The truth about "I still eat the foods I love"

Options

Replies

• sevader
    sevader Posts: 16
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    sevader wrote: »
    I honestly restricted and lost a lot of weight.. like I wouldn't even touch pizza it would make me sick and same with chips and all that crap

..... if it would make you SICK, I'm guessing you suffer(ed) from disordered eating.

It makes me sick because I have a really sensitive tummy and it has no connection to my PREVIOUS eating disorder. Please note I said PREVIOUS because I am recovered and I am as healthy as can be. And try not to guess without confirming from the actual person beforehand :)
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Also Haagen Dazs bars are about this size for the regular, and around 300 calories:
    14557227540_8403160e09.jpg
    About 80-85grams.

Their gelato, which I've never had:
    HDGelato-03.png
    HDGelato-05.png
    Seems like a lot of ice cream. Those bars are also delicious and in the past, I'd have eaten 3-4 of them in a sitting. Now 1 is actually enoguh and satisfying.

The only thing that really changed was my perspective on what an appropriate serving size should be, and actually sitting and enjoying the flavour instead of just hoovering it into my mouth.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    Daily cardio makes me more thirsty and less hungry than I used to be. It is sometimes a STRUGGLE for me to eat as much as I'm supposed to in order to hit my caloric goals - in part due to intermittent fasting (mostly unintentional, but there's a name for my eating style, so I'll use it.). I eat a small lunch even when I'm not terribly hungry, just to get some calories in, and then at dinner time, I do my worst, and then often find I'm still about 300 calories short of what I'm supposed to eat. So then I have a bit of dessert - but I'm not inclined to go overboard with it, because I am SO. FULL.

So, the thing I am sacrificing to eat what I want isn't so much quantity - it's the time I spend in the morning jogging on the treadmill - which keeps my appetite under control and my calorie expenditures high. :)
  • sevader
    Options
    I honestly restricted and lost a lot of weight.. like I wouldn't even touch pizza it would make me sick and same with chips and all that crap

..... if it would make you SICK, I'm guessing you suffer(ed) from disordered eating.

McDonalds food makes me sick. No disordered eating here.

Gosh thaaaank you.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    There's some fair bit of jealousy on this thread (not being snarky, it's been outright stated as such). Honestly, how silly. I'm not jealous of people who can put away much more than I can without gaining weight, for various reasons (usually, either their height, their sex, their age or all three). Those people have their own *kitten* to deal with. We all do. Nobody gets a free pass and everybody has to deal with something. Really, you can be petty because a person who's dealing with his/her own life can eat more than you can? Have a little perspective here. If you can't celebrate someone else's happiness, whatever that may be, then I think that's on you, not on the other person.
  • ana3067
    Options

It makes me sick because I have a really sensitive tummy and it has no connection to my PREVIOUS eating disorder. Please note I said PREVIOUS because I am recovered and I am as healthy as can be. And try not to guess without confirming from the actual person beforehand :)

It's interesting that only the "crap" would make you feel sick, though. Is "crap" to mean anything calorie-dense, does peanut butter make you sick? Or fatty salmon? I've interacted with women with EDs, and a demonization of particular food groups along with a fear of eating them is common.
  • mom2ava07
    mom2ava07 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I mostly eat the same foods but it would be a lie to imply I'm eating all of the foods I want because many simply don't fit into my calorie goal. Pizza is an example. I ate three slices on my birthday, but it was thin crust with limited toppings. I can't eat pizza like I like it because one slice is nearly 400 calories. That's a big chunk of 1200 calories for one slice.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    stealthq wrote: »
    BFDeal wrote: »
    BFDeal wrote: »
    P3100726.jpg
    Here we go. A regular size pint next time a "serving" of Ben & Jerry's. Sad small container is sad.

The listed serving size here is larger than the typical serving size for my Breyer's ice cream, which I consider to be a fairly reasonable and enjoyable serving size. It's also lower in calorie than my Breyer's.

So................ why complain.
    I was pointing out what a "serving" of Ben & Jerry's really looks like. See how tiny that container is? You're telling me that's more than like 4 spoonfuls? As for the pint, it looks like it's something soy based. For the record, I eat pints of Halo Top protein ice cream. 300 calories a pint give or take, 24g of protein. It's not Ben & Jerry's but it tastes better than Arctic Zero and it's easy on the macros.

More like 8-12 spoonfuls. Unless you take really, really big bites.

It's enough to satisfy me, IF I pick a good rich flavor. If the flavor's not that great, then I'm not satisfied even after eating a pint.

As an aside - I don't suppose you (or whomever posted that huge pic) would be willing to make it smaller? It's making the thread hard to read.

MFP is borking photos lately. Nothing we can do, unfortunately.

And, yeah, those single serving containers look like a normal portion to me, what I would have called "single serving" my whole life. I'm sorry someone led you to believe that a pint was what you were "supposed" to down in one.

Which brings me back to my first reply to this thread about the Hows of making treats fit. Eat small bites. Savor them. Go slowly. If you're not mindlessly inhaling your food like it's an eating competition, you'll probably start finding a proper serving to be more satisfying. Frankly, I'd get bored before I could put down a whole pint at the rate I enjoy my ice cream. It's too darn much.

