Help! Decided to go vegetarian but my husband hates veggies!

Options

Replies

• jenniferhorn87
    jenniferhorn87 Posts: 50 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Again, thanks to all of you that gave me helpful suggestions!

To the rest: Enjoy your debate!

And just to clear up a few things:
    1. Why I'm doing this doesn't matter
    2. My husband and I enjoy eating dinner together; so I have no problem making compromises. We're both very supportive of each other and I'm not forcing my life decisions on him. In no way am I telling him that he can't eat whatever he wants.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Lol guess he's gonna have to learn how to cook.

I wonder how you would feel if you were in that situation, you come how from work and find your husband ready to eat dinner but he made himself dinner and nothing for you because you're now a vegetarian. Everyone gets to sit down and eat but you have to go make yourself dinner. Would you be okay with that?
    I don't think OP, or any of us who have said "he's on his own" are proposing to not feed the husband at all, nor am I suggesting to go ahead and make a change in the household without discussion. However, if after said discussion I refused to eat what was being cooked, that's my issue because:
    a) someone is cooking me a home made meal for which I should be grateful; and
    b) it's vegetarian, not something weird and exotic or disgusting.

If OP has chosen to go veg for whatever reason and hubby still wants to eat meat, can he not throw a chicken breast on the BBQ for himself and add it to whatever veg meal has been prepared? Call me crazy, but can't a grown man learn to work around this quite easily and everyone in the family get what they need?

There have actually been several people that have said he's own his own. You are basically saying in your post that if the husband doesn't like it that he should make something on his own. So you're saying exactly what you're saying people aren't saying. The person converts to being a vegetarian and if other people don't adapt to it you say that's their problem but you're basically saying everyone needs to adapt because one person decided to make a big change in her life. That's selfish.
    Phew. Well thanks for clarifying what I meant. I guess? :confused:

• Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Not liking vegetables just means he's never had them prepared properly...vegetarian recipes are delicious!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Surely you're not thinking clearly and need to eat some tasty meat.

As many others have suggested when I cook for my vege friends I make a dish, e.g. chili, and add the meat last for us carnivores - easy peasy.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Not all vegans base their decision on a "love" for animals, by the way. This may be why you are having trouble understanding the motivation for it. Veganism is not about control over food, it's an ethical position on animal exploitation. Since food is a major source of animal exploitation, it can often come across that way to those less familiar with veganism, however. If you'd like to discuss it more, we certainly can -- I understand that it can be difficult to wrap your head around when you first consider it, acceptance of animal exploitation is certainly deeply rooted in our thought patterns.

I don't think she is trying to control his food choices. There's no indication in the OP that she is trying to do that. I think she is trying to figure out how to navigate this change while disrupting their current food routine as little as possible. If she does feel a need to control him, that would be a whole different issue.

Thank you for confirming that animal rights has nothing to do with a love of animals. But no, trot out the "exploitation" word and you've lost me. I don't have time for animal rights twaddle.

If I were the husband, after all these suggestions of letting him cook for himself, letting him cook his own meat, cooking a portion of meat that is supposed to feed him for a week or whatever, I'd be looking for someone else who shared my values and my lifestyle. Meals are a social thing in families. I don't feel sociable with someone who is making a value judgment on what I decide to eat. It's another matter when, as another person posted, there was a real medical issue that prevented her from eating meat.

Are you saying you would get a divorce?

Good point, I would like to add as well, does that animal rights twaddle she doesn't have time for extend to dogs as well?

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Not all vegans base their decision on a "love" for animals, by the way. This may be why you are having trouble understanding the motivation for it. Veganism is not about control over food, it's an ethical position on animal exploitation. Since food is a major source of animal exploitation, it can often come across that way to those less familiar with veganism, however. If you'd like to discuss it more, we certainly can -- I understand that it can be difficult to wrap your head around when you first consider it, acceptance of animal exploitation is certainly deeply rooted in our thought patterns.

I don't think she is trying to control his food choices. There's no indication in the OP that she is trying to do that. I think she is trying to figure out how to navigate this change while disrupting their current food routine as little as possible. If she does feel a need to control him, that would be a whole different issue.

Thank you for confirming that animal rights has nothing to do with a love of animals. But no, trot out the "exploitation" word and you've lost me. I don't have time for animal rights twaddle.

If I were the husband, after all these suggestions of letting him cook for himself, letting him cook his own meat, cooking a portion of meat that is supposed to feed him for a week or whatever, I'd be looking for someone else who shared my values and my lifestyle. Meals are a social thing in families. I don't feel sociable with someone who is making a value judgment on what I decide to eat. It's another matter when, as another person posted, there was a real medical issue that prevented her from eating meat.

