i know this is a weight loss wesbite...

Options

Replies

• lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    This is an April Fool's prank, right? I mean even the title is completely wrong. MFP is not "a weight loss site." It's a FITNESS site. I guess some people don't know what MFP stands for.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    MGP

MyGIFPalace
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »
    MGP

MyGIFPalace

That sounds about right.
  • Wreathy
    Wreathy Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    .There is also the factor to consider that eating Taco Bell once in a while but losing steadily and reducing various obesity-related health issues (for some people) IS probably more healthy than eating organic Brazil nuts grown in non-depleted soils and watered with the tears of virgin mermaids...

Well this just made my whole damned day....

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Personally, I agree with you. I follow an ancestral type diet and sustainability/health is very important to me. Food is more than just calories being ticked off a checklist. MFP is full of people like you as well as the IIFYM crowd. In the end we both end up saying the same thing...that you should eat the best food you can but not be too strict where you go nuts and don't live a little. I think some of us are better at moderating and some just need to abstain. That's just how you are wired sometimes. You can certainly train yourself and no one forces you to keep stuffing the M & M's into your mouth...but look if it's a problem and you can't have just a handful then maybe you need to reevaluate your strengths and be truthful with who you are.

Get out of here with your logic and common sense :p
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »
    JPW1990 wrote: »
    Sugarbeat wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »
    SconnieCat wrote: »
    Interesting thing about MFP, from their "about" section of their website.

"Losing weight isn't easy - we know. But with a membership to MyFitnessPal.com, you'll get the tools you need to successfully take weight off - and keep it off. And best of all, everything on our site is 100% FREE. So put away your credit card - you'll never have to pay a cent.

Study after study has confirmed the benefits of keeping track of the food you eat and the activity you do. It's simple - the more consistently you track your food intake, the more likely you are to lose weight. That's why every successful weight management program suggests that you keep a food diary and/or an activity log. But recording everything you eat without the right tools can be tedious at best, or simply impossible at worst.

At MyFitnessPal.com, we focus on making sure you can log your meals as quickly and easily as possible. Because the easier we make it for you, the more likely you are to stay on track, and the more likely you are to succeed in your weight loss goals."

The entire page is about weight loss. Nothing about fitness in general. Just weight loss and calorie counting. Just thought I'd throw that out there because some folks are saying MFP isn't a weight loss website, but obviously some people get the idea from somewhere that it is.

I'll say that the majority of people use MFP as a weight loss tool; however, in another section of the website, MFP paints their "About" section (under 'Jobs') in much broader strokes including mentions of fitness:

"MyFitnessPal helps millions of people stay healthier and happier. With a database of more than 4 million foods and hundreds of exercises, top fitness technology partners, community support, insights, and seamless access to your personal health information across all major platforms, MyFitnessPal is the leading free resource for achieving and maintaining health goals."

Even if you look at the community forums, you see numerous threads about maintaining, gaining weight, or even about fitness in general.

Not trying to get into a pissing contest...I guess since I am one of those people who is saying that MFP isn't a weight loss website I felt the need to respond.
    xaxawgzwnsf6.png

I'd say it's weight-loss focused. Especially considering that the weight loss forum is pretty much the busiest.

x33TTXn.png?1

Most newbies won't see those other forums at first, though. MFP identifies itself as a weight loss site asking people to sign up. I KNOW others use it for other purposes but it doesn't negate the fact that MFP markets itself for weight loss. I don't think people are necessarily less than educated when they are Googling weight loss websites and find this one and think its about weight loss. Its a logical train of thought. People don't usually find the forums until later.

You are making a large amount of assumptions. You don't post in the weight gain section so you don't realize it but we get plenty of people that join just because they are bulking and need advice. Just because you live in a bubble doesn't mean there isn't another world around you.

Realistically speaking, do you think MFP makes more money from the ads it serves to people trying to lose or people trying to gain? Keep in mind the millions who don't even use the forums, or know they exist, if they're not very technically inclined.

It doesn't matter what they make money of off. The point is that it isn't a "weight loss site" since it serves many functions. If it were just a weight loss site then a good amount of the members here would have deactivated since they aren't losing weight.

"Losing weight isn't easy - we know. But with a membership to MyFitnessPal.com, you'll get the tools you need to successfully take weight off - and keep it off. And best of all, everything on our site is 100% FREE. So put away your credit card - you'll never have to pay a cent.

Study after study has confirmed the benefits of keeping track of the food you eat and the activity you do. It's simple - the more consistently you track your food intake, the more likely you are to lose weight. That's why every successful weight management program suggests that you keep a food diary and/or an activity log. But recording everything you eat without the right tools can be tedious at best, or simply impossible at worst.

