week of being as accurate as you possibly can with regards to intake tracking.

See what happens in that time.

Note that this doesn't mean that your CURRENT calorie and macronutrient intake is ideal, but this is a good starting point to get an accurate assessment of what calories are coming in.

Excellent advice from the great SS.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

Whether you buy a food scale or not, you'll have to eat less than you're eating now, if you want to lose weight. All a food scale does for you is make you more aware of your portion sizes.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,698 Member
    Options

Err: she exercises every day, is a new mom, may or may not be breastfeeding...

1700 calories are below 25% below TDEE at her goal (not starting) weight... even if she takes a day off from exercise!

Even at 2000-2200 she should be losing a good lb a week.
  • Selah722
    Selah722 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 5, 175# and I'm losing 1.5 lbs a week and I can only have 1200 calories a day. ( and being a cook I've weighed/portioned food for over three years... I thought i was good at "guestamating" my calories and once I actually started weighing them I realized even I was under guessing it.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options

Whether you buy a food scale or not, you'll have to eat less than you're eating now, if you want to lose weight. All a food scale does for you is make you more aware of your portion sizes.

No.
    Stop Tim.
    Srs

• jigglyjessica
    jigglyjessica Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Never asked what activity level you chose on here. I'm 5'7 330 and my calorie limit is 1800 so maybe something is off? It sounded like you had success with that calorie limit before though
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Oh!!! About IF, probably not a good idea to go beyond 12-14hrs.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It actually states that I should be eating 1710. I thought I was doing it right..

I suppose, if you're only aiming for half a pound loss per week, it might give you that number. But considering the amount of weight you need to lose, I would expect you to be aiming for at least a pound per week and maybe two. At two pounds per week, it would give you a number of 1200, since that's the lower limit.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    It actually states that I should be eating 1710. I thought I was doing it right..

I suppose, if you're only aiming for half a pound loss per week, it might give you that number. But considering the amount of weight you need to lose, I would expect you to be aiming for at least a pound per week and maybe two. At two pounds per week, it would give you a number of 1200, since that's the lower limit.

Why would you expect that?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

the food scale is going to allow her to know how many calories she is actually consuming. So if she is underestimating portions and really eating 2000 instead of 1700, which would be why no gain. So yes, she will be eating less than right now, but she won't have to follow your advise to just blindly cut 25% additional calories with no other information ...

the food scale will allow her to know that she is eating to the right number of calories...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Tim, you should eat more.