EATING CLEAN VERSUS EATING LESS

Options

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    OP does get cudos for going public with this and all the mocking, sarcasm and scrutiny to come...

I presumed that her 800 additional calories is still a deficit. My thing is 8 weeks of wasting time and getting a lot of flack for doing this public..

But OP probably really does not give a rats *** about what anybody thinks... this may be the end goal to get the MFP community in an up roar (this thread is already at 5 pages and will grow immensely)..
  • Cryptonomnomicon
    Cryptonomnomicon Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I believe there is no harm in the OP from learning from first hand experience, sometimes borrowed knowledge just isn't satisfying enough.

I can understand this point of view. For example, when I decided that I needed to post on this thread, I felt that I simply couldn't rely on using a computer that was designed and made with knowledge and processes that I didn't experience myself. Instead of spending some money at my local electronics retailer, I spent 5000 years rediscovering electronics, programming, microchip fabrication, mining, transportation, electricity etc etc and singlehandedly crafted a 14.1" Sony VAIO from scratch.

TOTALLY worth it.
    Damn you went through all that effort and you went with a 14.1" Sony VAIO.!?!

I think you better start all over again.

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    OP does get cudos for going public with this and all the mocking, sarcasm and scrutiny to come...

I presumed that her 800 additional calories is still a deficit. My thing is 8 weeks of wasting time and getting a lot of flack for doing this public..

But OP probably really does not give a rats *** about what anybody thinks... this may be the end goal to get the MFP community in an up roar (this thread is already at 5 pages and will grow immensely)..

Yes I assume it would be also. 2100 is maintenance for me when I'm active, and I'm very small. But OP is claiming she's going to lose weight despite a surplus, so that's why I told her she needs to figure out what maintenance is first. I would not be at all surprised if she loses weight on 2100 or even 2300. It doesn't mean anything unless she's tested that 2300 is the level at which she maintains her weight before she starts.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

No, after questioning it was established that she thinks she can eat above TDEE (ie at a surplus) and lose weight as long as she eats 'clean' (though what that actually means is still a little up in the air), so the additional calories were increased. She's hoping for 8lbs in a month.

I for one will certainly be watching this space.
  • RoxieDawn
    edited April 2015
    Options

Yes I assume it would be also. 2100 is maintenance for me when I'm active, and I'm very small. But OP is claiming she's going to lose weight despite a surplus, so that's why I told her she needs to figure out what maintenance is first. I would not be at all surprised if she loses weight on 2100 or even 2300. It doesn't mean anything unless she's tested that 2300 is the level at which she maintains her weight before she starts.

Agreed and I think we pointed out something that the OP has not revealed...eating at maintenance test prior to setting this up is the key in this equation..

Since we agree on this, just how much weight is going to be lost, may a couple of ounces a week? And the definition of eating clean will be quite interesting...

How does one really know if truthful logging is being done in the nutrition diary and weight tracker?

• tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Hi all, welcome to my experiment...

I will be eating 2100

I believe I will still lose weight without starving myself because eating clean and burning fat is far different than eating junk and burning muscle... whats more I think I will lose more weight this way...

Good luck!

And for the skeptics (I'm one) - is there anything this person would do that would convince you of any of the results? I don't believe the Food Babe. Or the Banana Guy. Or Dr. Oz. Because they are all out of whack and lack scientific rigour. And not to put too fine a point to it, but all these hacks have more to lose than the OP of this thread.

Heck, people get all out of shape here for not citing peer-reviewed research. So there's literally way most of us would believe in the rigour of your experiment (sure, you "logged" it. Doesn't mean your logging is auditable, or that you actually ate what you displayed, etc.). So I say go for it. Considering your starting point, you're probably much better off with those changes in your diet and you get to learn about yourself. As for contribution to general scientific knowledge, irrespective of success or failure? Minuscule.
  • RoxieDawn
    Options
    If the OP logs in the diary and changes the weight tracker will we believe it? Will the community think it is not truthful logging?

