Things that aren't worth the calories........

Options

Replies

• HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Ah... speaking of salads that don't stack up. CROUTONS. Get those effing croutons off my salad.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I cant really think of anything.... I guess if given a choice between this or that, Id be able to say which one is worth it in relation to the other. But just as a matter of...out of all foods, what would I never eat again because its not worth the calories...there really arent any.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Anything from Tim Hortons...I just can't bring myself to eat anything there. Not only is it gross, but it's gone in a flash. I've cut my starbucks out, I get it once in a blue moon, now my "go to" is steeped tea with 1 sweetener from Tim's instead of a venti soy chai latte lol.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    CrabNebula wrote: »
    I had a big *kitten* jelly filled donut about a month ago from a local bakery that is known for this particular donut. I ate it, thought it was ok, found out it had 700 calories and was sick about it. No way was it worth 700 calories. Plus I was super hungry again an hour later.

Yeah, I've been there. I ate two donuts from Top Pot and was at 1100 calories. I crapped my pants when I saw that. I hit the trails of several hours after that mistake.

I still eat 500+ cal donuts, but maybe only once every 2-3 months after I have fit them into my budget. My family goes out and chooses different kinds and we cut them into quarters so we can try a bunch of different kinds. Strangely enough it always makes you feel like you have eaten more than you have or you feel more satisfied than just eating one variety of single donut.

Do you live in Seattle?

In the general Puget Sound area, yeah.

I had a house in Capitol Hill for a while. Love that place...didnt realize they had so many cafes. I think the Top Pot donuts are worth it, btw

They supply to a lot of QFC bakeries, so that is where I got my calorie bombs from.

I also like Frost, but they are quite expensive, both in terms of money and calories. Worth it though on the two or three times a year I stop by.
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    mummma wrote: »
    full fat coke
    Coke doesn't have any fat in it.

Bravo detective!

How many more people need to point this one out? What's the over under on how many more coke-correcting posts we'll get?
    Yeah because I'm the only one that doesn't read the entire thread word for word I'm going to say at least two people per page.

well i edited it to 'non diet soda' is that any better?! i mean we dont even call it soda here so how am i supposed to know
    Is it called pop? That's what the weirdo northerners call it here.

no we tend to just call it by its name or brand i guess. coke, lemonade, dr pepper that kinda thing
  • beachhouse758
    beachhouse758 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    this stupid salad I got at Glory days one time, wasn't even very tasty and when I logged it it was like 1200 calories, how do you even come up with 1200 calories worth of not tastyness!?!? Now I know better.....

Yeah, those types of salads just piss me off. It is shocking to read the nutritional value of most chain restaurant salads to find out that the great majority have well over 1,000 calories per serving.

For a salad!

Before, I tried to go for the salad thinking I was making the best choice when eating out. But as it turns out they are often unsatisfying and ridiculously high in calories. What gives?!?

Now, I almost away treat myself to a small steak (not standing rib roast, lol) and for a side I get veggies with no oil or butter, which I love anyway.

• HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Ah... speaking of salads that don't stack up. CROUTONS. Get those effing croutons off my salad.
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    wine?!?!? wine is not worth the calories? da *kitten*?
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Bread and rice. They're massively filling (but not sustaining) and has a ton of cals in it.

Everything else is totally worth it.
  • Juskiyah
    Juskiyah Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'd have to agree wine IS worth the calories! :)
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    kids.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    full fat coke

Bravo detective!

How many more people need to point this one out? What's the over under on how many more coke-correcting posts we'll get?
    Yeah because I'm the only one that doesn't read the entire thread word for word I'm going to say at least two people per page.

well i edited it to 'non diet soda' is that any better?! i mean we dont even call it soda here so how am i supposed to know

Canadian here, definitely call it pop! Didn't realize this was different till we went to Florida and the guy mocked us for calling it pop.

OH sorry, SEEEWWWDAAAH.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    For me - commercially made pastries/cookies (like Oreos, pop tarts, boxed donuts) are not worth it. They always taste disappointing, stale, and underwhelming. If I'm going to have pastries/cookies (which I often do), I want them to be homemade or from a really good bakery.

Also, I'll pass on the fat free cheese, sour cream, ice cream, etc - they still have plenty of calories. I figure I may as well have 30-40 more calories and enjoy the better taste, texture, and satiety of the full-fat versions.

Peanut Butter. I just don't love it enough to waste 180 calories on a couple small tablespoons. I'd rather have a handful of salt & vinegar almonds or coconut cashews.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    lilRicki wrote: »
    Anything from Tim Hortons...I just can't bring myself to eat anything there. Not only is it gross, but it's gone in a flash. I've cut my starbucks out, I get it once in a blue moon, now my "go to" is steeped tea with 1 sweetener from Tim's instead of a venti soy chai latte lol.
    Their new thai chicken soup is delish.
  • spngnetwork
    spngnetwork Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I know now that fast food is not worth the calories, and to think that all those years of burgers and fries made me who I was :smile: . Working twice as hard to lose all the pounds accumulated from years of the drive thru diet.
  • Krock83
    Krock83 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    triciab79 wrote: »
    In general its kinda silly to drink your calories when you are trying to lose weight. You don't get as many as you are used to so you already feel deprived, and you just won't get that full feeling from a coke. The same goes for candy, plus these items have high sugar counts and sugar just makes you want more food. Controlling cravings by not deliberately making yourself hungry is just the smart way to go. If you avoid your own trigger foods for a while you will find your taste changes and you like the healthier options.

^^
    This! I always felt like cutting out caloric drinks was the easiest change for me to make.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I was just having this discussion with my friends. what do you think isn't worth the calories.

we came up with. non diet soda, nutella, cadburys cream eggs, wine, energy drinks, anything with full fat milk, McDonalds milkshakes...

edited: coke because some people cant get their head around the English 'full fat coke' thing

also this is what people have decided its not worth spending their calorie allowance on. none of it is wrong. each to their own. its just a conversation.

Clearly, you've never had an Egg Nog shake from McDonald's. Zomg... so worth every calorie. Wine is also definitely worth the calories.

I do agree with most drinks with calories not being worth it though.

I hardly ever eat sweets as it is, so they aren't worth the calories to me unless I'm going through a serious sweet tooth battle, and then it's Twix, or Ice Cream. Full fat milk ice cream, cheese, and soups are so worth the calories though.

Oils aren't generally worth the calories to me, and neither are nuts even though I really enjoy both of those things. I don't typically spend a lot of my allowance on very junky foods anymore like cheese balls, or non-baked potato chips. Most of my "not worth it" calories come in the form of condiments like mayo, ketchup, mustard, relish, sour cream, etc.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    full fat coke

Bravo detective!

Canadian here, definitely call it pop! Didn't realize this was different till we went to Florida and the guy mocked us for calling it pop.

OH sorry, SEEEWWWDAAAH.

hahaha, agreed, it's POP!

My "not-worth-it" items are Starbucks' Chai lattes (tasty but I'm not wasting a quarter/third of my daily calories on one. I tend to avoid pasta because I like to have big servings of it so the calories add up quickly. As well as perogies. I'll eat the odd one or two (had two as a "treat" in my lunch today) but I won't make them a main part of my meals.