Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    Interesting thing about MFP, from their "about" section of their website.

"Losing weight isn't easy - we know. But with a membership to MyFitnessPal.com, you'll get the tools you need to successfully take weight off - and keep it off. And best of all, everything on our site is 100% FREE. So put away your credit card - you'll never have to pay a cent.

Study after study has confirmed the benefits of keeping track of the food you eat and the activity you do. It's simple - the more consistently you track your food intake, the more likely you are to lose weight. That's why every successful weight management program suggests that you keep a food diary and/or an activity log. But recording everything you eat without the right tools can be tedious at best, or simply impossible at worst.

At MyFitnessPal.com, we focus on making sure you can log your meals as quickly and easily as possible. Because the easier we make it for you, the more likely you are to stay on track, and the more likely you are to succeed in your weight loss goals."

The entire page is about weight loss. Nothing about fitness in general. Just weight loss and calorie counting. Just thought I'd throw that out there because some folks are saying MFP isn't a weight loss website, but obviously some people get the idea from somewhere that it is.

I'll say that the majority of people use MFP as a weight loss tool; however, in another section of the website, MFP paints their "About" section (under 'Jobs') in much broader strokes including mentions of fitness:

"MyFitnessPal helps millions of people stay healthier and happier. With a database of more than 4 million foods and hundreds of exercises, top fitness technology partners, community support, insights, and seamless access to your personal health information across all major platforms, MyFitnessPal is the leading free resource for achieving and maintaining health goals."

Even if you look at the community forums, you see numerous threads about maintaining, gaining weight, or even about fitness in general.

Not trying to get into a pissing contest...I guess since I am one of those people who is saying that MFP isn't a weight loss website I felt the need to respond.
    xaxawgzwnsf6.png

I'd say it's weight-loss focused. Especially considering that the weight loss forum is pretty much the busiest.

x33TTXn.png?1

Most newbies won't see those other forums at first, though. MFP identifies itself as a weight loss site asking people to sign up. I KNOW others use it for other purposes but it doesn't negate the fact that MFP markets itself for weight loss. I don't think people are necessarily less than educated when they are Googling weight loss websites and find this one and think its about weight loss. Its a logical train of thought. People don't usually find the forums until later.

You are making a large amount of assumptions. You don't post in the weight gain section so you don't realize it but we get plenty of people that join just because they are bulking and need advice. Just because you live in a bubble doesn't mean there isn't another world around you.

Are you capable of posting without insulting someone? Just curious. I'm not making assumptions. MFP lists weight loss on the very first page, before one even signs up. Its not a giant leap for newbies to think MFP is about weight loss.
  • nowweseeyou
    nowweseeyou Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    Hilarious-gif.gif
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Damm I thought this was a LARP site no wonder I've had weird responses when talking about my Rubber sword
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    fishshark wrote: »
    Is it because of this no one really cares about "health". For example the over all consensus is "if it fits in your calories eat it" but is that healthy? Like yes i could eat taco bell everyday and fit it into my calories never get fat but is that healthy? no! I am pro fitting stuff into your calories and if i crave something i fit it in but it doesnt mean im being healthy. Is it because this is primarily weight loss that the over all health side of it is left out? Getting fat isnt the only risk to eating highly processed chemical laced fast food. Mean while i just ate a mcdonalds hash brown.. I am just asking not really challenging the theroy because as u can see im a "if it fits eat it".

There are few absolutes in life (death, taxes, something else I'm not remembering) but "healthy" isn't one of them. A healthy attitude toward food includes moderation. Eating a hash brown or having Taco Bell is not an inherently unhealthy behavior assuming it doesn't make up 100% of your diet. And who really has a diet made up 100% of those things? Nobody. And I've never seen any MFPer suggest it.

I wouldn't say nobody. I watched an episode of Extreme Weight loss (the Chris Powell show, where he helps people lose weight over the course of a year) and there was a lady who was eating Fast food for all of her meals. So some people do make 100% of their diet with that type of food. I don't think most MFP users do though.

Again, I've never seen an MFPer suggest it. Are there some who do it? Probably, but they don't seem to be vocal about it. Are there people on TV who do it? I'm sure there are but this thread was asking a question about MFP, not a TV show.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Oh snap, here we go again!