At MyFitnessPal.com, we focus on making sure you can log your meals as quickly and easily as possible. Because the easier we make it for you, the more likely you are to stay on track, and the more likely you are to succeed in your weight loss goals."

The entire page is about weight loss. Nothing about fitness in general. Just weight loss and calorie counting. Just thought I'd throw that out there because some folks are saying MFP isn't a weight loss website, but obviously some people get the idea from somewhere that it is.

I'll say that the majority of people use MFP as a weight loss tool; however, in another section of the website, MFP paints their "About" section (under 'Jobs') in much broader strokes including mentions of fitness:

"MyFitnessPal helps millions of people stay healthier and happier. With a database of more than 4 million foods and hundreds of exercises, top fitness technology partners, community support, insights, and seamless access to your personal health information across all major platforms, MyFitnessPal is the leading free resource for achieving and maintaining health goals."

Even if you look at the community forums, you see numerous threads about maintaining, gaining weight, or even about fitness in general.

Not trying to get into a pissing contest...I guess since I am one of those people who is saying that MFP isn't a weight loss website I felt the need to respond.
    xaxawgzwnsf6.png

I'd say it's weight-loss focused. Especially considering that the weight loss forum is pretty much the busiest.

x33TTXn.png?1

Most newbies won't see those other forums at first, though. MFP identifies itself as a weight loss site asking people to sign up. I KNOW others use it for other purposes but it doesn't negate the fact that MFP markets itself for weight loss. I don't think people are necessarily less than educated when they are Googling weight loss websites and find this one and think its about weight loss. Its a logical train of thought. People don't usually find the forums until later.

You are making a large amount of assumptions. You don't post in the weight gain section so you don't realize it but we get plenty of people that join just because they are bulking and need advice. Just because you live in a bubble doesn't mean there isn't another world around you.

Are you capable of posting without insulting someone? Just curious. I'm not making assumptions. MFP lists weight loss on the very first page, before one even signs up. Its not a giant leap for newbies to think MFP is about weight loss.

You make wild assumptions. Don't get upset when called out on it. Newbies thinking it's a weight loss site doesn't mean it's strictly a weight loss site. It's either just a weight loss site or it isn't just a weight loss site. The answer isn't that it isn't. Sorry if you don't like that.

You lost weight. didn't you? Was that before you joined MFP or was it after?

The reason I'm asking is because people change their goals over a period of time and move from Weight Loss to Maintenance to Weight Gain to Motivation and Support.

I was in Weight Loss when I joined but now I primarily see myself in Fitness and Exercise. I go to Food And Nutrition for cat gifs ;)

I lost weight prior to MFP and then after, all in one run.

And I've met plenty of people that joined this site solely to gain weight.

Sure but that's not my point. My point is people who joined solely to gain weight would be moving to next goal after their "goal" is achieved. I'm sure ambitious people seek more than one goal. Their next goal could be weight loss who knows.

I however strongly believe MFP has more advertisers gearing towards weight loss crowd than otherwise. That's the target audience for it's companies and that's where money is. There should absolutely be no denial in that truth. Everyone else is in minority over here.
  • galvitron1
    galvitron1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    While the majority of people on here use it for weight loss (I'm assuming at least) it's not strictly for that. Also fitness isn't a scientific constant. Moderation tends to be the truth, relative as it may be. If all you ever ate were Twinkies washed down with Mt Dew, then yeah I would expect one's health to be poor.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

xaxawgzwnsf6.png

x33TTXn.png?1

Realistically speaking, do you think MFP makes more money from the ads it serves to people trying to lose or people trying to gain? Keep in mind the millions who don't even use the forums, or know they exist, if they're not very technically inclined.

It doesn't matter what they make money of off. The point is that it isn't a "weight loss site" since it serves many functions. If it were just a weight loss site then a good amount of the members here would have deactivated since they aren't losing weight.

xaxawgzwnsf6.png

x33TTXn.png?1

Are you capable of posting without insulting someone? Just curious. I'm not making assumptions. MFP lists weight loss on the very first page, before one even signs up. Its not a giant leap for newbies to think MFP is about weight loss.

You make wild assumptions. Don't get upset when called out on it. Newbies thinking it's a weight loss site doesn't mean it's strictly a weight loss site. It's either just a weight loss site or it isn't just a weight loss site. The answer isn't that it isn't. Sorry if you don't like that.

The reason I'm asking is because people change their goals over a period of time and move from Weight Loss to Maintenance to Weight Gain to Motivation and Support.

I was in Weight Loss when I joined but now I primarily see myself in Fitness and Exercise. I go to Food And Nutrition for cat gifs ;)

Sure but that's not my point. My point is people who joined solely to gain weight would be moving to next goal after their "goal" is achieved. I'm sure ambitious people seek more than one goal. Their next goal could be weight loss who knows.

