Things that aren't worth the calories........

Options

Replies

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Also not worth the cals: full fat mayo and cream cheese. I only ever use mayo for tuna sandwiches and occasionally for a topping on a burger or hot dog, so half-fat doesn't bother me there. Philly light doesn't taste too bad, I only have that in tomato or salmon sandwiches.

Reduced fat havarti is tolerable, so is light goat cheese for salad and omelette toppings. For cottage cheese, I actually prefer the 1% (less, idk, cottage-cheesey). I prefer 2% yogurt but am going for 0% lately because I need to shave cals.

I am kind of grossed out by light cheddar. I do eat that sometimes, when I want a gooey toasted cheese sandwich, because the real thing would just be ridiculous. It doesn't melt properly at all and I'm slightly weirded out, but it's not worth the cals.

So those are my concessions, mostly - I trade when I'd like a little cheesy or fatty "extra" in something else and cheese isn't the star. (Other than that toasted sandwich, but that's an indulgence. It's also something I have when I'm not feeling well, it just goes down easier than really fibrous or meaty things.)

When I'm enjoying cheese qua cheese, like it's on a sideboard with grapes or cured meats or something like that, I have the real thing.

I always have 10% cream with my coffee.
  • BettyM1017
    BettyM1017 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Just about any drink that isn't water, wine, or whiskey. Fast food is definitely not worth the calories. Cheap chocolate and store bought sweets. I decided years ago that if I was going to splurge and spend my hard earned money, it had to be exceptional. It helps that I'm a good cook and baker, lol!
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I'm going with McDonald's Milkshakes, but ONLY because they're complete crap. Got my hubby a Shamrock shake the Sunday before St. Patrick's day. It looked great. Started to eat/drink it and it was complete soup. EFF THAT! So we went to Arby's On St. Patricks and got their Andes Mint shake and it was 1000% better. Will never buy a milkshake from McD's again.

Interesting. I always get one Shamrock shake a year out of tradition. I've never even gone to Arby's! I'll have to try one of their shakes. I've never "loved" the Shamrock shake but found it passable as a once in awhile treat.
  • thenewkayla
    thenewkayla Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'd have to agree with full calorie soda. The calorie free versions usually taste just as good.
    Really there all gross to me
  • Whittedo
    Whittedo Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    French Fries.
  • britkneemeyer
    britkneemeyer Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    for me its cereal, pasta, fried food, cookies because the are low on my dessert list and i can eat 400 of them frappuchinos and whipped cream on coffee.
    things that ARE worth all of the calories to my personal tastes are iced soy lattes, guacamole, peanut butter, pizza, brownies, chinese food.
  • Danixkm
    Danixkm Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Cheese! It's fine in moderation but my brain doesn't know the meaning of cheese and moderation together. It's not worth taking up nearly half your allowance on cheese to me =/
  • joellenbeck17
    Options
    Soda, not worth the calories. Unsweetened tea for me please :) Also mayo and ranch.. Not worth it. CHEESE however... Worth it every time!!!
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Fizzy drinks/Soda and Nuts!
    I know they're good for you but Nuts are so calorific,.......why???
    For a good handful of Nuts, i could have a small Meal! Lol
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    Anyone saying bagels cannot live in the northeast (especially NY and NJ), lol! Fresh bagel shop bagels are so worth it. I haven't had one in months but will set aside maintenance calories for one about once a week.

I have a friend that brings me bagels from NY sometimes. I will definitely make room for one of them the next time. I don't eat bagels otherwise because nothing even comes close to a lovely fresh NY bagel.

Yesterday I found out that commercially made lemonade isn't worth the calories. 260 calories for a tiny bottle that was way too sweet. Making it at home next time!
  • likehlikeo
    likehlikeo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I tend to cut out more and more stuff that seems not worth it: Nut butters, rice, honey, full fat soy milk, pasta, margerine, these fake soy nuggets, fried stuff, oils in the pan (I use a non stick one), soda, also chips/snacks. I rather have a big plate of steamed brocoli with some tofu than a small portion of fries for more calories in front of me...
  • lovabee
    lovabee Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I agree on the soda. I never have any because I hardly taste any difference between normal and diet soda. Fruit juices are another one for me as are most alcoholic drinks.
    My mom used to buy low fat cheese which was horribly chewy, I'd rather go for real cheese.

I also cook without using oil most of the time using a non-stick pan. Saves a bunch of calories.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    likehlikeo wrote: »
    I rather have a big plate of steamed brocoli with some tofu than a small portion of fries for more calories in front of me...
    Really???
    No, ....not me! The fries would win every time. Lol

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    runem2011 wrote: »
    In my opinion, when calorie counting nothing should be off limits, it's when you start depriving yourself of the things you enjoy, that you just crave them more. Just work them into your days allowance. I even add sweet treats before I've eaten them, I've found that if I see them logged in my diary I am less likely to actually want them as my mind thinks I've already eaten them, but I know if i do eat it its already allowed for.
    It works for me. :smiley:
    Hope you all have a fantastic day, add me if you like, anyone :smile:

If it's not worth it, then it's really not deprivation.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    regular soda for me. also granola.
  • gonebeast
    gonebeast Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Any Starbucks drink, nutella, butter, junk food/fast food, fried things, white bread, ice cream, candy.

Pizza and Pasta r the only "bad foods" I allow myself
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,324 Member
    Options
    bagels
  • RougeSara
    RougeSara Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Nuts...I love them and they're good for you but jeez. Their calorie content is obscene. And seeds too.
  • cosmiqrecovery
    cosmiqrecovery Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Cadbury cream eggs made your list? I cry.

Mostly bread though. I've been off bread for ages aside from one day when I was feeling too nauseous for anything else. Especially if it's on a cheeseburger or something. I'm after what's INSIDE the bun. Never looked back after I found out my favorite burger place did lettuce wraps.

Also milkshakes that aren't made with real ice cream. I'll still pound back a Sonic milkshake on a bad day.