Things that aren't worth the calories........

Options

Replies

• kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I couldn't really think of anything.. I guess grocery store cupcakes. I bake, and mine are way better.
  • ginny92802
    ginny92802 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I hate drinking calories, so soda and especially juices. For the sugar and cals I can think of many other things I would much rather have, most of which involve chewing.
  • illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    All soda, except Sprite. Gottdang. Generally get 20 oz every two weeks or so. Last time I tried a Sprite Zero and four sips in threw it away. Gotta have my partially hydrogenated pixelized cardabudilated high fructose corn syrup.
  • annemw82
    annemw82 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Soda for sure. Pretty much all fast food. It taste like hell and just sits like a rock in my gut making me feel awful.

And definitely though super sugary high calorie coffee drinks. I used to work at a plus size store in the mall and women would come in and complain about how we changed our sizes and they fit smaller now and they know it's the clothes and not them because they are on a diet.....and then they would take a big drink of a venti mocha frappachino with extra caramel and whipped cream.....hmmmmmm.
  • krknobbe10
    krknobbe10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I would say almost anything that makes me hungry shortly I after I eat it and doesn't hold me over until my next meal unless it is a cookie or something I have after I ate my main meal like protein and fiber which helps keep me full until my next meal. Having something sweet to top off a meal is fine with me as long as I eat it in moderation :) My sister is a registered dietitian so she has taught me moderation is key and then I don't feel so deprived and completely waste all my hard work on over eating sweets and stuff.
  • slowbutsure2
    Options
    Custard slices are definitely worth it!
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Ice cream - so many calories for such a small serving, and I'm not a big ice cream eater anyway.

Cream sauces - Have never liked these, not wasting what could be enormous calories eating it.

Chips - because I have no self control and that family sized bag is going down.

Cheap bakery anything, specialty coffee drinks and Frappuccino's, and convenience-store chocolate bars. I love cheese, but I'm skipping it where I can. Poutine...how I both love and hate you.
  • stepoco
    stepoco Posts: 50 Member
    Options

Oh, I forgot! Gluten free replacements of gluten-containing items. I've had celiac disease a long time, and have had a lot of GF items over the years. GF bread won't sop up the egg yolk just so, nor will the toast from it soak in butter correctly. GF pizza crust is just sad and there's no crispy crust with cheese clinging to it waiting for you at the end of the piece. There's no such thing as a nice, crunchy GF baguette. Just not worth the calories.

Not to mention that gluten free replacements are usually higher in calories than what they replace.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    mummma wrote: »
    I was just having this discussion with my friends. what do you think isn't worth the calories.

we came up with. non diet soda, nutella, cadburys cream eggs, wine, energy drinks, anything with full fat milk, McDonalds milkshakes...

edited: coke because some people cant get their head around the English 'full fat coke' thing

also this is what people have decided its not worth spending their calorie allowance on. none of it is wrong. each to their own. its just a conversation.

full fat coke= regular coke not diet?

• mizzzc
    mizzzc Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I think it's interesting how anyone who advises to eat whatever they want but in moderation is getting flagged....hmm it's as if someone doesn't want them to have an opinion hmmmm....though i have only read the first page of this convo..LOL
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Candy bars (though I am not too picky and don't mind the 'cheaper' varieties at the check out.)

Ice Cream : Wimpy portion for store bought measurements. I do love DQ Blizzards but the calorie counts for all sizes are generally INSANE!

Cookies (almost any kind, tiny amount for the calories, some don't even taste all that good.)

Nuts. I like them, but the portions for the calories are small.

Chips. But I can however do the pre-measured individual sized bags. But the amount is still kinda wimpy. But it's better than I nothing if you really enjoy chips I suppose.

Bakery stuff (my kryptonite) Donuts, cakes, pies, pastries. All sugar laden, high carb, HIGH calories.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    mizzzc wrote: »
    I think it's interesting how anyone who advises to eat whatever they want but in moderation is getting flagged....hmm it's as if someone doesn't want them to have an opinion hmmmm....though i have only read the first page of this convo..LOL

It is odd to flag them, but posts like that are pretty off topic in this thread.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    mizzzc wrote: »

It is odd to flag them, but posts like that are pretty off topic in this thread.

Agree, flagging's odd but this thread is about which substitutions help people stick to their targets and which don't. It's not ideological lol
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Whittedo wrote: »
    French Fries.

say what????? I have never had a bad fry. I would say regular sodas. and agree with whoever said peas.
  • NotQuiteNorm
    NotQuiteNorm Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Store-bought baked goods like cakes! Chances are you can bake whatever it is yourself for fewer calories, with the bonus of eating them when they're still warm with the smell filling the kitchen! :smiley:
  • noobletmcnugget
    noobletmcnugget Posts: 518 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Any sugary drinks just aren't worth it (including cider and wine! I'd rather stick to vodka and diet coke) :wink: When I'm watching my calorie intake most junk food completely loses its appeal to me. It just feels like a waste of calories, because I know I'll be fuller for a lot longer if I stick to normal food.

To all the people saying pasta, that surprises me. The pasta I buy is only 160 calories per 100g, which is a plenty big enough serving for dinner, especially if you add veg and stuff.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Sugary drinks, cheesecake, juice, store bought baked goods, full fat ice cream, most full fat dairy, bar margaritas, fast food, marbled steaks, breaded deep fried fish

Those are the ones that sprang quickly to mind.

Bar Margaritas! I used to love the Perfect Margarita at Applebees until I walked past the gallon jug of pre-made margarita mix left on the bar and got a peek at the ingredient list. EEEK! First one - high fructose corn syrup (and 245 calories). I'd rather make my own with fresh limes and a little sugar for half the calories.

I usually don't think full fat dairy is worth the calories, but accidentally bought 4% cottage cheese last week. Man am I enjoying it -lesser quantities than usual, but it is yummy!

Also, any of the blended coffee drinks that taste like milkshakes. Not worth it!

• kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Cookies like the Chips Ahoy Birthday Cake Frosting that I bought tonight
    Little Debbie Snacks & a lot of the other snack cakes

Also Kale because it just vile:D.

• gretch23
    gretch23 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Juice, full fat milk, fast food, non diet soda...
  • Ascendio
    Ascendio Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Not worth it:
    Regular soda, I'm perfectly satisfied with Diet on the occasions I want it
    Regular peanut butter, I am satisfied with the peanut-y goodness of PB2, and I like being able to control the thickness of it
    Milk chocolate, I have a huge sweet tooth but milk chocolate just isn't chocolatey enough! I need to save those calories for dark chocolate.