Safety first! Leave this thread immediately, before you get mauled! Go search the forums and read through 1,000s of similar postings wherein the OP gets mauled, then identify like-minded people and send friend requests. Then you can post these types of things on your newsfeed all day long without fear. You're welcome!

• jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I'm a dog, I maul
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Personally, I agree with you. I follow an ancestral type diet and sustainability/health is very important to me. Food is more than just calories being ticked off a checklist. MFP is full of people like you as well as the IIFYM crowd. In the end we both end up saying the same thing...that you should eat the best food you can but not be too strict where you go nuts and don't live a little. I think some of us are better at moderating and some just need to abstain. That's just how you are wired sometimes. You can certainly train yourself and no one forces you to keep stuffing the M & M's into your mouth...but look if it's a problem and you can't have just a handful then maybe you need to reevaluate your strengths and be truthful with who you are.
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

"Losing weight isn't easy - we know. But with a membership to MyFitnessPal.com, you'll get the tools you need to successfully take weight off - and keep it off. And best of all, everything on our site is 100% FREE. So put away your credit card - you'll never have to pay a cent.

Study after study has confirmed the benefits of keeping track of the food you eat and the activity you do. It's simple - the more consistently you track your food intake, the more likely you are to lose weight. That's why every successful weight management program suggests that you keep a food diary and/or an activity log. But recording everything you eat without the right tools can be tedious at best, or simply impossible at worst.

At MyFitnessPal.com, we focus on making sure you can log your meals as quickly and easily as possible. Because the easier we make it for you, the more likely you are to stay on track, and the more likely you are to succeed in your weight loss goals."

The entire page is about weight loss. Nothing about fitness in general. Just weight loss and calorie counting. Just thought I'd throw that out there because some folks are saying MFP isn't a weight loss website, but obviously some people get the idea from somewhere that it is.

I'll say that the majority of people use MFP as a weight loss tool; however, in another section of the website, MFP paints their "About" section (under 'Jobs') in much broader strokes including mentions of fitness:

"MyFitnessPal helps millions of people stay healthier and happier. With a database of more than 4 million foods and hundreds of exercises, top fitness technology partners, community support, insights, and seamless access to your personal health information across all major platforms, MyFitnessPal is the leading free resource for achieving and maintaining health goals."

Even if you look at the community forums, you see numerous threads about maintaining, gaining weight, or even about fitness in general.

Not trying to get into a pissing contest...I guess since I am one of those people who is saying that MFP isn't a weight loss website I felt the need to respond.
    xaxawgzwnsf6.png

I'd say it's weight-loss focused. Especially considering that the weight loss forum is pretty much the busiest.

x33TTXn.png?1

Most newbies won't see those other forums at first, though. MFP identifies itself as a weight loss site asking people to sign up. I KNOW others use it for other purposes but it doesn't negate the fact that MFP markets itself for weight loss. I don't think people are necessarily less than educated when they are Googling weight loss websites and find this one and think its about weight loss. Its a logical train of thought. People don't usually find the forums until later.

You are making a large amount of assumptions. You don't post in the weight gain section so you don't realize it but we get plenty of people that join just because they are bulking and need advice. Just because you live in a bubble doesn't mean there isn't another world around you.

Realistically speaking, do you think MFP makes more money from the ads it serves to people trying to lose or people trying to gain? Keep in mind the millions who don't even use the forums, or know they exist, if they're not very technically inclined.

It doesn't matter what they make money of off. The point is that it isn't a "weight loss site" since it serves many functions. If it were just a weight loss site then a good amount of the members here would have deactivated since they aren't losing weight.

xaxawgzwnsf6.png

x33TTXn.png?1

Are you capable of posting without insulting someone? Just curious. I'm not making assumptions. MFP lists weight loss on the very first page, before one even signs up. Its not a giant leap for newbies to think MFP is about weight loss.

You make wild assumptions. Don't get upset when called out on it. Newbies thinking it's a weight loss site doesn't mean it's strictly a weight loss site. It's either just a weight loss site or it isn't just a weight loss site. The answer isn't that it isn't. Sorry if you don't like that.

