i know this is a weight loss wesbite...

Options

Replies

• NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner
    NobodyPutsAmyInTheCorner Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    People... What is a peep. What does it taste like and is it good with peanut butter? :lol:
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    Interesting thing about MFP, from their "about" section of their website.

"Losing weight isn't easy - we know. But with a membership to MyFitnessPal.com, you'll get the tools you need to successfully take weight off - and keep it off. And best of all, everything on our site is 100% FREE. So put away your credit card - you'll never have to pay a cent.

Study after study has confirmed the benefits of keeping track of the food you eat and the activity you do. It's simple - the more consistently you track your food intake, the more likely you are to lose weight. That's why every successful weight management program suggests that you keep a food diary and/or an activity log. But recording everything you eat without the right tools can be tedious at best, or simply impossible at worst.

At MyFitnessPal.com, we focus on making sure you can log your meals as quickly and easily as possible. Because the easier we make it for you, the more likely you are to stay on track, and the more likely you are to succeed in your weight loss goals."

The entire page is about weight loss. Nothing about fitness in general. Just weight loss and calorie counting. Just thought I'd throw that out there because some folks are saying MFP isn't a weight loss website, but obviously some people get the idea from somewhere that it is.

I'll say that the majority of people use MFP as a weight loss tool; however, in another section of the website, MFP paints their "About" section (under 'Jobs') in much broader strokes including mentions of fitness:

"MyFitnessPal helps millions of people stay healthier and happier. With a database of more than 4 million foods and hundreds of exercises, top fitness technology partners, community support, insights, and seamless access to your personal health information across all major platforms, MyFitnessPal is the leading free resource for achieving and maintaining health goals."

Even if you look at the community forums, you see numerous threads about maintaining, gaining weight, or even about fitness in general.

Not trying to get into a pissing contest...I guess since I am one of those people who is saying that MFP isn't a weight loss website I felt the need to respond.
    xaxawgzwnsf6.png

I'd say it's weight-loss focused. Especially considering that the weight loss forum is pretty much the busiest.

But if the world was underweight than it would say use this to gain weight.

Not really seeing why that's important... since focusing on people who are underweight and promoting weight gain doesn't really foster the idea that it's focused on fitness. Just on weight management, which can be entirely separate from fitness.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    aimeerace wrote: »
    People... What is a peep. What does it taste like and is it good with peanut butter? :lol:

Sugar crusted sugar. Works for s'mores. You could probably add peanut butter.
    Peep-SMores-collage.jpg.jpg.jpg
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    jkwolly wrote: »
    If I am under on calories, over on fiber and approaching my protein then I pretty much call my day good and go drink wine.
    I like you.

Red or wine? Dry or sweet?

I am partial to sparkling. Give me a good prosecco and I am very happy. Otherwise, red all the way!
    Mmm amen!
  • KarinaGeneva
    KarinaGeneva Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    MFP is an amazing tool. It's fantastic on lots of levels. However, if I simply track my calories and hit my macros it doesn't necessarily mean I'm eating healthy -- at all. If I'm not getting a variety of vegetables and legumes, for example, I will be missing out on a huge list of vitamins and other phytochemicals and nutrients and my long-term health will suffer, even if I hit my target weight. We shouldn't tell ourselves that if we can fit it in we should feel free to eat it. I think most people here know that very well. By all means, have some birthday cake. Have some of your loved ones' birthday cakes. But it wouldn't be wise to have cake every day. It's not smart to drink Diet Coke twice a day (like I used to); better to have some green tea (like I'm sipping now). :smile: The details of "healthy" eating are somewhat complicated -- science is continually evolving and we are constantly bombarded with contrary messages from sources that benefit from our purchasing decisions. The basics are common sense though -- eat a variety of whole foods, especially fruits, vegetables and legumes, limit sugar intake and try to avoid transfats and saturated fats.
  • jkwolly
    Options

"Losing weight isn't easy - we know. But with a membership to MyFitnessPal.com, you'll get the tools you need to successfully take weight off - and keep it off. And best of all, everything on our site is 100% FREE. So put away your credit card - you'll never have to pay a cent.

Study after study has confirmed the benefits of keeping track of the food you eat and the activity you do. It's simple - the more consistently you track your food intake, the more likely you are to lose weight. That's why every successful weight management program suggests that you keep a food diary and/or an activity log. But recording everything you eat without the right tools can be tedious at best, or simply impossible at worst.

At MyFitnessPal.com, we focus on making sure you can log your meals as quickly and easily as possible. Because the easier we make it for you, the more likely you are to stay on track, and the more likely you are to succeed in your weight loss goals."

The entire page is about weight loss. Nothing about fitness in general. Just weight loss and calorie counting. Just thought I'd throw that out there because some folks are saying MFP isn't a weight loss website, but obviously some people get the idea from somewhere that it is.

I'll say that the majority of people use MFP as a weight loss tool; however, in another section of the website, MFP paints their "About" section (under 'Jobs') in much broader strokes including mentions of fitness:

"MyFitnessPal helps millions of people stay healthier and happier. With a database of more than 4 million foods and hundreds of exercises, top fitness technology partners, community support, insights, and seamless access to your personal health information across all major platforms, MyFitnessPal is the leading free resource for achieving and maintaining health goals."

Even if you look at the community forums, you see numerous threads about maintaining, gaining weight, or even about fitness in general.

Not trying to get into a pissing contest...I guess since I am one of those people who is saying that MFP isn't a weight loss website I felt the need to respond.
    xaxawgzwnsf6.png

I'd say it's weight-loss focused. Especially considering that the weight loss forum is pretty much the busiest.

