"Cheese is not meant for human consumption"

Options

Replies

• MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    She is probably referring to the fact that cows produce milk to feed their babies, like all mammals. Not so adult humans can make the baby into veal and then suck at mama cow's teats....

What?

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or actually confused. Assuming the latter, let me spell it out: Cheese is made from the milk of a cow (or goat). Cows don't make milk for humans, not willingly anyway. They produce it for their babies. The dairy industry operates by taking away the baby to slaughter or other uses and taking the milk for us humans.

Milk (and yogurt, cheese, other things we make from milk) is meant for baby cows. Not adult humans.

When the calf is raised humanely and treated with respect I see no problem with eating veal. YOu haven't lived until you've eaten hand breaded hand raised veal.... wowza.

Also, not *ALL* babies are taken for slaughter. A well bred bull will be saved for breeding. A well bred cow from a good producer will be kept for a milk cow.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    the only cheese not meant for human consumption is Kraft singles.

That and Velveeta, they are considered cheese 'products'.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »
    Someone just said this to me.

"Someone" is dumb. Cheese is proof of God's love for mankind. It's just so ...wonderful....

Agreed!

• kmp327
    kmp327 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    MyM0wM0w wrote: »
    Someone just said this to me.

"Someone" is dumb. Cheese is proof of God's love for mankind. It's just so ...wonderful....

Ditto.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the comments, so I apologize, I had read this awhile back, and it makes sense to me. I'm not saying I'm giving up cheese, because Cheesus knows I love cheese.
    https://support.amazingdiscoveries.org/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/296/0/why-shouldnt-we-eat-cheese

TLDR version - Our bodies are not properly able to process cheese and it can affect us in ways that are immediately noticeable and not so much.

To your coworker, I say "Fantastic, more for me"
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    Someone just said this to me. I love hard cheese. But I also love a lot of things this person doesn't, as they avoid entire food groups including dairy. I also love research/studies. So... discuss.

Why is cheese meant or not meant for human consumption?
    What studies are available that I can review on this topic?

Thanks. :)

Cheese is made by humans for their own consumption. Who else would it be made for? Aliens?
  • brentopia
    brentopia Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I know there have been studies on Far East cultures, and Japanese specifically, that note their much lower level of dairy consumption (higher last several decades) and their better health than, say, Americans. I'm not sure of any specifics that actually tied these two together conclusively, though. Having said that, it's pretty obvious that most cheeses have a high fat and calorie content. Also having said that, I've always thought almost anything is okay in moderation. I love my cheese. Woooo.

Yes, the milk is naturally and foremost meant for the baby calf but mankind has selectively bred a milk monster in today's dairy cows. If you ever saw firsthand some of the problems these poor creatures go through due to being bred for a single purpose - you'd be shocked. We humans always go overboard with everything. I've seen farmers actually use come-alongs winches to pull out newborn calves due to some of the inherent birthing problems. I'm glad to see some of the old breeds being brought back, even if less prolific. I'm a rice milk or almond milk kind of guy - but I do love delicious cheese. Yum.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I believe I was meant to eat cheese. Not sure about your friend.
  • vvallentyne
    vvallentyne Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    turbosad wrote: »
    Cheese is meant to go with wine. :)

YES!
  • CADAVER0USB0N3S
    CADAVER0USB0N3S Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    "How anyone could get anything that smells like that past their nose and into their mouth and then chew it and swallow it is truly a human mystery.

I've never eaten cheese in my life. Aside from a very occasional slice of pizza where the smell and taste of the cheese is disguised by the pork toppings and the tomato sauce. And even still, it skeeves me a little."

I think its funny that you would rather eat pork than cheese. Pigs are treated horrible at factory farms and are highly more intelligent than a dog. You should do a little research.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Totally off topic, but every time I cook with fresh ginger, hubby asks if we are having laundry detergent for supper.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    "How anyone could get anything that smells like that past their nose and into their mouth and then chew it and swallow it is truly a human mystery.

I've never eaten cheese in my life. Aside from a very occasional slice of pizza where the smell and taste of the cheese is disguised by the pork toppings and the tomato sauce. And even still, it skeeves me a little."

I think its funny that you would rather eat pork than cheese. Pigs are treated horrible at factory farms and are highly more intelligent than a dog. You should do a little research.

It seems like the person you are responding to dislikes the smell of cheese, not the ethics involved in the production of it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Josalinn wrote: »
    Also completely OT (and a little dark):
    this entire thread has made me consider what an expansion to "A Modest Proposal" by Johnathan Swift would look like, especially if you added in today's technology.

"We could milk the mothers after we take the infants away and make delicious cheese that way we would no longer have to rely on cows."
    We already make ice cream out of it, so cheese is not so far out.
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    Of course cheese is meant for human consumption. How else would you be able to eat a grilled cheese sandwich?

tumblr_nj7daf36WH1sr1r7zo1_250.gif
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Man! why do I always find the awesome threads after 5 pages have already been made...
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    I didn't read all the comments, so I apologize, I had read this awhile back, and it makes sense to me. I'm not saying I'm giving up cheese, because Cheesus knows I love cheese.
    https://support.amazingdiscoveries.org/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/296/0/why-shouldnt-we-eat-cheese

TLDR version - Our bodies are not properly able to process cheese and it can affect us in ways that are immediately noticeable and not so much.

To your coworker, I say "Fantastic, more for me"
    I am thankful my ancestors mutated so I can consume cheese (and other milk products).
  • QuestForUnicorns
    Options
    Here is a YouTube video made by a doctor who talks about the research regarding milk (and other dairy products) and its effect on the body. The short of it is that the research has shown that dairy may not be beneficial, and could potentially be harmful in large amounts. But a little cheese now and then is fine for most people. And delicious.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I am thankful my ancestors mutated so I can consume cheese (and other milk products).

I have repeatedly told my friends if I become lactose intolerant, you might as well just shoot me.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    Brent2Bfit wrote: »
    I know there have been studies on Far East cultures, and Japanese specifically, that note their much lower level of dairy consumption (higher last several decades) and their better health than, say, Americans. I'm not sure of any specifics that actually tied these two together conclusively, though. Having said that, it's pretty obvious that most cheeses have a high fat and calorie content. Also having said that, I've always thought almost anything is okay in moderation. I love my cheese. Woooo.

Yes, the milk is naturally and foremost meant for the baby calf but mankind has selectively bred a milk monster in today's dairy cows. If you ever saw firsthand some of the problems these poor creatures go through due to being bred for a single purpose - you'd be shocked. We humans always go overboard with everything. I've seen farmers actually use come-alongs winches to pull out newborn calves due to some of the inherent birthing problems. I'm glad to see some of the old breeds being brought back, even if less prolific. I'm a rice milk or almond milk kind of guy - but I do love delicious cheese. Yum.

This is me as well. The treatment of the animals bothers me terribly. Not much I can do about it. I don't drink regular milk. Just switched to cashew milk instead of almond or soy milk, but I do still eat cheese.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Brent2Bfit wrote: »

This is me as well. The treatment of the animals bothers me terribly. Not much I can do about it. I don't drink regular milk. Just switched to cashew milk instead of almond or soy milk, but I do still eat cheese.

You can refuse to give your money and support to those who engage in it. Those who engage in this behavior do it for our money. They require our support. We can't change the world, but we can change our own behavior.