Will someone actually go, wow this really works and start eating 800+ calories and eat the things that are logged? NOPE..
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure there's a woman who's around here quite a lot... she's vegan, or vegetarian. She's often said that she gained most of her weight by 'eating clean', but eating too much of it. I myself barely get any 'clean' food into my diet. I mostly eat 'processed' meat, sandwiches, 'junk' food, 'processed' yoghurt and 'processed' soups. And chocolate. I eat tomatoes sometimes, tinned sweetcorn maybe once a week and an apple every other day, on average, and that's all the fruit and vegetables I usually get. I've lost 52lbs eating like this, just under calories. I know that for my general health I should probably eat better (though I haven't had any health problems) but I don't have a kitchen right now.
    Good luck, OP, but I don't think it's going to work. Please make sure you log accurately. :smile:
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    OP- I wish you luck.
    My guess is that you will get the same results I did: steady weight gain as a result of eating above your TDEE. And my diet was almost exclusively plant based. Some unpasteurized dairy, homemade baked goods made of ancient and sprouted grains, occasional local, grass fed, lean cuts of meat. I ate nothing from conventional grocery stores, nothing non-organic, no added salt or sugar. It was just a slightly less destructive, if more time consuming version of the eating disorder I'd already been battling for ten years.
    Yesterday I had two bowls of Chocolate Marshmallow Mateys AND ice cream, in addition to a healthy balanced diet, I stayed about 400 calories below my TDEE, hit my macros and micros and I'm much happier and healthier than I was when eating a non organic apple was the worst thing I could imagine doing to myself. I have also lost 60 pounds.

All that being said, if you eat processed foods now and intend to go cold turkey, I imagine you will lose lots of water weight, but that =/= fat loss.
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Can I volunteer for the eating all the junk food and still loosing weight experiment please?

Are you serious???

No
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    These people ate clean and gained weight
    http://www.healthylivingheavylifting.com/the-perils-of-clean-eating/
    “I worked with a doctor for 3 years who prescribed a strict elimination diet. No sugar, no starches. He told me to eat meat, fat, full fat dairy, non starchy vegetables, and nuts. 6x per day. Quantity didn’t matter. 3 years. I didn’t question it until he wasn’t able to answer my question – Why had I gained 30 pounds?”
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Oh noes

It's OUR thread

Cos that's the way the internet works

Good luck though :)

cackle
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    TL:DR-
    sorry but if "clean eating" works so great, how did you come to need to lose 80 pounds?
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    sorry but if "clean eating" works so great, how did you come to need to lose 80 pounds?

She mentioned that she used to eat lots of 'junk'.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

She mentioned that she used to eat lots of 'junk'.

Then I'm sure someone mentioned a caloric deficit is all that's necessary for weight loss.
    OP, I'd be more inclined to look at sustainability of your food choices. IMO, labeling how ones going to eat is setting oneself up for failure. I believe in eating how I plan to carry on.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I didn't read all 6 pages. Just the first couple.

If you are going to do this right, you are going to have to figure out your TDEE the real way. Not some calculator on the internet. Otherwise the test doesn't prove anything. For the first 4 months, I lost well over what I should have been losing eating "processed junk". The reason being is that I hadn't really figured out my TDEE. I just used calculators/estimates.

Now, if you have already done that in the few month prior, disregard.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    In order for it to be useful, OP (as I suggested earlier) needs to establish her true TDEE then eat regular food at maintenance then replace regular food with her consideration of what is clean food

And each stage should last a minimum of 8 weeks

THAT would be interesting

This.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Peoples' negative responses, in such arrogant manner, are the reason I've stopped posting to either help, defend or assist anyone in any way on the forums.. Nor will I ever ask for advice or post opinion regarding health and nutrition again.

LOL MFP forums got you butthurt.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I wanna say something but I would mess up this waste of time experiment OP wants to. It funny she uses that it will be hard to consume a very low calorie foods to get to high calorie intake. That right there tells you something does it not?

Spinach really. One of the lowest calorie foods. LOL. This is too funny. Well OP this will set you back until you reason it from your 80 pound ticker.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I think this could be a really interesting experiment (although like others said there's an issue with controls--you'd need scale photos and photos in general, at the least).

The bigger issue, as rabbitjb and others have pointed out, is that you need a reliable TDEE and guidelines for the rules, as well as an open diary. And you need some way of monitoring or accounting for changes in activity. I think it would make sense to define what was being excluded and included and why (the reasoning for why the particular food is believed to be bad or good for losing weight).

When I started I was told by MFP that I'd lose about 1.8 lbs at 1250, and I lost closer to 3 on average for a while. I think it's because I was more active than I realized, and that's before getting into the issue of actual exercise calories (which I ate back, at least in part). (It also could be because the calculators were off for me, but currently my results are pretty close to the scooby calculator, although have always been above the IIFYM predictions.)