That's you...

I'm a hiker - I can go on a 25-mile hike, come home eat a giant Chipotle burrito, and down two pints of Hagen Dazs and still be net-negative calorie-wise.

Context is important - so you can savor a little each and every day and I'll shovel it in on my bigger CO days - we'll both make progress towards our goals.
  • sevader
    Options

It's interesting that only the "crap" would make you feel sick, though. Is "crap" to mean anything calorie-dense, does peanut butter make you sick? Or fatty salmon? I've interacted with women with EDs, and a demonization of particular food groups along with a fear of eating them is common.

It could be calorie dense and it could be calorie free. Its certain foods that make me sick and not because of their density or calorie number. I never said its only the " crap " that makes me sick. I've eaten foods that have more calories than 2 slices of pizza that don't make me sick at all. You're judging and its obvious that the people you " interacted " with are very different than me. Good luck with your choices.

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If you're restricting calories, you're giving up foods you love. There is no other way.

It can be dressed up as "eat less of them" or "eat them in moderation" but it's all just various forms of restriction that require sacrifice and discipline.

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

It could be calorie dense and it could be calorie free. Its certain foods that make me sick and not because of their density or calorie number. I never said its only the " crap " that makes me sick. I've eaten foods that have more calories than 2 slices of pizza that don't make me sick at all. You're judging and its obvious that the people you " interacted " with are very different than me. Good luck with your choices.

Have you spoken with a doctor or gastroenterologist about why this might be happening? Having recovered from an ED myself, I have had to deal with a number of gastro issues that were, directly or indirectly, caused by my ED.
  • MarkJCherry
    MarkJCherry Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    restricting doesn't mean giving up though. I eat less Skyline, but I didn't give it up.
  • sevader
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

Have you spoken with a doctor or gastroenterologist about why this might be happening? Having recovered from an ED myself, I have had to deal with a number of gastro issues that were, directly or indirectly, caused by my ED.

Its been happening before my ED but I wouldn't be surprised if the ED did affect it. I'll talk to my doctor about this though thank you for reminding me :)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    One thing I've thought is this: Whether you have one bite or one hundred, eventually you come to the end of what you are eating. How you feel when you come to the end is up to you. For me, I'd rather choose something premium flavored I really enjoy, and have a single serving of it, eat without distraction and really take the time to savor it, and finish it knowing it was truly enjoyed. It's a much more pleasurable experience than just chowing down whatever, mindlessly, in front of the tube.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    If a small serving of ice cream isn't "worth it," then you need to evaluate why you'd consider a "food you love."

Honestly, if you need a full pint to feel like you got your ice cream on, you might be either buying crappy ice cream or eating too fast. Or maybe you just don't like ice cream as much as you think you do. Everyone needs to examine his or her own TRUE preferences and loves. Shoving food in your face without thinking about it isn't a love, it's a bad habit. When you break down tasty treats into proper portion sizes, it doesn't take that much to fit them into even a fairly low calorie limit. (I was eating premium gelato every night when I was at 1300, and I didn't have to starve myself all day to do it.) And, if you take the time to enjoy your treats, they will satisfy you.

^^This. Seriously.

And considering that, in my experience, most ice cream is ~160 calories per serving, its really not that hard to fit it in.

160 calories worth of ice cream is just sad...

May be sad for you, but not for everyone. I was just discussing the same exact things about habits and our perception. I grew up eating just one serving, and often even half a serving (kid's popsicle size). It feels plenty much to me because that's the amount I've always eaten even when I weighed more than 300 pounds, and because everyone I ever knew ate 1/2-1 serving and more seemed (and still seems) unnecessary.

I think that's the point really. Everyone should find an approach that works for them and not worry about what other people are doing. 160 calories of ice cream is sad to me, and I'd rather eat the whole pint. I just find a way to eat the whole pint, even if that means I only eat 4 pints a year - to me that's moderation (moderating frequency).

I find it fascinating that even amongst people who generally agree, there's still an undercurrent of 'you're not doing it right' (General observation - not directed at you).

That begs the question, why do people feel compelled to share any time they see someone who does the opposite of what works for them? Someone talks about looking forward to their cheat meal, the post telling them they should stop putting toxins in their body or that calling it a "cheat" is setting up for failure is not helping them in any way. Someone talks about how they constantly overeat pasta and have to give them up for a while, the post telling them "I eat it all the time" or if they don't eat it they're guaranteed to binge is not helping them in any way.

I'd like to know that as well, but it seems to be the norm around here. Drives me batty sometimes but it also makes the threads more entertaining. Less helpful, of course, but you can always count on someone to reply exactly as you noted above.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

Its been happening before my ED but I wouldn't be surprised if the ED did affect it. I'll talk to my doctor about this though thank you for reminding me :)

Good.

Somethings go away in time, like nausea, but others stick around to annoy you just enough. Kind of like a penance for treating your body so badly for so long. But, hey, it's a reminder to never go back to that dark place.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    If you're restricting calories, you're giving up foods you love. There is no other way.

