EATING CLEAN VERSUS EATING LESS

Options

Replies

• Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Peoples' negative responses, in such arrogant manner, are the reason I've stopped posting to either help, defend or assist anyone in any way on the forums.. Nor will I ever ask for advice or post opinion regarding health and nutrition again.

That's a shame as there is a wealth of information and support on here not unlike RL.

You wouldn't stop leaving the house or meeting new people just because of a bad experience in life would you?

There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here who are willing to provide free advice, support etc read this link below for an example of how much people go out of their way to share.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1
  • EatMoreJustBetter
    Options
    Well thank you to everyone who is humoring me and gave good insight... to everyone else really its MFP lighten up... lifes a game you don't make it out alive.... :p
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Can I volunteer for the eating all the junk food and still loosing weight experiment please?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Does anyone know how I change the original post to reflect my new goal of 2309 or do I have to start over??? Original grains = non GMO's like spelt

Welllll, I'm gonna get nitpicky here, and point out that any domesticated crop is a GMO (genetically modified organism) by definition, and spelt is a hybrid of domesticated wheat and wild goat-grass (or of domesticated emmer and domesticated bread wheat). The earliest archaeological evidence of its existence is from around the 5th millennium BCE. In the grand scheme of things that's not very original. But okay.

Nit picky just here huh? LOL. Actually its believed that hexaploid wheat originated via hybridization of hulled tetraploid emmer with Aegilops tauschii (genomes DD) and that the nascent hexaploid was spelt, from which free-threshing wheat evolved by mutations.

And anyway, GMO means genetically modified in a way that does not occur naturally by mating and/or natural recombination... so just any crop is hybrid does not mean its considered GMO.

Ya see @Nony_Mouse understands what she wrote whereas I doubt you have the slightest inkling of the meaning of what you copied and pasted

And over here we are lead to believe that US grains are indeed GM crops ...we were surprised that this was allowed as there was a huge uproar in the UK re GM

No GMO has the same definition everywhere, you can genetically change items through interbreeding its considered natural and not GMO, but I wont argue terms you can look up yourself.

Meantime, many botanist believe that wheat originated through spelt, not the other way around but because it was so long ago you are going to have differing opinions. Not really relent but its not GMO based on recombination, that has never been part of the definition. Again, look it up yourself.

Hmmm, interesting, given that we have much older archaeological evidence for other wheats, both wild and domesticated than we do for spelt (and fyi, their domestication didn't necessarily involve any hybridisation, just human-induced genetic changes - ie selective breeding - of the original plants themselves) .
  • EatMoreJustBetter
    Options
    OP I think there are some things for you to consider here--

You were talking about a small cut, then maintenance, and in your last post you said you're going to be eating in a surplus. It sounds like a surplus is really what you want (to prove that eating "clean" allows you to eat over your maintenance calories), so I'd aim for a couple of hundred calories over your TDEE. The problem is that you don't really know your TDEE. Might I suggest a month or two of logging to establish your actual tested maintenance? For example, MFP says my maintenance is 1600 calories but it's actually at least 100 calories higher than that, plus exercise calories. So if I ate at "maintenance" without having tested it first I'd still lose weight. That's going to throw off your results. Also are you going to have a control? That is, a month where you don't eat "clean" to compare the results?

Secondly you need to define what you mean by "clean." I would not consider protein shakes to be unprocessed. Quite the opposite. I also wouldn't consider things like cheese, preserved meats like sausage, bread of any kind, etc. to be "clean." Other people might think some of those are okay-- I think if you're Paleo, for example, you can have butter but it has to be grass fed. Personally I'd think butter would be out.

I agree that an open diary is a must. Specifically I'm not interested so much in whether you lose more weight but in how your adherence is. Because to me even if I wanted to eat "clean" it just isn't practical. Like you pointed out, that's a lot of meat and vegetables. That's one reason why the IIFYM crowd say that it won't hurt anything to include some foods that aren't considered "clean." If your TDEE is 3500 like some of the guys here it just isn't practical not to include some of those foods.

One other person on here gave me sight they got their TDEE from, which put mine at 2309... and someone else said just add 1000 calories to my loss deficit which put me at about the same...so I will be aiming for minimal 2310.... you have to understand if I do this a month and have only lost .5 lbs that not a win, I am looking for like an 8lb drop minimal first month....I am not so narcissistic as to claim victory over split hairs, I am not that person....

No if I were going to do both I would definitely eat clean first, then eat not clean just for hormone reasons...

I agree butter is out, I never use it anyway.... I use light olive oil... but yes I there is a lot I will not be eating... it wont be convieint and again I am nnot sure I can eat that much in the kind of foods I inteend to eat but I sure will try and we will see what happens, I am not affraid to fail and I don't mind being wrong...