But if the world was underweight than it would say use this to gain weight.

Not really seeing why that's important... since focusing on people who are underweight and promoting weight gain doesn't really foster the idea that it's focused on fitness. Just on weight management, which can be entirely separate from fitness.
    Importance is that it's marketed to the masses
  • SconnieCat
    SconnieCat Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    MFP is an amazing tool. It's fantastic on lots of levels. However, if I simply track my calories and hit my macros it doesn't necessarily mean I'm eating healthy -- at all. If I'm not getting a variety of vegetables and legumes, for example, I will be missing out on a huge list of vitamins and other phytochemicals and nutrients and my long-term health will suffer, even if I hit my target weight. We shouldn't tell ourselves that if we can fit it in we should feel free to eat it. I think most people here know that very well. By all means, have some birthday cake. Have some of your loved ones' birthday cakes. But it wouldn't be wise to have cake every day. It's not smart to drink Diet Coke twice a day (like I used to); better to have some green tea (like I'm sipping now). :smile: The details of "healthy" eating are somewhat complicated -- science is continually evolving and we are constantly bombarded with contrary messages from sources that benefit from our purchasing decisions. The basics are common sense though -- eat a variety of whole foods, especially fruits, vegetables and legumes, limit sugar intake and try to avoid transfats and saturated fats.

Diet Coke?! Did someone say Diet Coke??!

anigif_enhanced-32138-1414092634-7.gif
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

<<shudder>> Can't see ruining a perfectly good 'smore. I've never been a fan of peeps, even before low carb. I've heard all my life how weird this makes me, lol.
  • jkwolly
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

<<shudder>> Can't see ruining a perfectly good 'smore. I've never been a fan of peeps, even before low carb. I've heard all my life how weird this makes me, lol.
    I've honestly never had one

They've only recently hit shelves here, actually.
  • xMrBunglex
    xMrBunglex Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Wait, I thought this was a "Person above: Hot or Not" singles site?

I'm so confused
  • lose15mel
    lose15mel Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use this website to journal my calories so that I can keep track and hold myself accountable for what I put in my mouth. The fact of the matter is calories in and calories out is how you lose weight. No getting around that. What kind of food you choose to put in your body as fuel is totally up to you. I choose to eat well balanced and real food. I would have to disagree with the observation you made that people here don't care what they eat as long as they stay in the calorie allowance. I have learned a lot about good nutrition in the year I have been using MFP.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    jkwolly wrote: »
    In for peeps?!

200.gif

Pusheen is even eating the cleansing peeps!

I should have taken a picture, but Target where I live is on to this... an entire end-cap of JUST yellow peeps.

LOL!!!! Cleansing Peeps!!! OMG ROFL - thanks for that laugh! I have to share that one with my sister (she loves Peeps, but wishes they were healthy). :D

How have you not heard about @tincanonastring's peep cleanse?! Hahaha It's good stuff. But only the yellow ones do it. ;)
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

xaxawgzwnsf6.png

x33TTXn.png?1

Most newbies won't see those other forums at first, though. MFP identifies itself as a weight loss site asking people to sign up. I KNOW others use it for other purposes but it doesn't negate the fact that MFP markets itself for weight loss. I don't think people are necessarily less than educated when they are Googling weight loss websites and find this one and think its about weight loss. Its a logical train of thought. People don't usually find the forums until later.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    Ew peeps- never understood them.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    Part of the idea of "if it fits your macros" or "if it fits your calories" is that many people are hooked on a specific diet and believe that they can only loose weight on whatever diet strikes them -- if they are on the broccoli diet they will eat broccoli all day long and moan and complain because they are hungry for peanut butter and crackers. They could eat the peanut butter and crackers and still loose weight and be healthy but they believe otherwise.

http://www.amazon.com/Diet-Cults-Surprising-Fallacy-Nutrition-ebook/dp/B00IDEQM5W
  • Kiku10
    Kiku10 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You can check the GOALS section to see what percentage of macro-nutrients you are eating. You can also change your percentage goals for each category if you want to eat more protein or carbs than recommended. Nutrition is a complex calculation for an app - much much harder to track than simple calories. Good luck and eat your veggies. :)
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options

xaxawgzwnsf6.png

x33TTXn.png?1

Most newbies won't see those other forums at first, though. MFP identifies itself as a weight loss site asking people to sign up. I KNOW others use it for other purposes but it doesn't negate the fact that MFP markets itself for weight loss. I don't think people are necessarily less than educated when they are Googling weight loss websites and find this one and think its about weight loss. Its a logical train of thought. People don't usually find the forums until later.

You are making a large amount of assumptions. You don't post in the weight gain section so you don't realize it but we get plenty of people that join just because they are bulking and need advice. Just because you live in a bubble doesn't mean there isn't another world around you.

Realistically speaking, do you think MFP makes more money from the ads it serves to people trying to lose or people trying to gain? Keep in mind the millions who don't even use the forums, or know they exist, if they're not very technically inclined.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    What is actually said: "You can eat what you want if it fits in your macros and calories for the day"

What people see: "You can eat donuts, fries, burgers, pizza in mass quantities and still lose weight."

Yup. I remember one poster in a moderation thread was like "see look, I logged moderation and I'm WAY OVER my calories and macros" and it was like... logging multiple slices of pizza, KFC, ice cream, chocolate, etc all on the same day. Well no crap, sherlock, how do you think that that is moderating your intake to fit things you enjoy into your daily needs?

I remember that thread. It was like, wha???