I however strongly believe MFP has more advertisers gearing towards weight loss crowd than otherwise. That's the target audience for it's companies and that's where money is. There should absolutely be no denial in that truth. Everyone else is in minority over here.

What?????

There are people that we see that join this site because they are skinny or lean and defined that want to bulk. So they joined here to gain weight. Sounds like you're saying those people that bulk will eventually want to drop added fat and that's why they would be here. Sorry but no.

So saying that this is a weight loss site isn't accurate because it's basically ignoring the fact that people do join this site for other reason regardless of who the majority of people do.

I said "....who knows" . I would suggest you read the entire conversation and not just the last comment and within the last comment not just one sentence.

It will help.
  • NotQuiteNorm
    NotQuiteNorm Posts: 283 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I do find an awful lot of people saying "eat some ice cream" if OP's ask for help upping calories (because nutritious foods are usually more filling than the sweets etc previously going into the person's mouth) and things like this. I suppose it means treat yourself but alike me many people don't want to go eating these things for the sake of filling their calorie goals to an acceptable level... One scoop can quickly turn into a tub for me so I steer clear of buying things like ice cream!
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote:
    I however strongly believe MFP has more advertisers gearing towards weight loss crowd than otherwise

You may believe that but the facts don't back that up I'm afarid. The majority of the advertising is actually targeted from your own internet history. So if you search for weightloss things you get weightloss things. The majority of the advertising I see is running orientated and I'm sure those that lift their advertising is so targeted. Even the MFP own blog the articles are more healthy living then weightloss. So to say the advertising is weightloss orientated is just wrong I'm afraid.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

xaxawgzwnsf6.png

x33TTXn.png?1

xaxawgzwnsf6.png

x33TTXn.png?1

Usually the ads are based on your browsing history.
    Today I have:
    -Land's End Best of Swim 2015 (been looking for a new swim suit, it won't be long before the one I bought in Feb doesn't fit)
    -Amazon Prime ad reminding me that I added Comedy Central Presents: Stand Up Season 1 to my watch list with a button to start streaming now
    -crediteria (because I belong to a site called Swagbucks that had me go to that site for an offer)
    -Kraft Fiery Cheeses (not sure, but love kraft cheese)
    -Amazon Prime ad reminding me that I added the Jeff Dunham show to my watchlist
    -At&t Uverse add (probably since I was comparing prices not that long ago)
    -Loreal Paris Ever Pure (because I was looking up coupons for the hair dye recently )
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    4qoanig0m9g4.gif
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Is this real life?

• uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    This is a weight loss site??? I did not know that.

v3h7o4mr3tov.gif
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    So if I sautéed some chicken with some fajita seasoning, put it in a flour tortilla with shredded cheddar and lettuce, would that be better for me than ordering a taco with chicken, shredded cheddar and lettuce in a flour tortilla from Taco Bell? Anyone care to enlighten me with the difference? And if it's because chemicals, which ones and what harm will they have on my body? Thanks in advance!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    So if I sautéed some chicken with some fajita seasoning, put it in a flour tortilla with shredded cheddar and lettuce, would that be better for me than ordering a taco with chicken, shredded cheddar and lettuce in a flour tortilla from Taco Bell? Anyone care to enlighten me with the difference? And if it's because chemicals, which ones and what harm will they have on my body? Thanks in advance!

Taco bells is probably higher in sodium. (doesn't stop me from eating there though :wink:)
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options

xaxawgzwnsf6.png

x33TTXn.png?1

xaxawgzwnsf6.png

x33TTXn.png?1

Usually the ads are based on your browsing history.
    Today I have:
    -Land's End Best of Swim 2015 (been looking for a new swim suit, it won't be long before the one I bought in Feb doesn't fit)
    -Amazon Prime ad reminding me that I added Comedy Central Presents: Stand Up Season 1 to my watch list with a button to start streaming now
    -crediteria (because I belong to a site called Swagbucks that had me go to that site for an offer)
    -Kraft Fiery Cheeses (not sure, but love kraft cheese)
    -Amazon Prime ad reminding me that I added the Jeff Dunham show to my watchlist
    -At&t Uverse add (probably since I was comparing prices not that long ago)
    -Loreal Paris Ever Pure (because I was looking up coupons for the hair dye recently )

Haha! Our microwave died a few days ago. I did a bunch of online research to find a replacement microwave that would fit in our cabinet, was the right color, wattage, etc. Virtually every ad banner on every website I go to is now microwave ads.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

Taco bells is probably higher in sodium. (doesn't stop me from eating there though :wink:)

Possibly, depending on the seasoning I'd use, but I don't have any health issues that require a low sodium diet, so going over a little wouldn't affect me.