Yes I know not including clean food sometimes but I mean i literally had a person tell me they eat hamburgers with doughnuts as their bread ... so not sure about their cholesterol or diabetes but hey their weight is ok.... lol
  • EatMoreJustBetter
    Options
    Can I volunteer for the eating all the junk food and still loosing weight experiment please?

Are you serious???
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    OP I think there are some things for you to consider here--

You were talking about a small cut, then maintenance, and in your last post you said you're going to be eating in a surplus. It sounds like a surplus is really what you want (to prove that eating "clean" allows you to eat over your maintenance calories), so I'd aim for a couple of hundred calories over your TDEE. The problem is that you don't really know your TDEE. Might I suggest a month or two of logging to establish your actual tested maintenance? For example, MFP says my maintenance is 1600 calories but it's actually at least 100 calories higher than that, plus exercise calories. So if I ate at "maintenance" without having tested it first I'd still lose weight. That's going to throw off your results. Also are you going to have a control? That is, a month where you don't eat "clean" to compare the results?

Secondly you need to define what you mean by "clean." I would not consider protein shakes to be unprocessed. Quite the opposite. I also wouldn't consider things like cheese, preserved meats like sausage, bread of any kind, etc. to be "clean." Other people might think some of those are okay-- I think if you're Paleo, for example, you can have butter but it has to be grass fed. Personally I'd think butter would be out.

I agree that an open diary is a must. Specifically I'm not interested so much in whether you lose more weight but in how your adherence is. Because to me even if I wanted to eat "clean" it just isn't practical. Like you pointed out, that's a lot of meat and vegetables. That's one reason why the IIFYM crowd say that it won't hurt anything to include some foods that aren't considered "clean." If your TDEE is 3500 like some of the guys here it just isn't practical not to include some of those foods.

One other person on here gave me sight they got their TDEE from, which put mine at 2309... and someone else said just add 1000 calories to my loss deficit which put me at about the same...so I will be aiming for minimal 2310.... you have to understand if I do this a month and have only lost .5 lbs that not a win, I am looking for like an 8lb drop minimal first month....I am not so narcissistic as to claim victory over split hairs, I am not that person....

No if I were going to do both I would definitely eat clean first, then eat not clean just for hormone reasons...

I agree butter is out, I never use it anyway.... I use light olive oil... but yes I there is a lot I will not be eating... it wont be convieint and again I am nnot sure I can eat that much in the kind of foods I inteend to eat but I sure will try and we will see what happens, I am not affraid to fail and I don't mind being wrong...

Yes I know not including clean food sometimes but I mean i literally had a person tell me they eat hamburgers with doughnuts as their bread ... so not sure about their cholesterol or diabetes but hey their weight is ok.... lol

The point is that that's just what a calculator says your maintenance is. You need to test it to be sure it's correct.

Olive oil is processed too. You probably think that's hair splitting but that's the point. You need to explain what your rules are going to be.

You also need to account for the water weight drop you'll likely see from the drop in sodium. That's assuming you eat processed foods now.
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting...

FYI though, light olive oil is more processed than extra virgin. It is only called light due to its lighter color. Learned that on The Chew the thee day.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Trollpost is too obvious. Where's the fun in that? :(
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Never said I know what is best or implied it. Also I think you mistake humor for more negative connotations.

You may have encountered several of the "aforementioned ["curse word edited"s]" but what of the thousands of helpful and positive posts and replies? I think you fixate upon the negative, I think you need to lighten up.

Yeah, maybe you're right. A few bad apples and all that...

I think it may help to improve our "playground" to report those bad apples...

Report people who are being abusive. Do not report people who are simply telling another poster that they're wrong, or their idea won't work. It's a waste of the mods time, and frankly - we're all supposed to be adults. This thread, for instance - not one person has been rude or mean to the OP. They've disagreed with her idea, and have said so, but there is nothing at all reportable in this thread. Y'know, except for someone calling other people a-holes.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If it is impossible to gain weight eating "real" food or "clean" food, how did the human race survive to even invent processing? Wouldn't our ancestors all died due to failure to put on weight?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    To the OP there is a MFP forum called EM2WL (eat more to weight less @em2wl.com).

You should join this group.

When I read your initial post I suspected trolling but when I saw the amount of weight needed to loose I predicted you consume or consumed a lot more than 2100 calories to gain 80+ pounds..