You're seriously suggesting getting divorced because someone wants to be a vegetarian and the partner doesn't? No room for compromise?

Oh. Wait. It's April Fool's Day. It's got to be.

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Not liking vegetables just means he's never had them prepared properly...vegetarian recipes are delicious!

Regardless of how well prepared vegetables are, no one is going to quit eating meat if they don't want to.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options

I would let my partner know that option was on the table. If I don't share my partner's values and my partner feels content to make major lifestyle decisions to which s/he knows I will object AND has the audacity to tell me that I can sink or swim based on a decision s/he has made for us, there's already been a major breakdown in communication and the family unit. If my partner wants to go on with things as they were before, making special provisions for him- or herself, that's fine, but in no way should I end up collateral damage in the changes s/he is making in his/her life.
  • chantalemarie
    chantalemarie Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    jkwolly wrote: »
    So because you want to go vegetarian, your husband has to as well?

Why can't he make his own meals?

^This

Just because you decide to make a change (especially one like that) in your life doesn't mean everyone around you has to follow suit. If he wants to, then he will. Otherwise leave him alone about it.

i don't think she's pestering him to do anything. if she's the one making all the meals, it's perfectly reasonable to ask for suggestions that pertain to her needs. she's looking for an easier way to cater to him since he won't like the typical vegetarian meals and evidently can't cook for himself. she even said making separate dinners is fine sometimes....
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

Regardless of how well prepared vegetables are, no one is going to quit eating meat if they don't want to.
    Absolutely. I eat meat, but I eat a lot more vegetables now since I learned how to prepare them in new ways. So he might take more of an interest in her meals if she learns some good recipes.

• chantalemarie
    Options
    N8ilm wrote: »
    How about not forcing him to be a vegetarian? Like many said, it's not any healthier.
    It sounds like you're the main cook in the house, it's pretty screwed up to stop preparing meals for the both of you just because you hopped on the veggie wagon.

when did she say she would stop preparing meals? the opposite is what she asked. she said she would prepare separate meals sometimes but wants a compromise meal. holy people.... read before you type.
  • chantalemarie
    Options
    so either way then she HAS to make him dinner and she's the one who's screwed because she wants something else? having someone prepare a meal for you is a privilege not a right
  • bookworm_847
    bookworm_847 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    PeachyPlum wrote: »
    Make stuff where the meat goes in last.

Make chili and brown the beef separately. Split the batch, add beef to half.

Make pad Thai. Top his with stir fry chicken.

This isn't all that hard.

This is a great idea.

Also, OP, have you talked with your husband about things he's willing to try or doesn't want to give up? When I started trying to pay more attention to what I was eating, I talked to my husband about it so it wouldn't be a big deal for either of us when it came to meal planning.

Good luck!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

I would let my partner know that option was on the table. If I don't share my partner's values and my partner feels content to make major lifestyle decisions to which s/he knows I will object AND has the audacity to tell me that I can sink or swim based on a decision s/he has made for us, there's already been a major breakdown in communication and the family unit. If my partner wants to go on with things as they were before, making special provisions for him- or herself, that's fine, but in no way should I end up collateral damage in the changes s/he is making in his/her life.

Tough one.

So, I wouldn't date a vegetarian, vegan, pescatarian...or anyone on a restrictive diet. I get that.

But, marriage? I mean, didn't you make the whole "through sickness and health, till death do us part" vow? I would think that if you love someone enough to marry them, then you would stick by them. What if the diet change was a result of a medical condition?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    so either way then she HAS to make him dinner and she's the one who's screwed because she wants something else? having someone prepare a meal for you is a privilege not a right

Does she HAVE to, no. There are many things in marriage that we do, not because we HAVE to, but because we love the person that we're with and it is part of way we have compromised and split the household duties.

• chantalemarie
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

Does she HAVE to, no. There are many things in marriage that we do, not because we HAVE to, but because we love the person that we're with and it is part of way we have compromised and split the household duties.

so maybe he should eat the vegetarian food she makes because he loves her and has compromised that as part of having every meal prepared for you, you have slightly less of a say of what it is.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

truth, pescetarian here, I still cook meat for hubs (he HATES cooking) he vacuums and does dishes (I HATE vacuuming)

It is a P.I.T.A. to cook 2 meals but I can usually work around it by adding meat later, cooking meat on the side.

He tried to say he does all the outside stuff, but I pointed out that he doesn't do that stuff EVERY single night(gotta admit it is very disheartening to spend an hour preparing and cooking something that is scarfed down in ten minutes)......not to mention I usually have to help with outside stuff, and he doesn't help with cooking at all. So now he does dishes to help.....compromise.