It can be dressed up as "eat less of them" or "eat them in moderation" but it's all just various forms of restriction that require sacrifice and discipline.

ummm no..

I restrict calories, but I have not given anything up. I just eat less of what I like.

giving up does not equal restriction

• sevader
    Options

Good.

Somethings go away in time, like nausea, but others stick around to annoy you just enough. Kind of like a penance for treating your body so badly for so long. But, hey, it's a reminder to never go back to that dark place.

Thats true. I regret what I did to myself but I learned from the experience and as you said, a reminder to never go back to those actions.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

Give up:
    to cease doing or attempting something especially as an admission of defeat
    to desist from : abandon

and if we take Abandon to be synonymous with give up, then:
    : to leave and never return to (something)

Moderation:
    a : tending toward the mean or average amount or dimension
    avoiding extremes of behavior or expression : observing reasonable limits <a moderate drinker>

Give up thus entails not consuming something at all, period. Moderation entails consuming that item in smaller amounts. Neither are the same thing. The latter requires no sacrifice on my part while the former does.

So no, in my caloric deficit I've not had to abandon or give up any particular food item, why would it be assumed that this is required? Moderation of all food items? Yes, but again that is not at all giving them up.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    fatcity66 wrote: »
    freeoscar wrote: »
    NOne of this is sacrifice, just eating reasonable portions. Should I go on to talk about how I do this with chicken, salmon, rice, fruits, veggies, oil, etc?

perhaps sacrifice is too strong a word, but it's clearly a measured change. If it weren't you wouldn't have had to make the changes to begin with, as you would have been doing this all along.
    My point of this post was that 1) It is necessary to add the modifier 'in moderation' when one says they still eat all the foods they like and more importantly 2) give some examples of what 'moderation' means to you, so that others on or beginning this change in their eating habits has an idea of what normal is (and what abnormal was).

And yet the change took virtually no effort. Once I stopped looking at food as being "bad," the only effort that was required was logging the portion before eating it.

Well, aren't you special?
    I'm not ashamed to admit, I still struggle every day. Hence, I still have 35lbs left to lose. I've actually done really well for nearly the last 2 weeks, staying in my calories nearly every day, and exercising. Alas, no weight loss yet.

No, I'm not special. I've simply pointed out that for me it was not a sacrifice and as such change was easy.

It's definitely not easy and definitely a sacrifice for me. I'm not gonna lie. There are still days when I want to eat a whole pint of ice cream or a box of cookies, but the guilt that comes after just isn't worth it. And of course I have to make some sacrifices... I go to bed hungry more often than I'd like to admit, and sometimes it sucks when everyone is having noodles with their dinner but I'm too low on calories to have some.

If it was 'easy' and no sacrifice was involved, 95% of people wouldn't gain the weight back. Just saying.
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    If a small serving of ice cream isn't "worth it," then you need to evaluate why you'd consider a "food you love."

Honestly, if you need a full pint to feel like you got your ice cream on, you might be either buying crappy ice cream or eating too fast. Or maybe you just don't like ice cream as much as you think you do. Everyone needs to examine his or her own TRUE preferences and loves. Shoving food in your face without thinking about it isn't a love, it's a bad habit. When you break down tasty treats into proper portion sizes, it doesn't take that much to fit them into even a fairly low calorie limit. (I was eating premium gelato every night when I was at 1300, and I didn't have to starve myself all day to do it.) And, if you take the time to enjoy your treats, they will satisfy you.

^^This. Seriously.

And considering that, in my experience, most ice cream is ~160 calories per serving, its really not that hard to fit it in.

160 calories worth of ice cream is just sad...

May be sad for you, but not for everyone. I was just discussing the same exact things about habits and our perception. I grew up eating just one serving, and often even half a serving (kid's popsicle size). It feels plenty much to me because that's the amount I've always eaten even when I weighed more than 300 pounds, and because everyone I ever knew ate 1/2-1 serving and more seemed (and still seems) unnecessary.

I think that's the point really. Everyone should find an approach that works for them and not worry about what other people are doing. 160 calories of ice cream is sad to me, and I'd rather eat the whole pint. I just find a way to eat the whole pint, even if that means I only eat 4 pints a year - to me that's moderation (moderating frequency).

I find it fascinating that even amongst people who generally agree, there's still an undercurrent of 'you're not doing it right' (General observation - not directed at you).

That begs the question, why do people feel compelled to share any time they see someone who does the opposite of what works for them? Someone talks about looking forward to their cheat meal, the post telling them they should stop putting toxins in their body or that calling it a "cheat" is setting up for failure is not helping them in any way. Someone talks about how they constantly overeat pasta and have to give them up for a while, the post telling them "I eat it all the time" or if they don't eat it they're guaranteed to binge is not helping them in any way.

Depends on the circumstances though. A lot of people post asking about cheat meals (I assume they have no experience with online forums and the search function at this point), so obviously they're going to get different answers. Those threads drive me nuts though, it's always the same arguments over and over... ugh.