Good luck with this... you have chosen a fine path to follow... :o;):*
  • Ddonna82
    Ddonna82 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Wow, why are you people being so rude, if that's the way she wants to go about it, she can. We're all here for one reason which is to become more healthy and loose weight the healthy way, everyone's body is different it it doesn't work out then she can try an different method. While I'm still on my journey, I've definitely been switching things up to see which method works for me. And I know for a fact that every person that has lost weight had to eventually find out which beat his or her body moves too. Stay Blessed Everyone
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Ddonna82 wrote: »
    Wow, why are you people being so rude, if that's the way she wants to go about it, she can. We're all here for one reason which is to become more healthy and loose weight the healthy way, everyone's body is different. . .

Nobody is saying she can't eat this way.

The issue is with her declaration that this experiment will potentially demonstrate that one can lose weight without a caloric deficit. Everyone's body is different, but our bodies aren't that different. Even if they were, an "experiment" of one doesn't provide meaningful information.

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Wow, why are you people being so rude, if that's the way she wants to go about it, she can. We're all here for one reason which is to become more healthy and loose weight the healthy way, everyone's body is different. . .

Nobody is saying she can't eat this way.

The issue is with her declaration that this experiment will potentially demonstrate that one can lose weight without a caloric deficit. Everyone's body is different, but our bodies aren't that different. Even if they were, an "experiment" of one doesn't provide meaningful information.

If someone claims they can lose weight without a caloric deficit, then they are claiming that their body is a black hole able to magically make ingested energy disappear without it being accounted for. The government would like to explore this phenomenon and will pay OP a visit shortly
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Does anyone know how I change the original post to reflect my new goal of 2309 or do I have to start over??? Original grains = non GMO's like spelt

Welllll, I'm gonna get nitpicky here, and point out that any domesticated crop is a GMO (genetically modified organism) by definition, and spelt is a hybrid of domesticated wheat and wild goat-grass (or of domesticated emmer and domesticated bread wheat). The earliest archaeological evidence of its existence is from around the 5th millennium BCE. In the grand scheme of things that's not very original. But okay.

Nit picky just here huh? LOL. Actually its believed that hexaploid wheat originated via hybridization of hulled tetraploid emmer with Aegilops tauschii (genomes DD) and that the nascent hexaploid was spelt, from which free-threshing wheat evolved by mutations.

And anyway, GMO means genetically modified in a way that does not occur naturally by mating and/or natural recombination... so just any crop is hybrid does not mean its considered GMO.

Ya see @Nony_Mouse understands what she wrote whereas I doubt you have the slightest inkling of the meaning of what you copied and pasted

And over here we are lead to believe that US grains are indeed GM crops ...we were surprised that this was allowed as there was a huge uproar in the UK re GM

No GMO has the same definition everywhere, you can genetically change items through interbreeding its considered natural and not GMO, but I wont argue terms you can look up yourself.

Meantime, many botanist believe that wheat originated through spelt, not the other way around but because it was so long ago you are going to have differing opinions. Not really relent but its not GMO based on recombination, that has never been part of the definition. Again, look it up yourself.

You know American isn't the only language right? As far as I'm aware GMO and GE are only used in the states and the prevalent meaning of GM in the UK is your GE

So I apologise for not translating your meaning up front when you copied and pasted that hexaploid line ...oh the curse of a google education
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Wow, why are you people being so rude, if that's the way she wants to go about it, she can. We're all here for one reason which is to become more healthy and loose weight the healthy way, everyone's body is different it it doesn't work out then she can try an different method. While I'm still on my journey, I've definitely been switching things up to see which method works for me. And I know for a fact that every person that has lost weight had to eventually find out which beat his or her body moves too. Stay Blessed Everyone

People are different. Bodies, chemistry etc are very similar. Weight loss is calories in vs out, period. You eat more than you burn, you gain weight. You eat less than you burn, you lose. It's that simple. Illness, hormonal imbalances, etc. may effect the calories out side of the equation, but it's still calories in vs out. To think that "eating clean" is magical, and that you can eat as much as you want without gaining weight because you are eating "healthy", illustrates a true lack of understanding. And your second bolded statement - You know for a fact? really? I didn't need to find a beat, so I guess you should check your facts.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I think you're very bold for doing this publicly. Gotta give you credit for that. cheers!
  • paultucker1007
    paultucker1007 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I believe there is no harm in the OP from learning from first hand experience, sometimes borrowed knowledge just isn't satisfying enough.

I can understand this point of view. For example, when I decided that I needed to post on this thread, I felt that I simply couldn't rely on using a computer that was designed and made with knowledge and processes that I didn't experience myself. Instead of spending some money at my local electronics retailer, I spent 5000 years rediscovering electronics, programming, microchip fabrication, mining, transportation, electricity etc etc and singlehandedly crafted a 14.1" Sony VAIO from scratch.

TOTALLY worth it.
  • milligan013
    milligan013 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm eating Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies for Breakfast, so Count me in on the junk food diet! Really working so far at Day 200!