Apparently not, lol. I'm not upset at all, mostly I find you amusing and your insults make you sound a bit whiney. Perhaps we are both misreading tone?

*MFP* STATES its primary purpose, on the very first page as a weight loss tool. My original post was a quote they listed as their objective from their "about" page. Its not an assumption to think its their primary goal. I honestly don't care why people use MFP, but its silly to state that its not primarily about weight loss when they themselves say that upfront. Anyway, as I stated I'm not wanting a pissing contest and I've yet to see you have anything but so I'm done.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    If you really want to lose weight.... add about 5000 helium party balloons to your belt... I have always considered that the purpose of MFP was to create a healthy sustainable lifestyle thorugh diet AND exercise. THAT the tools provided were to assist in that goal by teaching folk how to manage what they put in their mouth and in what quantity... THEN through information exchange find and define fitness goals that coincide with their lifestyles. SO while MFP hawks it's weight loss applications like anything including life it is only limited by your imagination.. IF the OP believes it does NOT promote health.. who is to say she/he/it is wrong??? MFP simply IS ... thousands of people would simple state.. that MFP is a lifesaver... if not for IT.. they could potentially be dead...
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I was told there would be cupcakes....
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    JPW1990 wrote: »

xaxawgzwnsf6.png

x33TTXn.png?1

Realistically speaking, do you think MFP makes more money from the ads it serves to people trying to lose or people trying to gain? Keep in mind the millions who don't even use the forums, or know they exist, if they're not very technically inclined.

It doesn't matter what they make money of off. The point is that it isn't a "weight loss site" since it serves many functions. If it were just a weight loss site then a good amount of the members here would have deactivated since they aren't losing weight.

xaxawgzwnsf6.png

x33TTXn.png?1

You make wild assumptions. Don't get upset when called out on it. Newbies thinking it's a weight loss site doesn't mean it's strictly a weight loss site. It's either just a weight loss site or it isn't just a weight loss site. The answer isn't that it isn't. Sorry if you don't like that.

You lost weight. didn't you? Was that before you joined MFP or was it after?

The reason I'm asking is because people change their goals over a period of time and move from Weight Loss to Maintenance to Weight Gain to Motivation and Support.

I was in Weight Loss when I joined but now I primarily see myself in Fitness and Exercise. I go to Food And Nutrition for cat gifs ;)
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    I'm a dog, I maul

Go away!!! There is only one puppy here. Leo. He'll bite you. Leave.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

xaxawgzwnsf6.png

x33TTXn.png?1

Even when they do, this forum subsection is busier than maintain and gain. More people are here for weight loss and that's primarily what it's marketed for, which is evident from the homepage where it's written in big letters.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Guys, it's myfitnesspal, not mybutthurtpal. Get with it.

Note: i posted this without reading the thread. I am just assuming there's a lot of arguing in them there 4 pages
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »
    Guys, it's myfitnesspal, not mybutthurtpal. Get with it.

Note: i posted this without reading the thread. I am just assuming there's a lot of arguing in them there 4 pages

THIS HAHAHA
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    Is it because of this no one really cares about "health".

Who said no one cares about health?
    For example the over all consensus is "if it fits in your calories eat it" but is that healthy?

What people (including me) say is that you don't have to cut out any foods. And, yes, that's healthy. I don't think my diet is at all less healthy than people who cut out foods. I focus on eating nutrient dense foods and adequate protein and micronutrients and then, with discretionary calories, also eat some less nutrient dense foods that I happen to enjoy.
    Like yes i could eat taco bell everyday and fit it into my calories never get fat but is that healthy?

No one recommends eating taco bell every day (and no one reasonable/with taste would want to, IMO). So this is a strawman.
    I am pro fitting stuff into your calories and if i crave something i fit it in but it doesnt mean im being healthy.

If your overall diet is healthy, sure it does. Why does eating a half cup of ice cream make me less healthy, assuming I also satisfied my nutritional requirements and am not going to gain weight inappropriately? Also, how does cutting out ice cream make me likely to satisfy my nutritional requirements?

(Okay, now off to read all the prior responses!)